Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E09: Three Little Words

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, JAndy said:

I am not going to fault her for wearing leggings at the driving range though (is that what you meant?) I’ve been living in my leggings since last March 😂

No, when she walked in from work wearing the hoodie and short skirt (I called it a mini skirt).

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

Based on what I've seen of her so far, I wouldn't associate her with the term "freshened up." 🤣

To freshen Ginny up would require a firehose, steel wool, industrial degreaser and a Hazmat team in full PPE .....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 10
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

To freshen Ginny up would require a firehose, steel wool, industrial degreaser and a Hazmat team in full PPE .....

And I'd take her to the vet's to get her shots.

(Ooooh....that's mean. 😈)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree.  Also he seemed very concerned with how she was feeling about him right from the start, saying "I'm just trying to get a read on how you're feeling about me" on day 3 of the marriage.  I get it that she has a poker face, but that would put a lot of pressure on a woman, and that usually doesn't go well.  Plus she did tell him at the start of the honeymoon that her greatest challenge would be not being able to do what she wanted when she wanted because she was very used to being single. So it's not like she didn't tell him right away that that would be a challenge for her.  He could have understood that her not including him on the couples gathering might have been more about her than it was about him.  But Jake is insecure and always making everything about him.  Everything she does he chalks up to her rejection, when in fact it might have nothing to do with him and is just an issue of her having to get used to being in a relationship.  Since they were only a few days in at that point I would give her the benefit of the doubt and not just assume it was all about deliberate rejection and even worse, deception. 

I think Jake was projecting his own interpretation of her behavior onto her.  He may have felt inadequate about the sex because of his own insecurity and over-assumed and anticipated that her less than affectionate behavior afterward plus not calling him to be with the others was evidence that she was rejecting him and even worse, pursuing a boyfriend he fantasized when it may have been that she is generally not that expressive or part of her general problem about not being able give up doing what she wanted when she wanted.  I also think at that point she may have been confused about how she felt about him and wanted to ride out her confusion before saying anything about it, but he kept zeroing in and calling her on every thing he could interpret negatively before she could do that, only further driving her away and forcing her to say that she just wasn't feeling something.  Well, maybe she wasn't at that point but that didn't mean it would never happen.  She just needed more time to get there and he forced her into saying something that sounded to him very negative.  I think if he would have left it alone she may have started coming around - she seemed to be progressing nicely up to that point so I have no reason to think she wouldn't have continued to go in that direction.

I also think that after the sex Jake thought that meant the relationship should proceed to a new level of closeness, but she wasn't ready for that.  He again interpreted that as a rejection when she has been very clear and very consistent about saying she just needed more time because this was all very new to her.  I don't think she pulled away at all.  I think he interpreted her not being more affectionate after sex as pulling away when it was about the same level as before the sex.  And his constant nailing her about her every move was only sabotaging any chance that she might in time become more affectionate toward him.  She even said she needed time to process everything but he didn't want to be that patient, and his lack of patience only further drove her away.

She should have never slept with him in the first place.  That was a green light for him.  Men think differently than women.  Then again, I don’t know how things are done nowadays.  Maybe it’s the norm.  I only slept with one man.  Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing, not knowing what other men are like.  Did I miss out on the fun?  My Ex never married.  I could have had an affair with him very easily, but I couldn’t do that to my husband.  Kill me, lol.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Isn't everything you're describing (accurate as far as I'm concerned) regarding the issues that are challenging Jake an Haley things that  THE EXPERTS are supposed to hash out and guide the couples to resolve????

Yes the experts should be doing that, and they used to do more of that on this show.  Now they do nothing but nod their heads at the couples when they visit and engage in useless talking heads.  Or give them stupid jar exercises.  It's pathetic.

10 hours ago, TakeAPinotGrigio said:

Jake creeps me out because he seems to display all the characteristics of an incel except he's sexually active. He's a "nice guy."

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do get misogynistic vibes from him.  That could be a reason for still being single at his age.

• Useful 1
On 3/14/2021 at 11:09 PM, qtpye said:

I have to say, I understand that there is nothing wrong with being single for a long time, but a man pushing 40 who has NEVER been in a relationship would be a bit of a red flag for me.

Oh I feel attacked again.

This type of thinking comes up on the show quite often when the show itself has demonstrated many times that someone never being in a relationship before in itself doesn't mean anything. People haven't been in relationships for so many reasons.

