Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S05.E11: One Small Step

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I found it rather dubious that Nicky got vaccinated twice already, when he seems like someone who would be in no rush whatsoever.

But of all the things to be dubious about with this show, I suppose it's on the bottom of the list!

I've actually been surprised at some people who've been eager to be vaccinated that I wouldn't have expected it from. Also, he knew he would have to be vaccinated to go visit with his namesake and "the girl."

I mean, there are a lot of things to be dubious about with this show. But I don't consider that one of them.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Just started the episode, and declare to myself aloud:  “Why does Jack have to corrupt our Uncle Nicky episode??”

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Nicky breaking the snow globes trying to follow TSA regulations might be the saddest this show has ever made me. That or "I'm better, Jack. I'm not the monster you remember." I'm glad he has refused Kevin's stupid nicknames. I appreciated how warm and welcoming Madison was towards him. She's come a long way since her introduction.

  • Like 17
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I am not sure if it was the same health practitioner who gave Nicky the shots, but his demeanour between his first shot and second shot showed how excited he was to visit his family. 
 

As a Canadian, it seems every single one of my American relatives (mainly in California) has gotten their vaccines, so I am surprised it’s slower in other states. Kate and Kevin’s families should be able to get vaccines quick. 
 

In defence of Kate and Randall, I don’t think they necessarily had “no interest” in having Nicky join their family, but they were not going to push it either. It is sad that Nicky was so reluctant, but at the same time, I don’t blame Kate or Randall to take the time to make Nicky overcome his fears and guilt. Kevin literally had to move to a new state, but a new trailer and do AA with him. Would Kevin have the time and emotional bandwidth to do all of that if he already had kids of his own? 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Kevin literally had to move to a new state, but a new trailer and do AA with him. Would Kevin have the time and emotional bandwidth to do all of that if he already had kids of his own? 

Kevin really needed to do that for himself, not just for Nicky. Hitting rock bottom was the main reason he sought out Nicky.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

My co-worker's Dad is a veteran and he did get his vaccine at the VA in early February, so that part of the story seemed legit to me.  

This was a great episode.  

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Maybe Sally's parents' home, her childhood home before she hit the road with Pearl, or should I say, in Pearl.

Was Sally supposed to be living in the van?  If so, I'd be curious how she was keeping herself looking the way she did without regular access to showers and basic hygiene. 

 

17 hours ago, Haleth said:

(But no Sally please.  Move on, Nicky.)

I mean, it's totally this show to treat a relationship Nicky had for a month 50+ years ago as the one true love of his life, but I hope they resist the temptation and Sally doesn't suddenly pop up as Madison's heretofore unseen cleaning lady.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Was Sally supposed to be living in the van?  If so, I'd be curious how she was keeping herself looking the way she did without regular access to showers and basic hygiene. 

It seems like she enjoyed showering with the dogs at the veterinary clinic.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 9
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I mean, it's totally this show to treat a relationship Nicky had for a month 50+ years ago as the one true love of his life, but I hope they resist the temptation and Sally doesn't suddenly pop up as Madison's heretofore unseen cleaning lady.

I said the same thing to my husband! Sally will turn out to be Madison and Kevin’s house keeper. Or Sally will be Madison’s estranged mom. Maybe Nicky does end up as the twins grandpa after all. Lol!!

  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I found it rather dubious that Nicky got vaccinated twice already, when he seems like someone who would be in no rush whatsoever.

But of all the things to be dubious about with this show, I suppose it's on the bottom of the list!

Where I live vets got it early with the first group. He was in recovery, going to meetings etc. and I'm sure his doctor (and Cassidy) got him signed up. He also knew the twins were coming and might have given him motivation.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Kevin really needed to do that for himself, not just for Nicky. Hitting rock bottom was the main reason he sought out Nicky.

I think Kevin identified with Nicky as the screwup brother, too.

