Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Judges Decide

• Start Topic

Faith somewhat restored, I mostly enjoyed the show.  Ninety minutes should be okay with this many contestants, but they waste too much of it on irrelevant crap, when I want to see more work in the workroom and more personality from the non-bitchy designers. Biggest downside --  I'm so sad that it seems I'll never be able to see Tim Gunn the same way after the disaster of Under the Gunn.  How I wish I could un-see that fiasco!

@Calamity Jane,

I feel the same way.  Letting Tim back into my heart is going to be a slow rebuilding process, but I will TRY to not let that bizarre and misguided "experiment" color my here & now...It's a new show and a new opportunity for him to shine.....*sigh*....breathe....letting the bad juju goooooooooo

I agree - I'm hoping its a slow process, because I found myself rolling my eyes at Tim yesterday and thinking that this Tim, the nice and supportive Tim was really fake, and the real Tim was the one I saw on Under the Gunn.  I do think him trying to stand up against the bullying is going to be him looking for redemption, but I think for me, its just going to remind me of what a jerk he was on Under the Gunn.

• Love 2

The hemline didn't match on the bottom

Thank you for noticing that. The sides not matching didn't make any sense to me. Maybe she's making a statement with that dress, but without a story or a collection with a similar theme, it's difficult to tell. Her audition pieces were not shabby chic, so I'm confused about her perspective. 

(edited)

I'm really afraid that this will be a repeat of the Gretchen season.  You've already got the "mean girls" and the "bullying victim".  If Korina wins, that'll put the nail in the coffin that is PR.

Or last season when Alexandria was the resident punching bag. Mean girls have won two seasons in a row, but I hope that trend ends this year. 

I think Sandhya is going to be this year's Patricia Michaels - strong POV heavily influenced by her ethnic background, a background that for some reason seems to be completely out of the scope of the judges, so they find it impressively new and interesting.

I think that Dom benefited from this as well. Many of her heinous designs slid by or were met with praise because they were considered fresh and interesting to the judges.

Amanda did a great job in construction (esp given the time constraint) but it wasn't exactly new or interesting.

The other designer who made the all black outfit should have been called out on it, as well.

None of the looks were really new, and I don't hold that against the designers. The judges go on and on about innovation, but fashion is mostly just variations on a theme. And I think that black is fine for a spring collection. Contrary to what Nina says, there are a number of successful designers (such as Rick Owens) who never use much color. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 2

Had a little time so I re-watched to get the prize details

This season we have a big prize package and it is worth over 300,000 dollars. The winner of Project Runway will receive:

• 100,000 dollars from Red Robin to launch their business
  • an opportunity to design a fashion accessory for Red Robin servers
  • a shoe and accessory collection from Aldo to help enhance their upcoming runway shows
  • a premier home entertainment system courtesy of Samsung
  • from Mary Kay an entire year's worth of beauty products for their fashion shows and professional makeup artist services for their debut show
  • a complete sewing and crafting studio from Brother Sewing and Embroidery
  • a 2015 Lexus NXF Sport
  • travel and hotel accommodations to fashion capitals and inspiring locations around the world from Best Western International
  • the winning designer and the winning model will receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine

I may be mixing up original Runway and All Stars but I think they are missing the office technology package and opportunity to create a collection for a particular store or brand. 

• Love 1

I think that Dom benefited from this as well. Many of her heinous designs slid by or were met with praise because they were considered fresh and interesting to the judges.

Which to me was crazy, because she kept doing the same, multi-spaghetti-strapped, floaty, asymmetrical dress over & over & over.  Hernan's floral dress could have been Dom's.   Helen was just as bad with using the same shredded edge that Sandhya used, over & over & over. 

• Love 1
the winning designer and the winning model will receive a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine

This has been one of the prizes for a while, right?  I only flip through the magazine when at my hair dresser's...has anyone seen the fashion spreads of the previous winners?   I'm curious how those end up turning out.

• Love 1

•an opportunity to design a fashion accessory for Red Robin servers

For real? That's actually a prize? LMAO okay then, this show really has sold it's soul.

