Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Culture and Tradition

• Start Topic

(edited)

Few countries on the planet rival Scotland when it comes to proud tradition. Despite centuries of British rule, remote rural communities persist in ancient rituals of craft, language and storytelling. Sam and Graham will roll their sleeves up and take part in some of the traditions that have shaped Scottish culture.

Promo:

Original air date: 3/14/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I enjoyed this one. Felt less choppy/rushed than the others, or maybe I’m just adjusting my expectations. Lol. Loved the first segment at Stewart Christie, their work looks amazing.  And still using original scissors! 😲 

I also liked the herb segment (what are the odds that her name was Claire?😃). I just wish they hadn’t cut her off when they asked if the medicinal knowledge we have today would have been known back in the 18th century. I was interested in the answer, but Sam interrupted her.  I did feel bad for him and those darn midges earlier. Those suckers seem maddening.  

I’m sure they just scratched the surface on culture & tradition but in general I thought it was a nice and interesting episode. 

Edited by Beeyago
  • Love 1

I agree that the flow of this episode was better which made it more enjoyable. Those tweed suits looked so soft but polished. I also really liked the segment with the herbalist. I would have liked to hear more from her.

The sheepherding section seemed like it was purely for the obligatory pratfall segment of the week, but it was fun to see the dogs running around.

When they mentioned Outlander during the Gaelic lesson, I thought that is the kind of tie-in that I don't mind because it's not just random quotes for the sake of showing Outlander. Learning that they learned their Gaelic phonetically for the show was interesting, as was finding out that Graham's six page speech had to be written in huge letters since it was a lot to memorize and he couldn't wear his glasses. That's the way I'd like to have them mention the show rather than just inserting random clips.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I agree that the flow of this episode was better which made it more enjoyable. Those tweed suits looked so soft but polished. I also really liked the segment with the herbalist. I would have liked to hear more from her.

The sheepherding section seemed like it was purely for the obligatory pratfall segment of the week, but it was fun to see the dogs running around.

When they mentioned Outlander during the Gaelic lesson, I thought that is the kind of tie-in that I don't mind because it's not just random quotes for the sake of showing Outlander. Learning that they learned their Gaelic phonetically for the show was interesting, as was finding out that Graham's six page speech had to be written in huge letters since it was a lot to memorize and he couldn't wear his glasses. That's the way I'd like to have them mention the show rather than just inserting random clips.

Yes! Completely agree with everything. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Now that does sound interesting! Can’t wait to see it tomorrow night! 

• Love 1

Agree with everything above.  A fun episode and really interesting and informative.  I really wanted to learn more about every stop they made - the suits, the herbs, the Gaelic.  I have complete garden envy over the stop with the herbalist.  It was fascinating.  The sheep herders were good sports and seemed to be having a lot of fun with it.  

Throughout the series, I've been obsessed with the whisky glasses they use at the end of almost every episode.  I watch while I'm on the treadmill and wearing earbuds, and the sound the glasses make when they "clink" together is brilliant.  I've spent probably too much time late at night learning about whisky glasses, but "the more you know", right?  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Agree with everything above.  A fun episode and really interesting and informative.  I really wanted to learn more about every stop they made - the suits, the herbs, the Gaelic.  I have complete garden envy over the stop with the herbalist.  It was fascinating.  The sheep herders were good sports and seemed to be having a lot of fun with it.  

Throughout the series, I've been obsessed with the whisky glasses they use at the end of almost every episode.  I watch while I'm on the treadmill and wearing earbuds, and the sound the glasses make when they "clink" together is brilliant.  I've spent probably too much time late at night learning about whisky glasses, but "the more you know", right?  

You can order yourself some whisky glasses like that, one of my gf’s got some, to drink her Sassenach! 

• Love 1

Sam “I am totally confident about this! “ Next thing he’s falling on his face! 😂😂

Enjoyed this episode very much! 

SassAndSnacks Sam had his side part on for you! 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

You can order yourself some whisky glasses like that, one of my gf’s got some, to drink her Sassenach! 

I'm looking for some!  I was trying to find a local shop that carried them, but that hasn't worked out so well.  

