Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: The Milk Run

• Start Topic

I saw the thread here, then was looking for the episode on my DVR and didn't see it and I thought I missed an episode.  I guess it makes sense why a three week break in between episodes (Grammys and March Madness), but I am annoyed.  This is probably my favorite show currently airing on TV.  Long live the Queen!

• Love 9

All i've got is commercials—do we know when this will start? (I mean, approaching 14 straight minutes of commercials.)

ok now there's a commercial for The E, so I guess that’s progess

OK, i admit it, she had me at the end there. 😊

Edited by janeta
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, janeta said:

All i've got is commercials—do we know when this will start? (I mean, approaching 14 straight minutes of commercials.)

60 Minutes ran over about 13 minutes (due to some basketball game I guess?) - I just set recording for 30 minutes extra.

Thought this wasn't too bad... until the oft-used hacking app that allows a script-kiddie to penetrate any system, on any network, anywhere in the world.....  Projectile vomiting as a direct result of the dusting off of this old, old chestnut, I was forced to stop watching.

My interest in this show is already so low I'd already have stopped watching, were we not in a Covid-induced drought of watchable programming. As it is, if it gets any worse than this, not even a virus of completely unknown origin will stop me from wiping it off my viewing schedule.

• LOL 3

"Shall.  We.  Play.  A.  Game."  Oh man, I shed a small nostalgic tear when he said that.  I think I watched the movie Wargames about eleventy-billion times when it was on HBO back when we first got HBO and it seemed to be on rotation about 3 times a day.  And I always remember that line.  ha!

The annoying hacker was nicely annoying.  I love how he was so superior and thought he was the smartest guy in the room.  And he kinda was with his super-hacking-gizmo but head-to-head with Robyn he was like 0 for 10.  LOL.  The actor was good because he tread the line between annoying and smarmy but still kinda charming.  So I couldn't 100% dislike him.

Her final line when she told him if he re-created his little super-hacking-gizmo she'd find him and kill him -- QL's delivery of that line was so convincing.  I felt that.  I was sure despite all her wanting to help folks she'd do the double tap, this time in his head.

I knew Bishop would not double cross her, was just waiting to see how the final act would play out.  I liked it. 

• Love 14

The programmer was such an obnoxious person, I admit I didn't see it coming that he'd be a loving dad, nor did I expect to see him being characterized as "an innocent man". Also, didn't expect to see him playing along when they got caught by Robyn's daughter. The show manages to be formulaic but still a little bit surprising, and I appreciate that.

• Love 13

When you capture someone and bring them to your secret lair, and then you show them the view outside, doesn't that tell the person where the secret lair is located?  Especially a genius who apparently knows everything?

The woman who played the mathematician's wife had so much plastic surgery that I kept waiting for it to factor into the plot?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 6

Not only did they toss a nod to WarGames, but the entire premise came from Sneakers, another old fantasy. Really, this show should be considered science fiction, and that’s alright. I love the actresses and Noth. The banter among them is fast-paced and funny. Keeps the plot moving along. Loved the look on Genius’s face when McCall suddenly had his gun. Loved the contrast of him slowly fetching it out of the cupboard to flash, kick, it’s aimed at him. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

When you capture someone and bring them to your secret lair, and then you show them the view outside, doesn't that tell the person where the secret lair is located? 

I can't get over the idea that they have giant windows in the lair. I think that's not real windows, it's an underground lair, isn't it? They would not want drones being able to look in, and see their "dead" resident. I forget his name, but the husband who lives there is supposed to be dead, so they surely do not have any kind of view. He never goes out because he's afraid of being seen on some random security footage. That apparent wall of windows is surely a giant screen with a view projected on it.

• Love 2

Glad to see this show back again. I was pretty sure that Bishop wouldn't betray Robyn and that this would be some kind of play between them, but they got me wondering until the CIA director shot the mathematician in the chest and I remembered Bishop commenting on how she always went for the heart earlier in the episode. I am really glad he didn't really betray Robyn, if she was pissed at him I would really miss their scenes together, they have great chemistry.  

The person of the week was an interesting change, Robyn has helped pretty nice people caught up in circumstances beyond their control and are really just looking for help, but the programmer guy really pushed her buttons so she pushed back, and basically had to get dragged literally and figuratively into accepting her help while going on about how he didn't need help, it was a different dynamic. He was such a smarmy narcissistic ass who was clearly driving Robyn up the wall, but he he also had a sort of charm to his annoying self of superiority and enough humanity that we can still be glad that Robyn saved him and his family.  It must be the accent. A posh British accent can make even the most annoying people at least have the veneer of charm. Good luck Canada indeed. Also an interesting ending where she told him she would kill him if he ever used his hacking codes or tried to sell them. Robyn is still a former CIA wet works agent after all, even if she is in the saving people business now. 

Not much of the daughter this week, but she is totally going to find out who Robyn really is by the end of the season right? 

I continue to really appreciate how good the cast is, even the guest characters. Its a fun show, it feels like a throw back to a lot of old school action shows with a kick ass lead who out foxes and out fights everyone with cool one liners and always saves the day and the poor hapless person they're helping. Just its with QL now, which just makes it even better. 

• Love 8

*Whew*!.  I'd would have REALLY hated to really hate Chris Noth, as he's burning up my TV screen these days.  I simply can't NOT look at him in every scene he's in.  

I think her aunt knows a lot more than she admits to, you can see her twisting Robyn's tail on occasion.  And enjoying every minute of it. 

QL is literally kicking ass in the physical combat and defense scenes. Whoever trains her does a great job, she comes off very graceful and confident.  Very believable I think. 

