Type keyword(s) to search

No Demo Reno - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Is the furniture shown in the reveal staging or part of price of the reno? Does it go or stay?

3 hours ago, Angel pie said:

The furniture in the big reveal is staged, not the owner's? 

I didn’t see your post and asked the same thing!

• LOL 1
32 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Is the furniture shown in the reveal staging or part of price of the reno? Does it go or stay?

I didn’t see your post and asked the same thing!

I've wondered why the homeowner's furniture and accessories aren't moved back in when most of the pieces look quite nice. Perhaps the staging is available for them to purchase if they want it (like on Fixer Upper).

• Love 2
18 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The first couple with that odd bathroom!    A toilet, a tub or shower with doors on both sides, and another toilet on the other side of the shower or tub.     I think that a tub shower combo, and a sink and toilet would have fit to make two bathrooms.   Sorry, but a full bath, and half bath doesn't work for me.    I think there should have been some way to add a shower to the half bath.     

Did she say they were going to make the full bath part of a bedroom ensuite? That would make everyone else have to traipse through the bedroom to have a bath.

I think the full bath was going to be the en suite, and the half bath was for guests.   The current bath set up was bizarre, but making the one bath pretty big, and turning the other into a half bath did nothing for me.     There must have been a solution making a shower stall part of the half bath.  

Are they trying to burn off episodes? I thought it was an hour show. I fast forward to the reveal and realized it was a whole other family & house. LOL!!! So, I “rewinded” and fast forward about 20 minutes to catch the reveal for the first half hour. All in all, her work is okay and the concept is a good one. I just don’t need to see her family stuff and her fake conversations with her husband about her next client that was probably done months afterwards. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Are they trying to burn off episodes? I thought it was an hour show. I fast forward to the reveal and realized it was a whole other family & house. LOL!!! So, I “rewinded” and fast forward about 20 minutes to catch the reveal for the first half hour. All in all, her work is okay and the concept is a good one. I just don’t need to see her family stuff and her fake conversations with her husband about her next client that was probably done months afterwards. 

It’s always been two renos per show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Grrarrggh said:

Why do they bother filming the home owners telling the "designer" they love colour, when it's obvious the only colours to be used will be white, grey and occasionally blue?

I don't know, but I generally don't care for gray.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

I've streamed the first five episodes.  I did a lot of fast forwarding.  Her personality is a bit much.  She would be fun to have at a party, but if I'm spending $50,000, I want to deal with someone a little more professional.  Her renovations are well done and she has some great ideas.  However, some of the her designs don't seem very smart overall.  For example, the pool house.  I would think if people are swimming and partying, I wouldn't want upholstered chairs and a heavy wood table in the dining room.  The episode with the wine rack and two younger children was decorated with WHITE furniture in both the living room and the PLAYROOM!  Overall, it's a good show and I like that there are two different clients per each episode and she renovates multiple rooms.  

• Love 4
On 5/16/2021 at 12:00 PM, Grrarrggh said:

Why do they bother filming the home owners telling the "designer" they love colour, when it's obvious the only colours to be used will be white, grey and occasionally blue?

The episode I watched Monday was an older couple with 2 college-age girls, in a house that had very dark floors and that sort of Tuscan palette of 20 years ago-tan, gold, green. The biggest changes Jen made were painting all the walls a slightly cream color, painting the kitchen cabinets a light taupe-y color and changing the fireplace tile to aged red herringbone brick. The bathroom did have some greyish tile, though.

• Love 2

I liked the show at first, but shortly after I realized all of her designs are white, white, and white, with a rare exception.  I just don’t think every single homeowner asked for white, and though she thinks it is timeless, like anything else the tide will turn.  And she does demo quite a bit, so the premise is kind of stupid.

• Love 2

Short shorts, tshirt and limp too-long hair? If she showed up here like that I wouldn’t believe her if she said she had a magic wand. The idea of no significant demo reno is good—sad they didn’t have someone more professional.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:First reno: I liked it, but there was nothing “industrial” there.
I loved the turquoise kitchen cabinets in the 2nd reno.

Isn’t industrial like exposed duct work in lofts and such? I agree there wasn’t much industrial going on but maybe I don’t know what industrial is in home design. I didn’t think I would like greenish-blueish cabinets but I did. At least, it’s something other than white (which I like, too). Both bathrooms on both episodes turned out really nice but I could without greenery in my bathroom. Of course, that’s just me.

