Type keyword(s) to search

Jed! and Katey: Biblically Bunking Together

Message added by Scarlett45

I know Jed ran for office, it is not allowed for discussion here due to our Politics Policy. (The show is Cancelled)

Please do not discuss his campaign OR anyone else's. Unauthorized discussion of Jed's political campaign will result in warnings. Please PM the mods, @Scarlett45 and @deaja if you have questions. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Plus, I think they started and restarted the home church a couple of times, with new people. 

And I'm pretty sure that's not the norm for anybody. My bet is it happens because of JB and M's insistence on being treated like the top dogs in every group they're in and having everybody in the church get on board with all their whims...or get out. ...Some reports from people who've been in churches with them have described it that way, too.   

Sort of the way their children are told they can't choose their own careers or educations or ways of living either. 

Jim Bob and Meeechelle are self-centered jerks, and being on television hasn't helped them with this tendency. If they start another church of their own they should call it Jerks for Jesus. 

If only they concentrated more on Jesus instead of the Old Testament .

• Love 9

I would like to think what Jed! interpreted as surprise was her actually thinking "You dumb fuck, it's -13 out here. Why are you doing this?" But she seems to have guzzled the Kool-Aid pretty hard. 

• LOL 11
  • Love 8
On 12/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, awaken said:

Ugh, who’d want to roast marshmallows on a -13 degree night with a dweeb she hardly knows, with a photographer present?

This is, IMO, just the tip of the iceberg in controlling behavior, and she should have run away then.

Jed! had planned a proposal built around marshmallow-roasting and had planned for the event to be photographed. When it turned out that the day was WAY TOO COLD to be outdoors, they didn't make an alternate plan as a couple to do something else. They didn't choose another day. The did exactly what Jed planned, where and how he had planned.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m confused.  I thought he proposed at that awkward dinner at a restaurant.  The one everyone said looked like a business merger 

That was the pedophile with Anna. Jed proposed to Katey outdoors, with freezing temperatures.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I’m confused.  I thought he proposed at that awkward dinner at a restaurant.  The one everyone said looked like a business merger 

I vaguely recall the dinner as being part of this big night that included their initially? going into the cold candlelit sort of barn -- and that's where he got down on one knee and actually proposed -- and then a series of followup events, including the business dinner in some sort of winterized tent?-- with a valentine card next to her -- and an after-walk outdoors,, which included the marshmallow toasting and fireworks, on that outdoor bench....

Don't know if my memory's conflating a couple of events. But in my mind, all that stuff was in the one video and it all happened on one night, with the actual knee-down proposal and her not very convincing shocked act and their very awkward first hug coming first, in the seemingly unheated and uninsulated barnish building, before anything was eaten or any fireworks went off.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I vaguely recall the dinner as being part of this big night that included their initially? going into the cold candlelit sort of barn -- and that's where he got down on one knee and actually proposed -- and then a series of followup events, including the business dinner in some sort of winterized tent?-- with a valentine card next to her -- and an after-walk outdoors,, which include the marshmallow toasting and fireworks, on that outdoor bench....

Don't know if my memory's conflating a couple of events. But in my mind, all that stuff was in the one video and it all happened on one night, with the actual knee-down proposal and her not very convincing shocked act and their very awkward first hug coming first, in the seeming unheated and uninsulated barnish building, before anything was eaten or any fireworks went off.  

I will confess - I never watched the actual video.   I thought I had seen  a post of a photo of them dressed up in a fancy restaurant and posters were describing their demeanor as really stiff and awkward.  We didn’t know about these two until close to the wedding, correct?  So we don’t have photos of him asking her to court in the first place? I remember people describing them also making some comments that night that sounded like the strictest pre marital relationship ever even for Duggars. 

It was definitely not the casual ‘gator something’  restaurant that Josh proposed to Anna in.  

