Type keyword(s) to search

Marriage Or Mortgage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh thank God! A thread! 

I hate almost everyone on this show. Well, at least everyone who picked wedding. I just don’t understand why anyone would blow all of that money on a one night party, when they could have a house. The couple that had children already, WTF, why would you pick a party?

it would also kill me when they had like $35,000 saved up. I don’t understand why you can’t put $20,000 down on the house and spend 15,000 on a wedding.

I did love the couple that picked house and then eloped so they got to be married and in their house. I do not at all understand the very religious couple and why they didn’t just have a very small wedding. I would be so pissed off if I was paying a mortgage but sleeping on some friends couch. I don’t understand why they just can’t sleep in separate bedrooms? Or hell just get married in your backyard. You do not need personal flower crowns for $4500!

• Love 10

I finished watching this two days ago and have also been waiting for a thread to pop up! 

Since this show was filmed in 2019 and most of the weddings were scheduled for 2020, I wonder if any couples got some or all of their deposits back or if they lost it all. 

I also wondered why more of them weren't shown a starter home. Or what I would consider to be a starter home. Less money, smaller, and needs some work done. I know many of them said they wanted something turn-key ready, but why not put some work into it? Then you can customize things to your liking and you'e made improvements that will increase the value. 

• Love 4

I’m so disappointed the cute older lesbian couple chose to have their “big, fat, gay wedding” with the same amount of guest during the pandemic. I know they wanted to share their day with the LGBTQIA+ community (which I’m apart of) but ugh, I just can’t get over people being selfish during the pandemic. 

• Love 5

I’m only one episode in to the show but yes, it’s being added to my “hate-watching” list of shows.  Anyone who puts more than a half second of thought into it knows that an investment is a better use of your funds than a party, no matter how meaningful the party is.  So the attraction of this show is seeing couples who have already completely made up their minds about what they want act like they’re open to persuasion on a reality show to get a few freebies thrown into whatever they’ve already going to do.  Or more accurately, the attraction for me is shaking my head at how extravagantly over-engineered Pinterest makes everything—obviously with all the extras on the wedding side (Trolleys!  Food trucks!!) but also on the home buying side too (Man caves! Dressing salons!!!)  It’s not that these things aren’t fun, but rather the way these shows present them as almost non-negotiable components that leaves it wide open for me to mock.  And in that sense there’s TONS here for me to work with haha!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, DaWezl said:

I’m only one episode in to the show but yes, it’s being added to my “hate-watching” list of shows.  Anyone who puts more than a half second of thought into it knows that an investment is a better use of your funds than a party, no matter how meaningful the party is.  So the attraction of this show is seeing couples who have already completely made up their minds about what they want act like they’re open to persuasion on a reality show to get a few freebies thrown into whatever they’ve already going to do.  Or more accurately, the attraction for me is shaking my head at how extravagantly over-engineered Pinterest makes everything—obviously with all the extras on the wedding side (Trolleys!  Food trucks!!) but also on the home buying side too (Man caves! Dressing salons!!!)  It’s not that these things aren’t fun, but rather the way these shows present them as almost non-negotiable components that leaves it wide open for me to mock.  And in that sense there’s TONS here for me to work with haha!

I get wanting to provide transportation for your guests but a trolley and a food truck was just too much for me! Go to a diner or bar after the reception! 

• Love 2

I was talking back to the TV screen, “Take the house!” 
I love those homes where everything is new, some of those houses were gorgeous.

I had a small wedding, and my husband had first asked me if I wanted to go to Hawaii and just have the two of us at our wedding, we didn’t have $30,000 saved but if we had, I would have gotten a house!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/22/2021 at 8:47 PM, cpcathy said:

I was talking back to the TV screen, “Take the house!” 

I was like “I don’t even understand why this is a show.” Clearly I am not the intended audience. It’s not even a question to me. If you can afford both, do both. If you can afford one, do the one that gets you equity. When the wedding planner told the first couple “you can’t go to another wedding without being married,” I yelled “they can just get married!” A wedding and a marriage aren’t the same!

I was annoyed with the first couple from the get because they’re those people who bring their dog everywhere. It’s rude to bring your dog into a place of business. It’s rude to bring your dog into someone else’s house or car, and then he shat in someone’s yard and farted in the realtor’s car. I don’t think it was a therapy dog; they should have left him home.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 5
On 3/19/2021 at 9:42 PM, EdnasEdibles said:

I hate almost everyone on this show. Well, at least everyone who picked wedding.

Me too!  My niece had a $50k wedding and it was the LEAST fun wedding.  They actually expected us all to stay at the hotel next to the church.  I just drove the 1/2 hour drive home.  😛  The reception "space" included a cocktail hour area.  Now correct me if you think I am wrong but:  You do not invite every elderly person you know of and then don't have chairs for damn cocktail hour, more like 2 hours.  Her aunts and uncles were running around trying to find chairs for our great aunts.  We are in our 50s so our great aunts are 70s - 80s.  They wouldn't cut the cake until 10 pm.  Um...HELLO!  we had to be there at 5:00 for the wedding, cocktail hour was from 6-7 and dinner started at 8.......  I JUST WANTED TO GO HOME!  Me and my aunt, who I picked up for the wedding, were trashing the whole thing in the car. We actually left without any wedding cake!!!!!!! 💥

On 3/21/2021 at 1:50 PM, DaWezl said:

Completely accurate!!!!

On 3/22/2021 at 9:09 PM, readheaded said:

It's not often a show is so chock full of so many unlikable people, but here we are.

Yes, here we are.......love to hate.

On 4/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, Empress1 said:

I was annoyed with the first couple from the get because they’re those people who bring their dog everywhere. It’s rude to bring your dog into a place of business. It’s rude to bring your dog into someone else’s house or car, and then he shat in someone’s yard and farted in the realtor’s car. I don’t think it was a therapy dog; they should have left him home.

OMG!  I hate those kinds of people.

• Love 1

I think this show is nuts but I watched it all! The only wedding that made a little bit of sense was the big, fat, gay wedding bc it was for the community. Her being a pastor wanting to share with her community was nice. Plus they already had a home even if it was not ideal. The rest....how dumb!!! They could have held back some money from their home down payment for a wedding and had something more simple. Trollies, food trucks, custom suits, custom goodies, goodie bags, floral crowns... I hope most of this was for TV and they didn’t spend all that money on foolishness.

• Love 1

I would choose wedding because you make the money back in gifts . Yes , you’re paying upfront for the wedding yourselves .. but it comes back to you and then you put the money toward a house . That’s what I did and generally wedding gifts is how a lot of people buy houses . 

I'm still stuck on the bride Precious (marrying former college FB player, fertility issues, and tag along mother in law) sticking her tongue in the ranch dressing fountain. Are you kidding me? My grandmothers and aunties would have reached down from heaven to smack me upside the head.  Even pre-Covid that's just disgusting and tacky.

Definitely a hate watch. Hope there's a second season 🙄