Type keyword(s) to search

Gadgets: Phones, Tablets, & Whatever Else They Come Up With Next!

• Start Topic

Just now, shapeshifter said:

The tablet just needs to be functional for mostly recreational stuff and some document access. 

The Samsung line of Galaxy tablets is pretty budget friendly. I had one for years and only moved over to an iPad because I got a kick-ass deal on it.

• Useful 1
(edited)

We have a Samsung Galaxy that we got for free when my boyfriend upgraded his phone a few years ago and it works great and has held up well.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Not sure this is the right thread, but robot vacuum cleaners with wi-fi are gadgets, right? I finally broke down and bought a Roomba. It’s still teaching itself how to maneuver around my first floor, but I definitely see the advantages of maintenance vacuuming instead of letting the dog and cat fur pile up, especially under the couch and so forth. I really like being able to schedule cleanings, and being able to control the device itself using my phone. Now I’m considering getting the robot mopping device, the iRobot Braava jet. I love having tile floors, but mine are fairly light and really show any spills or whatever, that the vacuum will not get. For various reasons, time is always pretty tight, and I would like to cut down on any cleaning activities that can be done more efficiently by an automated process. Plus, downstairs is around 1800sf of mostly tile, which is a lot to mop by hand. 

Does anyone have any experience using the Braava? Any recommendations as to which model? It looks like a robot version of a swiffer. 

I'm starting to think whatever the this latest version of Windows with one drive and microsoft edge might be the closest thing to the nightmare that was Windows Vista to ever exist.

My home computer has it but I don't do that much with it so its efforts to default open and save to the worst location/feature/whatever possible is just mildly irritating.

My work computer which was set up by actual IT folks drives me to want to throw it against a wall on a daily basis.  Sometimes twice daily.  I wrote a helpdesk ticket today that is probably going to get passed around as the most entertaining (or annoying) thing they've ever seen.  It basically starts out with.... how do you resolve an issue that my new computer technically works but is totally inefficient.  followed by examples like the mouse does this and the keyboard does that and it seems like there is not enough memory and why is it saving there and why does it do this and that and the other thing.  my old computer did do this, that, and the other thing.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm starting to think whatever the this latest version of Windows with one drive and microsoft edge might be the closest thing to the nightmare that was Windows Vista to ever exist.

My home computer has it but I don't do that much with it so its efforts to default open and save to the worst location/feature/whatever possible is just mildly irritating.

My work computer which was set up by actual IT folks drives me to want to throw it against a wall on a daily basis.  Sometimes twice daily.  I wrote a helpdesk ticket today that is probably going to get passed around as the most entertaining (or annoying) thing they've ever seen.  It basically starts out with.... how do you resolve an issue that my new computer technically works but is totally inefficient.  followed by examples like the mouse does this and the keyboard does that and it seems like there is not enough memory and why is it saving there and why does it do this and that and the other thing.  my old computer did do this, that, and the other thing.

Maybe bake/buy cookies for the IT guy/gal?

(edited)
35 minutes ago, ABay said:

@shapeshifter, I have an HD Fire Kindle that's a few years old and have no problem reading and posting to the forums on it.

Is it an 8 or a 10, and do you watch Hulu or Netfix with it?

A friend said the video on hers is not that clear.

Thanks!

Edited by shapeshifter

@shapeshifter, it's an 8 and I do watch Netflix on it (don't have Hulu). I haven't noticed any particular problems with the image quality, if anything, it's sharper than my TV. Of course, the screen in very small so watching anything with subtitles is difficult.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, ABay said:

@shapeshifter, it's an 8 and I do watch Netflix on it (don't have Hulu). I haven't noticed any particular problems with the image quality, if anything, it's sharper than my TV. Of course, the screen in very small so watching anything with subtitles is difficult.

One more question: Do you have the 16GB or the 32GB?

I'm not sure, but it might open apps faster with the 32 (one reviewer complained that it was slow).

Thanks again!

Hi, 

I'm hoping someone can help me with the predicament I am in. For starters I'm not massively into photography so I'm not too savvy with photography acronyms and camera specs. I mainly use my camera for bird ID rather than for artistic purposes, especially when I'm abroad as it's easier to have a photo to ID than just a memory.