Re: the fashions. Not much really wowed me. I'd wear Nini's (the Hawaiian dude?) dress because it was pretty and wearable. I hate crop tops so both Char and Amanda's tops ruined pretty good bottoms for me. Though it bugged me that Amanda's pants were triangle shapes and not diamonds. It's like when a cheap knock off company knocks off designer clothes and don't bother to follow the design all the way to the back. IDK didn't work for me.

I LOVED German guys dress. That was my favorite. Hmm, least favorite, yeah, the judges got it right for me. Jefferson's proportions were just sooo wrong. Top could have been cute but too short. But at least, unlike Char's, one good breeze wasn't going to be showing off the girls. And those shorts would have been better as 40s style trousers.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Tim thinks pubes grown on a woman's hip. I know he's a gay man so possibly not all that familiar with the female body but last I checked, I didn't have to trim anything to expose my hip bone. (I am glad I didn't watch Under the Gunn based on what some of you are saying.)

I am not looking forward to the bullying. I can see it already which means I won't be watching this live so I can FF over pretty much everything Shorty McShort Shorts and Irina 2.0 have to say.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know if I object to the Red Robin thing as much as all that. It's not couture, but most folks only have access to a very small range of corporate-accepted fashion, and I have to think that a fast-food chain adopting something vaguely fashion forward would affect what the folks who stock, say, Sears or Walmart will be willing to take a chance on.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Although, I did have a crazy image of all the Red Robin staff wearing one of those sashes like Girl Scouts wear.  "Hi, I'm Kimberly and I'll be your server today.  If I provide you with EXCELLENT service, I get my custom-designed "Fashion Badge" by the winner of Project Runway!  Can I start you out with some drinks?" 

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh god, it's the return of flair.

I'm not ready for the nineties to come back. I'm still too traumatized by the return of the seventies and eighties.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

Had a little time so I re-watched to get the prize details

I may be mixing up original Runway and All Stars but I think they are missing the office technology package and opportunity to create a collection for a particular store or brand. 

I couldn't quote the entire list, but I know we'll spend precious minutes of our lives every episode from now on listening to Heidi go through it in excruciating detail. The HP tech package has been replaced by a big Samsung refrigerator and Red Robin burgers to fill it. 

• Love 2

Which to me was crazy, because she kept doing the same, multi-spaghetti-strapped, floaty, asymmetrical dress over & over & over.  Hernan's floral dress could have been Dom's.   Helen was just as bad with using the same shredded edge that Sandhya used, over & over & over. 

UGH. Do not bring up Helen. Another pretentious bore that I never want to see on my screen again. Same goes for Dom (still mad Justin lost to her ugly prints). 

• Love 4
(edited)

The thing with the Lexus is that I think it's actually a 1-year lease, they don't actually buy you the car outright.  I remember that from "Under the Gunn", as that was what the Mentor winner, Nick Verros "won".  He blogged about having to turn it down because the 1-year lease wasn't worth the hassle and expense of finding a place to park it.

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

The thing with the Lexus is that I think it's actually a 1-year lease, they don't actually buy you the car outright.  I remember that from "Under the Gunn", as that was what the Mentor winner, Nick Verros "won".  He blogged about having to turn it down because the 1-year lease wasn't worth the hassle and expense of finding a place to park it.

But with "Under The Gunn" they switched from saying the prizes included "a car" to saying the prizes included "the use of a car," which made me go "huh?" at the time. I didn't catch how they described the car prize this time, but someone (the legal team?) made them change the description on UTG when the prize morphed from a car to a one-year lease of a car.

Didn't get Sandhya's dress at all.  The print reminded me of something I would've made in 4-H circa 1976 and then someone tripped and spilled tomato juice on it.  But I liked her in the audition so I'm interested in what else she does.  Agree with the consensus that the hip-baring pants weren't that bad.  Isn't that the new trend?  Not that I would wear them, but I saw worse things on the runway.  Loved German guy's dress the most.  Too lazy to look up her name, but that long haired girl with red lipstick is getting on my nerves already.  She must be the designated talking head of the season. 

For real? That's actually a prize? LMAO okay then, this show really has sold it's soul.

