Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E01: The Judges Decide

• Start Topic

I'm really afraid that this will be a repeat of the Gretchen season.  You've already got the "mean girls" and the "bullying victim".  If Korina wins, that'll put the nail in the coffin that is PR.

• Love 5

I responded really well to Sandhya's audition rack and liked her runway dress very much as well, so I was pleased that the judges can appreciate her talent. But then, I'm drawn to colors and prints more than most normal people. The other designers who were so amazed/appalled at Sandhya's work can blow me -- their stuff was tedious and boring.

• Love 9

You know, the minute i saw that most of the contestants this year live in Brooklyn I thought, hey, I bet hipster groupthink is going to be a big part of this season. 

• Love 6

And we're off.....  why do all these reality competition shows do the "bring back" eliminated contestant thing???? Once you've been "auffed", you're "AUF"!!!! Can you imagine if Ken had come back? Unless he had a certificate documenting completion of intense anger management classes, putting him in a room of temperamental "artists" WITH SCISSORS (!!!) would require a security detail. Totally confused by the winning dress!  Scuffed-up, "kitty-clawed couch", perfect description.  Wish they would let the viewers vote on bringing back Michael Kors and auffing pissy Posen.  I shudder to think how the challenges are going to be orchestrated to tie in this year's sponsors. * eye roll*  Red Robin, refrigerator, motels, etc.

Did anyone else think that Mr. Fort Lauderdale reminded them of (may he rest in peace) Alan Sues, from Laugh-In???? Mitchell was much too annoying to be funny, but seems to have already taken ownership of this years "bitchy-boy" title. U0HlJYo.gif Let the head shaking & eye rolling begin!

• Love 5

The designers are more talented than I thought they would be.  The runway show, overall, was pretty good.  Everybody finished and nothing was totally horrible - boring was the worst (Mitchell).

I feel like I am getting reality shows mixed up.  When Heidi was announcing who was staying I almost expected her to hand out roses.  (Maybe pincushions?)  Then I felt like Sandhya's story, more than her dress, got her the win, so I thought, "What is this, Food Network Star?"  I like Sandhya but did not like her dress and had her marked for being on the bottom.  I also didn't like Char's a lot, although I like her quite a bit.  (I like Sandhya too).  I felt like there was too much fabric in the yellow top so it seemed bunched up and I guess I'm not a fan of circle skirts.  And I guess I liked Angela's from a distance.  I also liked Sean's and thought he would be in the top.

Is the refrigerator a prize?  I thought it was an amenity for the workroom - snacks, etc., would be in there.

Mitchell is this seasons Josh McKinley......Flamboyant, obnoxious and far less talented than he thinks he is.  His game is to out-shout anybody that dares to challenge him, then dissolve into "poor me" tears when he's called on his shit.  NOT looking forward to him.

I think Mitchell has a big poster of Josh wearing short shorts on his wall at home.

Is Michael Kors ever coming back?

• Love 4

How did Amanda get grey, white and textured black fabric when everyone else was stuck with fugly prints?

I was also going to compare Mitchell with Josh. I felt like Josh's first outfits looked exactly like the tacky short set that Mitchell sent down runway last night...and we were stuck with josh until the end. Mitchell can't leave fast enough for me.

I thought the meanest comment came from Sam when she was told the winner that everyone else thought your outfit was horrid and I was the only one that like it. Uummm, thanks, I guess. Nothing like ruining a moment for someone...

Right now, I'm loving everything about Char!!!

• Love 2
How did Amanda get grey, white and textured black fabric when everyone else was stuck with fugly prints?

Did she dye it? I am pretty sure that they showed her trying (and failing) to trade some bright pink fabric at the beginning of the challenge

While my favorite garment was Char's, and I had hoped (and expected) her to win the opening challenge, I completely understand why Sandhya came out on top.  And upon further reflection, I agree with the decision.  IMO Nina's comment about Sandhya not being afraid was particularly telling.  The judges were making a statement at the outset that they expect strong choices this season; those who play it safe, and don't have a clear POV, or a readily identifiable aesthetic won't be around very long.  Ultimately Sandhya was rewarded because there was a story behind her garment, and she did something both unexpected, and that the judges had not seen before.  I think the judges liked that she was fearless, and more importantly, didn't second-guess herself.  I just think she is coming from a much different place than the other designers, and the judges responded to this.  OTOH I also think she straddled a fine line in this challenge, and I can potentially see her results being all over the map going forward.  But she has my interest, that's for sure.

