Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: All Sales Final

Aulty

A lot of really funny moments in this episode. Dina's "... because I'm a racist! I should probably work on that!" and Sandra's pen drop were hilarious, but the second pen drop had me rolling. Glenn bear-hugging the customer and customer's tiny-voiced, "unnhh coronavirus ... " Also Dina's interview hair and the genesis of her Glenn hatred.

The raccoons leaving made me surprisingly and stupidly emotional.

15 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

Got a little dusty here at the end. I was half expecting Garret to stand up and walk away at the end

Haha. When he came back to make a more serious closing announcement and started with "you know what?" for half a second I expected him to bust out a British accent and then stand up and walk away.

15 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

Elias is a serial killer? Was Dina pregnant?

I prefer to think Elias has a second job as a medical school janitor and picks up a foot from the research corpses now and then. I thought Dina looked a little pregnant too at the cookout but that they purposely left it ambiguous. I'm going to imagine her as pregnant and newly married to Garrett.

It was a really good finale, even though it did feel a bit rushed. Cynical me expects that any spinoff will be shown on the Peacock streaming service only.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 9

What's really sad is to read the interviews from the cast and producers who reveal they were expecting to go a few more seasons. NBC clearly made an unexpected decision (at least to the cast and crew) to cancel the show (as well as shorten the finale season). I think 6 years is a good number to stop at as I think most scripted shows should only go 5-7 seasons, but I think it could have managed another couple of seasons

TVLine talks with the producers on the finale's flash forward and how it came about https://tvline.com/2021/03/25/superstore-recap-series-finale-flash-forward-explained/

Edited by DanaK
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

I agree that it was a good finale, especially since they had to pull it together relatively quickly.  Having been through a work downsizing where I was lucky to get sent to another location which ended up closing also after a couple more years, some of the moments cut a little close to home and made me tear up in a good way. 

I was glad so many people got their moments in the last two episodes and although some good characters were missed, I learned enough about what happened to be content.  Sandra was always my favorite and I am really happy she landed on her feet both professionally and personally.  

I will miss this show very much - through all its ups and downs, it was a constant for me to turn to when I needed a smile.  I enjoyed taking the journey with all the characters and all of you posters as well.  May we meet again in other forums.

One question that is nagging at my brain though - wasn't there a throwaway line in a previous episode about Elias being related to Jerusha somehow?  I seem to remember Glenn saying that was why he could never fire him.  Ring any bells with anyone else?  

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

One question that is nagging at my brain though - wasn't there a throwaway line in a previous episode about Elias being related to Jerusha somehow?  I seem to remember Glenn saying that was why he could never fire him.  Ring any bells with anyone else?  

Yes, Elias is Jerusha's brother. I remember Glenn saying something about how he couldn't fire Elias because he was his brother-in-law and it would upset Jerusha.

• Useful 7
  • Love 4

That was a really well done series finale. Considering they didn't have much notice it was especially well done.

I haven't watched since last season but nice to see Amy came back in the end. And that it wasn't just a small cameo at the end of the ep. 

Loved the flash forward. So happy for Jonah being a city council man. And that they all stayed friends. 

Edited by backhometome
  • Love 5

Like most of you I really enjoyed the finale and am delighted not to be disappointed.  They even brought back Jerry for another happy moment with Sandra.

I really hope these core actors go on to good things.  They did some great work on this show and I hope it is rewarded.

It made sense to me that Dina would opt for FC employees who do not need customer interaction to thrive and who can take orders.  I did wish that Sayid would be in the mix, but perhaps physically it would not work well for him.  My thought is that Garrett goes to work at an electronics big box store.  Glenn's hardware store could work in an area that bigger stores have left behind as unprofitable.  I'm sure they won't make big money, but that would matter least to Glenn.  I picture Mateo and Cheyenne giving interior design suggestions - lamps, paint, wainscoting, decorative drawer pulls.

I never for a second thought they would explain the severed feet, and I laughed so hard at that.