Now the issue...

A few years ago I managed to acquire an old Olympus e400 DSLR, with a Sigma 50-500mm lens, and have had some pretty decent results. The drawbacks being the setup is quite heavy and I'm not the most careful, and now the camera is giving up (blue line through photos & saying card cover open intermittently when its not!). 

After a friends advice, (not into bird photography) today I went and bought a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera, took it out this evening and was not too happy with the results, the zoom wasn't sufficient, and had much better results with my old setup. Although it was better not having a massive lens hanging around my neck for hours. So it's going back tomorrow.

With £500 to spend what's best idea?

a) Compact/bridge camera with a massive zoom.

b) Try to find a decent old/second-hand Olympus 4/3 camera (I have read they are no longer manufactured). Also was the E400 a decent spec camera for a 4/3 lens?

c) Quit photography and stick to bino's and memory.

d) Buy a new micro 4/3 camera and an adapter thing to take the sigma lens, if that's possible, which I think it might be.

e) None of the above, but one of your suggestions.

Any help would be great, I saw a lot of good cameras, but i want to hear your opinion.
Cheers,

Denis.

Okay, I know, I know, First World Problems, but if someone could tell me how this happened?

All of a sudden, about, roughly 100 books on my kindle app have disappeared from the "main" page when you launch the app. I have it filtered so all the books are in alphabetical order by the author's last name. All, I mean ALL 50 books from J.D. Robb's In Death Series are gone; about 10 of Nora's, ALL of Nalini Singh's books, except for the anthologies, have disappeared.

I have to use the search function if I want to read any of those titles and that's a pain in the butt. Why these titles? If this is a function of the "upgraded" app, I hate it. Why aren't ALL the books gone from the main page?

And some moron at Amazon Tech support made me delete my kindle app from my mini ipad and reinstall it, so now the background is a eye-blinding WHITE instead of the soothing dark blue. Then he told me only he could "update" from their end. He basically reloaded them. They show up in the bar at the top that says "From Your Library", but when I go to "My Library" at the bottom, which should load that...main page? Nope. Not there.

So I called again and this time asked for a supervisor, because the guy last night said they should show up on the main page. They didn't. So when I called again, the idiot I was speaking to tried to tell me maybe the books themselves were "out of date" and needed to be updated. Whut? So, yeah, I demanded, in a nice way, for a supervisor or expert who could help me because she was not understanding my issue. Because it also happened on my app on my iphone.

So I spoke with a supervisor, who acknowledged something was going on and would call me back. They're good about calling back, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else here who has a kindle app, has experienced this?

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

@GHScorpiosRule, which iPad Mini do you have? Specifically, is it able to be updated to Apple’s latest OS:   iOS 14.4?

No. The mini ipad is around 12 or 13, I think.  But I just updated it two weeks ago.  My phone is updated, but is also experiencing this issue. I mean, the books are there--have been for years, but they're...hidden, is the best example.

Huh. I wonder if the stupid iOS updates caused this, because all this happened after the updates!

I had issues after the last updates, but within a week or so the various apps had caught up. 
Sorry, I don’t really use Kindle, so don’t have any other advice at the moment. 
Googling takes me to a help page in my Amazon app on my phone that says a Last Resort is to uninstall and reinstall the app, but then you have to reload all your books 😟

5 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Googling takes me to a help page in my Amazon app on my phone that says a Last Resort is to uninstall and reinstall the app, but then you have to reload all your books

Well, like I posted above, the person I spoke to last night had me uninstall my Kindle app from my mini ipad and reinstall it, and the updated app, has that godawful white background. But I didn't have reload the books. I just had to sign into my account and they all populated. Except for the 100 or so "missing" titles.

I prefer to read the hardbacks and paper backs. But due to developing Keratoconus, I can no longer read the small print, and so I went the Kindle route, which allows me to enlarge the font when reading.

I bought a larger Kindle last year to replace the 7 inch one I'd had for a long time. I haven't noticed any change in the books but I really use it mostly to listen to podcasts. Sadly, it does not play well with Spotify and the volume goes all over the place without giving me any way to fix it.

