Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Airdate 2021.03.07

Daryl and Carol find an old cabin that takes Daryl back to his years away from the group after Rick disappeared. He relives the painful memory of meeting a reticent survivor and the toxic events that amplified his relationship with Dog.

(edited)

So I finished all my chores and decided to skim this ep, skipping all the commercials (nearly wore out my FF button) and I actually didn't mind it. I even overlooked the ridiculousness of Daryl wandering for five years to look for Ricky. Did he really think he might find him somewhere just hangin' out the forest? Oh, well.

I liked Leah. Finally, someone who had no cartoon quirks or silly schticks, like maybe using a boomerang, wearing a bizarre mask, being an acrobat or speaking in tongues or some shit.

I liked Daryl snarking at Carol and not giving a rat's ass what she does or where she goes.  He made her cry. Hee!

Okay, the artsy-farty misty moonlight stuff was trite, Speaking about frostbite in the autumn in the south was dumb, and where the hell did that corn on the cob come from? Maybe I zoned out a bit and missed some cornfield in the forest somewhere.

But Daryl was ultimately a dumbass, buggering off on a woman who didn't care how dirty or inarticulate he was, and a half-way decent dwelling that still had lamp oil after all these years, to continue his dogged, Lassie-like search for his master. But did he really think Leah just walked away and Dog didn't feel like going with her? Come on, Daryl! Get with it.

I guess that's all. Oh, and bonus - no NEGAN!  And Daryl put a fish in his pocket.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

Ummm. This is the last season isn't it? We are down to the final few episodes, yes? But for some reason we needed to see a flashback episode that tells us...nothing. Oh excuse me. It tells us something that could easily have been addressed in 10 minutes of conversation with a single flashback.

And these writers are so talented that they took the 2 people who have been with us since season 1 ... and made me say "oh gawd, can we please see someone else to break this dull, monotone drone?" AND I LOVE THESE 2! At least I used to.

Also, am I supposed to believe that these 2 are finished with each other after everything they have gone through over the last 10 years? And we know other things, sooo....

I didn't watch last weeks episode until tonight. Then I watched this. As many times as I've said I will finish the series because I have invested too much time in it, watching these 2 episodes makes me question that resolve.

• Love 6
(edited)

None of that shit made sense. When time FF (after Rick blew up), they had Daryl living on his own with dog. Then he came back into the fold when the Whisperers were threatening the communities. And he started a thing with Connie. SO now they introduce this back story that he had a big thing with a girl in the forest. That one day he left her, but changed his mind and when he came back her house was trashed and she was missing leaving her dog behind. SO what does he do...writes her a note saying he wants to be with her and stashes it in the floorboards. Huh? 

Also, what was the point of having Carol doing the same exact stuff as Leah...the spear fishing thing was a carbon copy? Was that to show that he fell for Leah because she was so much like Carol? Or was this Leah thing some sort of mind frick Daryl had where it was really Carol he had a thing with in the forest? Nah, cause Carol was living her best life with Zeke at that point (and her adopted son, what's his name who got his head chopped off). 

Also, why why why does this show have a love for introducing new characters all the time? Constant. Really annoys. Maybe if they would kill off the OGs every now and again...but they would never kill their fave kiddos (Daryl, Carol, Negan, Michonne, Rick, Maggie, Eugene, Rosita, Father pee pants, Jerry and Zeke and Morgan so they moved him to new show). So they add characters we don't care about and kill them off. Also not a fan of having whole episodes show some sort of story for just 1-2 characters. I want to go back to seeing the whole gang in action. But I guess the covid situation will mean we see all episodes of just like 3 actors. Blah!

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

I have some bad news for you... 

Ha ha! I too thought, yay, we are almost done. One more season. Then I saw your post so a little google told me that the final season is an "epic" 24 episodes spread across 2 years. Dear gawd, no! I bet we will not be using the word epic when we describe the final season as we watch it. 

And in reading what the ice cream cone spoiler is supposed to mean, we are going to be introduced to a whole huge bunch more new characters. Dear lord, no thanks! I honestly don't care if I watch to the end anymore, Nope. Will be a first for me, to give up on a show so near the end. I even stuck out the 'shark jumping' LOST to the bitter stupid end. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 7

There's still one full final season to come after this "bonus" extra third half season. Yeah.