  • Like 14
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nobody should have to remove shoes anyway. We all know it is an illusion of security.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I mean, it's totally this show to treat a relationship Nicky had for a month 50+ years ago as the one true love of his life, but I hope they resist the temptation and Sally doesn't suddenly pop up as Madison's heretofore unseen cleaning lady.

I loved Sally, but I think the main point of showing that relationship was what it represented to Nicky. He was all innocence and youth and possibility with her, and then Vietnam came and took everything away from him, like it did for so many of that generation.

Apparently he did remain in touch with her as he has said he went to her place after he got back from the war, but she wasn't home.  That was why he was living in that trailer, because he had bought it for her. He's holding on to the last good thing he had. 

I kind of hope the show doesn't go down that road of bringing Sally back in some contrived set of circumstances. Nicky's story has been heartbreaking, but told in such a lovely way that I would like to see him moving forward, however slowly, to a fuller life.  The flashforward seems to indicate that he gets it. 

  • Like 9
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

I am quite certain that the lady on the plane is senior citizen Sally. It’s in the eyes and the voice. 

I actually looked up the actress who played the airplane lady, because--though it was difficult to tell, with the mask--I thought for sure that she was the actress who played Mrs. Grubman on Nip/Tuck, but I was surprised that that actress would play such a bit part, since I have seen her in other roles before.  Anywho, she was the actress that I thought she was (Ruth Williamson), and the character is credited as Ellen on IMDb, not Sally.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, Miss Bones said:

I thought for sure that she was the actress who played Mrs. Grubman on Nip/Tuck, but I was surprised that that actress would play such a bit part, since I have seen her in other roles before. 

I will never stop waiting for Josh Malina to return but it seems like maybe it was just a one off for an actor you wouldn't thin they'd hire for a one off.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

LIne of the episode:

Nicky to Cassidy:  You need to tell me word for word how to use Amazon. com

Followed by 9 boxes from Amazon sitting outside the trailer

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Jack's friend encouraged him to continue lying to Rebecca about everything, especially about Nicky. 

Ooh boy, the broken trying to heal the broken. I get why this guy gave that advice. And I think I understand why Jack felt that his future happiness depended on boxing up his feelings/past and burying them away from his new family. Knowing Rebecca, if Jack told her he had a living brother, she would have, at some point, tried to find him. (*Waves to William*) Jack wasn't going to take that chance. Also, it took away his option to change his mind at some point (again, imagined self-protection).

I think the Pearson story may be how well people end up doing in spite of the obstacles placed in their path. Not all the characters get there easily (hello, every one of you), but it looks like they thrive in the end. Or, you know, die.

 

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

23 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Kili, your post put into words everything I have felt about the senior Pearson brothers since Nicky was introduced.  Jack and Nicky grew up with a father who was an abusive alcoholic.  Their father terrorized them and their mother and both boys were emotionally scarred before Vietnam.  Jack was the "strong" one and acted as the protector of his mother and little brother. He was always trying to "fix" things for his family up until the day he died.  

Nicky was his father's whipping boy.  His confidence and self esteem was beaten out of him buy the old man.  Where Jack fought back, Nicky became passive in order to survive his father.  Even as a 70 year old adult he is plagued by self doubt and the fear that was ingrained in him by his father.  

Cuts and bruises heal over time but unseen scares of emotional abuse imprint themselves on the mind and soul.  Adding to their trauma was the fact that their father's moods changed on a dime.  One minute things would be fine then suddenly the dad would go off and violence (emotional or physical) would occur.  Growing up with such tension all the time means never letting your guard down.  Needing to be "on alert" all the time effects a person's brain chemistry, especially for a child.

Both of the brothers were emotionally damaged before they went to Vietnam.  When Nicky was drafted, Jack tried to get him to go to Canada.  When Nicky refused, Jack volunteered and joined the army so he could go to Vietnam to protect Nicky.  Jack had a heart condition which would have disqualified him from joining up and he begged his doctor to help him cover up his condition for his physical.  Jack's need to protect and fix things for his loved ones is a part of his mind and soul.  It is a compulsion put there by his father.

