Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Judges Decide

• Start Topic

I would have thought Tom Ford, Urban Decay, NARS, Tarte, Smashbox, or Clinique would have all been good candidates, but the problem there might be that they don't want to sponsor makeup if their co-sponsors are Red Robin, and potentially Belk.

Oh, good Lord. Not Tom Ford. That stuff is crazy expensive. NARS also seems a bit too high end. I'm not sure what the ratings are but in its heyday I think they might have been able to get Urban Decay or Tarte but those brands seem to be doing well for themselves and they're smart enough to court bloggers and find more effective ways of advertising and building brand loyalty. Urban Decay would have been great because it's a mid-range brand that has a big color selection. Between the drugstore brands and the high-end professional or costume makeup it's one of the only brands that really caters to a wide range of tastes whereas Clinique is a bit safe and boring.

• Love 1

Oh, good Lord. Not Tom Ford. That stuff is crazy expensive. NARS also seems a bit too high end. I'm not sure what the ratings are but in its heyday I think they might have been able to get Urban Decay or Tarte but those brands seem to be doing well for themselves and they're smart enough to court bloggers and find more effective ways of advertising and building brand loyalty. Urban Decay would have been great because it's a mid-range brand that has a big color selection. Between the drugstore brands and the high-end professional or costume makeup it's one of the only brands that really caters to a wide range of tastes whereas Clinique is a bit safe and boring.

Tom Ford is pretty spendy, but PR used to seem to be all about aspiration and dreams and what not, but I suppose your right, its probably better to use brands that are aspirational, but doable.  I felt like BlueFly was also a little on the spendy side....at least when I went to check out their accessories.  You're right, Urban Decay would have been a good brand....I vaguely remember Smashbox being involved in something, although between RuPauls Drag Race, Fashion Show, Project Runway, and PR: All Stars it could have been on any of those shows.  Maybe Stila too, or Make Up Forever....but Urban Decay would have been a nice fit....I think that Clinique is nice, but you're right, they may not have enough color options.

For selfish reasons, I'd like to see how the models look in assembly line Bare Essentials.  I'm almost convinced by the infomercial but concerned that it's sold by the gram like coke.  Seems too complicated.

@candall,

Maybelline Mineral Power foundation powder is just as good as the BE, and a lot cheaper. I used the BE basic "trio" for about 8 years (I'm 47 now):foundation powder, mineral veil and blush. When I ran out of the foundation, I switched to the Maybelline & never looked back.  Looks exactly the same on me.  I'm a very low-maintenance makeup gal, so I would never do it if it was complicated.   

Part of me wants a more even skin tone and part of doesn't really care. I used to like L'Oreal's liquid foundation but it's too much to bother with and I always felt like I was buying the wrong shade. Now I mainly wear makeup for color or to moisturize. That's why I think they need a sponsor with a good color range. Fashion makeup should be about bold and interesting eye makeup looks and lip colors. Not just nude lips and eyes all the time. Though that is a look.

I got Sandhya's dress, more or less, I think.  It reminded me of a couple of dresses from Galliano of long ago that I remember loving; it was obviously a lot less beautiful, but for a one-day version it was OK.  The zippers I did not understand.  I do think her win is part of a part of PR that's been there from the very first episode: weird is better than boring.  And I think that's the saving grace of the show, personally.  I am totally in Heidi's camp on this one.

Agreed, especially about it being the saving grace of the show.  I could have done with a great deal less of "the stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone" but that has always been part of the show.

•an opportunity to design a fashion accessory for Red Robin servers

Red Fucking Robin?  Sheesh. This is  something that would have been an episode challenge in previous seasons, not a grand prize for winning the whole shebang.  The Post Office challenge from season one, for example, just to name one favorite.

• Love 1

I'm watching the first runway again while I wait for the new episode.

Man, there were about twelve outfits they could have put in the bottom, for any number of reasons similar to the ones the judges gave, and it would've been equally plausible.

The designer so pleased with her black jersey jumpsuit.  Yes, loved it, but spring fashion collection?  No.

The long blue dress with the plaid corset?  Wtf?

Nina complained about the very fresh and spring-y shorts and yellow top:  "But it's just shorts and a t-shirt!"  Is there some outfit you couldn't sum up as "Just a ________________"? Pants, dress, shorts. . .no one's going to invent a new kind of body covering.  (And that wasn't a t-shirt either, Nina, you bitch.)

"Oh, look, I didn't even know my design had futuristic elements!"

Electric orange jumpsuit with palazzo pants?  I wore that to my prom in the '70's and I was way cool because ruffles were the style then (on both sexes, hahahaha.)

"My colors are so good!"  Honey, that's 90% beige, with a couple strips of green.

Sandhya could've won, could've gone home.  Coin flip.

Whew.  Got that off my chest.  I'm cleansed and ready for the next one.

• Love 1

My mom and I watched together, and here were a few of our reactions when the models came down the runway:

Char - WTF is that opened yellow parachute doing on her model?

Angela - we loved her pants - Tim's snark about getting a Brazillian made us wonder if he really knew where a vagaina was located.  Don't think many women would have hair growing where those slits were.

Jefferson - we thought it was really cute and unusual (until the model turned around to show her buns).

Korina - Come on, we've seen that look a million times.  We noted how ill-fitting it was and perfectly boring.

Mitchell - Sloppy, over-simplified, juvenile  It looked like a toddler's outfit from Kmart.

Sandhya - we like her lots, but hated her dress.

We are obviously not fashionistas!

• Love 2

I was really hoping Nzinga would make it. I'm not Muslim, but being Mormon I do appreciate modesty and want to see more modest fashion. Stylish dresses that have sleeves, aren't backless or frontless, and cover most of my legs are pretty difficult to find!