I'll admit I was zoning in and out a lot on this one, partly because I'm just tired of circling the same trees, er conversations and partly because I was trying to keep up with the apparent overthrow of the British monarchy on CBS. As I've already said elsewhere, I'm mostly just amused that 10 seasons in after years and years of terrible shipping wars over a guy who has often looked like he crawled into an oil drum with a dead possum and box of Miss Clairol that only NOW does Daryl get to be a real boy with a real woman in a hazy flashback. I'm sure the actresses who were pitted against each other like he was some kind of grand prize and received hate mail and reported death threats really appreciate that. That Daryl found a woman who considered him a catch should have been his first big clue to hang on for dear life, but seriously Daryl, you don't need a Little Orphan Annie secret decoder ring to figure out that if the dog was left behind, she probably didn't just wander off on her own free will.

I've probably loved the longrunning Carol and Daryl dynamic more than most, but this one was really pushing it. Having a character complain about having the same conversation over and over again when that's exactly what they're doing isn't art. It's tiresome. Carol's always had a fair bit of tunnel vision that the Whisperers story ramped up to 11 and she needs to own that, but let's not act like Daryl has consistently been this version of measured reason. He's the same guy who shot Ricky G's master plan to hell by ramming a truck into the Savior compound and got Glenn killed by fucking around with Negan and finding out. We know they'll make up again along the way because they always do, so what's the point?

• Love 16

So, Im betting the entire point of this episode was to introduce Leah so that it can be revealed she was kidnapped by the reapers and has now become queen of the reapers and she wants her damn Dog back.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4

This is still considered part of Season 10. We're two episodes into this batch of 6.

The final season, Season 11, kicks off at some point still to be announced later this summer. That one is reportedly to be a super sized 22 episodes, I guess with the usual split. That's still an awful lot of "WTH was that?" to come.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Viewership has plummeted to below 3 million.  

Why is “The Walking Dead” still a series?

With the last two episodes, the once ratings powerhouse has fallen to below 3 million viewers a week.

Last week registered a 2.89 million. The prior week was 2.73 million.

This tenth “season” of the series began in October 2019 and ends on April 4, 2021. There are 22 episodes. The first one, back in October 2019, scored 4 million viewers. The decline has been steady.

At the peak of its popularity, these Zombies and ugly humans were taking in 15 million viewers. That was in 2013-14.

But the bloom is off the rose, as they say. The zombies have flaked into nothingness. You would have to be hardcore to still care what happens.

There’s also a lot of competition. Tomorrow night at 9pm, Oprah will be grilling Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, who are fighting their own zombies. On the CW, there’s the Critics Choice Awards. And then there are 200 other channels.

We’ll see on Tuesday what tomorrow night’s ratings are. But an 11th season is supposed to start this summer. Why? I have no idea except that AMC has no other ideas for series."

-----

When Random Woman asked Mumbles about who he had lost in the ZA and he said his brother, I thought he meant, you know, his REAL brother, Merle.  Well, until he went on to describe Rick.  

No mention of losing Merle whatsoever.  That irked me because Merle, whilst a complete asshole, did save Michonne and martyred himself up to a gaggle of walkers to save the others.  Hell, it was Daryl who had to put him down after he turned.  

I appreciate his brotherly ties to Rick, but it just pissed me off that Merle wasn't even worthy of a mention as being one of Daryl's losses.  

Other than that, this was a total snoozefest for me....but at least Daryl's hair was clean.  

It's the little things.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am waiting for his brother Larry, and his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl to show up.  He has to be related to those three morons that live in Vermont.

😄

I did enjoy this bizarre detour into TWD's idea of a love story, something at which they have always failed miserably, giving us a mash-up of icky Harlequin Romance and soap opera. Oooh! Daryl kissed a GIRL! Well, I assume he did.

3 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

I appreciate his brotherly ties to Rick, but it just pissed me off that Merle wasn't even worthy of a mention as being one of Daryl's losses.

Yeah, forgot about that. Agree.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

😄

I did enjoy this bizarre detour into TWD's idea of a love story, something at which they have always failed miserably, giving us a mash-up of icky Harlequin Romance and soap opera. Oooh! Daryl kissed a GIRL! Well, I assume he did.

