Type keyword(s) to search

Birdgirl - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Screenshot-2021-03-11-at-5.00.03-AM.png

Birdman-Birdgirl-feature.jpg?q=50&fit=cr

‘Harvey Birdman’ Spinoff ‘Birdgirl’ With Paget Brewster Set at Adult Swim

“Birdgirl” is a six episode (half-hour) spinoff of “Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law” set to appear on Adult Swim on April 4th.

Paget Brewster lends her voice to the title character, Judy Ken Sebben (aka Birdgirl). Brewster previously voiced Birdgirl in the original series “Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law” (2001) as well as the recent special “Harvey Birdman, Attorney General,” which aired on Adult Swim in October 2020. (“Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law” aired for four seasons and 39 episodes along with the special “Harvey Birdman, Attorney General” which are all available for viewing on HBO Max..)

In the new series, after being named CEO of the world’s largest and most non-sensical corporation, Sebben & Sebben, Judy Ken Sebben (aka Birdgirl) has to find a way to maintain her work/superhero life balance. Through the halls of the company headquarters she assembles her Birdteam. By day, they try to drag the company into this century. By mid-afternoon, they usually end up having to break a lot of things to stop something bad that one of them may have helped cause.

Attend #WarnerMediaRISE   https://rise.warnermedia.com/   

The Warner Media RISE event goes live March 16-18 at 11 am Eastern Standard Time.

Day 1 (March 16) "CLOSER TO YOUR HEROES" includes an "Exclusive first look of Birdgirl" 

All content featured within the WarnerMedia Rise experience will be made available to the public until March 20.

Edited by AnimeMania

. . . and here's a trailer.

I'm thinking there's an outside chance we get at least one episode on/after midnight on April 1 . . . but given that the first episode premieres that weekend, I wouldn't put money on it.

Just caught it on DVR. It’s . . . ambitious. You could call it a distaff version of HB:AAL, with Birdgirl and her own female Mentok as her bestie. I’m thinking the absurdity of the original series will remain intact, especially with Judy frequently going full Birdgirl . . . but like @Vermicious Knid pointed out, thirty minutes might be too long.

I like Dog with Bucket Hat.

(edited)

I liked it, I like Judy/Birdgirl being the focus, and how her "team" were just her co-workers she roped into adventures, much like how she kept roping in Harvey (and others) in the original series. It really reminds me of early Archer in a way. A mix of ridiculous superhero stories and an office sitcom.

Unless this was a one time thing for the pilot, I don't know how a show like this can sustain 22 minute stories. What was great about Harvey Birdman was the rocket-fast pacing of the stories.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I like Dog with Bucket Hat.

Yeah, he's an early favorite of mine.

Edited by Galileo908
(edited)

Thought before I turn in: I have a concern that we won't be getting cameos from Hanna-Barbera characters like with HB:AAL. It was fun to see how deep the writers had to dig for characters. Back before Boomerang, when Cartoon Network would show really old-school stuff, they put up Devlin a few times. He wasn't anywhere near as fucked up as in the 2000's. I guess shattering an ass will do that to you.

ETA: Trying to remember the deeper cuts . . . Speed BuggyChan & The Amazing Chan Clan (the “Shouyu Weenie” episode), Mightor, Galaxy Trio, Auggie Doggie . . . I should stop now.

Edited by Lantern7
20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Trying to remember the deeper cuts . . . Speed BuggyChan & The Amazing Chan Clan (the “Shouyu Weenie” episode), Mightor, Galaxy Trio, Auggie Doggie . . . I should stop now.

Hi-Riser from Wheelie & The Chopper Bunch might've been the deepest cut they did.

I forgot and missed the first episode, but I have the repeat cued up and put in a series recording.

Didn't they use Captain Caveman at one point? And I think I remember Dynomutt appearing in something. I once had a whole discussion with my brother about how awful the cartoons from the Banana Splits were. Now that would be a deep cut. Considering this was an unholy collaboration between Sid and Marty Krofft and HB, it should have been much better. Or crazier.

20 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I forgot and missed the first episode, but I have the repeat cued up and put in a series recording.

Didn't they use Captain Caveman at one point? And I think I remember Dynomutt appearing in something. I once had a whole discussion with my brother about how awful the cartoons from the Banana Splits were. Now that would be a deep cut. Considering this was an unholy collaboration between Sid and Marty Krofft and HB, it should have been much better. Or crazier.