• Love 9

I'm sure a lot of viewers felt like they didn't want Covid storylines in their shows after the year we just had, but for some shows, like Superstore and medical shows, it's timely, important and it works. Given Superstore's focus on frontline workers, it made sense to include Covid storylines and for the most part, I think they did a great and funny job with it, and very relatable, especially with things like hoarding toilet paper

• Love 18

Awwwww, that was just about a perfect finale for the show.  I even teared up a little at the end.  Plus, some of it was just so damned funny.

15 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

My favorite was the moment Glenn became Dina’s enemy.

Yep, you could see it in Dina's eyes.  That was terrific.

12 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Sandra was just awesome. I loved the NCIS Gibbs like "Ya Think?!" when Amy was saying that she might have made a mistake not marrying Jonah at the time, 

I loved Sandra taking the marker, circle the names, and telling Dina she was her new assistant manager, then doing the mic crop with the marker.  And then, for a moment, retreating to her normal self-effacing behavior with the "If that's alright with you" line.

9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

There are still the big chain hardware stores like Home Depot and Ace, with huge selection and low prices. The only way a small store like Sturgis & Sons can stick around is if it builds a reputation for knowledgeable salespeople, and neither Glenn, Mateo, or Cheyenne seem to be home improvement experts. I don't mean to be a downer since of course I want all the characters to have a happy ending, it just seems unrealistic in this case.

Maybe they can find a niche in the market that isn't served by the big places.  Especially if the store's located in an under-served neighborhood.

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, Trillium said:

No, Future Dina was not pregnant. Been there Lauren...ugh. 

8BEF32D9-7C60-4BA3-A819-98BD521D9948.jpeg

I hope someone tweeted back that it was just the style of the top and she looked lovely in it.  Plus, we were kinda hoping.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Given Superstore's focus on frontline workers, it made sense to include Covid storylines and for the most part, I think they did a great and funny job with it, and very relatable, especially with things like hoarding toilet paper

I loved Jonah's line about how they were out there working in a pandemic when everybody else was staying home except for when they "come [there] to cough."

• LOL 4
  • Love 15

Excellent way to end the series.  It didn't bother me that Jonah & Amy got back together.  They actually made it work.

Thank you for six wonderful seasons.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I hope someone tweeted back that it was just the style of the top and she looked lovely in it.  Plus, we were kinda hoping.

People did but it’s still hard to hear people thought you looked pregnant. It was pretty relentless and she actually responded she was not doing well mentally with the bombardment of questions about her looks. Especially since I’m sure it’s not an easy day for her either. I don’t think anyone meant any ill and were excited about the possibility of Dina/Garret babies.  It’s  important to know she’s a real person and like most women, has complained feelings about her body. Most women have worn a top that have gotten questions and it never feels great. Comments (even positive ones) about your body can be hard.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The real head scratcher was that she could only bring five people.  I'd think she'd need more than that--not that all would be suitable for the job or want it.

They said Zephra was bringing in most of the staff and allowed her to keep 5 of her own. That seems typical, from what I understand of corporate re-organizing. 

• Love 4

I think we've reached a point where finales that end with a flash forward to show where everyone winds up in the future are overdone and I'm not sure this kind of show was quite right for that kind of sentimentality, but I did enjoy it. I can envision an alternate ending where everyone just loses their job and the store closes but I guess they just wanted to do something a bit more saccharine. I'll forgive it. I do think it's a stretch that Carol would be at the barbecue, though. Sure, Glenn's a softie, but why would SHE want to attend? I guess she's always crazy. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I think we've reached a point where finales that end with a flash forward to show where everyone winds up in the future are overdone and I'm not sure this kind of show was quite right for that kind of sentimentality, but I did enjoy it. I can envision an alternate ending where everyone just loses their job and the store closes but I guess they just wanted to do something a bit more saccharine. I'll forgive it. I do think it's a stretch that Carol would be at the barbecue, though. Sure, Glenn's a softie, but why would SHE want to attend? I guess she's always crazy. 

