Type keyword(s) to search

Predator and Prey: Assault, harassment, and other aggressions in the entertainment industry

Message added by OtterMommy

The guidelines for this thread are in the first post.  Please familiarize yourself with them and check frequently as any changes or additions will be posted there (as well as in an in-thread post).

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 4:55 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Kristin Chenoweth reveals she was in an abusive relationship

And the reason why she came forward about this was because people were giving her shit her about her reaction to the Combs video, that she was going to “pray” for Combs. I understand people getting fed up about abusers getting more sympathy than their victims, but just because you say you’re going to “pray” for someone doesn’t necessarily mean you’re more sorry about the abuser than the victim. Sometimes it’s just the “nice” way of telling someone to fuck off.

In any case, people process trauma in different ways, and people need to respect that. 

I really respect the fact that she can pray for Combs, a woman abuser. As someone else who was abused by my partner (my ex husband from 32 years ago)I finally forgave him, but didn’t develop the grace to actually pray for him and other abusers. I think she is a good example for me.

Edited by Stats Queen
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 3

I never liked Stephen A Smith.  All he does yell and scream and rant in general.

But on P Diddy he is spot on below

P Diddy's apology video was B.S.  And yeah most of the time I agree people should get second chances...  not for P Diddy though 

• Like 4

I have a hard time believing in second chances for domestic violence.  Most of the time, they aren't isolated incidents. 

But when it's denial, denial, denial like Diddy did until the video came out, of course, the apology is useless. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 4
28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I have a hard time believing in second chances for domestic violence.  Most of the time, they aren't isolated incidents. 

Yes, by the time abusers are exposed (if they ever are), they've almost always already been given far beyond second chances.  The average victim who finally breaks free for good does so on her seventh time trying to leave him.

• Like 5
  • Useful 10
  • Love 1

Few abusers ever change. It’s common to apologize. But one sign of someone legitimately capable of change is full, complete acceptance of responsibility. No excuses. No rationalization. No hedging. Full admission of everything. That’s pretty rare. And the therapy and work it takes to change is not simple or easy.

Maybe that’s what Kristin was praying for — that he would truly repent and change. I’d say it’s unlikely that will happen.

• Like 10
  • Fire 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

Few abusers ever change. It’s common to apologize. But one sign of someone legitimately capable of change is full, complete acceptance of responsibility. No excuses. No rationalization. No hedging. Full admission of everything. That’s pretty rare. And the therapy and work it takes to change is not simple or easy.

Maybe that’s what Kristin was praying for — that he would truly repent and change. I’d say it’s unlikely that will happen.

Maybe, but that's what faith is for.  If nothing else, she may have been praying that he never gets the chance to mistreat another woman.

As for Diddy, he saw his career circling the drain and thought he could save it by pretending that he had never denied what he'd done or called the women he abused names.  Because he is just that stupid and/or arrogant.  He probably surrounds himself with yes men who never disagree with him and it's caused a complete disconnect from reality.  

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5

I agree with the post that people can change, but it's rare. All of us remember Diddy denying the abuse like yesterday. 

https://www.billboard.com/lists/sean-diddy-combs-allegations-timeline/#

Combs denied the allegations against him in December. “ENOUGH IS ENOUGH,” he wrote. “Sickening allegations have been made against me by individuals looking for a quick payday. Let me be absolutely clear: I did not do any of the awful things being alleged."

If he had accepted responsibility and apologized before the video footage got out, I would think it's possible he actually had remorse for his actions and wanted to change, but nope. There was actually a member of Bad Boy, rapper G. Dep, who confessed to an old unsolved murder due to his guilty conscience. What he did was horrific, but I believe he truly felt bad to turn himself in like that. I was a Diddy fan when I was younger but just like at him with disgust now. 

• Like 7
19 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Daniel Stern recalls being a whistleblower on ‘90s sitcom over costars’ alleged harassment in new memoir  

After reading the article, I feel so bad for him, the terrifying consequences that fell on his head for trying to do the right thing. 

• Like 12
  • Love 2
On 5/26/2024 at 4:10 PM, Irlandesa said:

Domestic abusers might ask their victims for a second chance but to own up to what they did  usually only happens when they have been caught. If not for the video he would still be condemning his accusers as liars.

On 5/27/2024 at 6:17 PM, BetterButter said:

If they had listened to him then Ratner and Piven wouldn't have went on to continue doing what they were doing.  And if Moonves did find out he wouldn't of cared since he was doing the same thing.

