Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/22/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, bannana said:

We did not give this levity to President Obama or to President Trump, so I don’t know why we’re giving him so much of it right now given that he’s been serving in office for over 50 years.

Yes - I caught when she said that, and I wondered what word she meant to say. Leniency? 

The other quote - I have no idea what word she meant instead of deleterious. 

But here's one she should learn :  Malapropism

The term malapropism refers to the incorrect use of a word in place of a similar-sounding word, typically with a humorous result. Malapropisms are usually unintentional, but they can also be used intentionally to create a comic effect. Whether accidental or deliberate, malapropisms often turn serious statements into funny ones.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes - I caught when she said that, and I wondered what word she meant to say. Leniency? 

I think she was searching for "leeway". The other one, she probably just doesn't understand. She likes to use big words but doesn't understand what they mean.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, bannana said:

She likes to use big words but doesn't understand what they mean.

This to me is proof that Ben does indeed write all of her talking points for her.  She makes way too many mistakes in her daily 15 minute monologues and diatribes for me to believe that there is any conviction behind what she is so vehemently ranting and raving about.  It's easier to misuse a word that you don't know the meaning of than it is to misuse a word that you are familiar with.  If they were indeed her thoughts and her words, she wouldn't screw up her lines so badly.  I don't know why Ben hasn't clued in to the fact that he needs to dumb down her scripts and stop using such big words. 

Edited by Cementhead
clarity
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

This to me is proof that Ben does indeed write all of her talking points for her.  She makes way too many mistakes in her daily 15 minute monologues and diatribes for me to believe that there is any truth or conviction behind what she is so vehemently ranting and raving about.  It's easier to misuse a word that you don't know the meaning of than it is to misuse a word that you are familiar with.  If they were indeed her thoughts and her words, she wouldn't screw up her lines so badly.  I don't know why Ben hasn't clued in to the fact that he needs to dumb down her scripts and stop using such big words. 

if Ben is scripting her, why hasn't he started using simpler words she can manage? Surely he has to see how dumb she looks when she makes these wording mistakes.  Wait, no, he apparently thinks she's fine doing all the weird hairdo's and makeup on the show and in her selfies, so guess not. I would be embarrassed if my spouse was making such a fool of herself if I was him.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Meg you moron, none of the press even ASKED Biden questions about the pandemic yesterday!

And because you're not a real journalist, you don't get to ask Biden questions in pressers, MeAgain.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, cinsays said:

if Ben is scripting her, why hasn't he started using simpler words she can manage? Surely he has to see how dumb she looks when she makes these wording mistakes.  Wait, no, he apparently thinks she's fine doing all the weird hairdo's and makeup on the show and in her selfies, so guess not. I would be embarrassed if my spouse was making such a fool of herself if I was him.

Right?  He needs to stick to 3 letter words like bad, mad, sad.  That way she is less likely to use the word bad when she means sad. It's those big people grown-up words that she misuses.

My older theory was that she uses Word o' the Day Toilet Paper, but then if that was the case, she would be learning their definitions along with the word, wouldn't she? I am probably wrong on both counts and she really just is an idiot, simple as that.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, bannana said:

deleterious

causing harm or damage. "divorce is assumed to have deleterious effects on children"

7 hours ago, bannana said:

levity

humor or frivolity, especially the treatment of a serious matter with humor or in a manner lacking due respect. "as an attempt to introduce a note of levity, the words were a disastrous flop"

I enjoy these and your take on them.  I'm 80...as is my best friend since third grade. She's "the pretty one," still, but she yearns to be "the smart one."  She uses The Meghan Method when she writes (email and Facebook), but she confessed when I asked, "Do you use a thesaurus for this stuff?"  She does...but she never chooses the right word.  It's always entertaining (well...to me anyway).

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, cinsays said:

if Ben is scripting her, why hasn't he started using simpler words she can manage? Surely he has to see how dumb she looks when she makes these wording mistakes.

Surely no one would do anything like this to make himself look like The Smarter One.........

5 hours ago, Cementhead said:

I don't know why Ben hasn't clued in to the fact that he needs to dumb down her scripts and stop using such big words. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, heysmilinstrange said:

Omg, did she call herself a member of the Fourth Estate? Dude, if you're wearing glitter in your part, you're not a serious journalist.

Oh, yes she did!  I presume this was after Ben told her she was a member of the Fourth Estate and she was insulted, "Only fourth?" He had to mansplain what he meant. "You're a journalist, Honey, and a fine one, for gosh sakes!"

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, AryasMum said:

So I’m going to order my first VYD. Sorry, but the pink tooth brush is needed and adorable. 

I did the same! I'd been eyeing the brand a few weeks back but ruled it out as too expensive. Glad I waited! 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Oh, yes she did!  I presume this was after Ben told her she was a member of the Fourth Estate and she was insulted, "Only fourth?" He had to mansplain what he meant. "You're a journalist, Honey, and a fine one, for gosh sakes!"