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I will confess - I never watched the actual video.   I thought I had seen  a post of a photo of them dressed up in a fancy restaurant and posters were describing their demeanor as really stiff and awkward.  We didn’t know about these two until close to the wedding, correct?  So we don’t have photos of him asking her to court in the first place? I remember people describing them also making some comments that night that sounded like the strictest pre marital relationship ever even for Duggars. 

It's my strong belief -- based on a bunch of stuff I found on a semi-hidden part of her family's website about "biblical betrothal," what I've read about that from others who practice it, and what we saw of pre-engagement events, and what we heard in their wedding vows and Jed!'s engagement statements -- that Jed! and Katey never courted.

I believe that instead of courting, they agreed to simply enter a binding engagement -- called a biblical betrothal --  based on an arrangement made entirely by their two fathers, and not based on any prior acquaintance or attraction between the members of the couple.

So, as I understand it, Jed! and Katey likely met only a few times before becoming engaged, and they never spent any time at all without the direct presence of their parents, not even doing something like sitting on the porch swing with a mother and an aunt at the open window right behind, as you see in 19th-century stories.

Among other things, this would account for what I think most people have read as pretty extreme awkwardness in the engagement video. And "biblical betrothal" is clearly something of which Katey's father, Kory Nakatsu, is a strong proponent. He appears terrified that a decision about a relationship made by a young person will expose that young person to intense danger. So he jumped aboard a trend train in which the entire choice of a young person's mate is up to the parents, and the young people simply aren't given any time or leeway to change their minds.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

It's my strong belief -- based on a bunch of stuff I found on a semi-hidden part of her family's website about "biblical betrothal," what I've read about that from others who practice it, and what we saw of pre-engagement events, and what we heard in their wedding vows and Jed!'s engagement statements -- that Jed! and Katey never courted.

I believe that instead of courting, they agreed to simply enter a binding engagement -- called a biblical betrothal --  based on an arrangement made entirely by their two fathers, and not based on any prior acquaintance or attraction between the members of the couple.

So, as I understand it, Jed! and Katey likely met only a few times before becoming engaged, and they never spent any time at all without the direct presence of their parents, not even doing something like sitting on the porch swing with a mother and an aunt at the open window right behind, as you see in 19th-century stories.

Among other things, this would account for what I think most people have read as pretty extreme awkwardness in the engagement video. And "biblical betrothal" is clearly something of which Katey's father, Kory Nakatsu, is a strong proponent. He appears terrified that a decision about a relationship made by a young person will expose that young person to intense danger. So he jumped aboard a trend train in which the entire choice of a young person's mate is up to the parents, and the young people simply aren't given any time or leeway to change their minds.  

So essentially an arranged marriage.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

So essentially an arranged marriage.

Yep. Unadorned, really.

I don't think the Duggs were eager to advertise that -- as they pretend they can be role models for the mainstream. But.....they were perfectly willing to do it, seems like. 

• Love 3

I seem to recall that there were a few lesser fundies (and maybe Katey's brother) arguing that they knew each other at least a year and there were one or two pictures of Katey and Jed! with a half dozen other young people. 

OTOH, betrothal explains the extreme awkwardness and why they didn't haul Katey out during Jed!'s...ahem... job search... Having a good-looking girlfriend would have been useful to his efforts to present himself as an independent and mature adult (which failed miserably). 

• Love 18

I just rewatched the video. I think there's a good possibility Joy is pregnant too. I wonder if the Duggars are in for a round of grandsons after the dozen+ granddaughters. Or at least another round of grandbabies.

Katey and Lauren are definitely pregnant. There's rumors Kendra is. Possibly Joy and little Gracie turned 2 yesterday, so Abbie certainly could be looking at baby #2 now.

And then there's wild card Claire, who may or may not be trying to get pregnant. And Jill who was trying again.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

Interesting that Jim Bob and Michelle are no where to be seen in the video.

Yeah I was expecting to see Boob up front and center. Who was the guy who “pitched” to Jed!? Was it Katey’s dad? All in all a very lackluster jinder reveal.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, jacourt said:

When could this have been done?  They are pretty much dressed for warm weather. 