Yeah, forgot about that. Agree.

I was astounded that Daryl finally got laid...what, 10 years into the ZA?  With all these time jumps, it's hard to pin it down.  

Yeah, that whole "poignant" rhetoric about Rick would have been a lot more meaningful to me had Daryl said, "I lost 2 brothers," and gave a brief description of Merle sacrificing himself for the greater good and then going into details of Rick's circumstances.  

At this point, I'm rooting for these imbecilic writers to have Carl show up with one foot, explaining to Rick he hadn't shot himself in the head that day but had actually managed to shoot off his own foot, but it took him all this time to catch up to the gang.  He could have some miraculous natural immunity to walker bites, and he and Rick could ride off into the sunset.  

These writers are great at pulling inexplicable stories out of their collective ass, so it's time to stop rearranging the deck chairs on this rapidly sinking show and go big or go home.  The more absurd the better at this point.  It would be in keeping with the trend of the last few seasons.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hold tight, fans. Going into the past (repeatedly) isn't enough!!! Next up we will go "sideways" a la Lost. And we will learn just as much here as we did there, which is to say nothing.

Seriously, time travel can be an effective tool if used judiciously, wisely and — listen up TPTB — for a reason. 

One last comment which leads me to say that I realize my post is not cohesive. Then again neither is this show. But here's my comment: The best, simply THE best, time travel episode of any TV show was "City on the Edge of Forever.) (Star Trek TOS.) The stakes were high, and there were consequences paid.

Best thing about last night's episode was Dog's origin story. Still, after all this time how has he not gotten eaten? (Don't misinterpret that TPTB!!!)

Edited by DavidWeis1
  • Love 7
54 minutes ago, DavidWeis1 said:

Best thing about last night's episode was Dog's origin story. Still, after all this time how has he not gotten eaten? (Don't misinterpret that TPTB!!!)

Better question: after all this time, how has Dog not succumbed to heart worms, seeing as how the series is still set more or less "down south"-ish.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

I was astounded that Daryl finally got laid...what, 10 years into the ZA?

I don't think he even bothered peeling his clothes off, but it was hard to tell since the scene was zoomed over in the wink of an eye by the self-concious, immature dingbat writers who love graphic, gruesome violence ("Cool, dude!") but who must blush and giggle like little schoolgirls at the very thought or even a whisper of s-e-x.

1 hour ago, DavidWeis1 said:

The best, simply THE best, time travel episode of any TV show was "City on the Edge of Forever.) (Star Trek TOS.) The stakes were high, and there were consequences paid.

Oh, hell, yes! The romance was organic and realistic, yet sweet, and ultimately wrenching. I think this is one of my favorite episodes of any show, ever. *sigh* And our show can't do even as well as a program from the 60s  that was on a shoestring budget. Of course, this ep was written by Harlan Ellison, not some hack like the ones on TWD.

Yeah, that whole "poignant" rhetoric about Rick would have been a lot more meaningful to me had Daryl said, "I lost 2 brothers," and gave a brief description of Merle sacrificing himself for the greater good and then going into details of Rick's circumstances. 

When he said his brother's death was accidental the body not found, I thought, "Who the hell is he talking about? He knows what happened to Merle." But with Daryl, it seems that other than the Brave Man, Rick, it's "out of sight, out of mind." Or maybe TPTB forgot about Merle too.

The more absurd the better at this point. 

I agree. I mentioned some time ago that this show would be much better if they made it into a parody, or slapstick comedy.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

There's still one full final season to come after this "bonus" extra third half season. Yeah.

On top of that, there will be the 'Carol and Daryl Adventures' spin-off series and Rick Grimes spin-off movie. So no, we are not saying goodbye to Carol and Daryl until maybe 2025 at the soonest?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
25 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I don't think he even bothered peeling his clothes off, but it was hard to tell since the scene was zoomed over in the wink of an eye by the self-concious, immature dingbat writers who love graphic, gruesome violence ("Cool, dude!") but who must blush and giggle like little schoolgirls at the very thought or even a whisper of s-e-x.

