Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: I've Got This

• Start Topic

I'd really, really like to know when Randall's family treated his home like a Ramada Inn. 

I think the writers got together and decided, "Beth's been too perfect. Let's have her make bad decisions for a change."

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Why isn't Malik talking to his own parents about this?

Because his parents hate Jennifer (they had to fight for custody so the baby wouldn't be put up for adoption) and will be highly opposed to her involvement.

6 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'd really, really like to know when Randall's family treated his home like a Ramada Inn. 

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, Kevin did live in the basement for a while...

Yeah, she's talking about their previous home, where William and Kevin both stayed a while.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20

Annie was walking away from the dinner like “I’m the only one at dinner who doesn’t have a problem with ANYBODY.”

Toby has pride issues, and I wonder if that is part of the reason we don’t see Kate in the future. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 18

I'm going to be bothered by the usual-there's no way that Beth and Randall have an extra bedroom, so are Tess and Annie going to share indefinitely so that Grandma can stay?  There's nothing wrong with kids sharing, but they previously weren't, and Tess is so much older than Annie, and with a real personal life, so she'd probably really resent Grandma.  And I doubt Deja and Tess sharing would work any better.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 12
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

“Back” to work? Since when has Kate ever actually worked? Kevin paid her to run his errands then she tried to be a singer and got snippy every time she didn’t get a job. Am I missing a few things from her resume?

She also worked for that woman where she had to drive the daughter somewhere and kicked her out of the car.

2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Another issue that bugs:  Toby taking care of Hailey during a very important job interview.  When Kate signed Jack up for music class, she knew she'd have 2 kids (they waited months for Haley to be born) and assumed that Toby would be at work, so wouldn't she have a double stroller and the expectation that she would have to take the baby with her?  Yeah, it's more difficult, but why risk that Toby won't get a job because it looks like he'll be distracted by watching his daughter during working hours?  Or at least "splurge" on a babysitter. 

I was wondering about that too. I have had conference calls where someone's kid started crying in the background, but that is people who already had the job. For an interview, Kate should have taken Haley or stayed home.  What if Haley started screaming and Toby had to step away from the interview?

Also, does anyone actually put on a tie but not bother with pants for Zoom calls? At least a pair of sweats? I know it looks funny, but I can't really believe that.

• Love 23
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, Kevin did live in the basement for a while...

There is also William moving in too. 

Kate had a job singing at parties. 

I have a brother in law. He and his sister will need my help when they buy their first home. I am happy to assist but I would never offer any further help. I think it’s implied. If they want more help, they can ask me. Kevin going behind Toby’s back is wrong, in my view. Both Kate and Toby are the parents. 

I thought Miguel would give Jack cash for the restaurant tab. 

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

Kevin going behind Toby’s back is wrong, in my view. Both Kate and Toby are the parents. 

I think Kevin was worried about a desperate situation.  It also might be foreshadowing that something truly dreadful will happen.

4 minutes ago, memememe76 said:

I thought Miguel would give Jack cash for the restaurant tab. 

I doubt that Jack would take it.  He's very proud.  But Miguel surely felt awful about it.

At least we didn't have the trope where Jack's card was declined.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Another issue that bugs:  Toby taking care of Hailey during a very important job interview.  When Kate signed Jack up for music class, she knew she'd have 2 kids (they waited months for Haley to be born) and assumed that Toby would be at work, so wouldn't she have a double stroller and the expectation that she would have to take the baby with her?  Yeah, it's more difficult, but why risk that Toby won't get a job because it looks like he'll be distracted by watching his daughter during working hours?  Or at least "splurge" on a babysitter. 

They might not want to hire a sitter during a pandemic.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I liked Kate calling her mom at the end; finally Rebecca gets the credit she deserves!

Despite Kate and Toby seeming to be on the same page at the end, I’m sure there will be more tension about this. Could explain why they’re apart in the flash-forward. 

I laughed at Beth saying that Randall’s family has treated their house like a Ramada Inn, because yeah. Now that Beth’s mom is staying, Randall’s going to be spending a lot more time with his new friend the basil plant.