22 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

After reading the article, I feel so bad for him, the terrifying consequences that fell on his head for trying to do the right thing. 

I looked at his credits in the years after this happened.  His career took a hit.  Seems like the bigwigs in Hollywood wanted to punish him for doing the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8
(edited)

I feel so bad for Daniel Stern.  I first remember him from Breaking Away.  He then had a great career, but it shows that people get blackballed.  He was a co-star with Billy Crystal, for example, but gets no help there to revive his career.  Everyone is afraid of the blackball machine. 

Daniel Stern strikes me as a regular guy who would not have done these things, hence why the women would have confided in him.  When he first became known for Breaking Away,  I was working at Redbook magazine.  His wife worked as a chef in our test kitchen!  They were just regular folks who lived in an apartment in NYC.  He's still married to that wife.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 16
3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Daniel Stern strikes me as a regular guy who would not have done these things, hence why the women would have confided in him

I can only speak for myself but I could figure out which men were allies and which men were.......not.  I always liked Daniel Stern. He just gives off a good guy vibe.  Ratner and Piven give off a different vibe.

• Like 14
(edited)

On the bright side, because it's all about me, I'm glad my disliking Jeremy Piven since the first time I saw him has been validated. Again.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 17
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ABay said:

On the bright side, because it's all about me, I'm glad my disliking Jeremy Piven since the first time I saw him has been validated. Again.

He has always made me feel... icky and I never really could say why. He just came across as kind of sleezy to me. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
14 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

He has always made me feel... icky and I never really could say why. He just came across as kind of sleezy to me. 

I’ll add arrogance to those traits. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

Weinstein's verdict being overturned may turn out to be a good thing.

Prosecutors Say New Accusers May Testify in Retrial After Overturned Rape Conviction

Nicole Blumberg, Manhattan’s Assistant District Attorney, told the judge that “some people who were not ready to speak out in 2020” may now do so for the new trial. An exact date for the retrial has yet to be announced, but it’s expected to be sometime after Labor Day.

Could end up with even more evidence against him. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 4
On 5/31/2024 at 12:25 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Weinstein's verdict being overturned may turn out to be a good thing.

Prosecutors Say New Accusers May Testify in Retrial After Overturned Rape Conviction

Could end up with even more evidence against him. 

Wait, wasn't one of the main reasons his verdict was overturned because the appellate court said it wasn't fair that accusers whose cases had never been tried in a court of law testified? 

• Like 1

Reading all these stories makes me so sad. I really hope the entertainment industry will be safer someday. You should be able to make a career acting or singing without such a high chance of abuse. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 4
20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Reading all these stories makes me so sad. I really hope the entertainment industry will be safer someday. You should be able to make a career acting or singing without such a high chance of abuse. 

Sadly I think that disgusting behavior has always been there but we are hearing more about it now.  Too many people in power look the other way especially when the perpetrator is making them money. Lots of people knew about Diddy but they were either afraid of him or keeping quiet was advantageous to them. And let's not forget about Harvey Weinstein.  He ruined women's careers when they didn't do what he wanted. I don't know what the answer is but believing women might be a good start.

• Like 11
35 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Sadly I think that disgusting behavior has always been there but we are hearing more about it now.  Too many people in power look the other way especially when the perpetrator is making them money. Lots of people knew about Diddy but they were either afraid of him or keeping quiet was advantageous to them. And let's not forget about Harvey Weinstein.  He ruined women's careers when they didn't do what he wanted. I don't know what the answer is but believing women might be a good start.

Unfortunately believe women does not apply to the law, and abusers know this.  An aspect of their abuse is financial abuse where they exploit contract law to punish victims for speaking out.  See the Kesha-Doctor Luke situation.  Or they know how costly a defamation lawsuit is so they badmouth actresses and singers left and right with impunity.  

• Sad 4
  • Angry 1
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Unfortunately believe women does not apply to the law, and abusers know this. 

I think for a lot of women if they can't have the law help them they want to be heard.  Yes it's terrible the law can't deal with Diddy for what he did to Cassie but at least now the world now can see what he did to her.

11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Or they know how costly a defamation lawsuit is so they badmouth actresses and singers left and right with impunity.  

Any time I hear an actress suddenly being denigrated by "insiders" I now think OK she must have rejected someone. It might not be true but after hearing about Sean Young and Mira Sorvino it makes me wonder.

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Oh of course! I guess it’s wishful thinking on my part to want the industry to get safer after so many years of all this horrific stuff going on. I have worked with some sleazy guys, but I’m grateful not to be in Hollywood.

