Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/8/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Mar. 8 – Arsenio Hall (“Coming 2 America”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Mar. 9 – Kenan Thompson (“Kenan”); Andrew Kaczynski and Rachel Louise Ensign

Wednesday, Mar. 10 — Eddie Murphy (“Coming 2 America”)

Thursday, Mar. 11 — Wesley Snipes (“Coming 2 America”)

Friday, Mar. 12 — Soleil Moon Frye (“Kid 90”; “Punky Brewster” reboot)

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, falltime said:

Monday, Mar. 8 – Arsenio Hall (“Coming 2 America”); “View Your Deal” with hottest items at affordable prices

Tuesday, Mar. 9 – Kenan Thompson (“Kenan”); Andrew Kaczynski and Rachel Louise Ensign

Wednesday, Mar. 10 — Eddie Murphy (“Coming 2 America”)

Thursday, Mar. 11 — Wesley Snipes (“Coming 2 America”)

I'm surprised that they are having a black actor come on each day aside from Friday. That's pretty exciting.

And Friday just warms my Sabrina the Teenage Witch heart. I wonder if Meghan will mention the show, since she would be in that age range of those who watched it.

Edited by MeThinkMeNot
  • Love 2

I don't care who's on this week, so long as Gretta Monaghan returns with 'View Your Deal' - hottest items at affordable prices! I've completely run out of flexible, recycled, over-priced drinking straws as well as eye glass readers and toiletries!

• LOL 11
2 hours ago, MeThinkMeNot said:

I came across the Punky Brewster remake last night completely by accident as I was about to shut off my tv because once again, I had nothing at all to watch.  Anyways, it didn't suck.  It was actually kind of cute.  Soleil Moon Frye was pretty great and the kids weren't too annoying.  And neither was the laugh track which is usually a guaranteed deal breaker for me.  Maybe it was because I was beaten down by all the depressing news I had just watched or maybe it was because Freddie Prinze Jr. showed up as the ex and is now a total fox, hello!, but either way, it was a bit of a pleasant surprise.

(It was on the W network here, in Canada, which is really weird because they don't air many, if any, sit-coms.)

• Love 6
11 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I think this is the first week in a long time where I have actually heard of all the guests!

Ditto. I know the View Your Deals are irresistible and the wrap-up of the show is riveting, but I usually stop watching right after hot topics if I don't know or care for a guest. I'll probably watch the majority of the episodes next week. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

WOW!

Arsenio Hall and Eddie Murphy appearing on different days to promote 'Coming 2 America'.  I watched the movie last night and all I can say is - it deserves all the 1 star reviews it's getting (yes, it was indeed THAT bad).  I bet the women are going to lie through their teeth and say it was the best film of 2021 - especially Sunny and Sara. I stuck with the whole movie hoping it would get better (it didn't), but others on social media stuck with it for about 30 minutes before changing the channel. I should've, too.

It will be interesting to see how Murphy spins all this on Wednesday.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Is it a Disney or affiliate movie?  That’s the only reason why I can see the View spending 3 days on it. Like I said in the Today Show forum, the more they push a movie, the worse you know it must be. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, LetsStartTalking said:

Arsenio Hall and Eddie Murphy appearing on different days to promote 'Coming 2 America'.  I watched the movie last night and all I can say is - it deserves all the 1 star reviews it's getting (yes, it was indeed THAT bad)

And Wesley Snipes on a third day of The View devoted to the movie. Is it as cringeworthy as the first Coming 2 America?

The first Coming to America is one of my favorite movies and one of the few I've had no issue watching multiple times. It has so many funny scenes that the laughing makes me feel better after watching it. I hate to read that this sequel apparently sucks. If there was going to be a sequel it should have been made years ago IMHO.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, deirdra said:

And Wesley Snipes on a third day of The View devoted to the movie. Is it as cringeworthy as the first Coming 2 America?

Wow - I completely missed Snipes from the schedule this week. The movie is drowning in bad reviews, so it's going to be rather interesting to watch these three - on three different days - try to save this disaster. If anything, they should have been scheduled for last week - before the movie and bad reviews came out.  (The only bright spot in the movie was comedian / actor Jermaine Fowler, who is absolutely adorable and sexy).

I just watched the 1988 original a few weeks ago. It was never my favorite movie (not by a long shot) but it was indeed a fun comedy that had a plenty of laughs. What made it so entertaining was the humor came naturally, and unexpectedly.  Not with the sequel - the humor is forced, and the laughs are sparse.

That said, I can't wait for Whoopi, Sunny and Sara to fawn all over these three and praise this movie. Joy will smirk, and MeAgain will keep her frozen face and we can sit back and enjoy.

36 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

I have never even seen the first Coming to America.  Am I missing out on anything? 

It’s a cute movie. It’s worth it for the barber shop scenes. 

• Love 7

I watched the sequel yesterday. It was pretty bad with a few exceptions here and there in regards to particular scenes. Overall I was a bit shocked and disappointed at how they tried to make some really unfunny things funny. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Dear Lord,

Please let Oprah's interview with Megan and Harry be a Hot Topic today...

