Type keyword(s) to search

Oops! Bloopers And Other Production Mistakes On TV Shows

• Start Topic

Thanks for telling me. I've corrected my mistake. I hope you're this meticulous about everyone's spelling.

To be fair, Steve Harvey found this out the hard way when he misspelled both Colombia and the Philippines when he Tweeted an apology for his mistake. I doubt she meant anything malicious. :)

Topic?

Dan Quayle encouraging a second grader to spell "potato" as "potatoe" in a televised spelling bee. In his defense, his flash card was spelled wrong, but of course, Dan Quayle was known to be a blooper machine, on or off television, during his Vice Presidency.

• Love 1

To be fair, Steve Harvey found this out the hard way when he misspelled both Colombia and the Philippines when he Tweeted an apology for his mistake. I doubt she meant anything malicious. :)

Topic?

Dan Quayle encouraging a second grader to spell "potato" as "potatoe" in a televised spelling bee. In his defense, his flash card was spelled wrong, but of course, Dan Quayle was known to be a blooper machine, on or off television, during his Vice Presidency.

He--Quayle--was also my Congressman/1 of my state's US Senators before being elevated to the Vice-Presidency.

And no, I didn't mean anything malicious by the spelling thing. I'm just a normally almost National Spelling Bee caliber good speller/really good in English, & I took Spanish almost all the way from 8th grade-the end of college, & "Colombia" vs. "Columbia" is something that always gets to me because of that scholastic combo.

• Love 2

Eh.  Part of me thinks they should all be glad of Steve Harvey's f-up.  When's the last time most people KNEW who won the Miss Universe pageant, let alone who was first runner up?

They really tried to make Dayana Mendoza (2008) happen but she never really took off, and Natalie Glebova (2005) is notable if only for later being stuntcast on The Amazing Race Asia (despite being a Russian-born Canadian) and completely killing her reputation, but I'd say the last truly identifiable winner was probably Jennifer Hawkins from Australia in 2004.

A lot of the problem is that the judging is... not necessarily rigged, but it sure is one hell of a coincidence that about half of the top fifteen seems to be the same few countries every damn year, with only a few changes to stop it from being completely obvious. Like, Venezuela has only missed the cut three times since 1982; the US has only missed out four times ever. Now they're stuck in a vicious circle where nobody outside the "usual suspects" countries really cares, which means they have to rely on the usual suspects more for the contest to be successful, which means the other countries care even less because why bother, which means even more reliance on the usual suspects, and so on. The solution, I think, is to make the judging panel less Americas-centric for a few years - last year's was basically seven Americans (including four with Latin American roots), two British women with US TV presences, and a Filipino boxer who'd spent a large amount of his career in the US, for example - and weather the storm for a little while. Miss America showed it's not too late to turn it around, but I don't know whether the same would apply here.

They really tried to make Dayana Mendoza (2008) happen but she never really took off

Maybe if John Travolta would've called her Adele Menzina, we'd remember her. 

I love watching sit-coms where an actor says something hilarious, probably an improvised line, and you can see his or her co-stars trying hard not to laugh. This happened a lot on "Martin" and "The Jamie Foxx Show." 

• Love 1

One from the past I recall is on the "Here's Lucy" ep 'Lucy, the Skydiver', Desi Arnaz, Jr. (as her son Craig) accidently called his sister Kim by her performer's (his real life sister's) name, 'Lucie' but since it happened immediately before Lucy herself was due to crash through the roof in skydiving apparatus, I guess they didn't want to have to redo the whole scene and counted on viewers overlooking it.

• Love 1

I've got no sympathy for Steve Harvey. To paraphrase the old joke, "he had one job" & he not only fucked that up, he did it on an international level, humiliating Miss Colombia in the process. Apologizing was the least he could have done. If he had done his homework, neither he nor Miss Colombia would have been hurt in the first place.

Ha! Yes. He is hyper focused on himself as is evident in every thing he does.   I bet he was thinking on how he could sneak in a funny quip.  

• Love 1

I love watching sit-coms where an actor says something hilarious, probably an improvised line, and you can see his or her co-stars trying hard not to laugh. This happened a lot on "Martin" and "The Jamie Foxx Show." 

That was half of my reason for watching Whose Line Is It Anyway?; those magical moments when the performers were trying to continue their skits despite the face that they could barely breathe from holding it in.

• Love 5

That was half of my reason for watching Whose Line Is It Anyway?; those magical moments when the performers were trying to continue their skits despite the face that they could barely breathe from holding it in.

If you weren't aware, you can still watch Whose Line...?. The CW network revived it in 2013, with Aisha Tyler (from The Talk & Archer, among other things) as the new host. Colin Mochrie & Ryan Stiles from the original US version are on every week; Wayne Brady's on most weeks, if not every week; they also have a celebrity guest every week, just as with the original.

It's on tonight (Christmas Eve) & again tomorrow night (Christmas night). I think it usually airs on Fridays. And yeah, they still have times when they have trouble doing the improvs 'cause they're trying not to bust out laughing from either the situation or the improv being created based on it.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

What I want is the original (U.K.) episodes after the first two seasons (the only ones released on DVD), but I'll probably never get that.  Just because I want it so badly.  :-(

Me too.  I found the dvd by accident at B&N a couple of years ago, and I love most of those eps, but I'd kill to see the later ones again.  When I think of the people whom I first saw on Whose Line . . . I mean, I later saw Josie Lawrence on stage with the Royal Shakespeare Company, for goodness sakes!