Maggie and Glenn sex at the drug store was quite obvious. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

I agree. I mentioned some time ago that this show would be much better if they made it into a parody, or slapstick comedy.

And send it out with this playing whilst rolling the names and pics of the entire cast for the past 10 years...I've no clue how to embed a video 😞  

https://youtu.be/Q9aM9Ch97U8

Edited by Persnickety1
  • LOL 1

Two things...where did she get corn on the cob, also if the person that gave birth to leah’s son was someone who survived the zombie apocalypse and died during childbirth where did Leah get a picture of herself and her son (Matthew) I cant imagine there were still photomats developing pictures while there’s a multitude of walkers about?  Did I misunderstand the timeline there?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

When Daryl said "I lost my brother", it took me a moment to realize he was talking about Rick.  At first I thought he was talking about Merle.   I thought "he didn't die in an accident, he got killed in a blaze of glory in a fight with the governor after blaring Ted Nugent in his car".  It all seemed a bit much, there was the brother who wasn't really his brother, Leah's sister who wasn't really her sister, and the son who wasn't really her son.

Anyway, if Daryl was out in the woods for years hunting for Rick, why didn't he spend much time hunting for Leah? 

• Love 5
(edited)

I liked the beginning and the end, basically Daryl & Carol because they've always been my favorite relationship on the show - best friends, not lovers.

The middle was just bad.  Expecting to care about Daryl's relationship with some random chick who was apparently "the one" when we've just learned about it and are given about 30 minutes to understand it?  Blatant hostility, then acceptance, then sex and "twuu wuv" work in romance novels, not dramas.

If Dog was her link to her dead "son," she wouldn't have left him by choice.  Is Daryl really that dumb?

Speaking of Dog, how many times did he randomly run to the cabin for no reason other than to lead others to the cabin?  Made no sense.  And seriously, how is he not walker chow by now, with all that running away shit?

ETA: I knew he was talking about Rick the moment he said "my brother."  This show tends to forget secondary characters once they're dead.

Edited by madmax
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

You mean, Daryl’s not gay...?

According to a mob of fanfic writers, he's not only gay, but manages to get pregnant by more than one baby daddy, including Rick

3 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

Maggie and Glenn sex at the drug store was quite obvious. 

Yeah, I know. Glenn/Maggie sex was always quite obvious, maybe because - to me, at least - it was so awkward and so lacking in chemistry they decided it wasn't really like sex at all.  Same with Rick and Michonne, where both actors looked embarrassed.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Anyway, if Daryl was out in the woods for years hunting for Rick, why didn't he spend much time hunting for Leah? 

How much time did he spend hunting for Connie? I forget. Maybe he figured he'd play the same game of "Find Me" that he played with Leah.

48 minutes ago, madmax said:

Blatant hostility, then acceptance, then sex and "twuu wuv" work in romance novels, not dramas.

That is pure Harlequin Romance formula. "I hate you! You're unbearable! Go away!" quickly turns into falling into each other's arms.

1 hour ago, stacyasp said:

Two things...where did she get corn on the cob, also if the person that gave birth to leah’s son was someone who survived the zombie apocalypse and died during childbirth where did Leah get a picture of herself and her son (Matthew)

I asked about the corn too. I don't think corn grows well in a forest. We know Polaroid cameras survived for a time, so I'm assuming it was that even though the kid looked a little old for functioning cameras to still be around, I give a pass on that.  It wasn't nearly as outlandish as so many other things we've been fed.

Oh, and once again we had, "There's a whole mob of walkers crashing and stumbling through the woods behind me, but I hear nothing until they are upon me" plot device, this time to have Leah come to Daryl's rescue. I'm beginning to doubt Daryl is the great tracker and woodsman he's made out to be. 😏

4 hours ago, diebartdie said:

Better question: after all this time, how has Dog not succumbed to heart worms

I also wonder how Daryl has not succumbed to the raging case of tapeworms he should have from eating raw squirrels.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Superclam said:

I have some bad news for you... 

13 hours ago, Lamima said:

Ha ha! I too thought, yay, we are almost done. One more season. Then I saw your post so a little google told me that the final season is an "epic" 24 episodes spread across 2 years. Dear gawd, no! I bet we will not be using the word epic when we describe the final season as we watch it. 