The store did basically close and almost everyone lost their job. 

I think that's part of why this worked.  It wasn't all happy endings at work or some miraculous 11th hour save.  It was a realistic ending for the store.  But for the employees life goes on and they all still have great memories of their time together and remain friends.  

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

People did but it’s still hard to hear people thought you looked pregnant. It was pretty relentless and she actually responded she was not doing well mentally with the bombardment of questions about her looks. Especially since I’m sure it’s not an easy day for her either. I don’t think anyone meant any ill and were excited about the possibility of Dina/Garret babies.  It’s  important to know she’s a real person and like most women, has complained feelings about her body. Most women have worn a top that have gotten questions and it never feels great. Comments (even positive ones) about your body can be hard.

I’d like this 100 times if I could. She’s replied to a couple of tweets about her body today. 😞

• Love 6

The only thing missing that would have made it 100% perfection is for Dina's birds to have returned. 

Yes! I was kind of hoping against hope for that too.

The store did basically close and almost everyone lost their job. 

I think that's part of why this worked.  It wasn't all happy endings at work or some miraculous 11th hour save.  It was a realistic ending for the store.  But for the employees life goes on and they all still have great memories of their time together and remain friends.  

Well yes, what I mean is that we didn't necessarily need the flash forward segment. Don't get me wrong, I'm sentimental enough to have enjoyed it, but it's kind of been done to death and I wouldn't have minded something a little bit more edgy and original.

• Love 1

Lovely show

Lovely ending!

I am so very, very sorry that Lauren Ash is dealing with body image stuff.  I am 75 and I was skinny as a rail and no bust to speak of and was convinced that no one, Ever would like me or ...whatever.  What your body is is almost completely irrelevant.  We still are our own worst critics and I truly don't understand how we get there.

Stay strong Lauren and know you are never alone!

• Love 14

As bad as they wrote Amy out of the show ..... they more than made up for it to bring her back.  I really, really loved what she said to Jonah at the end.  

Lots of great moments but my fave may have been Sandra circling the names and putting A.M next to hers.  After all the shit she's taken it is so good to see Sandra owning it!! Oh and her absolute disgust at Amy's admission that she made a mistake not marrying Jonah... all hail Queen Sandra!

• Love 18

I was wishing that they wouldn’t put Jonah and Amy back together at the end, but I have to admit they did a wonderful job of it. The way it ended with everyone happy really worked when it easily could’ve been way too saccharine. You certainly have a sense that the cast enjoyed their time together. And I’m glad it ended with Garrett’s announcement. Fitting tribute. 

Elias, no!

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, possibilities said:

A few times it's been mentioned that the stars on the ceiling was a callback, but I don't remember what it was referencing. Can anyone remind me?

IIRC this goes back to a conversation Amy and Jonah had in the first episode when he talks about finding beauty everywhere/in everything or something which she kind of rolls her eyes at and says that's hard for her to do when all her days are basically the same and she marks time by the seasonal decorations like the glow-in-the dark stars that she has to change out. He surprises her at the end of the episode by secretly sticking a bunch of the stars on the ceiling.

I think there were a few other callbacks, like when Amy notices but decides not to bother stopping a kid pooping in one of the aisles. Also, I assume Mateo was referring to Jonah when he mentioned during his interview seeing a Scott Baio lookalike & probable meth user hanging around outside. I remember him treating Jonah like a rival in the early episodes because they started at the same time.

I loved the finale and am happy with the peeks into the various characters' futures, though I have a hard time believing Dina would keep Marcus on. But whatever, it was lovely overall.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She did consider Jonah when talking to Amy.  She said he was smart but she wasn't even sure if he was going to stick around.

The real head scratcher was that she could only bring five people.  I'd think she'd need more than that--not that all would be suitable for the job or want it.

