Type keyword(s) to search

Cypher - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Roku Drops Explosive Trailer for Original Mystery Series, Cypher

Cypher is a 7 episode series airing for free on The Roku Channel, March 19th.

Watch for free on your Roku device, therokuchannel.com, or The Roku Channel mobile app.

When the FBI discovers a heavily coded document, they bring on leading cryptanalyst Will Scott to crack it. He soon realizes that it’s a hit list and finds himself in the crosshairs of the bad guys who want their list back. After they fake his death to keep him off the map, he struggles to stay one step ahead of the hit list, all while navigating muddled family issues with his young daughter and ex-wife and betrayal by those closest to him.

I am watching the first episode and thought I would really like the show. Fine, he took a picture of the sensitive material. Fine, he started to decrypt the information. WRONG, he is doing it with windows open with clear line of sight of the information. 

I watched three episodes so far and I was really enjoying the first half of the first episode and then the whole show went off of the rails, everything that was happening I felt was totally improbable. 

The show also suffers from what I like to refer to as "the brain becomes brawn syndrome" this is where someone who is hired to use their brains, like a scientist that is supposed to study a monster spends all their time in the series hunting the monster while acting like an action movie star.

Days go by as the cryptographer should be trying to crack the code and save the people about to be assassinated on the list goes around getting into car chases, car crashes, gunfights, fistfights and dealing with family drama. He does spend a lot of time trying to decipher the code, but the other crazy going on around him distracts you and just makes the story unpredictable and ungrounded in reality.

I am not sure how they can tie up the fantastical loose ends the show created, but I will probably watch til the end to see what they come up with. I am sure the explanation will not satisfy me.