Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Over My Head

• Start Topic

Zoey wonders if she's ready for the real world after becoming the subject of a nasty rumor at work; Nomi debates whether to tell Phil about Luna; Doug plans a house party to cheer on Jazz and Sky in their Olympic-qualifying race.

Promo:

Original air date: 3/4/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

This shit is wild to me. The notion of making the decision to not a guy about his own child is just beyond messed up to me. He has the right to know. One night stand or no. 

And Zoey is just now thinking about if she was ready for a real job? Now? Get out of here! That plotline was pointless. 

• Love 3

I am really glad that Nomi finally told Phil that they had a baby and that Ana especially called her out in keeping it from him. Its a really crappy thing to do not only to him but to Luna. He has the right to be a part of his daughters life and Luna has the right to know her father. Does she want to explain to Luna when she gets older why she doesn't know her dad or his side of the family? I forgot that Luka and Nomi were friends, its honestly weird to see him again I feel like its been ages. 

So where do the twins go from here? This is definitely going to lead to tension. 

Zoey is basically on a different show now, and her show is pretty boring. 

• Love 4

It's been so long since the first half of the season aired last year that I had honestly forgotten Nomi got pregnant from a one night stand. When she was discussing it with one of the guys and they mentioned that she couldn't have a one night stand with her one night stand etc. I was like GIRL. First you get pregnant and don't tell the guy at any time in the nine months that you were pregnant or the five months since the baby has been born. Then when he texts to say he's in town, you tell him you're going to meet him and instead let you don't show up AND you let your friend interrogate him. Then you text him to ask him to meet you AGAIN and tell him that you don't remember what happened during your one night stand and proceed to have sex with him again. And at no point do you mention that you got pregnant and he has a child?! I would not be surprised if this results in Phil enlisting his parents' help to try to get legal custody. Nomi has deliberately chosen to be a jerk to him at every given opportunity.

As for Zoey, I feel that in her defense, tour life is different from the real world. 3am on tour is not the same as 3am in the regular world. And she seems like she's a bit lonely and isolated so she didn't think about what it would look like to everyone else if she was in his trailer at that hour. She learned an important life lesson! But I was rolling my eyes that she quit her job because she thought she couldn't handle an adult job. Really? Your solution to your coworkers gossiping about you is to run away from your dream job (which you quit school for)?

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Zoey is basically on a different show now, and her show is pretty boring. 

And for the love of God, is there not a director who can work with her on her voiceover style? They get more painful with each passing episode. The intense gravitas for the most mundane observation, the awkward cadence, ugh. The earlier seasons, her delivery was a bit more relaxed and there was more humor injected into those VO's, whereas now it's all HERE IS A LIFE LESSON, ALLOW ME TO BEAT YOUR OVER THE HEAD WITH IT.

It think it's even more jarring because Zoey's role on the actual show has grown so limited, it seems dumb for her to be offering commentary when she's barely around. 

It's been so long since the first half of the season aired last year that I had honestly forgotten Nomi got pregnant from a one night stand. When she was discussing it with one of the guys and they mentioned that she couldn't have a one night stand with her one night stand etc. I was like GIRL. First you get pregnant and don't tell the guy at any time in the nine months that you were pregnant or the five months since the baby has been born. Then when he texts to say he's in town, you tell him you're going to meet him and instead let you don't show up AND you let your friend interrogate him. Then you text him to ask him to meet you AGAIN and tell him that you don't remember what happened during your one night stand and proceed to have sex with him again. And at no point do you mention that you got pregnant and he has a child?! I would not be surprised if this results in Phil enlisting his parents' help to try to get legal custody. Nomi has deliberately chosen to be a jerk to him at every given opportunity.

Yeah, considering that they're apparently doing this storyline on purpose and not out of necessity due to a real life pregnancy, it's odd to me that they'd go such a ridiculous route. 

Nomi struggling with what/when/how much to tell her one-night stand about her baby is perfectly normal and relatable. But the 2nd one-night stand without mentioning the baby...come on. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Yeah, considering that they're apparently doing this storyline on purpose and not out of necessity due to a real life pregnancy, it's odd to me that they'd go such a ridiculous route. 

Between this and Bow's pointless late in life pregnancy and always ignored baby on Black-ish, what is up with this franchise writing in pointless pregnancies and babies for no reason?

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Between this and Bow's pointless late in life pregnancy and always ignored baby on Black-ish, what is up with this franchise writing in pointless pregnancies and babies for no reason?

I know for Black-ish, it was because the show runner had a late in life pregnancy in his real life marriage. But just like here, the storyline was ultimately pointless so I'm not sure what he achieved by including that part of his real life in the show.