13 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I've probably loved the longrunning Carol and Daryl dynamic more than most, but this one was really pushing it. Having a character complain about having the same conversation over and over again when that's exactly what they're doing isn't art. It's tiresome. Carol's always had a fair bit of tunnel vision that the Whisperers story ramped up to 11 and she needs to own that, but let's not act like Daryl has consistently been this version of measured reason. He's the same guy who shot Ricky G's master plan to hell by ramming a truck into the Savior compound and got Glenn killed by fucking around with Negan and finding out. We know they'll make up again along the way because they always do, so what's the point?

**please picture me taking off my glasses, rubbing my eyes, then slowly and deliberately banging my head repeatedly on the desk**

I have loved Carol and Daryl since the beginning. And as much as I don't like the way they have been written in the last few seasons, I will probably be a ride or die Carol and Daryl fan until the end. The bitter, bitter end. The bitter, bitter, boring, repetitive end. The bitter, bitter, boring, repetitive, remote, far away end.

Le sigh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Like some others, it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Daryl was speaking of Rick and not Merle when he said he had lost a brother. 

As someone who used to actually ship Daryl and Carol (something I almost never do), I'm amazed by how very little I care about either character any longer.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

So that's what he did with the fish that he put in his pocket.

As for him possibly having sex with Lay, I mean Leah, I don't recall seeing Daryl having a sexual relationship in the series at all, and not any after he left Leah.   If he did truly have sex with Leah, I find it hard to believe that he hasn't had any "intimate" relationships since then.  And unless they have a flashback with a complete scene of the deed being done, I still have my doubts about Daryl having sex with Leah.

Sure, he had some sort of relationship with Connie, but I haven't seen any sign of them being romantically involved.

Given how Carol''s actions in this episode were the exact same as Leah's, I do wonder if Daryl will end up having a sexual relationship with Carol.  I realize that the conversation that Daryl had with Carol in this episode seemed like something that will drive them apart,  I think that is a temporary thing.

Leah extended her hand with that come hither look and Daryl took it. I am perfectly satisfied with that. I don't need to see anyone bumping uglies and I could smell Daryl through the TV when they hiding behind the tree. I noted it was 10 months later when Leah and Daryl were fighting, so I worried that a bun in the oven was part of the turmoil of Leah trying to hold on to her feral cat, but we'll see. 

Overall I liked the episode.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am more of a "if a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound" type of person.

I need to see the tree.  Without seeing the tree, the sound is meaningless.  Seeing the surrounding shrubs isn't enough.

My comment started out with good intentions, but somewhere along the way it took a bad turn.

Oh I missed the unedited comment. Anyway on TD they confirmed the deed. The actress playing Leah said that COVID prevented a more explicit scene but the writer said they probably wouldn't have shown much anyway even with the pandemic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oh yeah, that's a way to get people invested in your new season. Set up a new interesting dynamic with Maggie back to see everyone making nice with the man who left her a widow, and then follow it with a boring backstory episode featuring Daryl making heart eyes at some women we have never seen before and him and Carol bickering with a very convoluted timeline. Seriously, I was really struggling to keep up with where in the timeline any of this was happening, it kept slamming back and forth from one month to fix months to two weeks to two weeks in the past to four weeks in the future, it just made my head hurt. It is pretty funny to me that after so many season of ship wars featuring Daryl, they first put him with new character Connie (kind of) and now he gets this whole backstory with this random cabin lady and Dogs original human. Turns out all of that was a big waste of time, shippers. The cabin women was fine as a character and the actress did a good job, and I am glad she didn't have some stupid gimmick but still had a personality, but this just felt like such a time waster. 

Daryl spending half of the time skip just wandering around the same part of the woods looking for Rick is kind of sweet, as I do really like their friendship, but its also really stupid on his part. What, does he think Rick is in a tree house? Just wandering around the woods with amnesia?* Did he expect to find his Walker body ambling around? The only parts that seemed to even remotely seem relevant were Carol and Daryl still fighting after she blundered into getting Connie killed, and maybe Daryl's girlfriend could show up again. I normally really like Daryl and Carol's friendship, but this fight all seems so contrived. Carol screwed up, but its not like she personally held a gun to Connie's head and pulled the damn trigger, and its not like Daryl's own bad choices and personal vendettas hasn't ever caused any problems before. I can see him being mad at Carol, but not to this point. 