While serving in Vietnam Nicky dealt with the traumas of war by withdrawing into drug use.  When Jack found out that Nicky was addicted, he set out to rescue his brother.  The tragedy of Nicky accidentally killing the young boy, was emotionally unbearable for both brothers.  Nicky's guilt and shame overwhelmed him and he withdrew from life.  Jack's guilt and shame of his not being able to "save" Nicky from himself caused him to turn his back on his brother.  He had been trying protect Nicky for all of his life and in Jack's mind he had failed his brother.  It was easier for him to "kill off" Nicky than deal with such emotional pain. 

Jack told himself that the death of the young boy was the reason for his estrangement with his brother.  In reality, this was the last of the emotional traumas both brothers had suffered together.  They had been going through traumas together for all of their lives.  The death of the little boy was just too much for both brothers. 

Both had addiction issues.  Nicky is an alcoholic who had lived like a hermit for almost 50 years.  He continued to punish himself up until Kevin came into his life.  Jack was a functional alcoholic.  He was a great husband and father although he never stopped trying to "fix" everything for his family.  Towards the end of his too short life, Jack admitted to himself that he was an alcoholic and he got sober.  I believe that if Jack had lived he would have reached out to Nicky and there would have been an opportunity for them to heal.

Kevin was a recovering alcoholic when he reached out to Nicky.  He been working on his issues in therapy and in AA.  He was able to help Nicky in a way that Jack couldn't.  Kevin is the one of the Big Three that is the most like Jack.  It a beautiful thing to see Jack Pearson's son help his Uncle Nicky regain his life.  

This post and Kili's are the best I've read and so spot on! Maybe because I was raised by and alcoholic father (not as abusive as Nick's and Jack's, but emotionally and physically undependable) & an enabling mother, that I could empathize with the brothers and really feel what they were going through. I'm also of their generation. My husband is a Vietnam vet.

 

 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, bybrandy said:
4 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I thought for sure that she was the actress who played Mrs. Grubman on Nip/Tuck, but I was surprised that that actress would play such a bit part, since I have seen her in other roles before. 

I will never stop waiting for Josh Malina to return but it seems like maybe it was just a one off for an actor you wouldn't thin they'd hire for a one off.

They didn't. It will turn out that the lady on the plane is Sally's sister. She tells Sally about sitting next to this strange man who said his name was Nick Pearson. Josh Malina, who is visiting while recovering from his car wreck injuries, says, hey, I was rescued by Kevin Pearson. I wonder if they are related. Sally then confesses that Nick Pearson is really Josh's father. They all go to Madison and Kevin's house for the big reveal. Kevin invites them all to stay with them in the addition that Kevin just put onto the house since the Pearsons are always ready to put up unexpected visitors. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post

Or Timothy Omundson who I think looks more physically Pearsonish... slightly...

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2021 at 6:24 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

They were supposed to move to St. Louis for Randall's drug trial, but that was cancelled.

When I first read that, I thought you meant they had gone there to support Randall because he was on trial for. drugs!!

Edited by MBayGal
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 17

Share this post


Link to post

What I hate about the scene with Jack and his Sargent is that things are never Jack’s fault.  He always gets the edit that excuses his actions.  Rebecca is still hearing about William, but Jack’s omission isn’t really his fault now because we learn he wanted to tell her, but was just following the advice he was given.  Blech.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, buttersister said:

Ooh boy, the broken trying to heal the broken. I get why this guy gave that advice. And I think I understand why Jack felt that his future happiness depended on boxing up his feelings/past and burying them away from his new family. Knowing Rebecca, if Jack told her he had a living brother, she would have, at some point, tried to find him. (*Waves to William*) Jack wasn't going to take that chance. Also, it took away his option to change his mind at some point (again, imagined self-protection).

I think the Pearson story may be how well people end up doing in spite of the obstacles placed in their path. Not all the characters get there easily (hello, every one of you), but it looks like they thrive in the end. Or, you know, die.