• Love 4

The mid-century modern house. That wet bar with the serving window for the pool was cool. My problem with the reno of it was keeping that light-colored wood paneling. It definitely, IMO, didn’t go with the black and white theme of the cabinets, countertops, and ceiling. It stood out like a sore thumb. I liked the rest of the reno. I’m surprised nobody had ever been seriously injured by that sunken tub in the bathroom. 😬

• Love 3

I really disliked the black cabinets.   Either leave them the same color as the wood around the windows, or stain everything to match.    I thought it was interesting that the idea for the cabinets was black with brass or fake gold hardware, and it ended up chrome hardware on the kitchen cabinets, and faucet.      That sunken tub was hideous, and dangerous.     The swim up bar to the kitchen window was neat, but the entire back yard was pool, and concrete, and no pool fence.    

• Love 2

I started this show, decided I didn't like it, kept catching a few episodes here and there, caught and recorded a mini marathon yesterday, went to her Instagram to look.

I have decided that she falls in my I don't want to like her but I do category. 

• Love 4

She randomly popped up on my IG feed and says that they will start filming season 2 at the end of January and it will air next summer. Eh, I guess I’ll watch again but will watch the initial walk-through and then FF to see the end result. 

• Love 1
On 5/29/2021 at 3:04 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I really disliked the black cabinets.   Either leave them the same color as the wood around the windows, or stain everything to match.    I thought it was interesting that the idea for the cabinets was black with brass or fake gold hardware, and it ended up chrome hardware on the kitchen cabinets, and faucet.      That sunken tub was hideous, and dangerous.     The swim up bar to the kitchen window was neat, but the entire back yard was pool, and concrete, and no pool fence.    

I recently had my house renovated in order to put it on the market and the designer/real estate agent painted my cabinets black, with gold brass hardware.  I thought it was going to be horrible but it actually turned out quite nicely.  They also painted the brick, which I generally despise, but it did make the house look more modern.  Hopefully it will sell (I'm on the second contract as I type this).  If it doesn't then I will be living in a nicely renovated house, so that isn't the worse thing that can happen.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Season 2 episode 1, Marriage Mulligan,

Widtfeld family-blended family with four kids, 2 dogs, nice house, but does have issues.     She was wearing the Flintstones Scunchy Pebbles hairdo again during the meeting explaining everything to her husband.    Vent hood will cost about $3,000.   

The funny thing is the host says a vent hood, with a mantle over it doesn't work, and isn't right.    Ironic considering the show that was in this slot last week, and the giant vent hood with a bunch of wood, and junk around it. 

Hensley family-The second family has six kids, down to 1 year old twins.  They have 3 bio sons, adopted three more.  So a family of eight.  They need two office spaces in their huge bedroom, and lots of storage. 

I like what she did with both houses.   

I love the Chick-Fil-A commercial with the little boy who wants to shadow the employees, and grow up to work there.    

I don’t know if I’ll be watching this season. When I finished watching a Ma Dong-Seok (aka, Don Lee) movie, I turned this episode on with about 30 minutes left. Couldn’t muster up enough interest to pay attention. 

Hate to say it, but lots of women here in Texas still sport the scrunchie...but you have to understand...it is blazing hot!  (I currently have no hair so I am sporting beanies these days but hot hair on the neck is miserable.)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Hate to say it, but lots of women here in Texas still sport the scrunchie...but you have to understand...it is blazing hot!  (I currently have no hair so I am sporting beanies these days but hot hair on the neck is miserable.)

She only puts part of the hair up, like Pebbles from the Flintstones, not the bottom hair.    I would understand a ponytail, or putting everything up, but not her Pebbles look. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She only puts part of the hair up, like Pebbles from the Flintstones, not the bottom hair.    I would understand a ponytail, or putting everything up, but not her Pebbles look. 

There are also a lot of women here in Texas (dallas area specifically) who are desperate to look young...LOL!  you are correct, most end up looking foolish.

• LOL 2

I love this show! I'm so glad it's back. She has to be my favorite HGTV host right now.  I don't care how she wears her hair she's just such a hoot! ("the three little dots of death and no patience" BWWWWAAA!)

She doesn't take herself too seriously, AND she gives ACTUAL advice on how to decorate. I loved the bit about varying the heights of things around the room.  Yeah, it's common sense stuff but most shows just don't tell you stuff like that. They just decorate and talk about how wonderful they are at it.