• Love 1

Today the local news referred to a challenger running against the incumbent in a local election  both of whom are named Doug, as "the battle of the Dougs." Unfortunately, the B-roll they were running at that moment was a shot of the challenger's busty wife, so it kind of sounded more like "the battle of the dugs."

I guess that's one way to encourage people to vote.

• Love 2

There was a teleprompter mishap at the local news station tonight. While reporting about the recent bombings by Ahmad Rahami in New York, the anchor told us "The explosions left 29 dead. All of them have since been released from the hospital."

• Love 3
On 9/19/2016 at 10:22 PM, Sandman87 said:

There was a teleprompter mishap at the local news station tonight. While reporting about the recent bombings by Ahmad Rahami in New York, the anchor told us "The explosions left 29 dead. All of them have since been released from the hospital."

I work in TV news and it's not so much a prompter mistake as it is an assistant producer mistake.  APs are the ones generally who write the scripts and are supposed to review them (reading them out loud if necessary) to make sure they're accurate and flow well.  Obviously someone forgot to do this and hopefully got called out on the carpet at the post show meeting.  I have to deal with sloppiness like this too.  News anchors also preview the scripts but they don't always know the facts of a news story since it's the responsibility of producers and their crew to do that.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 1
(edited)

Bumping this up: here's a clip of Irv Cross of CBS Sports attempting to give a sideline report during the pregame show for Super Bowl XVIII in Tampa, Sun. Jan. 22, 1984. He was on the Raiders sideline talking about things like the shape of the field, Redskins kicker Mark Moseley, and various and sundry other things, when he was suddenly ordered off the field by Raider promotion director Mike Ornstein. As such, he stammered and didn't know what to say, but he kept his composure and finished his segment and tossed back to Brent Musburger.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 2

Saw a good one a couple of days ago during some House reruns: During the opening of the show, the episode's main patient gets introduced, and she suddenly doubles over and starts screaming while clutching at her belly. Cut to a BeneFiber commercial, which starts out with "When you're confident in your gut, you're confident to take on anything!"

Probably not what the BeneFiber people had in mind.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I saw this episode of Golden Girls over the weekend...if I’ve seen it before I’ve forgotten, and was struck by how completely obvious it is from about the 1:10 mark on that Bea Arthur and Rue Mc have just lost it laughing. Kudos to Betty White though, she plays it straight long enough to let them get back on track for the scene. Hilarious!

• Love 11

I can't answer any of your questions, but I will tell you that I wore layers to church for Easter Sunday instead of a dress. Nowhere close to 440 degrees that day - at least in the Cleveland area. 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I can't answer any of your questions, but I will tell you that I wore layers to church for Easter Sunday instead of a dress. Nowhere close to 440 degrees that day - at least in the Cleveland area. 😉

Got it! Now why wouldn't I be surprised if what you wore was one of those special outfits firefighters wear when trying to put out oil rig fires.

• LOL 4
On 9/3/2018 at 8:23 AM, Sandman87 said:

Saw a good one a couple of days ago during some House reruns: During the opening of the show, the episode's main patient gets introduced, and she suddenly doubles over and starts screaming while clutching at her belly. Cut to a BeneFiber commercial, which starts out with "When you're confident in your gut, you're confident to take on anything!"

Probably not what the BeneFiber people had in mind.

That reminds me of the time some channel (I think it was either A&E or the History Channel) was airing a show about Hitler's rise to dictatorship. The first commercial during one of the breaks was for VW and the voiceover said something about Germans and their ingenuity. It was one of those moments where you had to laugh and groan at the same time. Yikes!

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

That reminds me of the time some channel (I think it was either A&E or the History Channel) was airing a show about Hitler's rise to dictatorship. The first commercial during one of the breaks was for VW and the voiceover said something about Germans and their ingenuity. It was one of those moments where you had to laugh and groan at the same time. Yikes!

Those are not TV bloopers, though. The advertising air time is sold in advance and commercials are produced independent of the show content. While it may make for an odd juxtaposition it is not a production mistake in the show.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, orza said:

Those are not TV bloopers, though. The advertising air time is sold in advance and commercials are produced independent of the show content. While it may make for an odd juxtaposition it is not a production mistake in the show. 

The insertion of advertisements can be construed as production.

8 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

The insertion of advertisements can be construed as production.

The people who do the ad placements don’t see the episodes so it’s just a coincidence unless it’s a deliberate tie in.

• Love 3
On 3/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, Irlandesa said:

What?  He picks up the camera and doesn't even show them?

On 3/25/2020 at 5:46 PM, Browncoat said:

Right?  The least he could have done was point the camera at the bison!  

No.  They got the fuck outta dodge like they were suppose to.  That's how dumb people get eaten.  Maybe it doesn't happen enough.......huh......... 

• Love 6

Pretty sure the bison weren't going to eat him, as they are vegetarian.  Also, you're not actually supposed to RUN from wild animals -- you're supposed to back away slowly.  In which case, you pick up the camera, point it toward the animals and keep filming while you back away slowly to your vehicle.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/31/2020 at 12:02 AM, Brookside said:

Anyone watch The Unicorn?  In one of the last episodes, there was a handy-dandy stone bench right in front of the protagonist's dead wife's grave.  A couple of episodes later, gone!

I watch that show and I never noticed that. Great eye! LOL

• Love 2

It takes literally 10 seconds tops to throw on a pair of pants, dude.  Do it to be on the safe side.  You don't have to press a crease in first, or it could be jeans.  You can wear pants for the <5 minutes you'll be on camera.

• Love 9