 

End in the every one of us dies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, MBayGal said:

When I first read that, I thought you meant they had gone there to support Randall because he was on trial for. drugs!!

That would have been far more interesting than Randall skinnydipping with the ghost of his dead mom.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That would have been far more interesting than Randall skinnydipping with the ghost of his dead mom.

Glad someone else thought that Randall was going to be tried for drugs!  "Randall's drug trial."  😄

That would be interesting.  Randall can get picked up by the po-lice when walking while black, get set up in a drug sting, "Don't you know who I am?" doesn't work with the non-Philly cops; Randall can now enjoy the Black Experience for reals and angst over whether he should choose a black man or white woman for his defense attorney.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

They didn't. It will turn out that the lady on the plane is Sally's sister. She tells Sally about sitting next to this strange man who said his name was Nick Pearson. Josh Malina, who is visiting while recovering from his car wreck injuries, says, hey, I was rescued by Kevin Pearson. I wonder if they are related. Sally then confesses that Nick Pearson is really Josh's father. They all go to Madison and Kevin's house for the big reveal. Kevin invites them all to stay with them in the addition that Kevin just put onto the house since the Pearsons are always ready to put up unexpected visitors. 

And Kevin will order lots and lots of takeout food to ensure there is more than enough for everyone. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Probably UO, but I wish I’d just skipped this episode entirely. I am so sick of the flashbacks to when Jack was young. On the plus side, no Rebecca. I love this series when they’re in the present or the flashforwards, but I’m just hate watching the flashbacks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Probably UO, but I wish I’d just skipped this episode entirely. I am so sick of the flashbacks to when Jack was young. On the plus side, no Rebecca. I love this series when they’re in the present or the flashforwards, but I’m just hate watching the flashbacks.

I did not mind the flashbacks of Young Jack when they are used to flesh out the already established story and this time Jack was deployed in a supporting role.  This episode was all about Nicky.  It is also necessary because the show already established in a flashforward that Nicky is wearing a wedding ring.  We need to see the character development that allows for him to find a woman and get married.  

I do agree that some of the Jack flashbacks are unnecessary at this point.  Last week was a perfect example where the scenes seemed written just to have Milo be in the episode.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

That would be interesting.  Randall can get picked up by the po-lice when walking while black, get set up in a drug sting, "Don't you know who I am?" doesn't work with the non-Philly cops; 

And the cops will reply, "we are the cops that arrested you birth mother who nearly died of a drug overdose for drug possession and sent her to prison for YEARS on the other side of the country."

My favorite bit about Sally was when Jack was trying to be Nicky's wingman and she shut down his Pearsoning and said that she was more than able to ask Nicky out if she wanted to with no help from him.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/25/2021 at 6:30 AM, readheaded said:

I think Kevin identified with Nicky as the screwup brother, too.

I think ,like Cassidy said, wanted Jack's approval.  But in each other they got just that. Each provides the other an unconditional love and I am all for it.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Nick is my favorite character in this show, by far.  

I like Dunne because he reminds me of Marc Maron physically, and I think he does a great job with this role.  I like Nick because he's damaged due to circumstances that he didn't create and which were beyond his control, his life has been wrecked as a result, and he recognizes it and is trying to fix himself.  And I identify with him because one of my nieces gave her son my middle name as his first name.

That said, I think Cassidy would have done the research to know that he couldn't travel with the snow globes (after all, she talked him through Amazon, so I would assume she knew what he was making), and Kevin's perseverating over what the babies will call him made no sense to me.  He's Uncle Nick to Kevin, he'll be Uncle Nick to his great-nephew and great-niece. Why wouldn't he be?

And, because I tend to watch television without pity (good on you who get the reference), why did it not surprise me that Nick gave a 5-minute monologue to two infants - he's a Pearson before he's anything.  Soliloquies are part of their DNA.  Poor bastard literally couldn't sleep until he did.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 10
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

And, because I tend to watch television without pity (good on you who get the reference), why did it not surprise me that Nick gave a 5-minute monologue to two infants - he's a Pearson before he's anything.  Soliloquies are part of their DNA.  Poor bastard literally couldn't sleep until he did.