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, leighdear said:

*Whew*!.  I'd would have REALLY hated to really hate Chris Noth, as he's burning up my TV screen these days.  I simply can't NOT look at him in every scene he's in.  

He really is charismatic as hell in this role. He really had me thinking that he turned on Robyn. I'm so glad it was a (very good) fakeout.

Robyn and English Guy bumping into Delilah and Stepmom at the store came out of left field but it was a really interesting scene. I loved Delilah's text to Aunt Vi about busting her mom on a date "with some RANDO!!"

• Love 9
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

QL is literally kicking ass in the physical combat and defense scenes. Whoever trains her does a great job, she comes off very graceful and confident.  Very believable I think. 

How strange. I think the exact opposite.

So Robyn's cover job  is ... what, generic office worker?  An accountant?  Did we already know what it was?  I am too lazy to go back to watch he pilot right now, but I must have missed what her "job" is. 

One other thing I liked was when annoying hacker was being annoying at the very end about NOT being dead but having broken ribs (thanks to bulletproof vest) , Bishop maliciously jabbed a finger into his broken rib,  literally giving him the finger.  LOL. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

So Robyn's cover job  is ... what, generic office worker?  An accountant?  Did we already know what it was?  I am too lazy to go back to watch he pilot right now, but I must have missed what her "job" is. 

One other thing I liked was when annoying hacker was being annoying at the very end about NOT being dead but having broken ribs (thanks to bulletproof vest) , Bishop maliciously jabbed a finger into his broken rib,  literally giving him the finger.  LOL. 

Her cover is working for an international charity. She mentions it in this episode.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Her cover is working for an international charity. She mentions it in this episode.

I wish they'd give us an idea of what charity it is. Red Cross? Doctors Without Borders? She should at least have a fake office.

Another winner of an episode.  I continue to love Latifah in this role.  She’s competent at her job but she also is so warm and compassionate.  Like at the end when she was talking to the guy and telling him to take care of his family.

I had thought that Aunt Vi knows what she does but I guess not?   Would sure be a lot easier to cover for Robyn with Delilah if Vi was in on it.

I absolutely loved Delilah’s text to Aunt Vi.  “Just caught Mom on a date with some rando.  WTF!!!”   I was cracking up.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Netfoot said:

How strange. I think the exact opposite.

If you've even been an over-50 woman in a defense class, (like me) surrounded by other women (like me), you'd appreciate the training she's getting....Trust me, the real-life thing is not as pretty and coordinated as what QL shows on the screen!....*LOL*

• Love 8
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

If you've even been an over-50 woman in a defense class...

No, I've never been an over-50 woman in a defense class. But then, neither has Robyn McCall! She's supposed to be one of the leading CIA field agents, at the very top of her game. And she isn't coming across as one. She's coming across more like... an over-50 woman in a defense class.

If they can make Denzel & Liam look believable in a fight, I know they can do the same for QL. They just don't seem to want to. 

The teen daughter is still annoying at times, but I do actually like the family scenes; it can't be all spy stuff all the time. It's interesting that we meet the Wife of the Ex before the Ex. They're being really coy with the casting for Robyn's ex-husband.

Shallow note: I generally like the fashion choices here, however I feel like they dress Hacker Dude and His Wife* a little too fancy (or dressed up) when most of their scenes are just sitting/standing in ... the lair (does that place have a name yet?).

*(Nope, haven't learned their names yet)

Hacker Dude doesn't dress fancy, does he? I can't remember what he wears. I'm imaging him in jeans and some basic shirt. To me, he comes across as schlubby or... let's say casual. I would wear sweatpants every day for the rest of my life if I could, so I don't condemn it. I'm just saying he doesn't look dressed up, to me. Glamorous Sniper Wife does look rather formal, to me, for hanging around the lair. But I think her whole deal is that she's ready for spy action at any moment, and she also does seem to manage whatever the front business is upstairs (I can't remember what it is, I only remember they have one).

21 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Hacker Dude doesn't dress fancy, does he? I can't remember what he wears. I'm imaging him in jeans and some basic shirt. To me, he comes across as schlubby or... let's say casual. I would wear sweatpants every day for the rest of my life if I could, so I don't condemn it. I'm just saying he doesn't look dressed up, to me.

Yeah, mileage varies; I guess it depends on what your definition of "fancy" is. It's just that they have them in things that are clearly designer, when all they're doing is lounging for the most part. Also I don't feel it fits Hacker Dude's personality. But I admit I pay attention to stuff like that more than the average viewer!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Hacker Dude doesn't dress fancy, does he? I can't remember what he wears. I'm imaging him in jeans and some basic shirt. To me, he comes across as schlubby or... let's say casual. I would wear sweatpants every day for the rest of my life if I could, so I don't condemn it. I'm just saying he doesn't look dressed up, to me. Glamorous Sniper Wife does look rather formal, to me, for hanging around the lair. But I think her whole deal is that she's ready for spy action at any moment, and she also does seem to manage whatever the front business is upstairs (I can't remember what it is, I only remember they have one).

I had more of the feeling that she was retired from that life but missed it when McCall showed up at her upstairs bar/nightclub.

• Love 5

I liked that the guy she was trying to save wasn't exactly a good guy and spent most of the time being a pain. I wasn't expecting it. I was worried that Robin was going to be double crossed and glad that it wasn't the case.  

• Love 5

There was a moment at the end where the British guy and family are driving off, and Latifah absolutely nails the line delivery: "Good luck, Canada." It cracked me up - I felt all of the exasperation, fatigue, and relief from having to deal with that man for the past day.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The woman who played the mathematician's wife had so much plastic surgery that I kept waiting for it to factor into the plot?

Same. Whoo, it was distracting. 

• Love 4