I am actually happy Mitchell wasn't eliminated.  His garment certainly wasn't the worst, and I was intrigued by his story of having a tough early life, though we weren't provided with too many details in the initial episode.  It's a bit early for me to classify him as another Josh, though he may well end up moving in that direction.  I would have been happy to see Angela make a quick exit; I find myself getting anxious every time she's on camera.  Perhaps we'll see something different next week, but thus far she looks the most likely candidate for an early emotional meltdown. 

• Love 5

Interesting to hear that at some point in the season Tim is going to call people out for bullying....perhaps trying to redeem himself after Under the Gunn?

Who better to point out the Pot than the Kettle?

If you showed up at a party in Sandhya's dress, your friends would whip out their cell phones and call 911 thinking you'd been assaulted on the way over.  I liked the idea of her dress, but the lack of finish spoiled it for me.  It just looked like the model was lucky to get away with her life.

• Love 5
(edited)

How stupid do they think we are that they had to spell out the definition of DIY?  I know, I know...that stupid.

Korina not only acts like Meana Irina, I think she looks like her, too.  But I suspect that her first dissing of Sandhya, at the audition, was edited from a later point. 

I liked Char the best coming out of the Road to the Runway, so I was glad she was top three.  Agree with most above about Sandhya's dress so won't go on about that, except it really did look like a tablecloth after my cats got through with it.  But just based on the meanness, and that I liked the bright colors she brought to her audition, I'm glad she was safe.  But shouldn't have won.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 5

I honestly thought that after Mitchell only squeaked through the audition because of his taste level, he would have gone home for that romper. Yes, The high-waisted shorts were hideous, but at least that outfit looked well-made. Mitchell's looked like it had been sewn together in the dark! The strips of floral print at the shoulder that looked partially pinned on? WTF? But clearly they're keeping Mitchell because he's already turning out to be one of the Mean Girls with Korina, so they'll keep him around for a bit for the drama of it all. 

I look back fondly at the earlier seasons of PR that were more about talented designers making amazing (and hideous) clothing with just a little bit of drama -- whatever occurred naturally, not through producer manipulation/editing.

• Love 4

I'm really afraid that this will be a repeat of the Gretchen season.  You've already got the "mean girls" and the "bullying victim".  If Korina wins, that'll put the nail in the coffin that is PR.

The preview gave me hope, however.  It doesn't seem like at least Sandhya is going to take it in silence.

• Love 1
(edited)

I did not like Sandhya's dress on the runway.  That being said I think she has a vision and I will not  enjoy watching her being bullied by a bitchy mean girls club.  There is no way I can take another Michael Costello type of season, where people gang up on one designer like it is middle school.

Michael's stuff we see all the time at malls, the beach, etc...

I think if you look back at old spring break footage on Mtv from the eighties,  I think you will find that fashion icon named Pauly Shore wearing the almost exact same outfit.  Maybe Michael is Pauly's long lost son?

Now please excuse me while I walk to my "food showcase" to get an apple.  I think this is what I will call my refrigerator from now on.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 19

Yup, like a lot of you, I feel Amanda was robbed.  Her outfit was sleek, sophisticated and relaxed at the same time. So what if it wasn't sprinkled with springtime flowers?  And I like Sandhya a lot and am glad she's staying. But really, the winning outfit?  It seemed like the judges were contorting themselves trying to find nice things to say about it.  But you knew when the edit had other contestants bad-mouthing her work, she was gonna come out on top.

And Angela, seriously. Calm down!  I have some extra valium, I'll send it over.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yup, like a lot of you, I feel Amanda was robbed.  Her outfit was sleek, sophisticated and relaxed at the same time. So what if it wasn't sprinkled with springtime flowers?  

The challenge was to make a springtime outfit.   While it was well made, it could have been made by any of a long line of Project Runway designers including Amanda's mean girl buddy, Michelle.   Amanda did a great job in construction (esp given the time constraint) but it wasn't exactly new or interesting.

The other designer who made the all black outfit should have been called out on it, as well.

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 3

I've never heard of Aldo.  I have heard of Mary Kay and Red Robin however, so that's already a fashion strike against them.  Also, every time I hear or see it, I think of the discount Aldi grocery chain so that doesn't scream high fashion to me either.  Is K-Mart going to be a sponsor next?  I hear the Jacklyn Smith collection is very fashion forward!  It appears that any cache PR once had is gone gone gone.