• Like 4

Any time I hear an actress suddenly being denigrated by "insiders" I now think OK she must have rejected someone.

What I've noticed more now that I've opened my own eyes a little wider is how the fans are a big part of the problem.  I've lost track of how many fan sites have shown up on my FB feed, for instance, defending Brad Pitt and being so sympathetic to how that evil Angeline has turned all his children against him.  That's just the most recent example.  I still shudder when I remember all the fans going insane over Johnny Depp a year or two ago.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
38 minutes ago, Dimity said:

What I've noticed more now that I've opened my own eyes a little wider is how the fans are a big part of the problem.  I've lost track of how many fan sites have shown up on my FB feed, for instance, defending Brad Pitt and being so sympathetic to how that evil Angeline has turned all his children against him.  That's just the most recent example.  I still shudder when I remember all the fans going insane over Johnny Depp a year or two ago.  

I suspect Brad has dropped some serious cash in order to spin this story.  

• Like 7
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I think for a lot of women if they can't have the law help them they want to be heard.  Yes it's terrible the law can't deal with Diddy for what he did to Cassie but at least now the world now can see what he did to her.

Any time I hear an actress suddenly being denigrated by "insiders" I now think OK she must have rejected someone. It might not be true but after hearing about Sean Young and Mira Sorvino it makes me wonder.

14 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Oh of course! I guess it’s wishful thinking on my part to want the industry to get safer after so many years of all this horrific stuff going on. I have worked with some sleazy guys, but I’m grateful not to be in Hollywood.

It is sad how quickly people are willing to jump to the guy's defense. Whether their rich and famous or celebrity or a normal boy or man. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3
(edited)

In news about addressing harassment; in the UK there's an effort to create an independent watchdog group for the entertainment industry.

Two articles about a recent open letter to raise awareness and funds:

https://deadline.com/2024/06/ciisa-keira-knightley-emerald-fennell-gemma-chan-funding-1235959369/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/keira-knightley-cara-delevingne-industry-harassment-uk-letter-1235915519/

Edited by Trini
dropped word, gah!
  • Like 1
  • Useful 6
On 6/5/2024 at 11:32 AM, RealHousewife said:

I really hope the entertainment industry will be safer someday.

It never will be.   Because its about power.    Power tends to corrupt and absolute power tends to corrupt absolutely.   

CBS/Paramount was a cesspool because the top guy - Les Moonves was doing all the things too.  

Weinstein was a big producer so he had power over careers.    

As long as a select few decide who gets to be stars and who doesn't abuses will happen.   You can remove individual people but they will only be replaced by others with power.   

Throw in the money angle -- it costs a LOT to make a movie.  You going to shut down production because the director got handsy with the assistant to the assistant costumer?   Along with Director A delivered a blockbuster for us, he can do it again, but not if we refuse to sign  him because of the allegations against him.   

Hollywood cannot be fixed, it can only be mitigated.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3

I do wonder if the whole ME TOO movement has opened the eyes of aspiring talent. There's the magic of Hollywood and the reality. I wonder if the number of actors and other below the line personalities has shrunk in recent years. As much as the fight against AI rages, it may be needed as people realize what a cesspool the industry is.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I somewhat had the feeling that the allegations were going to turn out to be something along the lines of Brand being an obnoxious, boundary-trashing creep  AND complaints being pooh-poohed with the canard of 'that's just his way' .

It's not unlike when Jack Nicholson allegedly smashed in a total stranger's windshield with a golf club (in 1994) when the two got into a disagreement about the latter cutting off Mr. Nicholson and at least one of Nicholson's chums shrugged it off with 'that's just his way'!

BALDERDASH and a hearty BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! to the alleged crimes and reactions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

Maybe, just maybe, if we stop saying "oh that's just his way" and told them to knock it of they would.   Shrugging it off lets them know its okay.   

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
On 6/15/2024 at 12:40 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Because "boys will boys".

Piss on that, how about behaving like a goddamned human being?

Why is it “boys will be boys” translates to something like “go easy on them” while a saying like “women will be women” is just “bitches be crazy”?!

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 15
(edited)
16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Why is it “boys will be boys” translates to something like “go easy on them” while a saying like “women will be women” is just “bitches be crazy”?!

16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Let's not forget locker room talk.  Men talking about assaulting women is just banter.  

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Like 12
  • Sad 2
21 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Let's not forget locker room talk.  Men talking about assaulting women is just banter.  