For me, I'm 38, never been in a relationship. When I was a teenager into my mid 20s I tried. Put myself out there. Made an effort. Dated and met many women. Nothing ever worked out for me. Sometimes it wasn't them, I wasn't interested. But, after all that time, I just kind of gave up. I focused on work, saving money, my health, etc. And it never happened. It's not like I'm going to have women beating down my door. Women fail to understand how easy it is for a man to not be in relationships. Men often are put in the position to make the first move. If you don't try and focus on other things it's really really easy to just not date or be in relationships. 

Jake has clearly put his effort into his lifestyle and home. That's been his focus. 

More and more, people care about dating and marriage less and less. 

One day I might try harder to meet someone but maybe it wasn't meant to be. Either way, it doesn't say anything about me or Jake. Except maybe we were both unlucky in love and focusing on other things. 

That's why it's important to ask questions instead of making assumptions. A lot of these things people call "red flags" in life aren't really anything. But, they can be a reason to not date a great person if you let it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

She should have never slept with him in the first place.  That was a green light for him.  Men think differently than women.  Then again, I don’t know how things are done nowadays.  Maybe it’s the norm.  I only slept with one man.  Sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing, not knowing what other men are like.  Did I miss out on the fun?  My Ex never married.  I could have had an affair with him very easily, but I couldn’t do that to my husband.  Kill me, lol.

I think she should have waited and this is a perfect example of why so many of the brides on this show wait a little while to have sex.  I think she may have thought she was trying to find a spark with him and thought that perhaps giving in to sex might do it, but it backfired.  Maybe he put it to her that way, that if she didn't try she'd never find out, and she gave into his pressure.  Plus under the circumstances of already being married it might not have seemed like too big a step to try to move things to a higher level with the person.  Then when it didn't do that, he got sour about it.  That tells me she wasn't really ready to have sex with him and might have given into his subtle (or not so subtle judging from how he was half naked in bed) pressure against her better judgment.  So I see responsibility for this on both sides.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

This type of thinking comes up on the show quite often when the show itself has demonstrated many times that someone never being in a relationship before in itself doesn't mean anything. People haven't been in relationships for so many reasons.

For me, I'm 38, never been in a relationship. When I was a teenager into my mid 20s I tried. Put myself out there. Made an effort. Dated and met many women. Nothing ever worked out for me. Sometimes it wasn't them, I wasn't interested. But, after all that time, I just kind of gave up. I focused on work, saving money, my health, etc. And it never happened. It's not like I'm going to have women beating down my door. Women fail to understand how easy it is for a man to not be in relationships. Men often are put in the position to make the first move. If you don't try and focus on other things it's really really easy to just not date or be in relationships. 

Jake has clearly put his effort into his lifestyle and home. That's been his focus. 

One day I might try harder to meet someone but maybe it wasn't meant to be. Either way, it doesn't say anything about me or Jake. Except maybe we were both unlucky in love and focusing on other things. 

That's why it's important to ask questions instead of making assumptions. A lot of these things people call "red flags" in life aren't really anything. But, they can be a reason to not date a great person if you let it.

30 years ago I worked with a woman in her 50s that had never been married but met a man (also in his 50s) in her church choir that had also never been married or had a long term relationship.  He had lived with his mother all of his life and just never found the right woman - then again he never made much of an effort.  I think I would have called him a "mama's boy".  Then his mother died and lo and behold he suddenly met my friend and fell in love.  She confessed to me one day that they were both virgins and never had sex, and that worked for them.  They were a lovely couple - really nice people.  Now to most people these two would be seemingly unmatchable and would see red flags all over the place as to their ability to sustain a marriage, but they were somehow lucky to meet each other and were the other's perfect match (they're 80 now and still together BTW).  But I think something like that is very rare to happen.  The more out of the ordinary stuff you have in your repertoire the harder you are to match because most people won't want to be in a relationship with someone who has certain quirks.  I imagine that the rarer your quirks are the harder it is to find someone that will accept them.  Not wanting to have sex is a big one.  Most people do and would see red flags waving all over the place if they met someone who never had a long term relationship and/or sex and didn't really want to either.  They can be great people, just not the right match for the overwhelming majority of people out there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

