Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
deaja

Oprah with Harry and Meghan: A CBS Primetime Special

2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I call BS that Meghan didn’t know she was supposed to curtsy to the queen.

Eeh, I get her thinking that all that pageantry is just for when you are out in public.  Harry talks about his grandmother using pet names and it sounds like it's a normal family at home.  I wouldn't expect that things would be super formal behind the scenes (that was even a plot on The Crown with Diana who was titled).

• Like 24

2 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

Archie will be the grandchild of the King.

Yes, and when Archie is the grandchild of the monarch, instead of the great-grandchild of the monarch, the rules for his title change.  But he is not the grandchild of the monarch yet.  

• Like 13
  • Useful 5

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Except she made a very clear distinction at the beginning of her naivete.  She thought the pageantry was reserved for formal presentations to The Queen (capital letters)  not a private meeting with her fiance's grandmother.

This will be ignored by the gutter press tomorrow you can just guarantee it.

• Like 18

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

Except she made a very clear distinction at the beginning of her naivete.  She thought the pageantry was reserved for formal presentations to The Queen (capital letters)  not a private meeting with her fiance's grandmother.

But even without that, she wasn't a citizen of the Commonwealth (or whatever); even if it's the polite thing to do, I thought it wasn't required for non-citizens.

• Like 14
  • Laugh 2

22 minutes ago, Arkay said:

Meghan seems popular on this forum, but I'm giving her the side-eye. She seems very hung up on Archie not being a prince, and I think she's incorrect that all the queen's grandchildren and great-grandchildren have those titles. I think Princess Anne and Prince Edward's children are not princes and princesses, and those are the queen's grandchildren. I don't think Eugenie's newborn is a prince, and he's a great-grandchild. 

I understand the need for Archie to have security, but these are stunningly wealthy  people who can certainly afford their own security force. 

Thanks, needed to be said. 

• Like 22

Harry is coming off as a real prince right now.  Standing by his wife is hot. . . .

• Like 23

Asshole Piers Morgan is going to go nuts tomorrow morning.  Bonkers. 

• Like 14
  • Laugh 3

2 minutes ago, Trini said:

But even without that, she wasn't a citizen of the Commonwealth (or whatever); even if it's the polite thing to do, I thought it wasn't required for non-citizens.

It isn't.  Royal protocols are very strict about what one does and does not do but one thing that has been noted anywhere I've ever checked is that non-british women are NOT expected to curtsy.

• Like 6
  • Useful 6

1 minute ago, Trini said:

And it was a casual meeting. I too thought you’d only curtsy in a formal setting. The meeting as I understand was unplanned.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Calvada said:

LOL - Meghan's an American citizen.  We fought a war almost 250 years ago so that we don't have to bow or curtsy to a monarch!  

She also lived in Canada for 7 years. Just because she’s a US citizen doesn’t mean she isn’t supposed to curtsy. And Harry should have taught her what was expected. 

• Like 19

Harry talking about his shitty Dad is heartbreaking. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 4

Yikes! Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls. SMH. Sad, but not surprising considering how he treated Diana. 

• Like 8
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 23

4 minutes ago, freddi said:

Agree.  She lived on social media and the internet.  C'mon, we Google a guy we have drinks with!

It's not uncommon for people in Hollywood to avoid what is being said about them in the press for their mental health and to have an understanding that everything isn't as reported.  I'd expect that she is one of those people.  Had her assistant deal with her social media so she didn't need to deal with the haters.

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, freddi said:

Agree.  She lived on social media and the internet.  C'mon, we Google a guy we have drinks with!

Also, even if you have an audience with the Queen for a minute, you get a protocol guide, usually written, but sometimes emphasized in person.  The Palace would never have let her near the Queen without a training session or ten.  And this is for the Queen's sake, not Meghan's!  

This doesn’t necessarily apply when it’s her grandson having an impromptu meeting. 

• Like 9

Just now, Enero said:

Yikes! Prince Charles stopped taking Harry’s calls. SMH. Sad, but not surprising considering how he treated Diana. 

Supports my theory upthread that Chucky is the one who had those horrible talks representing The Firm with Harry. Racist ol' Philip wouldn't have had the energy. 

• Like 14

Just now, meatball77 said:

It's not uncommon for people in Hollywood to avoid what is being said about them in the press for their mental health and to have an understanding that everything isn't as reported.  I'd expect that she is one of those people.  Had her assistant deal with her social media so she didn't need to deal with the haters.

Yep. And even in the interview it sounded like she was hearing about a lot of the stuff that was said  in the media from her friends and Mom.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Trini said:

Not that racism makes sense, but Meghan's one shade away from white-passing, and Harry's a redhead. C'mon, now.

It only takes one drop.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, Enero said:

I was surprised by this.  My impression had always been that whatever his issues with Diana, he was generally a decent parent to his kids. 

• Like 24

And we have our answer to who the problem is.  The queen was lovely, Phillip stopped taking his son's calls. We haven't heard a word about William. . .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Supports my theory upthread that Chucky is the one who had those horrible talks representing The Firm with Harry. Racist ol' Philip wouldn't have had the energy. 