13 minutes ago, ABay said:

I bought a larger Kindle last year to replace the 7 inch one I'd had for a long time. I haven't noticed any change in the books but I really use it mostly to listen to podcasts. Sadly, it does not play well with Spotify and the volume goes all over the place without giving me any way to fix it.

Yeah, I had a Fire Kindle that just DIED on me two, three years ago? No rhyme or reason and I took very good care of it. Hated the browser it had though (Silk), that didn't support a lot of apps like, Comedy Central! So I got a mini ipad and downloaded the app.

I have the paper white, small kindle for beach reading, but hey, no beach last summer, so missed that notice. BAH! Because at least 99% of another author's books (my shameful guilty pleasure, so I won't name her) are all interconnected and part of the same series, but they weren't grouped together! Nor were Nora's Calhoun series, or Stanislaskis, or O'Hurleys! or the McKades! One or two will be on the main page, but the rest? hidden. Just random. Because all of the Nalini Singh books are the Psy-Changelings, including the anthologies, but guess what? Those weren't plucked and added to the collections! If only I'd gotten them as bundles, then I wouldn't have this issue with those. But I was new to Kindle when I got them individually.

Why do businesses gotta mess with stuff that already WORKS? And now I have to go fiddle and find them.

Verizon has been emailing me with "come turn in your old even damaged phone and get an iPhone 14 on us (or an $800 credit on the rest of the 14 family.)"

All three of the phones in my home are paid off, but I'm not averse to swapping out the 12s for 14s at no new monthly charges. I actually love change and new stuff, although this phone doesn't seem to be a whole lot different.

Turns out my bill is actually going down by $10 due to some other credit they're tacking on.

Verizon will charge a few fees up front for the swap, but I just needed to say NO to all accessories and buy them on Amazon.* No to a case (I like a brand called Poetic that makes a super strong case for like $15.) No to the screen protector. I can get a three pack for $8. 

And no to the not-included USB C charger. The 14 uses a different charger than the 30 normal USB chargers I have in my house, because of course it does. Apple loves doing stuff like this. Regular lightning cables still work, but these phones want to be charged with the new ones.

* Downside of buying everything on Amazon is that I'm walking around with a naked iPhone 14 Plus today. It's spending a lot of time deep in pockets to make sure I don't drop it.

The Verizon kid also made sure I was taking advantage of all the extra stuff that just comes with my cell plans. Apple music is part of the package for no additional fees. My Disney+ bundle is part of the deal, which I already knew.

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Verizon will charge a few fees up front for the swap, but I just needed to say NO to all accessories and buy them on Amazon.* No to a case (I like a brand called Poetic that makes a super strong case for like $15.) No to the screen protector. I can get a three pack for $8. 

A

Yes, it makes me nuts that Verizon would charge like $20 for one screen protector.  I also buy the covers on Amazon, as you are doing--much cheaper.  I think you can use the old chargers for the newer iphones.  My husband uses our old ones.  I still have an iphone that is built for the old lightning charger. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, it makes me nuts that Verizon would charge like $20 for one screen protector.  I also buy the covers on Amazon, as you are doing--much cheaper.  I think you can use the old chargers for the newer iphones.  My husband uses our old ones.  I still have an iphone that is built for the old lightning charger. 

You can certainly use the older USB-A chargers. It just seems like the new USB-C is faster and probably better. But I have no firm evidence to support that “probably”.  

Per my son, it sounds like Europe did something that says all new phones need to use USB-C by next year, which is a reason apple made this change 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

You can certainly use the older USB-A chargers. It just seems like the new USB-C is faster and probably better. But I have no firm evidence to support that “probably”.  

Per my son, it sounds like Europe did something that says all new phones need to use USB-C by next year, which is a reason apple made this change 

I heard something about that a while ago but I did not pay much attention.  I do know that we still use the old chargers on the newer phone in order to have extras in the car or office so as not to have to buy additional ones.   They work well enough -- we haven't monitored the speed very closely.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1

I use the old ones too, and everything charges fast enough for me.  I have too many old bricks, plus all the plug adapters for traveling that have the old type USB ports that I'm not in any hurry to change.  Plus my car has the old type.

I'm not actually sure where the USB-C cord is that came with my iPhone 13. 