Hey, Uncle Nicky! 

• Love 18

I guess Randall moved William in out of nowhere, so now its Beth's turn. At least they actually know this relative, but considering William stayed with them until he died, Randall better get comfy out on that balcony with his basil friends...

How long has Toby been out of work? I feel like not much time has passed, don't they have savings to dip into until he finds something else? The job hunt does suck, especially now with COVID, but I would think if Toby was making decent money before they would be alright for a bit until he finds something else. Toby not wanting to take anything from Kevin out of pride sounds in character, although hopefully he can move past it. He has two babies, one of which has special needs, no job, and a super rich brother in law who wants to help out, just let him buy you something nice as a present for Hailey or something. Kevin could have read the room better, but he was really just trying to help. Kevin and Randall are definitely both "I show you I care through gifts" people so this all seems like a normal way to show your family you love them for him. He was even getting shity about Kate working, although he got over that quickly. Talking about money with family is always awkward, especially when they are in different income brackets. I do wonder if Kevin asking Kate to ask him if she needs anything will come back later, it sounded like he was saying this was just in case of emergency. Maybe Toby or one of the babies needs emergency medical help and Kevin pays the bill? I get why Toby was feeling bad and annoyed at Kevin, but he was needlessly dickish, especially dragging Madison into it and getting pissed at him for being "condescending" and Kevin is many things, but condescending is not one of them. Although I guess he isnt wrong that he is the one with an actual career, I remember Kate being Kevin's assistant, where she was pretty much paid to be around, a singer for a few days where she sang at some parties, and driving an overweigh teen around for an episode and they were both angsty about being overweight. I guess now she can be a teachers aid? 

So the themes of the episode were babies, money, and awkward diners? Poor Tess and Annie, their living situation changes every five minutes because of their parents various issues. No wonder Tess feels like she cant talk to her mom an Annie is always just peacing out to go be chill. No wonder Annie has always gotten along with Kevin, she's basically a quieter less angry kid Kevin. Well, less angry for now anyway. Of course Randall takes this situation with Malik's baby momma and makes it all about his mom issues. Deja will be super pissed if they get back together, and I can see why she thinks its weird that her dad and her boyfriend are pals. Especially as she is still getting used to being a part of the family. 

The call between Kate and Rebecca was really sweet. And now Uncle Nicky!

Thank God Kevin said no to the compound. This family doesent need to be anymore like a cult than it already is. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 14
18 hours ago, PRgal said:

They might not want to hire a sitter during a pandemic.  

Agreed, so take Hailey to the music class.

I do feel better that the girls weren't left alone while Beth and Randall were in Louisiana.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 7
27 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

“Back” to work? Since when has Kate ever actually worked? Kevin paid her to run his errands then she tried to be a singer and got snippy every time she didn’t get a job. Am I missing a few things from her resume?

I was just thinking that I can't believe Toby lost his job, I can't recall even seeing him go to work ! In fact, it seems like the only one we ever see working , out of everyone in the current time frame, is Kevin. And Randall every now & then. But they all seem to be at home an awful lot. Apparently, that's where all the drama is ( and so much drama !! )

• LOL 11
  • Love 2

This episode had a few issues and watching attacks of male pride on screen isn't usually my thing, I still enjoyed it for the most part. I had just finished a dull, stupid new episode of NCIS so this was like Shakespeare in comparison. Speaking of NCIS, that little shout out conversation about it had me rolling. Mark Harmon IS a dreamboat..:-)

I did love that Kate/Becca talk at the end. It sounds like something my mom would say....All in all, I can live with this episode. It won't be in my top 5 but it held my attention.

• Love 17

I’m so sick of Jack and Rebecca. Miguel gave Jack an out to avoid paying, but nope, Jack had to be an idiot about it. And, oooooh, look at Rebecca stepping up to handle the finances! Was I supposed to be impressed by that?

I have been thinking what Deja said to Randall all season! He cares more about Malik than his three daughters.