Oh how I wish Mitchell and his Florida beach boy (is there a male version of a beach bunny?) persona had been auf'd.  He is just tedious.

Tim, my Minneapolis home boy, was gone in a flash.  Too boring I guess.  With no local to cheer for, I'm leaning towards Char and Sandhya at this point.  I wasn't fond of Sandhya's runway dress, but I did love her audition collection.

• Love 3

I've been a huge PR fan, but this season, coupled with the last one, are changing that.  

First off, I thought the show was 30 minutes too long.  I started getting bored. In addition, I never liked the idea of bringing past contestants back.  They DO have an advantage in terms of knowing how things work, and previous experience with the judges.  The Tim Gunn Save is another thing - the show, which used to be a fairly straighforward design competition, has really gotten too gimmicky,

I thought the dress that won was hideous, but then I don't understand the judges mindset half the time anyway.  I remember when  that Gretchen person won - Nina saying it was because Gretchen's clothes were "wearable".  I'd like to see Nina wear that dress from last night,

• Love 1

I rewatched it, to avoid doing any real work this morning, and came away with a few thoughts:

1. The rewatch reminded me that "spring" was only one half of the assignment; the other half was "part of a runway show." THAT is what entranced them about Sandhja's dress, I think, along with her story and her "differentness." Once I realized that, I could really see her appeal to the judges, because hers was, imo and apparently theirs, the single design that immediately gave them visions of an interesting runway show, and I can see how it would. Nina used the word "fantasy" to describe the effect, and that smacks of runway show, too. Personally, I hated the hair and makeup, but again--runway show. Even though I kind of liked the dress, I have to admit the torn shoulder parts looked like you could keep small coins in them.  Handy for subway tokens! Or, to reveal little upper arm tattoos. Snark aside, now I really want to see a Sandhya runway show. (The rewatch also reminded me that the judges loved her elimination designs. She was the favorite of at least one of them.)

2. I loved Amanda's black top upon first seeing it, and still do, but I am confirmed in my hatred of those pants. They look Harlequin to me, and stiff. Amanda comes across as smug sometimes, but I kind of don't think she is. I think that she is uncomfortable and stiff in her own skin, just like those pants looked on the model's skin, imo. (Strained symbolism alert!) I hope A. can relax more, and that her designs do, too.

3. Tim was so wrong about a couple of things--doubting Sandhya, for one, and advising Char to let that top hang down, for another. I am impressed with her final decision to crop that top. That was a great decision.

4. I thought, Oh, no, when I first saw Julie Bowen. The only other times I'd seen her be "herself," she was crude and crazy. There was the time on an awards show when she couldn't stop talking about breasts, for instance--her own and other women's. So this appearance was a relief!

• Love 1

I guess if you're designing for New York fashion, black is always in season.

I think Sandhya is going to be this year's Patricia Michaels - strong POV heavily influenced by her ethnic background, a background that for some reason seems to be completely out of the scope of the judges, so they find it impressively new and interesting.  I loved most of Patricia's stuff and I am looking forward to Sandhya's.

I like it when the judges examine the clothing close up, but I wish the camera operators would get in close enough for us to see what the judges are muttering about.

• Love 6

Sandhya's outfit did stand out but I wrestled with why it bothered me so much.  Her model looked as if she had been beaten up and the results stained the top of the dress, which was an effect emphasized by the torn sleeves.  The hemline didn't match on the bottom, the fraying looked like a way to avoid finish garment.  All in all, the model looked as if she had suffered domestic abuse. Then I remembered Sandhya's self created patterns and there is a feel, to me, that she tries to communicate a political message in her fashion, which may include the poor treatment of women (in general or, perhaps, specifically in India).   This is a legitamate approach, and it is a big contrast with her bubbly personality (nice for her that the arranged marriage worked out).  It could also get old if she doesn't mix it up with other themes. 

I'm very tired of the designers and their "girl"...the imaginary fanatasy creature that is super thin, super young, and never ages.  Do they never want to design for women?  Amanda and Nina, I'm looking at you.  I undrstand fashion is not about reality, but I don't understand why generations of women have to be excluded because of an obsession with a single age and body type.

