Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Sexy Beast

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Deputy Baker FINALLY got some well-deserved recognition. 

This episode didn't resonate with me as much as some of the others (maybe because the kids were missing) but high points were Harry's jealous thoughts, conflict over loving the new doctor and hating him, and all of Baker's smartness. 

"He has stupid hair." 😄 

Low points, Harry's wife.  She's pretty clueless, if she doesn't cotton on to there being something seriously wrong with her husband, she deserves the headache from sleeping potions.

Also not feeling Linda freakin' Hamilton at this point. Maybe I will when we know more about her story. But her female agent is lethal and I'm not a fan. The other agent is cool with me. 

• Love 4

I'm waiting for the new doctor to peel off his skin and reveal that he's a green lizard alien, like he was on People of Earth.   The D'arcy actress was also on that goofy show. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Deputy Baker FINALLY got some well-deserved recognition. 

Low points, Harry's wife.  She's pretty clueless, if she doesn't cotton on to there being something seriously wrong with her husband, she deserves the headache from sleeping potions.

Also not feeling Linda freakin' Hamilton at this point. Maybe I will when we know more about her story. But her female agent is lethal and I'm not a fan. The other agent is cool with me. 

If the insulin was filled with poison wouldn't it still be in the cabinet being used by other people at the facility (more deaths)?

I would expect married people to have had enough sex that they would instantly notice when their partner is 100% different in the sack. Oh and since the Harry isn't really human but just projects that illusion only the one kid can see wouldn't he have feel different and smell different up close and personal?

That must be one hell of a Polaroid picture to look that sharp from the time the kid took it in the 50's or 60's till she turned into a General in 2020.

Most covert teams have one partner being the brains and the other being the brawn (killer). Having them be male and female just gives the writers some will they won't they action as well.

I have to admit I liked how they are keeping the alien as being super strong where the pulled that doctors arm out of his socket in 1 second of arm wrestling.

Edited by UnknownK
57 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

I'm waiting for the new doctor to peel off his skin and reveal that he's a green lizard alien, like he was on People of Earth.   The D'arcy actress was also on that goofy show. 

I know!  I'm surprised that there haven't been more comparisons between People of Earth and this show.  Harry did make some comment about a Gray in another episode.

• Love 2

THANK YOU!!! I was racking my brain trying to figure out who the actor playing the new doctor is and where I had seen him.  Couldn't find his character listed on IMDB.  Of COURSE it was People of Earth - one of the truly underrated gems. My brain no longer itches!😁

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I think they speculated that one of the insulin vials was tampered with, not all of them. So the day the poison would be used was random, making it harder to guess who planted it. I also think the doctor would have his own personal supply of insulin, since most insulin-dependent diabetics do, and that it was not a collective supply belonging to the clinic.

• Love 8
(edited)

Prediction: Jimmy stole the prescription pad.

Who is Jimmy? I was thinking maybe the murderer was the real Harry.

I would expect married people to have had enough sex that they would instantly notice when their partner is 100% different in the sack. Oh and since the Harry isn't really human but just projects that illusion only the one kid can see wouldn't he have feel different and smell different up close and personal?

I'm not clear on what's going on here, because in the pilot episode we actually saw the alien physically transform into Harry's human body. So I don't get how Max can see his alien form - it's not just some kind of mental projection. (This is also made clear by Harry needing to adjust himself mid-episode when he left the clinic - clearly there's something physical there.)

I really enjoyed how the episode came full circle to reveal Linda Hamilton as the little girl with the Polaroid. I'd forgotten the whole opening flashback by then.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Prediction: Jimmy stole the prescription pad.

Jimmy is Asta’s abusive ex, right? And she pretty openly accused him of it at the bowling alley. Seems pretty likely, but it could be a red herring. Real Harry being the murderer would be an interesting twist. 

• Love 2

When Linda Hamilton (Is anybody ever going to call her General?) compared the Polaroid to the actual spaceship, I didn't think they looked anything alike, other than both being roughly round.   Also, the ship over the lighthouse looked much, much bigger, like a mothership vs. Harry's individual craft. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I know!  I'm surprised that there haven't been more comparisons between People of Earth and this show.  Harry did make some comment about a Gray in another episode.

Among other things, Harry made it clear to the kid that the Grays are the ones into anal probing, not his people, lol.

I really kick out of how they shot the scene where the sheriff is talking to the new doctor. I don't know why, but Harry's face in the background peeking over the sheriff's shoulder was just hilarious to me. 

Speaking of the sheriff, I was thinking about how they seemed to have dropped it after the first episode or so but then he finally got someone to call him "Big Black". 

I don't know why I thought that Harry's ship was damaged or destroyed. But apparently it was intact somewhere this whole time. I thought he was looking for pieces of it along with his device.  Wasn't that large disc that killed the hiker part of his ship? 

He looked ready to murder someone when he found the ship missing.  I can't wait to see what happens next. I've had enough of the wife but Harry's checklist of pleasuring her was astounding in its awkwardness. But its nice to know he pays attention, he knew where he needed to focus his attentions to achieve the desired results 😆

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, gutbuster said:

I don't know why I thought that Harry's ship was damaged or destroyed. But apparently it was intact somewhere this whole time. I thought he was looking for pieces of it along with his device.  Wasn't that large disc that killed the hiker part of his ship? 

A piece fell off which he was  finding and putting back together so you he could restore the craft and get off the planet (once he found the bomb).

8 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

When Linda Hamilton (Is anybody ever going to call her General?) compared the Polaroid to the actual spaceship, I didn't think they looked anything alike, other than both being roughly round.   Also, the ship over the lighthouse looked much, much bigger, like a mothership vs. Harry's individual craft. 