I’m surprised Kate is actually getting a job. And there was a throwaway line about her getting her degree. I guess that one class a few seasons ago was all she needed!

We saw one of those birthday parties that Kate remembered so fondly a few seasons ago, and Kate was miserable.

I have always hated Toby, and I continue to hate Toby.

Edited by Jeddah
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
15 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

How long has Toby been out of work? I feel like not much time has passed, don't they have savings to dip into until he finds something else?

They do have savings. Toby said he was trying to avoid dipping into it.

He's being a huge drama queen for someone who hasn't even touched his savings yet.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I’m so sick of Jack and Rebecca. Miguel gave Jack an out to avoid paying, but nope, Jack had to be an idiot about it. And, oooooh, look at Rebecca stepping up to handle the finances! Was I supposed to be impressed by that?

I have been thinking what Deja said to Randall all season! He cares more about Malik than his three daughters.

I’m surprised Kate is actually getting a job. And there was a throwaway line about her getting her degree. I guess that one class a few seasons ago was all she needed!

I have always hated Toby, and I continue to hate Toby.

I think they actually had a graduation party for Kate when she finished school.  But then they started the pregnancy storyline and didn't talk about her getting a job. We could joke a lot about Kate's past "career," but I think it's great that she got a job. It is something she said she wanted at one point, and even if it's less money than they'll need, it will still help. Plus, just because she doesn't have a career like Toby's doesn't mean she can't start one.

I wasn't impressed with Rebecca handling the finances either. I have never been married, but should both spouses be involved in that?

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Blakeston said:

They do have savings. Toby said he was trying to avoid dipping into it.

He's being a huge drama queen for someone who hasn't even touched his savings yet.

I think Toby has always been jealous of how close Kate and Kevin are.  (And of how good-looking Kevin is, dating back to when Toby was overweight.)  Now money is added to the mix with a direct comparison between the 2 households.  Thank goodness, Kevin and Madison aren't living in a fancy house.

• Love 19

See, Phylicia Rashad gets the issue with pronouns.

Part of me wanted Beth to be like: "You miss noise at your house, mom?  Take Tess.  She's the worst and we'll be fine without her for a few seasons."

And if I were Malik's parents, I'd tell Randall to mind his own business about a situation he knows little about.  Malik, Randall's birth mom was a heroin addict who died and returned to life so they could naked ghost swim.  It wasn't a teenage pregnancy where the family did not want to keep the baby.  Randall has no particular insight into your situation.  

Also, shut up Toby, and get a better early 80s wig, Miguel.  That thing was just awful.   

• LOL 19
  • Love 5

Toby seems like a lot as someone mentioned. He’s having a rough time so he has to take everyone down with him apparently and he definitely seems like the type who doesn’t like to see people succeed if he’s not. I like him overall but if were Kate I’d start watching that plus I also agree that he’s always been jealous of her relationship with Kevin - jealous of the whole family really. As a twin myself, I can relate to what Kevin was saying. I thought he was being sweet this whole episode and I like that he stood up for Madison. Can he and Randall have a conversation though? It’s been forever. I loved Kate’s call with her mom and I loved Beth’s mom. This show nails Jamaican moms. That said, I don’t love Tess - she’s never happy is she? And poor Annie, she’s going to end up with Kevin’s insecurities. I’m so excited to see Nicky. This episode didn’t really make me tear up but the trailer for next week? 😭 Him standing at the airport with the 🎁 in hand.

• Love 14

Hey Malik, how about talking to your girlfriend, whose Mom more or less walked away from her. She might just have some good input.

And whoa, I know Toby's a huge Star Wars fan, but was that actually a Grogu sighting on NBC!?!  What kind of fee did Disney get for that?!?

• Love 19
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

Hey Malik, how about talking to your girlfriend, whose Mom more or less walked away from her. She might just have some good input.

When Deja was talking about having had no one put her first, didn't Deja's grandmother put her first?  Wasn't she essentially the stabilizing force for Deja until she died? 