The previews of the season showed too many women crying.  I hope this doesn't turn into a tear fest.  On the other hand, Tim Gunn has no right to get holier than thou about bullying...he has exhibited some very poor behavior himself both in "Under the Gunn" and later episodes of "Project Runway." He has lost all credibiltiy on this subject for me. 

I'll watch on. Of course I will. 

• Love 6

including Amanda's mean girl buddy, Michelle.

Damn, I forgot that they were friends.  I could have sworn I remembered liking her.  Maybe it was before she drank the Michelle Koolaide.  

I am surprised that Nina, queen of the "But how do you wear a braaaaaaa with that top?" didn't mention that about Char's.  It was very flat in the front and had almost no back.  Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear it at some point this season.   

dialyn, that's a very interesting analysis of Sandhya's possible intent with that dress, and one I completely missed. From what she said earlier in the show, she definitely does design with her mind on political themes related to the mistreatment of women in India. She's looking more and more to me like an intriguing woman and a bold and serious artist. I hope this turns out to be true.

• Love 3

As a Native American, I always get a little excited when I see one of my peeps on a reality show. Then Korina had to ruin it by being horrible. Grrr.

I was glad to see Amanda was back, simply because Ken and Alexander were both awful. I still can't figure out why Alexander would even want to come back on the show after all his whining about the judging on his season's reunion.

(edited)

Amanda was unfairly hitched to the Michelle/Layana mean girl wagon by Kate (who did apologize about that in the reunion).  She was never anything but kind, even when she was dressed down on the runway by the other designers.  They were all like "Amanda should go home becuz she sux" and she rose above it like a champ.  That's why I was very happy to see her back, definitely my favorite of the three possibilities.

Frankly I can't put any stock in this challenge because every single piece of fabric they were given was horrifying.  It's like they went dumpster-diving behind a Joann's and got the stuff that couldn't even sell as remnants.  I couldn't see people's designs through the fabric, which in most cases literally disgusted me.  So I don't blame anyone for what they came up with.

I got Sandhya's dress, more or less, I think.  It reminded me of a couple of dresses from Galliano of long ago that I remember loving; it was obviously a lot less beautiful, but for a one-day version it was OK.  The zippers I did not understand.  I do think her win is part of a part of PR that's been there from the very first episode: weird is better than boring.  And I think that's the saving grace of the show, personally.  I am totally in Heidi's camp on this one.

Personally I liked Jefferson's shorts!  Maybe I'm crazy.  Fix the "side-butt" issue and pair them with a crisp white shirt, and I think they'd be great.  I also liked Angela's a lot (admittedly, I was biased in her favor because I like nothing more than a skittish reality show contestant, it's the only kind of person I can relate to.)  Would any heterosexual man find those pants 'super-slutty' or whatever?  "Oh yeah bro, I could sort of see the side of her hip!!  She totally wants it!  High five!!!"  I find it hard to imagine.  I think her kind of subtle foldy layery thing (like Leann's stuff) is the only sort of style that ever really works for me on Project Runway.

I am happy this is a very diverse cast.  It's weirdly great that Korina (who thanks to her name and personality reminds me of Corinne from Survivor) gets to be The Bitch, instead of The Native American, if you see what I mean.  It's still a stereotype, but it's based on her character, not her background.  We'll see if the other POCs get the chance to not be just their demographic.

Ultimately I'm pretty over PR but I at least have one thing to fascinate me about this season, for a little while anyway--I want to see how Amanda will contrast with Kate as returning player.  There's differences already.  Kate came back hungry, laser-focussed on the judges and what they want (NOT what the challenge calls for.)  Amanda seems to want to be herself and is using the fact that she is comfortable with the process and time limits to not be distracted and think about herself and her customer (her 'girl', I agree, is a bit of a weird way to put it, but that's what some people say in the industry) maybe with an eye towards the long-term, since I have a feeling she knows she's not going to win.  FASCINATING.  This bit is always interesting to me, how people come back--Mondo came to All Stars a petulant sourpuss who didn't really see why he should have to go through all this rigamarole to get the win he thought he deserved last time; Kenley came back saying "I'm just gonna have a good time and make some nice clothes"; Elena wanted to get her aesthetic on the screen (which it never was in her first season) and prove to herself she could win a challenge; etc etc.  It's funny, I always say I wish the clothes would get more attention than the so-called 'drama' and personality clashes, and that's true, but as time goes by I care less and less about the (always crappy) clothes and more about the people.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 6
(edited)

Damn, I forgot that they were friends.  I could have sworn I remembered liking her.  Maybe it was before she drank the Michelle Koolaide.  