That didn't bother me. All conversations with infants are technically monologues because they can't talk back.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

That didn't bother me. All conversations with infants are technically monologues because they can't talk back.

My point, exactly 😉 .  If a Pearson got lost in the woods by themselves, they'd talk to the trees while they were finding their way out. 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I think Cassidy would have done the research to know that he couldn't travel with the snow globes (after all, she talked him through Amazon, so I would assume she knew what he was making)

I really don’t think she knew.  She asked and he told her he would send her a picture.  She can walk him through the site without him telling her what he is buying, and once she did it once he could add the extra items.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Crs97 said:

What I hate about the scene with Jack and his Sargent is that things are never Jack’s fault.  He always gets the edit that excuses his actions.  Rebecca is still hearing about William, but Jack’s omission isn’t really his fault now because we learn he wanted to tell her, but was just following the advice he was given.  Blech.

I don't think these two things are equal. William was her child's father (that said child was actively interested in knowing about). Jack's brother was really Jack's business. I do believe if he'd lived with his sobriety long enough, he would have reconciled with Nicky, but even if he didn't that was his own (and Nicky's) business. While I don't feel the same about adoption and birth parents as Randall does, I think in the context of the show, Rebecca's 'crime' was at least very different from Jack's, if not 'worse'.

I don't see these things as excuses, but reasons. I think there's a difference.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Am I the only one feeling nervous about after having shared all this love, Nicky might have brought Covid to the little family (and it killing Kate or Miguel)? From what I understand, vaccination doesn't keep you from passing the virus on, nor does a test done days earlier. What I read from the show makers didn't sound like it, I don't think major plot pieces will be part of the covid adaptations (given that the series had already been planned), but I also don't think the show would have made Nicky a role model for risk behavior if there were not at least a covid scare. On the other hand, I was concerned about Kevin attending the birth after having been through an international flight and a ride with a stranger and it went well. But as Madison, I would have freaked to have someone who has just travelled take off his mask in my family's home, whether he had refrained from eating and peeing on the plane or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I really don’t think she knew.  She asked and he told her he would send her a picture.  She can walk him through the site without him telling her what he is buying, and once she did it once he could add the extra items.

I missed that.  Good point.  

That makes him breaking them extra sad, then.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

He's Uncle Nick to Kevin, he'll be Uncle Nick to his great-nephew and great-niece. Why wouldn't he be?

Or the kids will organically come up with a nickname for him themselves when they're a little older.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/23/2021 at 7:18 PM, KaveDweller said:

Nicky episodes always make me tear up.....I find is story so sad. I felt so bad when his snow globes broke, and in the scene outside the bar with Jack.

I guess he just never showed up to meet Sally? I was expecting to see something happen that caused them to miss each other, but I guess he just got scared. 

Giving babies John Grisham books cracked me up. 

It wasn't just that he was scared to meet Sally.  He was scared to leave his mother alone with his father.  As long as he was there, he thought his father would behave better.  Really sad, and honestly , Jack would have felt guilty about that had he known.

  • Like 17
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Alexander Pope said:

It wasn't just that he was scared to meet Sally.  He was scared to leave his mother alone with his father.  As long as he was there, he thought his father would behave better.  Really sad, and honestly , Jack would have felt guilty about that had he known.

This is a great point! Just the light bulb Useful Like doesn't do it justice.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2021 at 5:56 AM, cardigirl said:

Loved this episode, so well done. Michael Angarano was amazing as the younger version of Nicky. He broke my heart several times.

Griffin Dunne is great, and I hope there are good things coming for Uncle Nicky. I was so happy he stayed and didn't run away after giving his speech to the babies. 

And for goodness sakes, I was tearing up at America's "This Is for All the Lonely People."  A pitch perfect episode for me.  