This was pretty true to life though. The whole FC crew was basically already hired before the store even knew they were closing and in all reality, there's NO way Dina would have been given the management position. She's never worked in a FC. Pseudo store security and floor manager or whatever her position was don't really scream same skill set. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think we've reached a point where finales that end with a flash forward to show where everyone winds up in the future are overdone 

Especially since the inevitable reboot five or 10 years from now will shit on the finale and retcon everything established in the finale (looking at you "Will & Grace," "Roseanne"/"The Conners").

I think there were a few other callbacks, like when Amy notices but decides not to bother stopping a kid pooping in one of the aisles.

Also, I think the name tag she was wearing was the same one she wore in the pilot. It was "Evangeline" or something similar.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Also, I think the name tag she was wearing was the same one she wore in the pilot. It was "Evangeline" or something similar.

I rewatched the pilot so I can remember the glowing stars and she was wearing the name badge of Ramona when she first meets Jonah. I don't know if she had other for the rest of the episode.

• Love 2

I went to Walmart today, and the young guy manning the exit had a badge with the name Jonah. I wanted to ask him if it was a joke. 
I loved the finale. I always liked Jonah and Amy as a couple, and I was happy about the ending.

• Love 11

That was an amazing season finale. Probably one of the best I've seen in a long time.

It was reminiscent of the past, showed the future and tied it all together with the store closing announcement.

• Love 8

For people wondering where Jonah and Amy ended up geographically: they are still in St. Louis. I rewatched the finale and at least one of his campaign posters has the St. Louis Arch on it. Makes sense. You typically need to establish a presence in a community to run for office.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/26/2021 at 7:44 PM, Fostersmom said:

This was pretty true to life though. The whole FC crew was basically already hired before the store even knew they were closing and in all reality, there's NO way Dina would have been given the management position. She's never worked in a FC. Pseudo store security and floor manager or whatever her position was don't really scream same skill set. 

She'd become co-store manager and always handled a lot of logistics, employee management and such - she'd know a lot relevant to FCs, I think, from her long time in the industry at large. As Amy noted, once an executive you generally get to stay an executive, and that's true for managers as well. Corporations often view executive/management skills as fungible and so don't always insist on direct specific experience. Plus Dina knows some people, like Jeff, and maybe that helped.

• Love 6
On 3/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, tennisgurl said:

I noticed watching the last episode again that Glenn’s store has a picture of Myrtle up. Such a perfect touch. 

I think this says a lot about the producers and people in charge.  Myrtle's picture really did fit Glenn's character, but no one would have noticed had it not been there.  The show made a conscious decision to include a beloved cast member in the finale (both with Myrtle's picture and also including her in the flashback scenes of everyone having fun in the store) for no purpose other than to honor her memory.  Good people.

• Love 19

I skipped this season but then just finished binging all 6 seasons on Peacock.  One thing I loved about this show always, but is so much more obvious when you binge, is how good they were at continuity.  The racoons, Sandra’s memory, the feet, etc etc.  I loved that Sandra’s great - but short- temper flares showed up in the first or second ep of this season when she overhears the breakup...and then in this episode where she gets pissed at Amy again.  And I really loved that Elias was the serial killer/foot guy all along (at least that’s how i interpreted it).  

ETA - I would have liked if Glenn had made i something like Sturgis and Rose or something like that...Sturgis and daughter...I don't know. 

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 7
On 3/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, nilyank said:

she was wearing the name badge of Ramona when she first meets Jonah

I was wondering that as well so glad to know. It would've been a good callback. 

Don't remember seeing Tony (Sandra's son) in the episode but I'm not bothered. I'd rather see the other established characters.

I imagine Sturgis and Sons will serve that hipster crowd that like to support niche local businesses and Cheyenne/Mateo are good to interact with that grouping. 

One callback I noticed was the woman asking Jonah/Amy about some medicine. She was there in the pilot too, asking the same type of question.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xander874 said:

Don't remember seeing Tony (Sandra's son) in the episode but I'm not bothered. I'd rather see the other established characters.