I don't remember them being all that close. I think when Kate announced that Amanda, Layana and Michelle were meangirling her they kind of got grouped in peoples' minds. FWIW, Kate later apologized for including Amanda in that group, I think when it became clear that her arrogant behavior came more from painful social ineptitude than it did from nastiness. 

Not that less deranged and unpleasant than Michelle and Layana is much of a bar, but I think Amanda chinned it :)

eta: I see @KimberStormer got there first.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

I am surprised that Nina, queen of the "But how do you wear a braaaaaaa with that top?" didn't mention that about Char's.  It was very flat in the front and had almost no back.  Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear it at some point this season.   

Ugh...Michelle :(

But I actually think Char's model was wearing a bra, I remember her wearing something black that Char was sewing the yellow around.  It looks like a back bra strap.

As a Native American, I always get a little excited when I see one of my peeps on a reality show. Then Korina had to ruin it by being horrible. Grrr.

I was glad to see Amanda was back, simply because Ken and Alexander were both awful. I still can't figure out why Alexander would even want to come back on the show after all his whining about the judging on his season's reunion.

MV.  But I like Alexanders clothing, it was always dramatic.  Sometimes stupid, but I liked the color and the drama he would bring (with the clothing).  And I liked that he stood up for himself against Ken.

Personally I liked Jefferson's shorts!  Maybe I'm crazy.  Fix the "side-butt" issue and pair them with a crisp white shirt, and I think they'd be great.  I also liked Angela's a lot (admittedly, I was biased in her favor because I like nothing more than a skittish reality show contestant, it's the only kind of person I can relate to.)  Would any heterosexual man find those pants 'super-slutty' or whatever?  "Oh yeah bro, I could sort of see the side of her hip!!  She totally wants it!  High five!!!"  I find it hard to imagine.  I think her kind of subtle foldy layery thing (like Leann's stuff) is the only sort of style that ever really works for me on Project Runway.

Yeah - I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who didn't think Jeffersons shorts were the end of the world as we know it.  And I liked the idea of the side slit on angela's but I can see where the top was a bit much, and I think the judges had a problem with them being super low in the back.  Having said that, I agree, I couldn't figure out why they were just so scandalized over the side slits.

Do they never want to design for women?

Almost every PR season will have one challenge where they have to design for so-called 'real women.'

Whether it's each other's Moms, college kids needing outfits to enter the job world, that one where they had to re-purpose women's favorite old outfits and last seasons designing for the PR 'Super Fans.'

It's always interesting to see which designers embrace the challenge and the ones who bitch about having to deal with non-models.

I don't remember them being all that close. I think when Kate announced that Amanda, Layana and Michelle were meangirling her they kind of got grouped in peoples' minds. FWIW, Kate later apologized for including Amanda in that group, I think when it became clear that her arrogant behavior came more from painful social ineptitude than it did from nastiness. 

Not that less deranged and unpleasant than Michelle and Layana is much of a bar, but I think Amanda chinned it :)

Amanda was more their camp follower, but she was right there with them.  When I was listening to her last night, as annoying as she was, she seemed to sort of acknowledge that.  She went along with the gang and tended to be in Michelle's shadow.

I can't imagine why they chose the three past season people they did.  The producers were basically asking fans to choose which kind of drama to add into the mix this season.

• Love 1
I agree, I couldn't figure out why they were just so scandalized over the side slits.

I couldn't either.  I really liked the idea but not the execution.  I was disappointed that the slits were criticized in that way, because now she will be too skittish to continue to develop the idea.  I did agree that the *fit* was bad, and that the top had too many ideas thrown in at once.  

• Love 4

I thought Sandhya's dress was just plain ugly, distinct point of view or not. Since they weren't designing for a horror film, I don't get why she won.

And, coincidentally using the same material as Sandhya, I thought Hernan's dress should've been flagged. The slit in the back of it looked like it was creeping right up to the model's butt crack. How attractive is that, let alone wearable?

Kini's dress looked like you could get it off the rack of any store, anywhere. That's fine, but it's definitely not a unique point of view or worthy of a design show.

The guy who went home wasn't robbed, but he was not the worst by a long shot. Of the three *they* put on the bottom, I would've been more inclined to let Mr. Miami Beach Bum go.