He probably had to explain that The Fourth Estate doesn't come with a chauffer. 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

my thoughts on thursday's show: that ring on the end of Meghan's middle hair turd is for Ben to be able to lead her around, and to tether her when necessary. William Shatner... I'm glad he's not dead and all that but he just gets even more egotistical and self-inflating/promoting with each passing year.

• Love 3

I couldn't help but notice that Joy ended the show with 'Does anyone know what's special about this weekend? It's the start of Passover! Happy Passover everyone!'  It was a nice gesture to all those who are celebrating the Jewish holiday.

However, for those Christians - including self-described devout Catholics Sunny and Ana - this weekend is special because it begins Holy Week, the most sacred week in the Christian calendar. Joy mentioned nothing of this, which was certainly a big slap in the face to both Sara and Anna (and Meghan and Sara, who are also Christians).  I can't believe not one of those hosts interrupted her and added this to her sign-off.

43 minutes ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Joy mentioned nothing of this, which was certainly a big slap in the face to both Sara and Anna (and Meghan and Sara, who are also Christians).  I

Christianity is the default on American TV (well in the US in general).  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I couldn't help but notice that Joy ended the show with 'Does anyone know what's special about this weekend? It's the start of Passover! Happy Passover everyone!'  It was a nice gesture to all those who are celebrating the Jewish holiday.

However, for those Christians - including self-described devout Catholics Sunny and Ana - this weekend is special because it begins Holy Week, the most sacred week in the Christian calendar. Joy mentioned nothing of this, which was certainly a big slap in the face to both Sara and Anna (and Meghan and Sara, who are also Christians).  I can't believe not one of those hosts interrupted her and added this to her sign-off.

Lol. This is a supposedly Christian nation...I don’t think Holy Week needs the attention. With anti-Semitism running rampant, the recognition of Passover was much more important. Nobody’s face was slapped here.

• Love 20
5 hours ago, Aileen said:

Lol. This is a supposedly Christian nation...I don’t think Holy Week needs the attention. With anti-Semitism running rampant, the recognition of Passover was much more important. Nobody’s face was slapped here.

It's an important week for both Jews and Christians - Joy should have acknowledged both. The audience is made up of both (and other different religions), Behar should be conscious of this (IMO).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Aileen said:

This reminds me of when I was a little girl and I asked my mom why their was no Kid's Day. There was Father's Day and Mother's Day and Grandparents Day) why is there no Kid's day, I demanded. She said, "Every day is Kid's Day". Every day is Christian's Day in America. I been knowing about Easter and when it is. Chocolate bunnies everywhere, Easter commercials on tv....on the other hand, I did not know it was Passover until Joy announced it on the tv. So there is that.

• Love 19
8 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

It's an important week for both Jews and Christians - Joy should have acknowledged both.

When I was a Christian (decades ago), Holy Week began with Palm Sunday ... 

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 3

Meghan, GIRL... I don’t consider you a member of the Fourth Estate. Please stop. 🙄🙄🙄

I agree with Joy - the press are harsh regardless of who’s president. Nobody is “slobbering” over Joe Biden, as Meghan put it. Coming fresh off the Trump White House, I think certain members of the media miss the constant level of bullshit and scandal. Anything further would probably be off-topic, so I’ll leave it at that.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

When I was a Christian (decades ago), Holy Week began with Palm Sunday ... 

It sill does. That's why when Joy said it's a 'special weekend', it's not only a special weekend for Jews who celebrate Passover on Saturday, but a special weekend for Christians who celebrate Palm Sunday on Sunday of this same weekend and begin the observance of Holy Week.  As I said earlier, Sunny and Ana have called themselves 'devout Catholics' on the show in the past, and Sara identifies as a 'Christian' on the show...perhaps they should have reminded Joy for those of us celebrating Palm Sunday and observing Holy Week ?

14 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

This reminds me of when I was a little girl and I asked my mom why their was no Kid's Day. There was Father's Day and Mother's Day and Grandparents Day) why is there no Kid's day, I demanded. She said, "Every day is Kid's Day". Every day is Christian's Day in America. I been knowing about Easter and when it is. Chocolate bunnies everywhere, Easter commercials on tv....on the other hand, I did not know it was Passover until Joy announced it on the tv. So there is that.

We may know when Easter is because of the TV ads, but the ads don't remind us that the Sunday before Easter (know as Palm Sunday) begins Holy Week on the Christian calendar.

Um Jeanine, kudos on the work you did as a prosecutor and judge to help victims of domestic violence and drug trafficking.  But do you really think it’s helpful to label these children - fleeing the poverty, drugs, violence and abysmal economic conditions in their countries - as “lower human beings” or “slaves”?  Please STFU.  

• Love 18
1 hour ago, jalady said:

Um Jeanine, kudos on the work you did as a prosecutor and judge to help victims of domestic violence and drug trafficking.  But do you really think it’s helpful to label these children - fleeing the poverty, drugs, violence and abysmal economic conditions in their countries - as “lower human beings” or “slaves”?  Please STFU.  

