Type keyword(s) to search

S13..E14: If You’ve Got It, Haunt It

• Start Topic

I was expressing my freedom of speech as well but since I'm being called out I thought I'd explain.  In general in life I ignore (along with a lot of others) a lot of offensive statements/actions and sweep it away as you don't know better.  This time around I wanted to provide a reason why the costume was offensive.   I'm not trying to restrict anyone's speech.  I try to keep my posts lighthearted.  

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, mytmo said:

I was expressing my freedom of speech as well but since I'm being called out I thought I'd explain.  In general in life I ignore (along with a lot of others) a lot of offensive statements/actions and sweep it away as you don't know better.  This time around I wanted to provide a reason why the costume was offensive.   I'm not trying to restrict anyone's speech.  I try to keep my posts lighthearted.  

I apologize if you felt I was calling you out, that was definitely not my intention.

I respect everyone’s freedom of speech and these forums are unique in that we can respectfully disagree and be nice and civil in the process.

My comment about freedom of speech was a generalization of my concern in general. I didn’t mean this board.

Again, I do apologize to you

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I think this is part of a larger challenge we are having as a society. Dressing up in costume is dangerous these days, because anyone can take offense to anything, which I think was the point of  @LibertarianSlut comments.

I am 56, white and grew up in Albuquerque, NM, which has been incredibly ethnically diverse for over 100 years (Hispanic, white, Native American) My brothers, our neighbors and myself played cowboys and Indians - it didn’t matter who was who, you just wanted to be “shot” so you could do your death scene. (And we weren’t all white).

Back in the in olden days, you could dress up as someone different from you for Halloween (I’m not referencing blackface) because you really like the person or the culture, you were in awe of the person/culture you were portraying or trying to represent. My parents really sucked when it came to Halloween costumes. I was the youngest of 4, so my options were cracked plastic masks and/or a sheet to make me a ghost; I never got to be the princess I wanted to be, but I went as a hobo for several years because of limited/no options with cracked masks, 2 older brothers and a very tomboy sister.
Now I would be accused for being racist or cultural appropriation. Now, being a hobo in unacceptable. Wouldn’t matter how much I helped homeless shelters, when I was 10 I went to neighbors houses to get candy on Halloween, therefore, I am an awful human being.

Where does it end? That to me is the question. I will not dismiss many things that today we know are offensive and may have be problematic for years and we were unaware.

I disagree with the portion of what you are saying above. You can still dress up in costume as AN ACTUAL PERSON without it being considered as cultural appropriation. So if you wanted to come as Ghandi, the Dali Lama, Pope John Paul II, or Kobe Bryant its completely acceptable to find the appropriate garb and rock out. In doing so, you'd have to understand who and what that person was. What people take issue with is the laziness of putting on a headdress and saying "I'm a warrior princess" or darkening your skin and putting on an afro wig to portray any brown skinned person in America. Its the difference between showing a minimum of respect and understanding about an actual person and defaulting to the most base stereotypes. 

In this case, Kenya was doing the least. If she wanted to dress up as one of these women and was then able to come and tell who she was and what she stood for, there would have been no complaints. But she literally did the least she could do, tried as little as she could, and evidenced a complete lack of self-awareness which is why people have issues with her. It's why the same women who were disturbed by Kenya thought Cynthia's 50-Cynt costume was clever as opposed to her simply saying "I'm a rapper". 

There are ways to navigate issues of race around Halloween that show thought and care. And then there are ways that do not. Kenya was firmly in the do not side of this equation, and I don't feel sorry for her at all.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

Even dumb dumb Portia knew Kenya was wrong for wearing that outfit. We're always told how smart Kenya is. There's no way she didn't know in the year 2020 she would receive backlash. 

We're in a time when marginalized people have a voice and are not willing to accept casual racism and the status quo. Inevitably there will be people who long for "the good old days" when "certain" people knew their place and "dealt" with racism and disrespect. Oh well.

Latoya is just too much. I don't know if she's putting on for the camera or if this is her real personality but I'm surprised she hasn't been hit with a gold club before.

• Love 9
On 3/25/2021 at 7:48 PM, Mr. Miner said:

Who has a party without food and drinks? How dreadful!

Exactly. If LaToya hadn't shown up and started shit-talking, what would the ladies even be doing? I didn't see much food or drink or games or music or anything that qualified this gathering as a party. Falynn shouldn't have to put up with being disrespected in her own home, but she could tighten up on her hostessing skills so that her "party" looks more fun than a Monday morning staff meeting.

• Love 2
On 3/23/2021 at 10:06 PM, dosodog said:

Bravo has released an apology for the last episode. 

“Bravo aims to have the highest standards of respect and inclusivity and we recognize that the recent episode of The Real Housewives of Atlanta, in which a cast member wears a Native American costume, did not uphold those values. We had hoped it would provide a teachable moment, however in retrospect it is clear that the network did not address this properly given the gravity of the situation. We apologize to both the Native American community and our audience as a whole.”

A very late watch of this episode for me and I watched an edited version via my on demand pay tv app (in Australia)  It was unintentionally hilarious: they’ve edited it to not show Kenya in her costume AT ALL! It’s like she’s invisible 😆😆😆 You can hear her but she’s not shown. Ha ha ha! Best way to have her on the show!