30 years ago I worked with a woman in her 50s that had never been married but met a man (also in his 50s) in her church choir that had also never been married or had a long term relationship.  He had lived with his mother all of his life and just never found the right woman - then again he never made much of an effort.  I think I would have called him a "mama's boy".  Then his mother died and lo and behold he suddenly met my friend and fell in love.  She confessed to me one day that they were both virgins and never had sex, and that worked for them.  They were a lovely couple - really nice people.  Now to most people these two would be seemingly unmatchable and would see red flags all over the place as to their ability to sustain a marriage, but they were somehow lucky to meet each other and were the other's perfect match (they're 80 now and still together BTW).  But I think something like that is very rare to happen.  The more out of the ordinary stuff you have in your repertoire the harder you are to match because most people won't want to be in a relationship with someone who has certain quirks.  I imagine that the rarer your quirks are the harder it is to find someone that will accept them.  Not wanting to have sex is a big one.  Most people do and would see red flags waving all over the place if they met someone who never had a long term relationship and/or sex and didn't really want to either.  They can be great people, just not the right match for the overwhelming majority of people out there.

My point is that the why is what's important. Not the being long term single in itself. Never had a long term relationship because you never found the right person? Why would that be a red flag? Somehow that's worse than being in and out of multiple failed ones? I don't think so .

But, there could be other answers that would make them incompatible. 

That's why I thinking asking questions is more beneficial than writing people off in many situations.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Racj82 said:

My point is that the why is what's important. Not the being long term single in itself. Never had a long term relationship because you never found the right person? Why would that be a red flag? Somehow that's worse than being in and out of multiple failed ones? I don't think so .

But, there could be other answers that would make them incompatible. 

That's why I thinking asking questions is more beneficial than writing people off in many situations.

Well never being in a long term relationship often means that the person is so because they are unable to sustain one due to personal issues or don't want one or any number of reasons that make them unsuitable for one in the future.  You may not be one of those but if so it's just math and probability that if so you would be in the minority.  And a lot of people aren't willing to scratch the surface to find that out, unfortunately.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well never being in a long term relationship often means that the person is so because they are unable to sustain one due to personal issues or don't want one or any number of reasons that make them unsuitable for one in the future.  You may not be one of those but if so it's just math and probability that if so you would be in the minority.  And a lot of people aren't willing to scratch the surface to find that out, unfortunately.

Very well said.

• Love 3
On 3/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, gonecrackers said:

People get together all the time who have issues, but, they choose each other. It could be a disaster, or not I guess, but people with issues thrown together in this type of situation is a recipe for disaster. How many people who sign up for this won't have issues though...

Where are the experts all of a sudden?  Out to lunch?  You have newly marrieds that are having issues all over the place and no expert to be seen.  You have a religious one who goes by the book, a hotsy totsy sex therapist who’s needed ASAP, and a phd who’s slept with practically everyone on the planet.  They’re useless anyhow. Fire them.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Congrats to you because you seem to be very happy.  Life is about living on your own terms, so good on you!

• Love 10
On 3/10/2021 at 9:22 PM, Crashcourse said:

Yeah, I like Ryan but I thought the motivation speech was too much.   Clara chowing down on those donuts didn't help matters. 

Truthfully, I think she doesn’t care what he thinks anymore.  She’s not getting what she wants, so eats donuts in front of him.  He probably wanted a “ pure” woman for a wife.  He’s very particular with everything.  She blabbed about all the men she’s had.  He probably didn’t care for that.  Again, the experts screwed up.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, unfortunately, people making assumptions on another persons character without all the information will continue to lead to a lot of single people out there. Especially this day and age when people are more worried about hustling and working than anything else. 

There used to be a time when it was assumed you have to have kids by this age. Married by that age. Not to say that people don't live by those norms now but it's far less of thing these days. People have other goals. Some people focus on certain things but don't care about others.

Its also like the overreaction to someone never saying I love you before. Again, why have they not said it before? A lot of these things are non issues unless you make them that way. I don't need someone with a whole bunch of long term relationships in the same way I don't need someone throwing around in in love with you with ease. It COULD be an issue just like many other things but disqualifying immediately to me is not something I would do.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Where are the experts all of a sudden?  Out to lunch?  You have newly marrieds that are having issues all over the place and no expert to be seen.  You have a religious one who goes by the book, a hotsy totsy sex therapist who’s needed ASAP, and a phd who’s slept with practically everyone on the planet.  They’re useless anyhow. Fire them.

Oh Cal has been there. He hasn't done or said anything helpful that I can recall, but he's been there. They might all be better off figuring it out on their own.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Declaring RyRy as the new Iris.

SidePart is very persnickety about his food, his living space, the way he is filmed for the show...

I don't blame him one bit for being circumspect about what is shared/seen on camera - maybe he did his homework and watched how the show screwed people over with manipulative editing........