• LOL 2

I ought to cross post in Pet Peeves:  when my husband got his newer phone, the sales person at the "fake" Verizon store (one of the non-corporate stores) told us that the old bricks/cords wouldn't work with the new phone, but when we got it home we realized it was nonsense and he was just lying to sell us a new charger.  So I took it back and returned it.  I was so mad!

• Like 4

Okay, I’m confused. With the newest iPhones, can you still use your old lightning cable, or do you have to use a new cable that plugs into the actual charger?  Google is just making me more confused. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I’m confused. With the newest iPhones, can you still use your old lightning cable, or do you have to use a new cable that plugs into the actual charger?  Google is just making me more confused. 

Apple support itself says it’s okay to use the old ones. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Apple support itself says it’s okay to use the old ones. 

Thanks. So the port on the phone itself is still the same as before - the lightning port- right? What’s changed is the charger itself? And that’s what you can still use the old one of?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

Thanks. So the port on the phone itself is still the same as before - the lightning port- right? What’s changed is the charger itself? And that’s what you can still use the old one of?

Yes.  The lightning port on the phone is the same.  The other end of the new charging cord is different -- it's a tiny USB-C connection, so you need a different brick.  The bricks don't come with the phones anymore, but the cords do.  Or they did when I got my 13.  But you can use the old cord and brick with your new phone.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Verizon has been emailing me with "come turn in your old even damaged phone and get an iPhone 14 on us (or an $800 credit on the rest of the 14 family.)"

All three of the phones in my home are paid off, but I'm not averse to swapping out the 12s for 14s at no new monthly charges. I actually love change and new stuff, although this phone doesn't seem to be a whole lot different.

Turns out my bill is actually going down by $10 due to some other credit they're tacking on.

And no to the not-included USB C charger. The 14 uses a different charger than the 30 normal USB chargers I have in my house, because of course it does. Apple loves doing stuff like this. Regular lightning cables still work, but these phones want to be charged with the new ones.

* Downside of buying everything on Amazon is that I'm walking around with a naked iPhone 14 Plus today. It's spending a lot of time deep in pockets to make sure I don't drop it.

The Verizon kid also made sure I was taking advantage of all the extra stuff that just comes with my cell plans. Apple music is part of the package for no additional fees. My Disney+ bundle is part of the deal, which I already knew.

Nice! I'm always a bit envious of those killer trade-in deals. I'm grandfathered into a super inexpensive T-Mobile plan that is so old any changes or offers will require me to upgrade to a more expensive (for a nearly identical plan). I buy my phones through Samsung and take advantage of their less lucrative trade-in.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Nice! I'm always a bit envious of those killer trade-in deals. I'm grandfathered into a super inexpensive T-Mobile plan that is so old any changes or offers will require me to upgrade to a more expensive (for a nearly identical plan). I buy my phones through Samsung and take advantage of their less lucrative trade-in.

That’s interesting. It seems like it’s usually the other way around. Better plans become available but they aren’t reaching out to me to tell me I’m eligible for them! Happened with our cell plan recently, long ago with our landline, and currently I need to follow up with our isp because they’re offering much better deals to new customers. 

6 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That’s interesting. It seems like it’s usually the other way around. Better plans become available but they aren’t reaching out to me to tell me I’m eligible for them! Happened with our cell plan recently, long ago with our landline, and currently I need to follow up with our isp because they’re offering much better deals to new customers. 

I'm paying $41 a month (including taxes and fees) for a plan that is superior to their lowest price plan ($45/mo + taxes and fees). I've had this plan for 20+ years.

• Useful 1

FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m a tecnoturd, so it’s why I’m asking.

Is it possible to have two dvd and/or players hooked to the same TV? I have a Blu-ray and the second one can play the  4K. Sure, I can watch regular dvd and blu-ray on it, but the picture doesn’t expand on the entire teevee screen. Looks like a full screen “box” instead of widescreen like in a movie theater. And I’m anal enough that if I’m watching non-4K, I want to see the picture to appear on the entire screen.

And short of switching out between them, is it possible if I get one of those ports that have multiple HD ports where I can plug in both players to it and hook the main one into my teevee?

Thanks!