• Love 2

I was taken aback by the scandalous reactions to the slits (really more cut-outs) on those pants. I am so NOT a sexy dresser or girly-girl, yet when I saw them on the runway, I thought with a more appropriate backside hem, those pants would rock. I think it's a great way to highlight a subtly sexy body part for a woman who maybe doesn't have a stick-thin figure. I'd love to buy a pair of those (ignoring the fact that I'm not one to go commando and am not sure how an undergarment would work). Guess I'm a super-slut.

And Tim's haranguing about the need for a Brazilian gift certificate? FUCK YOU, TIM GUNN. Those cut outs weren't anywhere near her pubes, but I guess he assumes that whole scary hairy region to be the fucking Creeping Terror. Unless the average woman were going au natural down there and styling her Guinness-record-setting bush to climb up her hipbone, I highly doubt anyone would be scandalized.*

*Which is not to say some women may have a little extra fuzz down there. Nothing wrong with that. I just highly doubt that a fashion model on a tv show would have anything to worry about. It really felt more like TG's repulsion of the icky-ew-vagina. After the travesty of UTG, I feel more sensitized to his asshole-ish nature and am finding him to be a hateful and biased little man.

• Love 17

You can already tell how this season is going to go—Korina and Mitchell will be the charter members of the Mean Bitches Asshole Club, they’ll “bully” Sandhya because they don’t “get” her, Anxious Angela will get all nervous and weepy every challenge because  she has no confidence.   I can’t really remember anyone else at this point except Char (who shoulda won).  Same shit, different season.

Cannot wait for the Red Robin Design a Server Uniform Challenge.  *eye roll*

Did she dye it? I am pretty sure that they showed her trying (and failing) to trade some bright pink fabric at the beginning of the challenge

She may have.  She walked into that back room and Sadhya was dyeing and she said, "I didn't even know we had dye here." 

• Love 2

I most liked Fäde's (I really need that look in my closet) and was really surprised to learn that he wasn't in the top. I thought it was better than Amanda's. I was expecting Char to win, but I also really liked Sandhya's look so I was okay with her winning (especially since it confused and pissed so many people off).

I was happy that THE Mitchell Perry dropped the "the" pretty quickly and if I'm recalling correctly, he only referenced himself in the third person once - was expecting a lot more of that. He's annoying though, he can go anytime.

Right now I'm at the point where I feel like this is going to be a great season, but I know that this show turns sour pretty quickly so I'm expecting to hate it by the end of it.

• Love 3
I've never heard of Aldo.

They're kind of in the Nine West pricing bracket.  So, it's not as horrid as the Belk accessory wall, and still multiple notches ahead of a possible Wal-Mart wall.

I guess he assumes that whole scary hairy region to be the fucking Creeping Terror.

This.  So much.  Designers are constantly giving crazy side boob, plunging necklines, plunging backlines, too much ass, and pixelated vag on this show, and he's worried that being within 6 inches of a pubic region is cause for concern?

• Love 4

Korina = Gretchen 2.0. with Mitchell as her Ivy and Sendhya as her Michael Costello. I was outraged when the blatant bullying of Michael was allowed to go on, but at least he didn't really give a crap what those vile witches and lemmings thought and did his own thing. I am sending good vibes to Sendhya and anyone else who goes against this evil empire. 

Amanda = UGH. I didn't care for her the first time around because of her mean girl clique with ME-chelle and overall affected manner and boring clothes. Whoever said she only got back on because of her famous brother speaks the truth. 

Count me in on the Char love (so far). It is so refreshing to have a good designer who can stand on their own two feet and doesn't have to put others down to feel important. <3 

• Love 3

Didn't get this at all.  Yes, Sandaya seems a lovely person but that dress was hideous.  Badly constructed, ugly, unwearable and anything but the endlessly repeated "fashion forward".  But from the deliberations it seemed as though Heidi wanted her to win.

After this show raving about and rewarding that high-waisted look and forgiving countless iterations of the booty short, they auf Jefferson?  Really?  It wasn't great but was clearly superior to that piece of crap Mitchell trotted down the runway.  But from the deliberations it seemed as though Heidi wanted Jefferson to go.  A trend?

Like others, I don't know what the judges want and I apparently don't have a clue about what looks good.  