I'd wear Nini's (the Hawaiian dude?) dress because it was pretty and wearable.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Tim thinks pubes grown on a woman's hip.

I loved Kini's dress and would buy it, but that probably means it's not high fashion.

Which judge was it who talked about the "pleasure me pockets" that were not in the right spot for that activity? I want to say either Kors or Zach, but I'm not sure. Perhaps he (or she, but I thought it was a he) and Tim studied anatomy in the same school.

It was michael kors

Speaking of him. I read somewhere that he was working to save his business.

Cant be doing this nonsence and designing great runways two or more times a years.

Somehow I completely missed "Under the Gunn" .  I guess Tim wasn't very nice?  Can someone tell me about it or point me to somewhere where I can satisfy my curiosity about that show?

Somehow I completely missed "Under the Gunn" .  I guess Tim wasn't very nice?  Can someone tell me about it or point me to somewhere where I can satisfy my curiosity about that show?

For starters, check out the Tim Gunn thread here in the PR forum. It's a major topic of discussion.

• Love 1

Oh god, it's the return of flair.

I'm not ready for the nineties to come back. I'm still too traumatized by the return of the seventies and eighties.

OMG, I had an Office Space moment too!

Please just don't actually watch the show.  I want to try to put it in a nutshell.  The premise of the show was that three former contestants (Mondo, Nick and Arya) came back to each mentor a team of five designers I think (so it was a total of 15 designers).  Well, one of Nick's designers...Natasha was just the brunt of bullying from a group of designers who had no room to talk due to their own lack of talent.  And then it got to the point where even Mondo and Arya were bullying her, or constantly talking shit about the girl.  Anytime she was given praise by the judges, it was like Mondo and Arya and these group of mean contestants were busy rolling their eyes, or just talking shit.  One girl in particular, who I think they were trying to angle for the win was especially hideous to her.  And Tim Gunn, instead of stopping any of this, fed right into it, and was constantly being mean to this girl too.  He never bothered to stop Mondo or Arya, or to ask them to talk to their designers that were being dickheads, instead he blamed the girl who was being bullied and piled on too.  It shows such an ugly side of Tim, and it left a really, really, really bad taste in my mouth because he had become such a follower in his attempts to be part of the "cool kids"

• Love 9

I will say I was totally relieved that none of the designers items featured my personal pet peeve, the exposed back zipper.  Hate, hate, hate it.  So overused in the last few seasons, and one of those lazy ways to try and incorporate some "interest" in an otherwise boring design.

So I predict somebody will use one in the next challenge.  *LOL*

• Love 2

I found myself rolling my eyes at Tim yesterday and thinking that this Tim, the nice and supportive Tim was really fake, and the real Tim was the one I saw on Under the Gunn.

I think we saw glimpses of the real TG last season when he was so eager to dish the dirt during judging.  He betrayed more than one confidence, threw more than one sewtestant under the bus, and IMO had no right to call himself a mentor after that.

Mean girls have won two seasons in a row

Have to disagree.  Dom was certainly not Alexandria's BFF, but I don't believe she engaged in any bullying.  That was Helen (and Ken before her).

• Love 2

I don't know if I object to the Red Robin thing as much as all that

I don't object to the Red Robin thing at all. I just think it's hilarious. I could see that as one of the challenges, but as a prize it is...odd. You're not redoing their uniforms but yay, you get to make them some random accessory. Woo hoo! I'd rather the Lexus. lol

I loved Kini's dress and would buy it, but that probably means it's not high fashion.

Yes, Kini, thank you. It will take a few eps for me to remember even the names of the ones I like. I'm bad with names. I did love that dress, though, and yes, that means it is clearly not high fashion since I usually hate the judges favorite "high fashion' choices. I clearly have ready to wear taste. That's why I liked Char's skirt (remember her because I think of char broiled. lol) because I'd wear that with a more wearable top. I just don't find flowy sleeves wearable at all, or a crop that looks like it will flip up if someone exhales too quickly.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think a few of Dom's thoughts on Alexandria were at least as unkind as anything she trashed Alexandria for saying, and her behavior on Twitter was downright shabby, JMO, which makes me wonder what she was doing while we weren't watching. I really think she damaged her brand (and I _very_ much doubt Helen is going to prove to be worth it).