10 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Sam “I am totally confident about this! “ Next thing he’s falling on his face!

For me, the sheep herding section was so funny.  I grew up on a farm and whenever we'd have friends come over, they would always want to "help." It was always hilarious, and this was a similar scenario.  

10 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

Sam had his side part on for you! 

I nearly swooned.  Nearly...

• Love 1

And the midges were driving Sam crazy, but the woman teacher was unfazed even though she was surrounded! I can relate to this as we have mosquitos, & they usually don’t even bite me ( do I taste bad?) but they love my hubby. Sam must be yummy! 

14 minutes ago, SassAndSnacks said:

She was all business and had no time for their shenanigans.    It had to have been something Sam was wearing...soap, cologne, hair product? 

I was surprised Sam sat there for as long as he did! 

They didn't seem to be bothering Graham either, who was sitting right next to Sam😁

He complains about them filming Outlander too.  Supposedly they get under his wig.  They must like his sweat. LOL

Edited by Beeyago
  • LOL 1
On 3/17/2021 at 2:15 PM, Beeyago said:

They must like his sweat. LOL

This is probably true.  There is a theory that mosquitos are more attracted to people with one blood type than to others. This would explain why there are some people who just get eaten alive when they are outside and some who are untroubled.  (I fall in the "eaten alive" category.)  So I'm guessing midges have a preference too.  Either that or Sam was wearing an aftershave that they liked.

Well, that was fun and I particularly enjoyed the sheepherding segment for two reasons.

1. Once upon a time I took a fabulous six-week vacation to New Zealand.  NZ (like Scotland) has more sheep than people.  So one day I visited a sheep station and saw them demonstrate sheep herding with dogs and also sheep shearing.  Ah . . . memories of possibly the best vacation I ever took.
  2. One of my favorite YouTube channels is the one belonging to an Irish shepherd named Suzanna Crampton.  She's around my age and -- unless I'm missing something -- she single-handedly runs the family sheep farm she inherited, with only the assistance of her pack of dogs, the occasional visit from the vet, and the professional shearer she calls in once a year.  One of her websites is devoted to her "sheepdogs," -- a.k.a. "The World's Smallest Sheepdogs" -- which look a lot like chihuahuas mixed with some kind of small hound (possibly a Dachshund).  Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy her videos so it was with her in mind that I particularly enjoyed the sheep-herding portions of this episode.  If you want to check her out you can find her at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7bTqqDRDow

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

This is probably true.  There is a theory that mosquitos are more attracted to people with one blood type than to others. This would explain why there are some people who just get eaten alive when they are outside and some who are untroubled.  (I fall in the "eaten alive" category.)  So I'm guessing midges have a preference too.  Either that or Sam was wearing an aftershave that they liked.

Well, that was fun and I particularly enjoyed the sheepherding segment for two reasons.

1. Once upon a time I took a fabulous six-week vacation to New Zealand.  NZ (like Scotland) has more sheep than people.  So one day I visited a sheep station and saw them demonstrate shepherding with dogs and also sheep shearing.  Ah . . . memories of possibly the best vacation I ever took.
  2. One of my favorite YouTube channels is the one belonging to an Irish shepherd named Suzanna Crampton.  She's around my age and -- unless I'm missing something -- she runs the family sheep farm she inherited single-handedly with only the assistance of her pack of dogs, the occasional visit from the vet, and the professional shearer she calls in once a year.  One of her websites is devoted to her "sheepdogs," -- a.k.a. "The World's Smallest Sheepdogs" -- which look a lot like chihuahuas mixed with some kind of small hound.  Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy her videos so it was with her in mind that I enjoyed the sheepherding portions of this episode.  If you want to check her out you can find her at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7bTqqDRDow

Sheepdogs are amaaaazing! I’m always dumbfounded when I see them in action, but I’ve never seen them in person.  I was slightly freaked out though when they were shearing with those huge old style shears. Yeowza😱 Lol

Aww! I loved that video you linked😀

• Love 2

Sheepdogs are amaaaazing!

They are indeed.  Border Collies, even if untrained, are natural herders.  My sister had an untrained BC and he would just naturally herd anything around:  chicken's and even the cat.