Yep, and who can blame Joy for being offended hearing that? Jeanine and the rest of the bunch on Fox do often talk about immigrants in really offensive ways. You don't get a pass because of work you did. It's like Laura Ingraham. She adopted a daughter from Guatemala. That's a beautiful thing to do. But it doesn't give her a pass to say whatever the hell she wants about immigrants. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

Pirro used to be tolerable and somewhat respectable when she started out on one of those court shows, but when she changed jobs she just became whackadoo. 

I think the American audience doesn’t have a strong grasp of exactly what is happening beyond our borders in Mexico, Latin America and South America. I read a book last year by author Paul Ortiz titled An African American and Latinx History of the United States. Among other things, it talked about how the U.S. has historically done things in those countries that led to some of the situations that exist today. I wish that they would have the author (or others that can speak to that history) on the show. I’d much rather have educational topics than just arguing the same sound bite taking points all the time. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10

I'm not sure how Jeanine having done things in the past erases her choice to call children in the present sub-human, lol. If anything, that just proves Joy's point. Joy said that she used to know Pirro in the past and wondered how she's managed to devolve into this dark person who would say undeniably evil things about children today.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Angeleyes said:

Pirro used to be tolerable and somewhat respectable when she started out on one of those court shows, but when she changed jobs she just became whackadoo. 

I think the American audience doesn’t have a strong grasp of exactly what is happening beyond our borders in Mexico, Latin America and South America. I read a book last year by author Paul Ortiz titled An African American and Latinx History of the United States. Among other things, it talked about how the U.S. has historically done things in those countries that led to some of the situations that exist today. I wish that they would have the author (or others that can speak to that history) on the show. I’d much rather have educational topics than just arguing the same sound bite taking points all the time. 

Exactly. I blame people like Meghan for this. The hyper patriotism leads to so much ignorance. 

• Love 10
8 hours ago, jalady said:

What is so shocking is that Jeanine is a woman of color who is the daughter of Lebanese immigrants.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

What is so shocking is that Jeanine is a woman of color who is the daughter of Lebanese immigrants.  

I grew up with Lebanese and Syrian kids in my Catholic elementary and high schools in Phoenix.  They were Caucasian as far as race was concerned.  Has that changed?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

She adopted a daughter from Guatemala. That's a beautiful thing to do. But it doesn't give her a pass to say whatever the hell she wants about immigrants. 

SURELY, Ingraham is hurt by the generalized comments about the various colors of the immigrants desperate to escape their countries and come to the USA.  Surely.  Why wouldn't she give an opposing opinion?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Back Atcha said:

I grew up with Lebanese and Syrian kids in my Catholic elementary and high schools in Phoenix.  They were Caucasian as far as race was concerned.  Has that changed?

The Census Bureau classifies Lebanese people as white, but the majority of Americans only consider people of European descent white. Most of the Middle Eastern people I know consider themselves people of color, even if they look European. I've known some who consider themselves white though. They are still aware most Americans see them as "other" or even brown just because of where they're from. 

Just now, Back Atcha said:

SURELY, Ingraham is hurt by the generalized comments about the various colors of the immigrants desperate to escape their countries and come to the USA.  Surely.  Why wouldn't she give an opposing opinion?

I don't know what goes on in that woman's head, but I've seen enough of how she talks about people of color to be turned off. 

6 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I was shocked to find out she was the daughter of Lebanese immigrants too. The way she talks about Middle Eastern/Muslim people could get ugly. Around half of Lebanon's population is Muslim. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

Excellent point although I would like to tweak one sentence: the U.S. has historically done things in those countries that led to some all of the situations that exist today. 

And then we downplay and deny the cumulative effect of what was done. Our hands are filthy dirty, and bloody. It's a conversation that absolutely needs to be heard and wouldn't it be amazing if The View played a part? 

Nah. Too busy with VYD. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, suomi said:

Excellent point although I would like to tweak one sentence: the U.S. has historically done things in those countries that led to some all of the situations that exist today. 

And then we downplay and deny the cumulative effect of what was done. Our hands are filthy dirty, and bloody. It's a conversation that absolutely needs to be heard and wouldn't it be amazing if The View played a part? 

Nah. Too busy with VYD. 

And let's be honest, can't have an honest conversation about the US with Meghan at the table. She'd have to leave so the adults could talk.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I have many friends who are Lebanese, who's parents and grandparents were immigrants from Lebanon. They never have considered themselves people of color. Same with my friends who are Armenian and Syrian - never consider themselves 'people of color'. I have never ever heard Pirro call herself ' a person of color', either.

Where in the world did this come from ?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

I have many friends who are Lebanese, who's parents and grandparents were immigrants from Lebanon. They never have considered themselves people of color. Same with my friends who are Armenian and Syrian - never consider themselves 'people of color'. I have never ever heard Pirro call herself ' a person of color', either.

Where in the world did this come from ?

When I look at Jeanine Pirro, I see a woman of color. I am Black and she is the same complexion as one of my aunts.  Furthermore this country bestows Whiteness to a limited group of people since it's inception as a nation. It was not that long ago that the Irish, Polish, Italians, Greeks, Germans were not considered "White"..  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2