I teared up both times that song was played!! I love America.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Pasta said:

Am I the only one feeling nervous about after having shared all this love, Nicky might have brought Covid to the little family (and it killing Kate or Miguel)? From what I understand, vaccination doesn't keep you from passing the virus on, nor does a test done days earlier. What I read from the show makers didn't sound like it, I don't think major plot pieces will be part of the covid adaptations (given that the series had already been planned), but I also don't think the show would have made Nicky a role model for risk behavior if there were not at least a covid scare. On the other hand, I was concerned about Kevin attending the birth after having been through an international flight and a ride with a stranger and it went well. But as Madison, I would have freaked to have someone who has just travelled take off his mask in my family's home, whether he had refrained from eating and peeing on the plane or not.

Evidence so far indicates that it is effective at substantially reducing the risk of transmission. They no longer require people who have been exposed to Covid to quarantine if they've been vaccinated, which is most telling to me. 

 

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/24/2021 at 8:16 AM, BusyOctober said:

 I can’t remember if Jack or Nick ever tried to reconcile or talk when they got back home.  But what happened that made Jack write off Nick so completely?  Something more than his moral outrage that his brother was involved in accidentally killing the the boy from the village?  While it was a horrible event, how can Jack be so righteous when he is actively lying (and continued to lie) to Rebecca for years?

Am I misremembering? Because I thought 1. The kid's death was less "Nicky accidentally killed him"  and more "He died accidentally and Nicky couldn't stop it."(And yeah, it was reckless to be grenading fish and he was careless in his watching of the kid, but it's not like he accidentally shot him in the head or something.) And 2. WE know it was accidental...but Jack didn't, did he? I could have sworn that  a big part of the episode was Angry Fucked Up Nicky Has No Compassion For/Resents The People to such a degree that it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for Jack to think that kid's death wasn't entirely an accident.  And I can see that being a lightswitch moment for Jack that the Nicky he knew is metaphorically dead if he could do something like that and absolutely refusing to engage with this person -- this monster -- that took his place.

Before this episode, I'd say "Yeah, I get that, but *eventually* he'd come around at least hear Nicky out." But after this episode? Good advice or no, Jack locked Vietnam in a box and that included Nicky. I'm not saying any of it is *right* but I get it. If, indeed, I'm remembering correctly; I'm far too lazy to look.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Nick is my favorite character in this show, by far.  

I like Dunne because he reminds me of Marc Maron physically, and I think he does a great job with this role.  I like Nick because he's damaged due to circumstances that he didn't create and which were beyond his control, his life has been wrecked as a result, and he recognizes it and is trying to fix himself.  And I identify with him because one of my nieces gave her son my middle name as his first name.

That said, I think Cassidy would have done the research to know that he couldn't travel with the snow globes (after all, she talked him through Amazon, so I would assume she knew what he was making), and Kevin's perseverating over what the babies will call him made no sense to me.  He's Uncle Nick to Kevin, he'll be Uncle Nick to his great-nephew and great-niece. Why wouldn't he be?

And, because I tend to watch television without pity (good on you who get the reference), why did it not surprise me that Nick gave a 5-minute monologue to two infants - he's a Pearson before he's anything.  Soliloquies are part of their DNA.  Poor bastard literally couldn't sleep until he did.

Okay, so it isn't just me who thinks that Dunne and Maron could play brothers or cousins.

I miss TWoP, such a good site.

At least Nicky gave the monologue to present the books to the babies - it was probably a stress induced monologue more than anything else. Hopefully it's an acute bout of Pearson Monologue and not a chronic case - since we haven't seen him give much in the way of Pearson Monologues in the past - maybe he inherited his mother's monologue gene.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, LeisureTime said:

Am I misremembering? Because I thought 1. The kid's death was less "Nicky accidentally killed him"  and more "He died accidentally and Nicky couldn't stop it."(And yeah, it was reckless to be grenading fish and he was careless in his watching of the kid, but it's not like he accidentally shot him in the head or something.) And 2. WE know it was accidental...but Jack didn't, did he? I could have sworn that  a big part of the episode was Angry Fucked Up Nicky Has No Compassion For/Resents The People to such a degree that it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable for Jack to think that kid's death wasn't entirely an accident.  And I can see that being a lightswitch moment for Jack that the Nicky he knew is metaphorically dead if he could do something like that and absolutely refusing to engage with this person -- this monster -- that took his place.