Tim interviewed with Jon Stewart that he was responsible for keeping Michelle when she should have gone home, and I don't believe he of all people didn't know what she was. It increasingly looks to me like his response to his childhood trauma was to become seriously overidentified with bullies.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Excellent recap, Realitygal.  I can't resist adding that last ONE fun moment.

Neil Patrick Harris and Heidi Klum joined the three regular judges and Tim--whose judge/mentor role was murky--for the final runway show.

Just as the regular judges (and Tim) snuggled down and prepared to hand the prize to their favorite designer, Neil Patrick and Heidi blew the top off that nonsense!   BOOM!!!!   NPH calmly opined that her clothes reminded him of (I think) a carnival fortuneteller and Heidi agreed.   "Ya, ya, I just don't get it." 

Then they handed the win to the proper person.  Yay! 

P.S.  The designer everyone picked on, Natasha, still hasn't said anything negative about anyone on the show, which makes all their poor behavior seem even lower by comparison.  The whole show was hard to watch.

• Love 11

Yes, Kini, thank you. It will take a few eps for me to remember even the names of the ones I like. I'm bad with names. I did love that dress, though, and yes, that means it is clearly not high fashion since I usually hate the judges favorite "high fashion' choices. I clearly have ready to wear taste. That's why I liked Char's skirt (remember her because I think of char broiled. lol) because I'd wear that with a more wearable top. I just don't find flowy sleeves wearable at all, or a crop that looks like it will flip up if someone exhales too quickly.

I liked the skirt, too. I would never wear the shirt because I don't wear things that show my midriff and because as nice as the flowiness looked, it's just not practical. Flowy sleeves just get in the way. They always make me think you have to get undressed to go to the bathroom.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm loving all the design diversity this season and hating the bigotry already rearing its head. The girl who talked the most shit did a dime-a-dozen 90s Vogue cover gown but acted like she invented it. 

So glad the panel is back to balance out my newfound distaste for Tim. I can cautiously begin liking him again in this context. Sad that it used to be "Yay Tim!" and now it's "Ugh. Tim."

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 1

My feathers got re-ruffled remembering Under The Gunn, but I came here to comment about offering Ken as a returning designer.

The producers genuinely don't get it, do they?

NO!!!  We're not interested in high drama or personal conflicts or impossible time limitations.  Just let good designers design good clothes!  We'll watch that!

• Love 5
(edited)

NOT to keep dragging UTG back in here, but Neil Patrick was one of the BEST non-fashion industry judges I've seen on any of these shows.  He was dead on with his critiques and was honest without being deliberately nasty.  I really hope Heidi brings him back for judging.

Bringing Ken back would have been the nail in their coffin for me.  His rage issues were beyond acceptable for any reality show. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 12

Didn't get Sandhya's dress at all. The print reminded me of something I would've made in 4-H circa 1976 and then someone tripped and spilled tomato juice on it. But I liked her in the audition so I'm interested in what else she does. Agree with the consensus that the hip-baring pants weren't that bad. Isn't that the new trend? Not that I would wear them, but I saw worse things on the runway. Loved German guy's dress the most. Too lazy to look up her name, but that long haired girl with red lipstick is getting on my nerves already. She must be the designated talking head of the season.

To be fair, the contestants didn't get to pick their fabrics.

I was so disgusted by UTG that I stopped watching it 3/4 of the way through

• Love 1

If anything I thought NPH was too kind about mean girl's collection. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what Cleopatra or Harlem had to do with 1973 or brothel upholstry.

I agree about the diversity. It's kind of fun for the clothes to not be samey. Although, does it seem a little as if the people who told us how edgy the are made the samiest clothes?

• Love 2

Excellent recap, Realitygal.  I can't resist adding that last ONE fun moment.

Neil Patrick Harris and Heidi Klum joined the three regular judges and Tim--whose judge/mentor role was murky--for the final runway show.