And then some lose their minds, when we respond to a hypothetical, with “how could you choose the bear?!” 

• Like 11
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I am so grateful for the safe environment I'm in now. 

I'm glad you found a better place. No one should be made to feel uncomfortable when they are just trying to do their job. 

I was about to say I've been lucky that I've not experienced something like that at work, and then I thought, it is so wrong that it would be considered "lucky" rather than normal that I haven't experienced sexual harassment at work. Ugh, this world.

• Like 16
(edited)
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Women are often bullied into accepting conversations and situations that make us uncomfortable, but when an assault happens it's "what were you thinking?! You went to his room? You wore that?"

That's the entire gist of The Gift of Fear. When your gut instinct is creeped out, trust your gut, not the social training that forces you to make nice with the person. It's really changed the way I interact with men who are creeping me out, and it's one of my soapbox topics for all my female relatives, friends, and coworkers.

Edited by Zella
  • Like 19

https://ew.com/jonathan-majors-addresses-assault-conviction-in-acceptance-speech-8667787

There is so much about this speech that bothers me.

He acknowledges he has "shortcomings".  Or what I call beating up women.

And this:

"I reckon folks want to know about this last year. As a Black man in the criminal justice system, I felt anger. I felt sadness, hurt, surprise. When they snatched me up out of my apartment in handcuffs, I didn't feel like all that," Majors said while standing onstage at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. "I didn't feel like Jonathan Majors. Mr. Creed. Mr. Kang… I felt like a little scared, weak boy, despite the support and the evidence that was in my favor. I knew s--- was bad. It was bad because of who I was and what I am."

You mean an abuser?

• Like 4
  • Applause 13

https://ew.com/jonathan-majors-addresses-assault-conviction-in-acceptance-speech-8667787

There is so much about this speech that bothers me.

He acknowledges he has "shortcomings".  Or what I call beating up women.

And this:

"I reckon folks want to know about this last year. As a Black man in the criminal justice system, I felt anger. I felt sadness, hurt, surprise. When they snatched me up out of my apartment in handcuffs, I didn't feel like all that," Majors said while standing onstage at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles. "I didn't feel like Jonathan Majors. Mr. Creed. Mr. Kang… I felt like a little scared, weak boy, despite the support and the evidence that was in my favor. I knew s--- was bad. It was bad because of who I was and what I am."

You mean an abuser?

An abuser and a coward using his actor status for sympathy. Arrogant as hell and he wins an award!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 3

Here is another story about Majors accepting his award. Who knew he had so many celeb supporters?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/jonathan-majors-perseverance-award-stars-support-1235929809/

He also spoke for the first time about the A-listers who have supported him in private, revealing, “the midnight text from my brother Will Smith, letting the homie know, ‘Hey I’m thinking about you man.’ Tyler Perry breathed life into me, just supporting and loving on people the way he does. David Oyelowo and his whole group of threads — I think maybe some of y’all are on that thread, I don’t participate because it’s crazy but I feel the love. Deon and Roxanne Taylor, who gave me a production office when I was walking through the desert feeling lost and crazy, put a battery in my back, as he says. Courtney B. Vance has been with me from Lovecraft Country, my Uncle George forever. Whoopi Goldberg fed me and [girlfriend] Meagan [Good] one day, we weren’t hungry but was over there hanging out and she breathed this light of wisdom and understanding and caring onto me and my queen. It was Whoopi who allowed us to understand the support of community.

• Sad 5
  • Angry 5
10 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Here is another story about Majors accepting his award. Who knew he had so many celeb supporters?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/lifestyle-news/jonathan-majors-perseverance-award-stars-support-1235929809/

He also spoke for the first time about the A-listers who have supported him in private, revealing, “the midnight text from my brother Will Smith, letting the homie know, ‘Hey I’m thinking about you man.’ Tyler Perry breathed life into me, just supporting and loving on people the way he does. David Oyelowo and his whole group of threads — I think maybe some of y’all are on that thread, I don’t participate because it’s crazy but I feel the love. Deon and Roxanne Taylor, who gave me a production office when I was walking through the desert feeling lost and crazy, put a battery in my back, as he says. Courtney B. Vance has been with me from Lovecraft Country, my Uncle George forever. Whoopi Goldberg fed me and [girlfriend] Meagan [Good] one day, we weren’t hungry but was over there hanging out and she breathed this light of wisdom and understanding and caring onto me and my queen. It was Whoopi who allowed us to understand the support of community.

How nice the abuser has so many supporters. 

• Sad 4