Speaking from near-total techno ignorance: Does your TV not have two HDMI ports? I think ours has four. At one point, we were switching from one satellite receiver to a newer one, and I wanted to get all the recordings off one and onto the other, so we had two DVRs connected to the same TV. We also concurrently had a DVD/VCR combo connected to the same TV. So I'm thinking this should be doable, either with the built-in ports on your TV or by plugging in a multi-port adapter.

Now someone who actually knows something can embarrass me.

• Wink 1
38 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

FULL DISCLOSURE: I’m a tecnoturd, so it’s why I’m asking.

Is it possible to have two dvd and/or players hooked to the same TV? I have a Blu-ray and the second one can play the  4K. Sure, I can watch regular dvd and blu-ray on it, but the picture doesn’t expand on the entire teevee screen. Looks like a full screen “box” instead of widescreen like in a movie theater. And I’m anal enough that if I’m watching non-4K, I want to see the picture to appear on the entire screen.

And short of switching out between them, is it possible if I get one of those ports that have multiple HD ports where I can plug in both players to it and hook the main one into my teevee?

Thanks!

For the first part of your question, I think that totally depends on what/how many inputs your tv has, and whether the players have compatible outputs. For the 4K player, I would think that has an hdmi connection, and most TVs in recent years have multiple inputs for that. 

As for the display ratio, check the settings for each of your devices- you may be able to select between normal, wide, default… or 4x3, 16x9 , etc. Barring that, maybe your remote or tv settings let you toggle between settings under something like “display” or “aspect ratio”. 

• Useful 1
21 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Does your TV not have two HDMI ports?

It has three ports: one for cable, second for my Amazon stick, and the third for my dvr player.

22 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

For the 4K player, I would think that has an hdmi connection, and most TVs in recent years have multiple inputs for that. 

Right, but my 2020 Samsung 55 4K only had 3.

24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

As for the display ratio, check the settings for each of your devices- you may be able to select between normal, wide, default… or 4x3, 16x9 , etc. Barring that, maybe your remote or tv settings let you toggle between settings under something like “display” or “aspect ratio”. 

I tried that and it didn’t work. Just got off the phone with Best Buy’s Geek squad and they confirmed that I can get an adapter, but have to make sure it’s compatible with the 4K. I’ll head to the store and ask which one is and proceed from there.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Huh. I changed a setting, enabling Dolby and my original recipe Law & Order fills the entire screen! But of course, turning the power on, turns the power on for Both players! But I’ll be testing one of my classic Bollywood DVDs to see if it fills the complete screen. If so, then I’ll just use the Blu-ray in my bedroom. Otherwise, I’ll be using the adapter.

• Applause 1

New iPhone screens apparently scratch easily?
Does anyone have experience with this?

My iPhone 7+ is no longer able to be upgraded to the latest OS, which I know means eventually forums like this and online word games will lose bits of functionality. Plus, I could really use a better camera.

So phone replacement is looming on my horizon.

I've decided to stick with the iPhone, but am concerned about this issue of the screens on the newer versions being easily scratched. 
I'm not convinced that a screen protector would work well for either my eyes (20 years post cataract surgery) or my fingertips (having side effect of loss of fingerprint ridges 8 years after successful but aggressive chemotherapy).

I plan to make a trip to the Apple Store (not near me) but would appreciate any info or opinions from anyone here who is eager to share. 🙃😉

54 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

New iPhone screens apparently scratch easily?
Does anyone have experience with this?

My iPhone 7+ is no longer able to be upgraded to the latest OS, which I know means eventually forums like this and online word games will lose bits of functionality. Plus, I could really use a better camera.

So phone replacement is looming on my horizon.

I've decided to stick with the iPhone, but am concerned about this issue of the screens on the newer versions being easily scratched. 
I'm not convinced that a screen protector would work well for either my eyes (20 years post cataract surgery) or my fingertips (having side effect of loss of fingerprint ridges 8 years after successful but aggressive chemotherapy).

I plan to make a trip to the Apple Store (not near me) but would appreciate any info or opinions from anyone here who is eager to share. 🙃😉

Do you have a screen protector?

• Thanks 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Do you have a screen protector?

Nope.

And no scratches on my current or even more ancient phones.

But I recall the easily scratched eyeglass lenses of the 1990s. 