Just as the regular judges (and Tim) snuggled down and prepared to hand the prize to their favorite designer, Neil Patrick and Heidi blew the top off that nonsense!   BOOM!!!!   NPH calmly opined that her clothes reminded him of (I think) a carnival fortuneteller and Heidi agreed.   "Ya, ya, I just don't get it." 

Then they handed the win to the proper person.  Yay! 

P.S.  The designer everyone picked on, Natasha, still hasn't said anything negative about anyone on the show, which makes all their poor behavior seem even lower by comparison.  The whole show was hard to watch.

I think he described it as "Carnie Couture." Best line of the series.

• Love 7
(edited)

Question:  On the "returnees" wasn't Ken Laurence the guy with the anger problems?  If it is why on earth would they have him as a contestant to actually come back?  I'm not crazy about Amanda either.  Alexander was just meh to me.  It seems like they picked 3 drama people for that vote so they'd be assured they'd have drama.

You know I've watched every single season and all of the contestants save Michael Costello have been rolled up into one. 

I'm just now watching the episode so I have no thoughts yet.  I'll be back with my opinion.

I do agree with everybody regarding Tim Gunn though having watched Under the Gunn.  I even can't stand listening to him when watching Sofia the First with my grandchildren where he plays Bailiwick.

Edited to add:

Thanks Day2Day.  I'm just now struggling with why they would ask him back of all people.

I am hanging my head with same as I say I kind of liked Mitch's shorts.

I liked the winning dress but she seems just a little needy.   I was right to hate Amanda.  Her facial expressions just add to that hate.  There was one that made it through that I thought should be on the bottom...a blue dress with a flower design corset - like top... anyone notice that one?

Angela is going to annoy me this year.

The right one went home but it did show how much power Heidi does have in that Nina wanted to keep Jefferson because he takes risks and dressed nice.

Edited by NYGirl

And we're off.....  why do all these reality competition shows do the "bring back" eliminated contestant thing???? Once you've been "auffed", you're "AUF"!!!! Can you imagine if Ken had come back? Unless he had a certificate documenting completion of intense anger management classes, putting him in a room of temperamental "artists" WITH SCISSORS (!!!) would require a security detail. Totally confused by the winning dress!  Scuffed-up, "kitty-clawed couch", perfect description.  Wish they would let the viewers vote on bringing back Michael Kors and auffing pissy Posen.  I shudder to think how the challenges are going to be orchestrated to tie in this year's sponsors. * eye roll*  Red Robin, refrigerator, motels, etc.

Did anyone else think that Mr. Fort Lauderdale reminded them of (may he rest in peace) Alan Sues, from Laugh-In???? Mitchell was much too annoying to be funny, but seems to have already taken ownership of this years "bitchy-boy" title. U0HlJYo.gif Let the head shaking & eye rolling begin!

YESSSSSS   NYGirl.   Angry Ken. One step behind the angry Russian (can't remember his name!) on the volatility scale!  Tim had to have the face-to-face "talk" with him before he was eventually "auffed".

The legs of Mitchell's shorts looked two different lengths when the model walked down the runway. I thought he had made them that way on purpose. Then they looked the same length from the back. None of the judges commented on the cleverness of uneven shorts, so I guess it was a problem of "riding up from wear" or being too tight in one leg or not having the fabric cut on the grain. 

I thought Jefferson's shorts were young and interesting, but I didn't like the top. I didn't like Mitchell's top either, so I would have voted off Mitchell.

I'm looking at the "Rate The Runway" right now, and my favorite garments were Fade's and Christine's. I also liked Char's. Those would have been my top 3, with Fade as the winner. That dress was beautiful.

Angela's wasn't THAT bad. I liked the pants, so count me in with the rest of you sluts. 

Mitchell definitely should have been given the boot. 

There was one that made it through that I thought should be on the bottom...a blue dress with a flower design corset - like top... anyone notice that one?

Oh yeah, This thing. Made by Emily, who i barely remember. There was also a black jumpsuit by Samantha that failed to impress me, especially as a spring choice. But I would have put Emily's dress in the bottom for sure.