I think it's kind of a double standard that he's getting called out for not having sex but Haley and Paige are getting flamed for doing it.  His own wife is giving him crap about it. You would think someone who (by her own admission) is terrible at picking decent men would want to be patient and see how this goes, especially since it's a "legally binding marriage" and not just some random dude she can ghost (or who will ghost her).

He's very regimented in his lifestyle, but I would prefer someone like that to a messy slob who doesn't work out or care about health. It's also not his fault that he was matched with someone who is in many ways not a good match for him. Being cautious and taking time to work out if it's something he can live with long term is actually a better choice, for both him and Clara, whether she understands that or not......

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

SidePart is very persnickety about his food, his living space, the way he is filmed for the show...

Someone pull a beverage out of his refrigerator during a party and let's see what happens...

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Dr. Viviana and/or one of the others said that they visit with the couples earlier and more often than what ends up on screen. For example, they called a meeting with Amelia after she mentioned going on the show for fun.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/14/2021 at 5:27 PM, gonecrackers said:

People get together all the time who have issues, but, they choose each other. It could be a disaster, or not I guess, but people with issues thrown together in this type of situation is a recipe for disaster. How many people who sign up for this won't have issues though...

Yep.  Everyone has some sort of issues, some annoying, some tolerable.  Blind dates would be better.  You could get a feel what the person is like.  I doubt any of these will make it .  Everything is bothering them already.  I have no idea why they were matched in the first place.  Just because the experts have degrees doesn’t mean squat.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Clara has not learned that jumping in too fast with sex and saying I Love You have been problems for her in the past.

I do see that as a pattern, the "that's not how my relationships usually work" or "he/she isn't my usual type".  Well, yeah.  That wasn't working for you or you wouldn't be on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Totally agree.  Clara has not learned that jumping in too fast with sex and saying I Love You have been problems for her in the past.

Clarabelle's MO is to be quick on the draw with sex and the ILYs...

Dudes don't know what hit them and wander around in a sex daze or start chewing their arm off the escape her clutches....

She is flummoxed by SidePart's game of stiff arming her...but she is chipping away at his resolve by performing alternative bed sheet delights.

Clara has her eye on the prize of the Consummate Consummation.

Stay tuned.....

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, lh25 said:

I do see that as a pattern, the "that's not how my relationships usually work" or "he/she isn't my usual type".  Well, yeah.  That wasn't working for you or you wouldn't be on the show.

Yeah, and why tell Ryan?  She scared the crap out of him.  People do not like to be pressured.  Especially so early in the game.  No wonder he is taking his time.  I don’t think he’s interested in her, for sure now.  He needs a partner who is a little more quiet, like him, who doesn’t blab right off the bat.  She’s too much for him .. maybe.  To boot she said she’s had men all colors of the rainbow.  That probably went over him like a lead balloon.  What guy wants to hear that?  A wife especially.  She reveals too much.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 3/16/2021 at 12:09 PM, gonecrackers said:

Oh Cal has been there. He hasn't done or said anything helpful that I can recall, but he's been there. They might all be better off figuring it out on their own.

Cal .. I don’t even know what the heck he’s talking about most of the time.  A lot of jibber jabber.  When he leaves, I think “say what”?  “Come again”?   Another blowhard.  I want to hear him say just once “dump the jerk”.

• Love 5
On 3/10/2021 at 6:52 PM, gonecrackers said:

Vinny was hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, & cranky. The producers have recycled Dallas Dave.

I thought of him too! WHAT is it about dance classes that's these guys' kryptonite?? 😂 Is it the gross sweating? Is it not getting the dance moves? They try to be a good sport & participate & it ALWAYS crashes & burns. What type of guys are these? Uptight? Perfectionist? Insecure? I'd be fine if they quit cuz of sweat, that's understandable. But, if it's the dance moves, that's bad. Do they make themselves sweat cuz they're nervous & frustrated? 😅

• LOL 1
On 3/10/2021 at 8:03 PM, Adeejay said:

Any doubt I had that this show is scripted, went out the window when the producers told Paige to go back and have a conversation with Chris.

Ha! EVERYONE should be told to be REAL with their spouse!! They're so open with producers, ON CAMERA, & say none of that stuff to their spouse's face! Paige acts completely different with Hypochris, she should tell him she's over his BS!! Then again, she doesn't mean it. 😂

On 3/10/2021 at 10:39 PM, Ilovepie said:

I can’t figure Erik and Virginia out. On paper they make zero sense. Straight laced conservative guy with wild alcoholic lady. Yet here we have our second set of “I love you” being said tonight!