It also does bug me that Daryl didn't mention he lost two brothers and that one died years ago and one probably died recently but he isn't sure. Merle wasn't the best guy or brother, but he did die trying to save the day and he did love Daryl.  

I would have liked this episode better if it had just been a Dog origin story where we follow him from person to person going from puppy to grown dog and how he found Daryl. Like A Dogs Purpose or War Horse, but with zombies! The best thing about this episode was Dog's long desired origin story and how cute he was as a puppy. What a good boy. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

..I've no clue how to embed a video

You don't have to do anything to embed it. Just pasting the link embeds it by default. Just make sure under the video you've pasted you don't click, "Display as a link instead".

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

The actress playing Leah said that COVID prevented a more explicit scene but the writer said they probably wouldn't have shown much anyway even with the pandemic.

"Explicit"? On this show? 😄 Personally, I neither need or want any explictness (I just finished GoT and had enough full-frontal nudity (women only, of course) and explicit stuff to last a lifetime) but maybe a conversation? Maybe just some flirty looks/eye contact? Something to establish some sort of growing attraction? Maybe Daryl giving some mumbled story about why he's been celibate for 5 or 10 years, like maybe he didn't feel worthy of the women he's been around? What each of them have missed living in insolation? Anything to make it believable, other than "Get lost", and immediately, "Come hither."

Seems these writers have never had any sort of adult relationship and base their romances on the way people acted in high school, like when a boy who liked me ran run by and knocked my books out of my arms. "Ooh, he likes you!" my friends said, but we were 14.

This ep really was a big nothing, although it came nowhere near aggravating me as the Evil Kaboom person ("Why are you doing this to us???") last week did. I do maintain Leah was a breath of fresh air, simply because she wasn't cartoonish or gimmicky.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Strangely, I had no problem following the timeline, although the letters could have been just a bit bigger:

daryl727.jpg

This picture just make me wonder when was the last time he washed and changed clothes.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The only parts that seemed to even remotely seem relevant were Carol and Daryl still fighting after she blundered into getting Connie killed

Connie isn't dead. When we last saw her, she had stumbled out of the woods and onto a road. Virgil, riding a horse, came across her just as she passed out.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

after all of this time they finally have Daryl romantically involved with someone, and I just can't buy into it.

'Cause you really want it to be Carol. C'mon admit it...you know you do.

• LOL 3

So we had to dedicate an entire episode to show us the origin of a damn dog......sigh.  The thing that has contributed the most to me getting tired of this show, is the underdeveloped character.  TWD are the kings of the underdeveloped character.  We have had droves of people come and go over ten seasons (mostly the last dreadful 3 or 4) and I haven't given two sh**s about any of them!  That's what separates the transcendent shows like the Sopranos and a show like this.  I felt I knew everyone, down to the finest detail, that Tony interacted or lived with. 

When you have to give them pink boas and stupid masks to gain your attention, you know you have a problem.  Nevertheless, I will continue to watch this thing to the bitter end. Ten years is a long investment, so why stop now?  That being said Season 11 can't come and go quick enough!  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, BlueMax said:

So we had to dedicate an entire episode to show us the origin of a damn dog......sigh.  The thing that has contributed the most to me getting tired of this show, is the underdeveloped character.  TWD are the kings of the underdeveloped character.  We have had droves of people come and go over ten seasons (mostly the last dreadful 3 or 4) and I haven't given two sh**s about any of them!  That's what separates the transcendent shows like the Sopranos and a show like this.  I felt I knew everyone, down to the finest detail, that Tony interacted or lived with. 

When you have to give them pink boas and stupid masks to gain your attention, you know you have a problem.  Nevertheless, I will continue to watch this thing to the bitter end. Ten years is a long investment, so why stop now?  That being said Season 11 can't come and go quick enough!  

You weren't positively devastated when they killed (WHO THE FUCK IS) NEAL???   😳😂

Yeah, but seriously, I agree.  I don't really care about any of the characters getting killed off.  Carol and Daryl have plot armor, especially with that rumored new spinoff show, so no surprise deaths will be coming from that coupling. 