Even better, they used Cavey Jr. from Flintstone Kids.

And the Krofft's work on the Banana Splits would lead to them starting their own company and creating HR Pufnstuf, and the rest as they say is history.

Seen the first two episodes now. Definitely stretched out more than it should be. A good 4-5 minutes of filler. like her secretary going off to Japan and getting pregnant and giving birth in the space of a week. Also doesn't seem like they plan to reuse any Hanna Barbera characters which was the best part of HBAaL. I wouldn't be surprised if the season ended with the return of Phil, since they established he's been presumed dead multiple times before.

(edited)

I hope they have a fast turnaround between seasons. With animated shows that can be done, but often isn't.

I loved it so far and whoever the genious was who decided to sample the ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod, from that one Harvey Birdman episode into a theme song deserves a fucking Emmy (a literal Emmy that fucks).

On 4/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

A good 4-5 minutes of filler. like her secretary going off to Japan and getting pregnant and giving birth in the space of a week.

Ah come on, that was the funniest part of that whole episode!

She knocked on a paper door and it made the sound of plexiglass!

Also time clearly moves different in Japan. It was autum when she got there (brown leafs blowing in the wind), winter when they planted the tea (snow), spring when they fell in love and somehow got engaged at the same time (cherry blossoms in the wind), summer when she was 9 months pregnant (sun shining, butterflies) and autum again, when the tea had fully grown and was processed into one single tea bag.

It was a perfect parody of a quest / samurai movie.

Also, also, I don't understand much japanese, but during the spring-scene the song had "sakura" in it, which means cherry blossom, so I would assume the songs are thematically tailored to the scenes and probably funny in their own right. Somebody really put some effort into this one.

On 4/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the season ended with the return of Phil, since they established he's been presumed dead multiple times before.

No such luck. Colbert is probably too busy / expensive for anything but a cameo in the series finale.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 1

I kept meaning to post. It's cute, and there are bits of the whiplash humor prevalent in HBAaL, but I feel myself wanting. And something like seeing Smurfs in their village doesn't really get me. Of course, by "Smurfs," I mean "talking foreskins." WHAT THE FUCK?!?

The series works without the Hanna Barbara extras. I wonder if they had access to those.

Cherry blossoms are sakura. It's why there are an ungodly number of girls in anime/manga with that name.

My biggest problem with the show is that most of it just wasn't funny, or even entertaining. Definitely too stretched out with the nonsensical B stories. If this does get a second season I don't think I'll bother.

7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Cherry blossoms are sakura. It's why there are an ungodly number of girls in anime/manga with that name.

Which is what I said... admittedly with a spelling error in it at first...

7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

My biggest problem with the show is that most of it just wasn't funny, or even entertaining. Definitely too stretched out with the nonsensical B stories. If this does get a second season I don't think I'll bother.

Guess ymmv. I thought especially the B stories were gold.

I thought they got the pacing better as the season went on, but I thought the show was okay at best. I agree with @Lantern7 I was feeling wanting. Meredith, Dog with a Bucket Hat, and Gillian aside, I'm not a fan of the side characters.

The revelation of Baltimo came out of nowhere, for one. I would've appreciated it if Judy was feeling sick from the effects the whole season, but it only showed up in the finale.

In season two of Birdgirl, the Birdteam is back and still not learning from their mistakes. Judy Ken Sebben and the Birdteam attempt to navigate the troubles of modern corporations, tackling everything from ethics in new tech, to cancel culture and rejuvenating skin sack health fads. Will they fail? Spectacularly! But sometimes it's not about the solutions we come up with, it's about the new problems we make along the way.

S02.E01: The Wanky

Judy discovers her sexuality fifteen years later.

Original Airdate: June 19, 2022   11:30 PM   Adult Swim

S02.E02: The Rejuvication

Gillian guides Charley through a difficult rebirthing.

Original Airdate: June 20, 2022    Midnight   Adult Swim

On 7/4/2022 at 12:34 AM, Lantern7 said:

Anyone else watching? I think it's gotten better, though I'm still wondering if we need the entire half-hour.

I agree. When it wants to get weird (like Harvey Birdman before it), it's really fun. But the half-hour runtime still bogs down the pacing. The show really doesn't need to be half an hour.