Before this episode, I'd say "Yeah, I get that, but *eventually* he'd come around at least hear Nicky out." But after this episode? Good advice or no, Jack locked Vietnam in a box and that included Nicky. I'm not saying any of it is *right* but I get it. If, indeed, I'm remembering correctly; I'm far too lazy to look.

You're remembering right.  Also, part of Nicky's fucked upness was that he unfortunately got addicted to heroin like many of our boys did to ease the pain, horror and fear that they were trying to live through.  Nicky was stoned out of his mind during the boat incident.  I do not think it was right to out and out lie about Nicky being deceased to Rebecca though.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Evangeline said:

Evidence so far indicates that it is effective at substantially reducing the risk of transmission. They no longer require people who have been exposed to Covid to quarantine if they've been vaccinated, which is most telling to me. 

 

In my CT doctor's office I work in, Docs still stay if you traveled to Florida for instance and had both vaccines, you still have to stay away 5 days unless tested. There have been people exposed before or right after vaccine who are positive and I feel like any virus, you can carry it to some degree. What each state does varies a lot and each office can do what they want. My head never stops spinning.

I assume Nicky had his vaccines a while ago and going to a relatives home is ok. I also will believe he was tested as he said numerous times.  ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

.

At least Nicky gave the monologue to present the books to the babies - it was probably a stress induced monologue more than anything else. Hopefully it's an acute bout of Pearson Monologue and not a chronic case - since we haven't seen him give much in the way of Pearson Monologues in the past - maybe he inherited his mother's monologue gene.

I wasn't thinking monologue when he was talking, I still wont re watch the car salesman episode or one where Jack goes on and on. Nicky's seemed "normal", but if he went on about the globes and what happened and what they meant and all that, okay, that's a Jack moment. 🙂

I like when you see or catch the little things, like Kevin seeing Nicky's hands clenching and stopping the jabber and telling him it was time for bed, he must be bushed.  Jack never saw Nicky the way Kevin did even in the trailer that day. I felt that's why even Milo seemed surprised but the writers wanted this guy's underbelly to be out there more.

 

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Pasta said:

Am I the only one feeling nervous about after having shared all this love, Nicky might have brought Covid to the little family (and it killing Kate or Miguel)? From what I understand, vaccination doesn't keep you from passing the virus on, nor does a test done days earlier. What I read from the show makers didn't sound like it, I don't think major plot pieces will be part of the covid adaptations (given that the series had already been planned), but I also don't think the show would have made Nicky a role model for risk behavior if there were not at least a covid scare. On the other hand, I was concerned about Kevin attending the birth after having been through an international flight and a ride with a stranger and it went well. But as Madison, I would have freaked to have someone who has just travelled take off his mask in my family's home, whether he had refrained from eating and peeing on the plane or not.

The show's been  hit or miss with COVID, so they probably weren't even thinking about this.  Vaccine = safe in their minds.

That's why I wish they would have never addressed it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, debraran said:

In my CT doctor's office I work in, Docs still stay if you traveled to Florida for instance and had both vaccines, you still have to stay away 5 days unless tested. There have been people exposed before or right after vaccine who are positive and I feel like any virus, you can carry it to some degree. What each state does varies a lot and each office can do what they want. My head never stops spinning.

I assume Nicky had his vaccines a while ago and going to a relatives home is ok. I also will believe he was tested as he said numerous times.  ; )

Yes, I should clarify the guidance applies from two weeks after the last shot up until 3 months after the last shot. 

Edited by Evangeline

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size