And I've never shattered a phone screen, so I do not see the replacement of non-shatterproof glass with shatterproof-but-easily-scratched glass as an improvement.

꧁--❊ 𝕊𝕚-𝕚-𝕚𝕘𝕙…----꧂

It's always something.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Nope.

And no scratches on my current or even more ancient phones.

But I recall the easily scratched eyeglass lenses of the 1990s. 

And I've never shattered a phone screen, so I do not see the replacement of non-shatterproof glass with shatterproof-but-easily-scratched glass as an improvement.

꧁--❊ 𝕊𝕚-𝕚-𝕚𝕘𝕙…----꧂

It's always something.

Screen protectors aren't expensive.  Worth getting.

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I just think I'd hate it. My fingerprints peel off every couple of weeks due to long-term effects of chemo in 2016. I have to use a password on my laptop because my fingerprint is not recognizable. So I think the screen protector would likely make my phone a brick for me. 

But I could be wrong about that.

So, yeah, I'll be sure to ask to try a screen protector at the Apple store.
Thanks for the helping me figure that out.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I just think I'd hate it. My fingerprints peel off every couple of weeks due to long-term effects of chemo in 2016. I have to use a password on my laptop because my fingerprint is not recognizable. So I think the screen protector would likely make my phone a brick for me. 

You really don't need to get it from the Apple Store.  You could head into a Best Buy or Staples and find one.  

• Like 1

I used to get atopic dermatitis only on my fingertips, and I think over time my prints flattened to the point where they hardly exist. When I got my first smartphone, I couldn't use the fingerprint function to unlock it, so I had to switch to the pattern (can't remember if this is a thing on iPhones). And my fingers were just generally clumsy in entering text and such.

All this is by way of saying that you could probably use a stylus and avoid the whole fingerprint issue. You can get ones that plug into the headphone jack--if your phone has one--so you don't have to dig around in your pocket to find it, it's just always in the phone. I haven't needed a stylus in a long time, so maybe by now there's a higher-tech version, but it might be worth considering.

Failing that, we'd probably be a great team committing crimes, what with no fingerprints to worry about.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

44 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

You really don't need to get it from the Apple Store.  You could head into a Best Buy or Staples and find one.  

Or there are many varieties available from large online retailers.  I got a multipack of anti-glare film (not glass) protectors for a very reasonable price.  The only tricky part is the initial installation - you don't want the least bit of dust or air bubbles - but once it's on you're good to go. 

I think I have one of the last iPhones that uses fingerprint ID, and the screen protector doesn't cover that area.  (Ironically, my fingerprint ID sensor became disabled when my phone fell from a low couch arm onto a carpeted floor - grrr! - so I've been entering my passcode to use it until enough other stuff breaks to justify getting a new one.)  I may be mistaken, but I think all the current iPhones (except possibly SE) have face recognition. 

At any rate, the protector doesn't affect the response to touch at all for me.  Fingerprints don't enter into it at all.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
24 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Right. I was just thinking that when I go to the Apple Store to look at the newer models, I'd ask to try them with the screen protector. I'll call first to see if they have them for testing. 

23 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I used to get atopic dermatitis only on my fingertips, and I think over time my prints flattened to the point where they hardly exist. When I got my first smartphone, I couldn't use the fingerprint function to unlock it, so I had to switch to the pattern (can't remember if this is a thing on iPhones). And my fingers were just generally clumsy in entering text and such.

All this is by way of saying that you could probably use a stylus and avoid the whole fingerprint issue. You can get ones that plug into the headphone jack--if your phone has one--so you don't have to dig around in your pocket to find it, it's just always in the phone. I haven't needed a stylus in a long time, so maybe by now there's a higher-tech version, but it might be worth considering.

Ugh. I hope it doesn't come to that, but eventually…

22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Failing that, we'd probably be a great team committing crimes, what with no fingerprints to worry about.

Right!?!!! 😆

• Like 1

Ohhhh my old iPhone 6 has 0 scratches on screen. Newer iPhone 11 is full of screen scratches. Definitely newer screens are worse.

I never used a screen protector.

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have always used the screen protectors and they don’t have an effect on the phone action. I get the cheap ones from Amazon. Like 3 for $10. They’re very expensive at the apple store. 

• Useful 2