Absolutely ABSURD!! More like, "I love you.... so far." They don't even know each other!  I hope it doesn't come back to bite them. 😅

• Love 2

I should've known better!! They always exclude religion in that way, WHY would I think they went to church? 😂 A donut date with wrinkled table covering, how sweet! 😉 Nice gesture from Ryan, but not the right time for a deep talk about purpose & I'm with Clara: working to pay the bills. That's drive enough! Purpose is overrated & totally a guy thing.

So Hypochris contacted his wife to meet to call out her meeting with Pastor Dwight? That's all! 😂 He's such a PUNK!! I CAN'T!!!! He has ALL the power, it's DISGUSTING that she's done that to herself!! He keeps wasting her time BECAUSE SHE ALLOWS HIM TO!! So over this bs!!

• Love 1
On 3/12/2021 at 8:59 AM, Yeah No said:

I don't see that anyone has a "right to be angry" to the extent that Jake has taken it with Haley if someone doesn't find them attractive.  He has treated her like he is entitled to her liking him "that way" and I just can't get on board with that, especially when he does it with anger and sour grapes towards her.  I don't think anyone on this show has a right to expect that just because the person married them they owe them finding them attractive. 

Yup. No one has the right to expect the person that has sex with them to actually be attracted to them!! How dare they believe that!! FOOLS!! 😂😂

On 3/13/2021 at 2:56 PM, gonecrackers said:
On 3/13/2021 at 1:40 PM, Yeah No said:

Who could blame her for not calling him when he is so oppressive and negative with her all the time?  I wouldn't blame her for wanting to get away from him after all the angry vibes he sends her way, plus the awkward silences. 

I don't think there were any big issues with them prior to this. Awkward silences are a bit suspicious on this show, but maybe; or maybe editing. We just don't know for sure. Still what she did was rude, & made whatever issues they may have already had, worse.

EXACTLY!! TIMING!! BEFORE that incident, it appeared they were going right along with the program, things were fine (to him, at least). He changed AFTER his poor reaction. She isn't blameless. Apparently, CONSIDERATION & EXPLANATION is too much to ask of a new, stranger spouse. 😂 She should've updated him, he should've reacted better to what happened, & she should've apologized & taken responsibility for not informing him. They're reacting poorly & driving each other farther apart.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Lindz said:

Yup. No one has the right to expect the person that has sex with them to actually be attracted to them!! How dare they believe that!! FOOLS!! 😂😂

I doubt Jake considered how much he liked Haley before he jumped in the sack with her either.  He has never acted like he likes one thing about her.  But oh, she's OK to have sex with, I guess.....NOT.  He expects a whole lot from her that he isn't even giving himself.  If he really liked her he would never act like that to her after only a few days of knowing her, no matter her somewhat less than interested behavior.  If he liked her and had any confidence in himself at all he would have tried to woo her into coming around.  But he's too busy sticking to his victim narrative to think he might get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I doubt Jake considered how much he liked Haley before he jumped in the sack with her either.  He has never acted like he likes one thing about her.  But oh, she's OK to have sex with, I guess.....NOT.  He expects a whole lot from her that he isn't even giving himself.  If he really liked her he would never act like that to her after only a few days of knowing her, no matter her somewhat less than interested behavior.  If he liked her and had any confidence in himself at all he would have tried to woo her into coming around.  But he's too busy sticking to his victim narrative to think he might get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

On Unfiltered he said he wasn't attracted to her right at the wedding, but, that afterward that began to change for him. He's also stated to her that he has no idea how to "woo" her given she doesn't want him near her & doesn't show any interest in him - looking through him & he's not in the room as he mentioned.  You can't woo someone who doesn't want to be wooed. 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On 3/16/2021 at 1:47 PM, Ilovepie said:

I think it's kind of a double standard that he's getting called out for not having sex but Haley and Paige are getting flamed for doing it.  His own wife is giving him crap about it. You would think someone who (by her own admission) is terrible at picking decent men would want to be patient and see how this goes, especially since it's a "legally binding marriage" and not just some random dude she can ghost (or who will ghost her).

I disagree - I think they are completely different scenarios - Ryan is holding back, IMO, to see if he sees a future with her before giving it up.  Haley is getting "flamed" for doing it and then not understanding why Jake either expects more, or feels rejected and hurt.  She would have been wiser to take Ryan's route.  As for Paige getting "flamed" - need I explain why? 😄