I didn't think I hated Jefferson's shorts until I looked at them again on Rate the Runway. I kind of liked the top, but I clearly know nothing. Disappointing choice, though, as I liked the former dancer very much and wanted to see more from him (not the dropped-crotch stuff, though).

• Love 2

Oh, that dress-with-vest! I thought for sure the judges would hate it (as I did). Maybe if there were a Bottom 4. . .

I wanted to see more of Jefferson's designs, particularly since he is the only person who has ever made me see a reason for drop-crotch pants to exist. When he did those few dance steps, and when they were wide stances, I could see how the drop-crotch could give a hip-hop dancer, for example, a lot more ease of movement, and the way he designed his made them even look interesting on him because they formed a designed "arch," as it were, of white material on dark (as I recall).  Crotch arch art? Try saying *that* 10 times fast.

• Love 3

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Tim thinks pubes grown on a woman's hip.

I do believe he got that notion from Nina, who if I remember correctly said something very similar last year.  And she should presumably know better.

• Love 1

I hope Mitchell's childhood was really terrible for him to still be whining about it in public at the age of 25.  Sheesh, dude.  Save something for the second date.

I was surprised that Hernan (too short, too tight, no design, ugly fabric) or Emily (Renaissance Festival bustier) didn't hit the bottom.  I thought Kini's all-floral Ann Taylor dress was pretty fug, too.  I didn't really have a problem with the Pube pants.  I also think Tim needs to see more naked women.  I think you'd have to come from a remarkably hairy clan to have to worry about your bush showing in those.  All-black chick seemed, like Amanda, to have completely ignored the theme. 

Does the Samsung sponsorship mean we're going to see a challenge that involves only materials from the fully stocked fridge? 

• Love 5

I don't object to the Red Robin thing at all. I just think it's hilarious. I could see that as one of the challenges, but as a prize it is...odd. You're not redoing their uniforms but yay, you get to make them some random accessory. Woo hoo! I'd rather the Lexus. lol

I'm really hoping someone designs a headband with a big circle in the middle of the forehead that has Red Robin around the edges in big letters. Maybe a picture of a hamburger in the middle. That would be so epically awesome. LOL

• Love 5

@yeswedo,

Thanks for the UTG forum.  I was actually thinking about requesting one called "Gunned Down"....*LOL*

That could be the alternative thread to the one we already have under Project Runway: "Tim Gunn, Your Fabulous Gay Uncle!"

In listing the prizes, there wasn't any mention of the $25,000 for the model paired with the winner.  Also, I did watch a lot of the marathon leading to the premiere and last season (season 12) had a prize package worth over $500,000 versus this year's $300,000.  That and the new sponsors (i.e. Red Robin, Samsung) makes me wonder how Project Runway is doing in the ratings and with advertisers.

(edited)

Have to disagree.  Dom was certainly not Alexandria's BFF, but I don't believe she engaged in any bullying.  That was Helen (and Ken before her).

I recall a moment during the S12 reunion when Tim Gunn was asking Alex how she felt about her narrow loss and, while she was answering diplomatically, Dom made a mocking expression that struck me as very cruel. Then there was her "Oh no!" response when Alexandria said she was going to fashion week, her insistence that Alexandria's collection didn't merit a place in the finals over her BFF Helen's, and her cruel behavior on social media (this, after A helped Dom by giving her extra zippers when she lost hers while finishing her collection). She also said that she wasn't sad to see Alexander go because he was "only a costume designer" and sucked at construction (pot, meet kettle). It bothered me that she was praised by Tim and the judges for her "sweet, adorable, fabulous" personality when she always struck me as nasty, immature, and cliquish. 

Point is, this show has a history of rewarding the designers who display bad behavior, so I am fully prepared for, say, Korina to become a judges' darling even if her work is uninspired. 

Edited by ThatsDarling
  • Love 7

I realize Tim isn't an expert on these things but I need him to learn that vaginas are on the INSiDE. Unless a garment incorporates a speculum, we are not going to be seeing anyone's vagina.

Ha! This reminds me of my mother, who used to say 'sit on your rectum' to us as kids. (she thought she was being "proper").