• Love 2
I was taken aback by the scandalous reactions to the slits (really more cut-outs) on those pants. I am so NOT a sexy dresser or girly-girl, yet when I saw them on the runway, I thought with a more appropriate backside hem, those pants would rock. I think it's a great way to highlight a subtly sexy body part for a woman who maybe doesn't have a stick-thin figure. I'd love to buy a pair of those (ignoring the fact that I'm not one to go commando and am not sure how an undergarment would work). Guess I'm a super-slut.

I must be a super-slut, too, because I liked the slits, too!  If the pants hadn't been so low, those slits would have seemed even less revealing than they were because they'd have been higher on the hip, closer to the dress that Heidi was actually wearing which had a slit at the waist. 

Also, this was supposed to be a Fashion Week runway challenge, so not necessarily wearable and more exaggerated.  I could easily see those pants in ready to wear with a fabric backing behind the slits, so you'd see slits and then fabric, maybe in a bright color or something, showing through. 

And Heidi is the last person to talk about revealing clothes!  Also, need I remind the judges of Emilio Sosa's string/washers bikini???

• Love 3

I realize Tim isn't an expert on these things but I need him to learn that vaginas are on the INSiDE. Unless a garment incorporates a speculum, we are not going to be seeing anyone's vagina.

I wanted Char to win. But I liked Sandhya's audition pieces and am eager to see what else she comes up with.

I think Jefferson should have stayed.

• Love 9

Jefferson's shorts would have been kind of cute with a man-tailored shirt tied at the actual waist and some kicky heels or cute booties.  I could never wear it (I have the biggest stomach), but I would wish I could.

Also, has anyone else noticed how the judges are so determined to call Char by her full name?  It feels a little presumptuous to me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm having a lot of trouble posting today, so I apologize if this gets messed up.

Anyway, I thought Jefferson's shorts could have been redeemed with a man-tailored crisp white shirt knotted at the waist and a pair of cute, kicky heels.  I couldn't wear them because my stomach is big, but I would have eyed them with favor.

Also, I think it's weird that the judges are so determined to call Char by her full name.  It feels a bit presumptuous or condescending.

Sorry for the double posting.  The site (or my computer) is giving me fits today.

Edited by magpye29
  • Love 1

So when did Terry from Reno 911 change his name to Mitchell and start designing clothes?

LMAO!  You're so wrong for that, but its so funny.  All he needs are the skates!

I must be a super-slut, too, because I liked the slits, too!  If the pants hadn't been so low, those slits would have seemed even less revealing than they were because they'd have been higher on the hip, closer to the dress that Heidi was actually wearing which had a slit at the waist. 

Also, this was supposed to be a Fashion Week runway challenge, so not necessarily wearable and more exaggerated.  I could easily see those pants in ready to wear with a fabric backing behind the slits, so you'd see slits and then fabric, maybe in a bright color or something, showing through. 

And Heidi is the last person to talk about revealing clothes!  Also, need I remind the judges of Emilio Sosa's string/washers bikini???

Thank you!  Heidi of the sparkly gogo dancer dresses from two seasons back?  And yes, that Emilio Sosa bikini was one washer away from a wardrobe malfunction, those slits were nowhere NEAR that level.

I couldn't either.  I really liked the idea but not the execution.  I was disappointed that the slits were criticized in that way, because now she will be too skittish to continue to develop the idea.  I did agree that the *fit* was bad, and that the top had too many ideas thrown in at once.  

Yeah, I really liked the idea of the pants, and I thought the idea was edgy.  Yeah, thats right, I can use buzzwords too!  I know they are all put out by the time constraints, and I think that was an issue here, but over the past few seasons they have done so many one day challenges, that I would think if I wanted to be a contestant I would learn to do things in a day.

Faith somewhat restored, I mostly enjoyed the show.  Ninety minutes should be okay with this many contestants, but they waste too much of it on irrelevant crap, when I want to see more work in the workroom and more personality from the non-bitchy designers. Biggest downside --  I'm so sad that it seems I'll never be able to see Tim Gunn the same way after the disaster of Under the Gunn.  How I wish I could un-see that fiasco!

• Love 4

@Calamity Jane,

I feel the same way.  Letting Tim back into my heart is going to be a slow rebuilding process, but I will TRY to not let that bizarre and misguided "experiment" color my here & now...It's a new show and a new opportunity for him to shine.....*sigh*....breathe....letting the bad juju goooooooooo

• Love 3