She also actually built something for a TV where most of the hosts act like people don't have TVs. I totally don't get that.

I loved everything she did for both houses. I wish I could hire her to do mine. I'd do it tomorrow if I lived in Dallas.

• Like 2
  • Love 10

So I'm guessing the homeowners know that they are forfeiting all their stuff when they go on this show?  I'm not sure how I would feel about my personal belongings being sold, no matter if it was put back into the budget.  Technically it is still the property of the homeowners.  I mean, that was a nice bedroom set that was sold last night.  It could have been used in a guest room or something...but off it went in the back of a pickup truck.  Or am I the only one who thinks about stuff like that?

• Wink 1
(edited)

My guess is that the homeowners already picked what she can sell.  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the things she sells were items the homeowner no longer needed, and were going to be replaced in the makeover.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they gathered no longer needed items from friends or relatives.    When certain big furniture stores say they don't take away your old stuff, and you either have to donate, or sell, then giving it to someone who will get some money out of it would be good.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

Of course the homeowners know!  She even said they were tired of the stuff and didn't want it any more.  People get rid of stuff ALL THE TIME around here. I'd love it if she came in my house and sold stuff for me.   She clearly respected the things they did want like the sewing machine.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

In this week’s episode, where is the TV?  At the beginning of the show the homeowners said they use that room a lot which most likely means they watch TV there.  Now the TV is gone and it has been replaced with a giant mirror and there’s no place for the TV.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

In this week’s episode, where is the TV?  At the beginning of the show the homeowners said they use that room a lot which most likely means they watch TV there.  Now the TV is gone and it has been replaced with a giant mirror and there’s no place for the TV.

I haven’t watched this season, but last season the host was always removing the TV.

• Applause 1
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The lady seems really spacey, but in the end her work is really good, based on what I’ve seen so far.  

Ah, but this being "reality" television almost assures that it isn't her work. 

• Wink 1

Why would you assume that is not her work?  Although I agree she is a little "extra" there is no reason to assume that she is not the one who comes up with the designs.  Apparently she had a decent Instagram following before which is why HGTV reached out to her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I usually like her work, but last night's master bedroom looked "off" to me. The "board & batten" on 3/4 of the height of the walls was very attractive and the trim on the doors was really an upgrade to plain flat doors. However, the tall, tall headboard was totally out of proportion relative to the height of the board & batten.

Edited by CruiseDiva
Spelling matters.
  • Love 2

I thought the batten kind of made the room look smaller...although perhaps you are correct and it was the headboard.  The colors were nice though and I did like what she did with the doors, although I think a more rounded trim would have looked nicer.  

I really liked the time she took to learn what the little boy would want in his room and give him room to have his own space and a designated place to do therapy.  That was instructional.

• Love 5
On 7/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, CruiseDiva said:

I usually like her work, but last night's master bedroom looked "off" to me. The "board & batten" on 3/4 of the height of the walls was very attractive and the trim on the doors was really an upgrade to plain flat doors. However, the tall, tall headboard was totally out of proportion relative to the height of the board & batten.

I suspect features like the humongous headboard are what the client requested before the job ever started.   I think that just like other shows, the client has a lot more input than we're told.    She seems to have better taste than that.   

• Like 3

So "More Money, More Pressure", from this week.   Sophie the cat wasn't a fan of the camera and sound people, and whoever else is in the room during filming.     I don't think Sophie was a big fan of Jenn either.    I don't blame Sophie, when Jenn comes in a lot of noise happens, a lot of new people with cameras and other equipment, followed by the family relocating, and then moving back.    I hope Sophie loved her powder room, and got over the trauma from the invasion of the camera crews.    However, I really liked the reno.  

I do like the shows with extra commentary.   Her explanations of what she does, and why she does it really adds to the show. 

I really like most of her work, but I don't like wall paper on the ceiling, or painting a ceiling anything but white.    

new episode "Son of the Year"I really like what she did for Nick and his mother, and the Bathman's out of control closet, and enough shoes to start her own shoe store.   

I really like her husband Mike, and the contractors, especially Victor.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

My only suggestion for the cat, Sophie’s, litter box is to buy a Litter Robot. We’ve had cats for years and finally bought one of these magical things a few years. It’s the best invention since the microwave. I was really surprised that Jen didn’t install one of these because the budget was more than enough to spend $500 for one of these.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2022 at 1:06 AM, Grrarrggh said:

Ah, but this being "reality" television almost assures that it isn't her work. 