Must have been a warm day in December or January because they only found out she was pregnant in September. Or maybe they did an early blood test to find out the gender? I think a blood test can be done around 10 weeks, which would have been sometime in November.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Must have been a warm day in December or January because they only found out she was pregnant in September. Or maybe they did an early blood test to find out the gender? I think a blood test can be done around 10 weeks, which would have been sometime in November.

Most of the US had a pretty warm November/December.  I live in the midwest and temps were in the 50's on Christmas which is pretty unheard of.

The blood test for free fetal DNA is usually done between 10-12 weeks.  However, insurance usually doesn't pick up the cost unless there is a risk factor like the mom is 35 or more.  The test costs around $1500, so it's not really in the budget for a lot of people.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

We had historic highs for December in Arkansas. It was in the mid 70s quite a bit and then would go back down into the teens and twenties. So, they have had ample nice weather to do this outside. 

• Love 9

I can never tell with Joy. She tends to show early but she also has ample boobage and favors baggy clothes. That combination makes tops blouse out around your midsection giving the illusion of a bump. However, if she is pregnant, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

The test costs around $1500, so it's not really in the budget for a lot of people.

There’s actually a gender specific at home test that costs around $150 that you can do starting around 9 weeks. It’s similar to the boutique ultrasound places that do scans around 14 weeks. I assume these are the two ways the Duggar’s do their earlier gender reveals.

NIPT tests, which is the actual blood screening an OB would order are becoming a lot more common though and more often covered by insurance, but I’m skeptical many of the Duggar’s have insurance. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

There’s actually a gender specific at home test that costs around $150 that you can do starting around 9 weeks. It’s similar to the boutique ultrasound places that do scans around 14 weeks. I assume these are the two ways the Duggar’s do their earlier gender reveals.

NIPT tests, which is the actual blood screening an OB would order are becoming a lot more common though and more often covered by insurance, but I’m skeptical many of the Duggar’s have insurance. 

Learn something new every day!  It appears you can indeed purchase a do-it-yourself home test for gender that works using the same science as the ones used by physicians.  It looks like you can get them for as little as 60 bucks and collect mom's blood at home to do it.  One of them claims it is valid as early as 7 weeks.

Most of the boutique ultrasound places won't assess for gender before 16-18 weeks because, before that, it is really tough to differentiate.  I've done thousands of anatomy scans myself and the earliest I was ever able to see and be fairly secure was around 15 weeks.  Even then, it is generally more time consuming and not as obvious as it would be a week or two later.

• Useful 12
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Most of the US had a pretty warm November/December.  I live in the midwest and temps were in the 50's on Christmas which is pretty unheard of.

The blood test for free fetal DNA is usually done between 10-12 weeks.  However, insurance usually doesn't pick up the cost unless there is a risk factor like the mom is 35 or more.  The test costs around $1500, so it's not really in the budget for a lot of people.

When doctors do them for patients, do they make it clear that they’re to determine sex, not jinder? 🤣

• LOL 6
7 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Yeah I was expecting to see Boob up front and center. Who was the guy who “pitched” to Jed!? Was it Katey’s dad? 

Yeah, that was Katie's dad. Her stepmother was there, too. 

I personally like anything better if I can't see JB or M in it! 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, ozziemom said:

All in all a very lackluster jinder reveal.

So, on brand for the Duggars? At least they didn't have fireworks or shotguns to announce the birth. Batting a breakable ball was a safe choice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Katey directed everyone where to stand based on if they thought they were having a girl, or boy (she also mentioned twins 🙄).  She hadn’t mumbled, and didn’t speak in another language.  Then Jed had to give the instructions himself, right after. I don’t care for him.

It could have been the angle, but she seemed to be standing a bit close considering he was about to swing a bat. His little flip of the bat after, made me roll my eyes.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 20