• Love 15
47 minutes ago, willco said:

I was just thinking that I can't believe Toby lost his job, I can't recall even seeing him go to work ! In fact, it seems like the only one we ever see working , out of everyone in the current time frame, is Kevin.

Yeah for as much shit as people (mostly Randall) give Kevin for being an actor and how cushy of a job it is, Kevin is one of the only characters on this show that is shown to consistently be working at his job. He quit his Manny job right away but he has consistently been working ever since, and working hard and trying new things as an actor and a lot of his plots surround his job. I guess Toby works offscreen, but he seems to have a lot of spare time, Kate has done a bunch of random stuff before she married Toby, Randall had a consistent job in season one but has changed his job like three times in a few years because of his various midlife crisis, and now seems to spend more time on vision quests than working as a councilman, and while Beth's dance school is off for now with COVID, I don't remember her spending a lot of time there before that anyway. I have no idea what Madison does for a living. 

• Love 18

In Toby’s defense, they did just bring home a new baby and as the sole income earner, he lost his job, during the pandemic, as Kate was coming out of the hospital. He’s hustling doing interviews and didn’t get the job he thought he had in the bag (we’ve all been there) and didn’t even have a chance to process it before Kevin started Pearsoning all over the place. Toby isn’t a lot; the situation is a lot. I think he is entitled to some leeway. I very much need to process and figure out solutions to my own problems before I can allow someone else to try to fix it for me. That’s just being a responsible adult.

ETA: I was really frustrated with Kevin not listening when Toby said no to the Snoo. And I can understand all the things that came flying out of Toby’s mouth because they were all legitimate things he was worrying about and still trying to get sorted. He wasn’t wrong about how much childcare costs and I think his concern was more about making the right financial decision than keeping Kate from doing what she says she wants to do. And Kate doesn’t have a great track record of sticking with things I don’t think..

Edited by RedDelicious
  • Love 24
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm going to be bothered by the usual-there's no way that Beth and Randall have an extra bedroom, so are Tess and Annie going to share indefinitely so that Grandma can stay?  There's nothing wrong with kids sharing, but they previously weren't, and Tess is so much older than Annie, and with a real personal life, so she'd probably really resent Grandma.  And I doubt Deja and Tess sharing would work any better.

I just realized that everyone's been doing school from home, and now that Grandma's been there, the girls don't even all have their own bedrooms to Zoom from.  I know that most of America doesn't, but they did until now.  That's an additional stressor.

• Love 11

When I was a kid I totally pictured living on a compound with my parents and my siblings and our spouses and children when we grew up. This is the second time I felt like I could really relate to Kevin and that scares me a little lol. It didn't work out like that obviously but we're still close. It made me sad to see Toby drawing a line between his family and Kevin's family. I get that each household is its own little family unit (although apparently not when it comes to covid) but I still consider my siblings my family and I would love if my kids one day had cousins their own age they could grow up with. Why wouldn't you want that experience for your children if its possible? Toby acted like cousins going on vacations together was some far-fetched thing when it's really quite common. 

The snoo conversation cracked me up. I'm currently pregnant with our first child and put a very reasonably priced bassinet on my registry as family has been asking for "a list" to choose gifts from. My sister completely disregarded said registry and sent us a snoo that just arrived yesterday. The idea of having such an expensive baby item, especially one that the baby only needs for a few months, makes me very nervous. I hate being wasteful and could never justify such a high expense on my own but my sister is very excited for us and it's something she really wanted to do.  She called about 5 times to see if her "mystery gift" arrived. It's not something I would buy personally but I happily accepted it because I know she bought it out of a place of love and joy. I get Toby's feeling down about losing his job but sometimes people just want to give you a nice gift. Choosing to look at receiving a nice gift from a loved one as an insult must be exhausting and just shows you're insecure., which Toby obviously is at the moment but it's a baby gift, he didn't have to lash out and insult Kevin and Madison for having more than him.  