Is there any evidence that these are NOT her designs? She’s a pretty well known designer in the Dallas area. I find her show much better in 2022. I also appreciate her explanations for how and why she does certain things and what we can do in our own homes.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

I loved how she did the bedroom, and therapy area for the child with autism.     I get a kick out of her relationship with Victor and Junior, the contractors also.

Tonight's new episode "Work Hard Play Hard" a mother and daughter duo (Daughter goes off to college in a year) who currently have the smallest kitchen island, with cooktop in it on earth.  Jenn will lower the two tier breakfast bar.  I like she's going to move the cooktop from the island to the counter top, and add a range hood.   Then, for the kitchen demo, Victor gives her every protective construction item you can wear, a biohazard suit, saftey vest, hard hat, gloves, safety glasses, and her suit hood, she's scraping popcorn ceiling. 

I love the cabinet color on the island, and the back splash tile is so nice. I like the after on the kitchen.  

The other remodel is for 8 year-old twins playroom.  I love the double staircase on the home.  There is very little storage.    I'm not in favor of a climbing wall in the playroom.   I like the way the playroom turned out, but still not happy with the climbing rope, or climbing wall.  

I suspect that the homeowner gets a ton of input about what they want, the colors they use, and features that are changed.   I think the lady with the lovely turquoise office wanted something that would show up on remote meetings, but not in the rest of her life.   I'm sure the design meetings are a lot more extensive than we see on camera.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1

For the recent episode I was hopeful she would actually use some color since the basis of the renovation was that beautiful turquoise room.  But nope, pretty much all white like all of her other designs.  Which is why I quit watching for the most part.  It is too much the same every time.

• Love 3

The books turned backward is also a way not to show the titles, it's a way not to have publishers complain about the items showing, and not paying to show them, plus they want a cohesive look so it doesn't take attention away from the other colors.    There are also people who buy clearance books just to fill a bookshelf.   When I worked with a friends of the library group booksale, people would come in and buy bags full of books as background decoration.   The buyers didn't care about the title, just the size and the color. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I am late to this show.  Watching it mostly as background noise. I think I am on the second episode of the second season.  Jenn is talkative, but likeable.  The show moves at a nice pace.  I was thinking that this show could be a good drinking game -

- one sip every time the homeowner has a two-level counter (is this a Texas thing? I don't think I have ever seen one in real life).  

- two sips every time Jenn puts brass hardware on a cabinet

- three sips every time she wallpapers a ceiling.

• LOL 2
36 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

- one sip every time the homeowner has a two-level counter (is this a Texas thing? I don't think I have ever seen one in real life).  

Probably.  We have one.  I live in the Houston area.  My house was built in 2005.  My kitchen and overall house architecture is very similar to the ones she's been renovating.  I wish she could come give me advice on my kitchen.  I want to redo it, but I don't want to live through a renovation.  I just had my main bathroom done and it was not fun, although it does look better.

• Love 1

I've seen the two level counters fairly often.   My subdivision is 1/4 8 to 10 year old houses, and a majority of them have the two tiered peninsulas.   The other 3/4 of the houses are built since 2016.     A lady who bought right before I did has a two tiered counter, and her house is from 2017.  My house is 2018, and has a flat one level granite peninsula.   

A friend who is a contractor for new builds has a flat counter peninsula, with the sink in it.   His wife hates it, because when the kids use the breakfast bar, they slide their dishes right into the sink.   Fortunately they use melamine/plastic dishes for the kids in the morning, so they don't break. 

I think a lot is the builder's design choice.  

I like to watch reruns of this show, just to watch the quality of the contruction, and the designs the homeowners seem so happy with.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, needschocolate said:

one sip every time the homeowner has a two-level counter (is this a Texas thing? I don't think I have ever seen one in real life).  

I live in Washington state and have a two-level counter, as does one of my cousins, so it’s not just a Texas thing. I think it may be an age-of-house thing?  It’s clear to me that our kitchen was remodeled about 15 years ago to open it up and put in the two-level counter, and as a result, our kitchen has all of one upper cabinet.  I don’t care how much people say they want open kitchens, that’s just not enough storage!

• Love 3