I liked Nomi as a character, so I was disappointed that her character got taken in this different direction. 

When looking up the actress to see if she'd actually been pregnant, there was an article touting this "brave new direction" and how it's such a common issue among college students, and I was like...is it though? Of all the issues facing college students in the 21st century, I don't think surprise babies that come to campus to live with their student moms are that high on the list.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As for Zoey, I feel that in her defense, tour life is different from the real world. 3am on tour is not the same as 3am in the regular world. And she seems like she's a bit lonely and isolated so she didn't think about what it would look like to everyone else if she was in his trailer at that hour. She learned an important life lesson! But I was rolling my eyes that she quit her job because she thought she couldn't handle an adult job. Really? Your solution to your coworkers gossiping about you is to run away from your dream job (which you quit school for)?

I am surprised that everybody on the tour bus wasn't sleeping with everybody else. I thought that is what all the kids were doing these days. I didn't realize that kids were such prudes these days. Zoey lost her job because she didn't sleep with the boss (but not in the way that you think).

What is the deal with Nomi's baby's daddy, was he not a student? Why was he not around campus to hear what happened to her.

The reveal of Nomi's baby's father was odd. I thought she either didn't remember him, was hiding has identity, or thought he was a jerk. But he turns out be just a regular sweet guy and she only blew him off because she conveniently blacked out during what was apparently the most romantic hang out of all time? And then he's cool with her ghosting for a year and just pops back up to see if she wants to date? Nomi's kind of a douche. She had basically decided never to tell Phil about his child because she didn't feel like dealing with the situation.

So Zoey was at her dream job for what, two months? Also, leaving your job immediately after hearing a rumor that you're having sex with your boss TOTALLY doesn't make it look like you're having sex with your boss, lol.

I laughed at "...so you really kissed a dude?" Vivek is growing on me. Not looking forward to Zoey/Aaron cheating hi jinx or twin tension. Luka is at his most likable when he's co-parenting with Nomi.

• Love 3
On 3/6/2021 at 3:23 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

So Zoey was at her dream job for what, two months? Also, leaving your job immediately after hearing a rumor that you're having sex with your boss TOTALLY doesn't make it look like you're having sex with your boss, lol.

I know they had to make up something for her to leave her job. Especially something like that, that would disappear fairly quickly as long as she didn't do anything else that looked "bad". And, she had to know that it didn't look good. If one of her friends came creeping in the door at 3 am and said she was over at a guy's house that late because they were "just friends", that Zoey wouldn't assume something else is going on?

Like, it's probably not completely fair for people make assumptions like that. But, they didn't exactly harass her or drive her out. I figured there would at least be an accusation of her sleeping her way into her job or something. They gave her looks, not even particularly judging looks...just the kind of looks you'd give someone that was leaving the trailer of a man known for sleeping with members of the team at 3 am after a night of drinking.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2021 at 2:07 PM, tennisgurl said:

Thank you.  Man, baby storylines in certain shows are just pointless.  The only place babies should show up, imo, are in domestic drama shows like 'This is Us' and 'A Million Little Things'  a sitcom set on a college campus to include a baby makes no sense.  It would have only worked if they had really planned to write her out and wanted an exit strategy for the chatracter that wasn't just her wanting to transfer out.  To have her come back with a child in tow is just a tonal misstep for this show, imo.

Regarding another show had a similar situation:

Spoiler

Dear White People had the smarts to have CoCo have an abortion.  She was a super striver, go getter, who had plans to set the world on fire and the way the character was written she most definitely had the potential.  They knew their character, their show and their audience.

On 3/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised that everybody on the tour bus wasn't sleeping with everybody else. I thought that is what all the kids were doing these days. I didn't realize that kids were such prudes these days. Zoey lost her job because she didn't sleep with the boss (but not in the way that you think).

Agreed.  Admittedly I have never been on a music tour, but I have been to camp!  And in a closed community situation like that for a limited time, you don't act the way you do "in real life."  Time runs differently.  You are up at all hours.  Social lines blur, you hang with people you wouldn't normally hang with.  I remember in the R Kelly documentary when they were talking about being on tour and how it was one big party.  Sure it probably isn't as hedonistic now as it was back in the day, but it struck an odd tone for everyone to be judgey like that. 

But, I think it is absolutely on brand for Zoe to bail at the first sign of something not being perfect.  She is nothing if not a quitter!  I think Zoe being flighty and not bright and making bad decisions is a feature and a not a bug.  She is supposed to be that shallow.  We had just forgotten a bit because she is the main character and typically they are granted with some plot armor to mitigate that. 

I really like the development with the twins.  Now that is smart storytelling.  It has a lot of potential.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 2