The writers seem to think if they give a character a handful of lines right before they're killed that we should have some emotional investment in that character and actually care that they were killed.  Hell, here at Casa Persnickety when a character dies, we look at each other and say, "Who the fresh hell was THAT???" My son-in-law has had to go to Google to look at a picture of and read about a character for us to figure out what episode(s) they were in, because the character had so little impact on us that we don't even recognize their name.  

The last time I had a reaction to a character's death was with Jesus, and then it was just a celebratory fist pump that Tom Payne was free of this mess and could pursue an actual role where he wasn't simply a human prop in background scenes.  It must be hell for a serious actor to get locked into a contract and not be used.  I'm glad his show got a second season after he put up with TWD giving him scraps for the last 2 seasons he was on the show.  

And I guess Jayne Atkinson, a fine actress, probably had visions of a meaty role as Georgie from Commonwealth, but it doesn't look like we'll ever be seeing her again.  She should probably count her lucky stars the writers went in another direction and her services will probably never be needed again.  

Now off I go to light a candle in remembrance of the beloved murdered red shirt Neal, who was such an integral part of the show. 

*bowing my head*

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 6

I guess I'm dumber than dumb because I didn't realize Daryl was referring to Rick as his "brother" until I came here. I thought he was talking about Merle, which made no sense. Also, how exactly did Merle die? I can't remember the details.

And why is Daryl searching for Rick? Doesn't he know Michonne is out doing the same thing? Oh wait, this took place prior to that, right?

I'm disappointed they felt a need to give Daryl any kind of romance story after all these years. I always liked the fact that he seemed to be ambiguously asexual.

I could be wrong but I get the impression last week's episode was filmed mostly before the pandemic, and the next five (including this one) will be smaller 2-3 character episodes.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I guess I'm dumber than dumb because I didn't realize Daryl was referring to Rick as his "brother" until I came here. I thought he was talking about Merle, which made no sense. Also, how exactly did Merle die? I can't remember the details.

And why is Daryl searching for Rick? Doesn't he know Michonne is out doing the same thing? Oh wait, this took place prior to that, right?

Merle tried to take out the Governor on his own.  They had a big fight, but the Governor ended up killing him.  

It just seems odd to keep searching for someone for literally years along a river when you know odds are slim he survived.  I mean maybe if it was your child.  And Rick has two people out searching for him.  Michonne is even stranger really, because she abandoned her children to search for him.  This Rick guy must really be something special.

I have a theory that one reason Daryl became so popular was that he never gave up searching for Sophia, while everyone else was wrapped up in their own drama.  Daryl just has difficulty letting things go, apparently.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also, how exactly did Merle die? I can't remember the details.

He was turned into a walker (I think it had something to do with the Governor, I really don't recall) and Daryl killed him, with an ugly crying face. 

ETA: I see @rmontro answered that question already. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I could be wrong but I get the impression last week's episode was filmed mostly before the pandemic, and the next five (including this one) will be smaller 2-3 character episodes.

I hate to be that nerd, but they said on Talking Dead that it was filmed during the pandemic and that's why there wasn't as much hanky-panky as one might expect. All the 6 "extra" episodes were filmed during COVID times. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 2

Caveat that I was only half paying attention when I wasn't flipping between this and the Oprah Extravaganza, but are we supposed to think that Daryl was devoting all this time and effort because he thought his "brother" Rick was still wandering up and down the same creek bank years later as an injured yet possibly sentient being? Or more likely was he looking for Walker Rick to make sure he was disposed of respectfully? Because that's honestly how I read this episode and Michonne's flashback episode with the children of the corn. So much has been made over the years of not letting the people who mattered to you roam like that only to end up as some stranger's headshot.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Or more likely was he looking for Walker Rick to make sure he was disposed of respectfully?

That's a good possibility I guess, but if that's the case, why did he stick close to the river.  If Rick had turned into a walker, over the course of years he could have wandered hundreds of miles away during that time.  I think he was either hoping to find him alive somehow (which would be hard to believe), or he was looking for some sort of closure.  If he had turned into a walker, I suppose he could have had his legs blown off and been very immobile.  Still seems like a pretty long shot.

• Love 4