Some near nuclear level bombs were dropped. They'd be fools for it not to be a segment. Actually a double segment, I'd say. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Why do I feel like Meghan's outrage over the royal situation isn't due to what Meghan Markle went through or the racism that happened, but more about how Meghan McCain doesn't like the royals and is using this as a way to stick it to them. 

I think Meghan Markle coming out is a big story, in the same way that I think Prince Diana's interview was as well. I think all of us who are not white knew they the royals were like this, but now everyone is seeing it. It's just another example of a black woman, even if she's white passing, still gets hate because of her race.

• Love 24
2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Am I the only one who did not watch the interview last night?

Nope.  I didn't watch even though I'm an Anglophile.  Quite honestly I have my doubts about much of what they say and do and am kind of tired of the whining.  If what they say is true, then I feel for them but there's something about them that makes me wonder.  If you leave partly for privacy, then be private.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agreed with Joy that my main takeaway on the Markle story being the biggest headline right now is how nice it is to be talking about something like the Royals and their family squabbling again instead of having to worry that our government might be about to be overthrown, lol. It's refreshing.

Sing it Joy! I love going to Top Stories on my news site and there is nothing about the US govt.  Nothing.  This is Canada stuff happening in the US affects us, obviously, but our top stories shouldn't always be about the US!

• Love 11
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Nope. I didn’t watch it either, for much the same reasons as Rainyhawk above. 

Edited by lurkerbee
Couldn’t figure out the multi-quote thing on my iPhone.
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I didn’t either, but did read comments last night.

Joy is very smart and educated when it comes to therapy.  I’d like to add to what she said regarding the person having the most healthy  insight goin to therapy (my words not hers).  Interestingly, when we look at a family system...the person who left the system is usually the healthiest.  It’s usually that family member who is though of as “the black sheep (sorry), the odd duck, the sibling who doesn’t care about us, etc”.  If you want to know how that family really functions,talk to that person.

• Love 23

I . . . agree with Meghan (McCain!). The culture of petty negativity (which is NOT LEGITIMATE whistleblowing) can make one's life absolute hell for reasons you feel stupid about bringing up. I've been there, AND while neither Meghan McCain nor myself can even imagine what Meghan Markle has been through, we can recognize some of the familiar beats.

• Love 2

Didn't watch but did see enough commentary to be disgusted at how their story is being portrayed.  Although I don't remember Diana's interview the Royals survived that one and time will show us how this one will work its way through the collective memory.  In my view Harry is the biggest loser in this immediate drama.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

Meghan McCain is insulted in the press for the things she has said and done.  For the most part, news stories about Meghan McCain are true - they are just reporting what she has said/done in her normal rude, entitled condescending way.  Plus, Meghan goes out of her way to intentionally incite (whether with her comments and attitude or her hair and makeup), in order to stir up press for herself.

Yes. If Meghan McCain took herself out of the public eye nobody in the media would ever mention her again.  But Meghan Markle will have media focus on her forever even if she never gives another interview.

• Love 22
On 3/5/2021 at 1:23 PM, LetsStartTalking said:

I don't care who's on this week, so long as Gretta Monaghan returns with 'View Your Deal' - hottest items at affordable prices! I've completely run out of flexible, recycled, over-priced drinking straws as well as eye glass readers and toiletries!

My organizer tossed all my bags so I could use a tote or two

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

People in the Royal family being concerned about Archie's skin tone possibly being too dark was hard to hear but I remember when he was a few hours old and a British journalist called him a chimpanzee, he doubled down said that people were overreacting and that it was not racist, sure Jan!

I detest racism towards anyone, but I find it particularly sickening when it's towards a precious, innocent BABY. These people are not human. 

• Love 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I detest racism towards anyone, but I find it particularly sickening when it's towards a precious, innocent BABY. These people are not human. 

It is about protecting Whiteness, a relic from European colonization.  Archie's half Black mother precludes him from whiteness, even though genetically he is more White than Black.  Genetics is funny because he may even darken as he gets older and they fear that.. 

I am happy that Sunny said that the UK is the OG in colonization and racism.  Our system is based on them, this country inherited slavery and all that came after from them.. Also the UK/USA dynamic is interesting because it does not have the hostile relationship that other former colonies have with their former colonizers.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Was surprised they spent so many segments on Meghan and Harry interview.   Especially with a 3rd Cuomo accuser and covid relief bill passing the Senate over the weekend.   I'm wondering on the rationale....

I think it may have come down to people just being sick and tired of talking about politics and Covid.  Not that these issues aren't important just they are ever present.  It was a relief in a way to talk about something else.  It has certainly been a relief to hear about something else.  

• Love 16
(edited)

I’m glad that Whoopi also brought up Fergie. She and Diana both suffered so much in the press and in that family. Fergie is still a pariah and doesn’t get invited to family events. It seems like anyone who marries into that family is held to impossible standards and that was doubly so for Meghan because of her entire background as a woman of mixed race, an American, and an actress to boot. I’m sure the mere idea of her has been an affront to them from the beginning. It’s sad that they can’t just let everything go for the sake of the grandkids. 

Edited by Angeleyes
Fixed the spelling of Meghan’s name
  • Love 10