He's being held up with puppet strings right now. . . . .

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

6 minutes ago, Trini said:

?

That's exactly what it means.

Before the marriage (which of course at first meeting it was), you are entirely correct. 

Anyone implying she's puppeteering Harry is going have to pretend hard after this part on right now. He's bringing it FAR harder than Meghan did. 

They're just going to say she "corrupted" him. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, meatball77 said:

I just meant she would have Googled a famous person asking her out.  

• Like 7

Just now, freddi said:

I just meant she would have Googled a famous person asking her out.  

But she was a famous person.  Solid C list but still a famous person who had famous friends.  She wasn't a college girl from Wisconsin

• Like 3

Seems love is conditional in the royal family and is only given if you toe the line. Not surprised they ran.

On a lighter note, Harry fiddles with his ring and I think it's cute.

• Like 20

Just now, Snow Apple said:

Seems love is conditional in the royal family and is only given if you toe the line. Not surprised they ran.

On a lighter note, Harry fiddles with his ring and I think it's cute.

This interview is making him seem far more attractive than he had before.

• Like 13

I don't doubt for a moment that Philip could say something racist, but I don't think Meghan would say that it would be too damaging for it to come out if it was 99 year old, one step from death Philip.  People would probably act without surprise, because he's said racist things in the past. 

• Like 14

She interrupted Harry.  She's EEEEEEEEEEVIL and pushy.  See?  They got proof! 

Heh. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

12 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I was surprised by this.  My impression had always been that whatever his issues with Diana, he was generally a decent parent to his kids. 

In the past, he did several publicity stunts that put the boys in a bad light to get good press for himself. I think he loves his boys but also loves positive press.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I don't doubt for a moment that Philip could say something racist, but I don't think Meghan would say that it would be too damaging for it to come out if it was 99 year old, one step from death Philip.  People would probably act without surprise, because he's said racist things in the past. 

Also most of us have at least one racist very elderly relative in the family.  Those who don't, count yourselves lucky!  This isn't to excuse them but you know you aren't going to change them at this point - a parent in their 70s however wouldn't get the same pass.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 11

This interview. Whew! This definitely was not what many thought it would be. 

Harry saying he and his family were/are trapped in that institution. SMH. Not surprising but it will be explosive in the UK. The tabloid backlash from the RF is gone be ugly. SMH. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

Just now, deaja said:

In the past, he did several publicity stunts that put the boys in a bad light to get good press for himself. I think he loves his boys but also loves positive press.

Yes

This is also upperclass British family.  He moved away from home when he was EIGHT to go to boarding school.  So as good a father as Charles was he stopped parenting on a day to day basis before his kids had their personalities formed (and I imagine they spent a lot of their non school time with their mother before she died.  Then after he finished boarding school he joined the military and got himself (willingly) deployed.  I'm sure Charles loves his kids but if you send your kids away to boarding school at eight you're just not going to have the same sort of relationship with your kids as someone who parents traditionally (it'll be interesting to see when William sends George away).

• Like 17

This interview. Whew! This definitely was not what many thought it would be. 

Harry saying he and his family were/are trapped in that institution. SMH. Not surprising but it will be explosive in the UK. The tabloid backlash from the RF is gone be ugly. SMH. 

I keep mentioning the Jackass, but I know the pinnacle will be that monster Piers Morgan. He's definitely bent over his computer streaming this right now, rubbing one out at the thought of how he's going to "get" Meghan in a few hours on air. 

• Like 5
  • Laugh 4
  • Sad 2

Wow. 

Pregnant pause when Harry was asked about Chucky. 

He was really parsing his words carefully after that. 

I knew the worst of this was from Charles. My gut said it immediately after the earlier stuff. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 4

Thank goodness for what Diana left him cause contrary to believe the family completely cut them off financially. 

Things are still rough with Charles and sounds like William too.  This is so sad. I knew there was a rift in the family because of this. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 11

It's true Charles and William are trapped. I'm sure Charles would be perfectly happy working as an environmentalist and marry Camila as a young man. But for Harry to say it out loud. Yikes!

You know they will blame Megan for Harry's estrangement with his father.

• Like 17
  • Sad 2

Things are still rough with Charles and sounds like William too.  This is so sad. I knew there was a rift in the family because of this. 

It sounds like things with Charles are worse than with William, which doesn't surprise me.

• Like 16

Pleasantly surprised that they’ve been in more in contact with the Queen than all the others in the family. That’s good. Disappointed about Charles letting him down though. You’d think he would have been more understanding because of his own experience with Camilla but I guess not. That sucks.

Neither of them have said anything bad about Will and Kate and yet people on Twitter are still drawing their own conclusions. Yeah it does sound like there is tension but siblings grow apart and all this mess didn’t help matters, I’m sure.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 17
  • Sad 2

Just now, dubbel zout said:

It sounds like things with Charles are worse than with William, which doesn't surprise me.

It surprised me!  I don't really read much royal news though so I guess I was still thinking back to the wedding when Charles walked Meghan down the aisle and seemed so kind to her mother.  I'd like to think his behavior then was the real Charles but I am thinking, no, it probably wasn't.

• Like 8
  • Sad 12