He was at the cookout, part of the crowd shot as the camera panned. (I don't remember anything different about him to infer an updated situation, though.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, Trillium said:

No, Future Dina was not pregnant. Been there Lauren...ugh. 

8BEF32D9-7C60-4BA3-A819-98BD521D9948.jpeg

LOL. Poor Lauren, but that was a funny response.

I'm sure a lot of viewers felt like they didn't want Covid storylines in their shows after the year we just had, but for some shows, like Superstore and medical shows, it's timely, important and it works. Given Superstore's focus on frontline workers, it made sense to include Covid storylines and for the most part, I think they did a great and funny job with it, and very relatable, especially with things like hoarding toilet paper

I loved Jonah's random speech to the news reporter. "You're all in your homes, except when you come here to cough." This show was great at pointing out the awful things customers do in stores in their little details.

As bad as they wrote Amy out of the show ..... they more than made up for it to bring her back.  I really, really loved what she said to Jonah at the end.  

Agreed. The Jonah/Amy relationship didn't work for me when she got up to the manager level and it made both of their characters worse somehow, but they nailed the reunion. It didn't feel contrived and it was really nice to hear Amy say something genuinely nice to Jonah that would change his mind about their relationship.

This was such a lovely series finale, I'm sorry to see it end. They were really coming back to life after sending Amy away, it felt like the kind of show that gets better when the lead leaves, like A Different World. All of the characters seemed reinvigorated once the attention was divided across more people instead of so much focus on the Amy/Jonah stuff. Cancellation might have been a bit short-sighted on the network's part.

Meanwhile, shows like The Goldbergs that are running on fumes and all of the characters have become ridiculous caricatures seem poised to continue on indefinitely. 

• Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 3:33 PM, Trillium said:

Oh man, that does suck.

• Love 2

That was a nice ending with some great touches like the Raccoons packing it up and going to find a new home.

Very happy with the flashforward seeing happy endings (though I was confused if Amy's executive job was back in St. Louis as Jonah was clearly running for office there)

Hope the Sayeed actor is okay. He looked very frail and it made me wonder if he had been ill explaining his recent abcenses.

Happy that Carol did not come out better than anyone else.

Suprised Amy had another kid just when her executive career was taking off. Oh well, guess they wanted to do something nice for Jonah.

The series ends but the credit for Marcus still mystifies me. He always got Guest Star billing but it seemed like he would have been lumped in to the Co-Starring credit with  Justine and Carol. I guess its because he got more lines. I've always been a "credits nerd" so I always pay attention to how people are billed. There was a dark time twenty years or so ago where all the networks reduced everyones credits to an unreadable scroll so they could promote commericals/other shows on the right hand side. I hated, hated that and I figure actor's unions must have finally  protested this obnoxious way closing credits are handled.

I wasn't really behind a Cheyenne spin off because of Bo starring too but I would have gone along with it just for the guest appearances of our beloved characters.

But I digress.

This was the only sit-com I watched anymore because it had a charm to it. I will really miss it.

And again...the Flashforward was awesome (loved how Glenn  had Myrtles picture hanging in his revived hardware store. Nice tribute) and the happy picnic at the end were they brought back everyone, major and minor (accept Jeff but that would have been awkward) was just a wonderful way to wrap it all up!

• Love 5

Just finished watching the last few episodes. I had been saving & savoring them knowing it was over. Great finale. How can shows like the Goldbergs keep getting renewed but wonderful shows like this one are cancelled? I’m so sad. This was one of my favorites in forever. I am surprised at how much it has touched me & how genuinely sad I am to see it go. I may have to start watching the series all over again if it’s streaming somewhere.  Garrett, Dina & Glenn were my favorites.  Not a fan of Amy & I wish Jonah would have found love with someone  more deserving. He is too good for her. 
I will miss this show tremendously. Just perfect performances by everyone. I feel like I lost a good friend. 😞. Is there any Superstore merch out there? I’d love to get a remembrance. 

• Love 2