Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E04 Check Your Head

• Start Topic

Miami, 1990: Dwayne looks to crack the starting line up as a freshman for the famed Miami Hurricanes football team attracting the attention of players, coaches and celebrities. However, an unexpected incident sends his season and life into turmoil.

Original Air Date: March 16 ,2021

I'm liking this show way more than I expected to...it's charming and original.  I like the casting and acting and the 70s/80s/90s nostalgia.  Hope it can get the ratings to stick around.

• Love 7

Sad to hear how bad things got for Grandma, although I am glad that Dwayne said that things got better. 

The amount of pressure on college athletes is insane, your basically a professional athlete as well as a student in your late teens/early 20s, and it feels like your whole future is on the line every day you play. 

Glad we got to see college Dwayne, I guess high school Dwayne will be next time again? Eighteen but make love like a thirty year old. Yeah, too much Dwayne. Too much. 

• Love 7

Heh, I remember when the internet got ahold of that photo of Dwayne in the black turtleneck and fanny pack, so I enjoyed seeing it show up here!  Ah, the early 90s....

Definitely found this episode interesting since I remember a lot from his biography about his time and struggle during his college football career (because despite not being paid, that's really what it was.)  Also him/the show addressing that he was dealing with depression after his injury, even though issues like that weren't addressed a lot back then.  Curious to see how this all plays out on screen.

Rocky being so excited about getting to swim with dolphins was great.

Liked how Dwayne was this time being interviewed by Kenny Smith on some kind of sports show this go around.  Makes sense that a presidential candidate would be making rounds with various shows, so I wonder what they'll do next.  Have him pop up in a View-style ensemble?  Goof off on a late night talk show?  I can see the show having fun with that aspect.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Eighteen but make love like a thirty year old. Yeah, too much Dwayne. Too much. 

I don't think that was the too much part, it was the dancing and posing that came afterward.

I'm trying to think if there was another show like this where the main character is played by different actors and seen in different time periods (time jumps don't count).  I can't think of one.  Maybe this show is innovative on some level.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I don't think that was the too much part, it was the dancing and posing that came afterward.

I'm trying to think if there was another show like this where the main character is played by different actors and seen in different time periods (time jumps don't count).  I can't think of one.  Maybe this show is innovative on some level.

Me myself and I, maybe? RIP. Gone before its time. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Me myself and I, maybe? RIP. Gone before its time. 

But I never thought that Bobby Moynihan and John Larroquette were believable as the same person at different ages. All three version of Young Rock look a good deal like the real Dwayne Johnson.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Does this mean that The Rock never went to class and never got an education? How did he manage to remain a student?

Just the first semester when he turned around at the end of the episode as he honored his father and his position coach..  He returned from injury to  earn a BA and play 4 years for "The U' as a reserve defensive lineman behind future NFL Hall of Famers Cortez Kennedy and Warren Sapp

• Useful 4
On 3/17/2021 at 8:15 PM, rmontro said:

This Is Us, with several of the main characters (except the parents)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I find it interesting how this episode stigmatized being a redshirt.  When I was in school it was a given than some freshmen would be redshirts.  And even though they were redshirts, they were very much acknowledged as being on the team and got a lot of the same perqs any full fledged team member got.  I mean, they were still there in scholarship so they had to do all the stuff the NCAA required.  They got into bars, got stuff comped etc, were sought after at all the parties. And that 0.9 gpa he got, yeah there would have been an entire office in the Athletics dept. working to ensure he did not get kicked out for academics.

I could see that was probably his perception of it and he was gung ho to start so saw it as a failure, but outsiders would not have been as dismissive.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:52 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Heh, I remember when the internet got ahold of that photo of Dwayne in the black turtleneck and fanny pack, so I enjoyed seeing it show up here!  Ah, the early 90s....

I cackled when I saw this because I immediately recognized it.  They got the details so well!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I find it interesting how this episode stigmatized being a redshirt.  When I was in school it was a given than some freshmen would be redshirts.  And even though they were redshirts, they were very much acknowledged as being on the team and got a lot of the same perqs any full fledged team member got.  I mean, they were still there in scholarship so they had to do all the stuff the NCAA required.  They got into bars, got stuff comped etc, were sought after at all the parties. And that 0.9 gpa he got, yeah there would have been an entire office in the Athletics dept. working to ensure he did not get kicked out for academics.

I could see that was probably his perception of it and he was gung ho to start so saw it as a failure, but outsiders would not have been as dismissive.

I cackled when I saw this because I immediately recognized it.  They got the details so well!

I think it is how Dewey saw himself. This is probably the first time in his life that he was not the absolute best athlete around. And with the injury he could do nothing to turn that around. But then it is something he shared with all the other reserves but on  scholarship players who rarely played on the National Champion squads. Many  Heisman trophy winners as the best NCAA football  player faced the same realization upon trying to play in the NFL..

• Love 1