I'm actually kind of interested in seeing how Beth's mom changes the dynamic in their household. I feel like things with Randall and Beth have been kind of stale so their side of things could use a shake up. Would like if they'd interact more with the rest of the Pearsons as well but I guess it makes sense they don't since they're on the opposite side of the country. 

• Love 23

I thought it was sweet when Beth's mom admitted she's lonely. I hope they're adding Phylicia Rashad to the cast for a good long run.  

I think Tess is behaving like a teenager. I think this generation in particular confounds their parents by being baffling and inspiring all in one selfish, smelly body.

I feel Toby's pain but I would kill for someone to just say I've got a safety net if it all goes to shit. I thought that would've cut his anxiety but I guess he's not wired that way. Him sitting up in bed when Kate walked in worried me a little. Losing your job and a drastic shift in circumstance can trigger depression.

I love Deja and Randall together. I hope he remembers to give his other daughters the same reassurance.

Edited by Adgirl
attempt at grammar
  • Love 14

The snoo conversation cracked me up. I'm currently pregnant with our first child and put a very reasonably priced bassinet on my registry as family has been asking for "a list" to choose gifts from. My sister completely disregarded said registry and sent us a snoo that just arrived yesterday. The idea of having such an expensive baby item, especially one that the baby only needs for a few months, makes me very nervous. I hate being wasteful and could never justify such a high expense on my own but my sister is very excited for us and it's something she really wanted to do.  She called about 5 times to see if her "mystery gift" arrived. It's not something I would buy personally but I happily accepted it because I know she bought it out of a place of love and joy.

The snoo was after my time with infants, but we were passed down one of those fancy Mammoo swings, which was lovely.  Just think of it this way - you can lend it out to your friends and get it back if you have another child, and you can eventually donate it to a friend when you are done having babies.

• Love 13

One of the (many) things that pissed me off about this episode was the way Kate announced to Toby "I took the job."

What kind of spouse makes a decision like that unilaterally?  Oh, right, a Pearson. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I think the writers got together and decided, "Beth's been too perfect. Let's have her make bad decisions for a change."

Kevin stayed and Randall's bio dad but that's it. Both times she wanted them to leave at first.

Did Kevin keep his movie job? Why all the money "this job is giving him"  The Santa part was a bit much and I kind of liked the jab at Madison and the nanny but that wasn't kind.  I see Toby not getting work, getting more depressed, Kate making little money at her teaching assistant job (hope they researched that salary, been there myself) and she takes money from Kevin and of course Toby finds out. I feel the only reason for that conversation was that ending. I'm sure it was implied in his long "I'll take care of everything speech" Sad with two young children so I hope it's not now or soon but the show is only on another year. Maybe Kevin could pull a string to get him a job?

I had twins years ago and a singleton. I didn't need or would want a Snoo. I liked the touching and rocking (well not when they'd never sleep but not often) but that is so small and so expensive and they take up more room. 1400? How does the baby transition if he or she is used to that? Well, if it helps some, that's great but the emphasize on it made it seem like another TIU sponsor moment. I'd rather see the magnified closeup of cereal. ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I think they actually had a graduation party for Kate when she finished school.  But then they started the pregnancy storyline and didn't talk about her getting a job. We could joke a lot about Kate's past "career," but I think it's great that she got a job. It is something she said she wanted at one point, and even if it's less money than they'll need, it will still help. Plus, just because she doesn't have a career like Toby's doesn't mean she can't start one.

I wasn't impressed with Rebecca handling the finances either. I have never been married, but should both spouses be involved in that?

My mom was a 60's mom and handled the finances, my aunts did, my sisters and I, so that seemed so oppressive to me. Jack is impulsive and had a drinking problem, Rebecca wasn't stupid, no reason the person who shops and buys things shouldn't pay the bills. My mom would leave my dad a list of bills paid and amounts by his cereal bowl once a month and he'd push it aside and eat his shredded wheat. He trusted she saved and squeezed every penny which she did. I really don't like how Jack acts most of the time, the speeches, the angst, but many love him, so I try to just see the good.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11