7 minutes ago, gutbuster said:

Among other things, Harry made it clear to the kid that the Grays are the ones into anal probing, not his people, lol.

So The General has dedicated her life to finding the mysterious aliens, but ends up finding one of the wrong species?  Lol.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah that was confusing. Her reaction was vague to me. The 1970's ship was enormous compared to Harry's. And the part she photographed had details that weren't at all similar to what seemed to be the corresponding structure on Harry's ship. I couldn't tell if she was thinking "okay, I'm finally getting close to something" or if it was frustration that they didn't look alike at all.

I'm not sure what her motivation for looking for the aliens is either. It doesn't seem like curiosity or just trying to prove to people that what she saw was real. She seems aggressively dedicated, and to have made it her life's work, so I would have expected to see some traumatic experience in the flashback/ exposition at the lighthouse. Something provocative, like her father getting killed or abducted to explain the vengeful vibe I'm getting from her.  But maybe they just haven't shown it yet and will expand upon the the flashback later. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not clear on what's going on here, because in the pilot episode we actually saw the alien physically transform into Harry's human body. So I don't get how Max can see his alien form - it's not just some kind of mental projection. (This is also made clear by Harry needing to adjust himself mid-episode when he left the clinic - clearly there's something physical there.)

I really enjoyed how the episode came full circle to reveal Linda Hamilton as the little girl with the Polaroid. I'd forgotten the whole opening flashback by then.

I think it’s a combination of things in that he’s body changed to take on a human form/shape for the most part, but also there is a degree of mind manipulation that the kid can see through...  

And also some tv magic 🙂

I couldn't place the new doctor for the life of me but knew I had seen him somewhere before. Turned out he played Zach on the "The O.C." 

I was surprised Linda Hamilton's character was the little girl in the flashback. I kept thinking it was going to be The Deputy and that is why she told Max she believed him about the aliens. 

I really missed the kids this episode. 

12 hours ago, meep.meep said:

12 hours ago, bigmag said:

THANK YOU!!! I was racking my brain trying to figure out who the actor playing the new doctor is and where I had seen him.  Couldn't find his character listed on IMDB.  Of COURSE it was People of Earth - one of the truly underrated gems. My brain no longer itches!😁

Oh heck yeah, I noted this in the Ep 2 thread - that Alice Wetterlund is in both of these wonderfully quirky shows. Then I'm thinking during this ep, "why does the new doctor seem so familiar?" until I finally realized he was the hot alien on PoE! (There was the hot alien, the Legolas alien, and... Jeff.)

I'll admit that I'm somewhat unclear on the whole spaceship/parts location aspect, but completely love every one of Harry's reactions and his mental commentary. The deputy (not HIS deputy, damnit!) and the little kid are badass as well. Glad she finally got a win here, and I hope to see the kids again soon. (Maybe carrying Harry in a bike basket as he's chased by the feds...)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I'm probably forgetting something that was explained early on, but why was D'arcy in the helicopter on that mountain?   I know she was an Olympic skier, but is she some kind of ski patrol now?

2 hours ago, Suzysite said:

I'm probably forgetting something that was explained early on, but why was D'arcy in the helicopter on that mountain?   I know she was an Olympic skier, but is she some kind of ski patrol now?

One of D'arcy's jobs is Avalanche Control/Defense, the Avalanche Control Team do controlled explosions to trigger an avalanche, but first they have to make sure that nobody is on the mountain. D'arcy almost buried Harry the last time they showed her doing a controlled explosion.  

• Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 9:13 AM, Suzysite said:

What if it turns into the classic Twilight Zone episode "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up" where Harry reveals himself to be an alien to the new doctor, only for the new doctor to reveal himself to be an alien as well, of some other species, and his people are already colonizing Earth and tells Harry to beat it? 

General Linda Hamilton being the little girl from the start all grown up was a nice twist, I wonder if her and her father seeing the ship led to something bad happening, like her father was abducted or killed or he tried to tell people what he saw and no one believed him and their family was ruined? We also learn more about the two agents looking for Harry, and it makes sense based on their characters. The guy was just a normal soldier before this while the women is some kind of scary government spook who is used to killing people, while he is pretty freaked out by all the killing of civilians to cover this up. 

Harry planning on killing everyone while also becoming increasingly fond of people and wanting them to like him is certainly interesting. "I now know what douchbag is." 

• Love 3

I think Harry is looking for smashed up pieces of his "eject pod" or whatever capsule he escaped in to survive the crash of his larger ship. Plus the device that was supposed to kill everyone. That would explain why the intact ship they found in NM is different than the smashed up pieces he's finding in CO.

I missed the kids, too. They are going to be pissed that he backed out of his commitment to say they don't need to send Max away. 

I hope the show doesn't get too fighty. I have been enjoying the humor and am not sure I want it to become an all-out war type situation. 

...Thinking about it more, though, it doesn't make sense that the full ship is intact where he landed in NM, but the escape pod would be smashed up and located in CO where he had to travel to get to it. So now I'm totally confused again.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

...Thinking about it more, though, it doesn't make sense that the full ship is intact where he landed in NM, but the escape pod would be smashed up and located in CO where he had to travel to get to it. So now I'm totally confused again.

I'm confused, too.  Anyone able to explain this?

46 minutes ago, Roxie said:

I'm confused, too.  Anyone able to explain this?

Wasn't it more pieces of his ship/ his device falling off as he passed over Colorado? And then he was able to land the rest of the ship in NM but had to travel back to CO to find the parts of his ship and his device so he could fly home. 

Like part of the engine fell off, but not all of it, so he was able to get to the ground somewhere, just not where the pieces had fallen off. 

It would make sense that the device was mounted to the outside of his ship somewhere so he could use it to destroy life on earth from the atmosphere...

55 minutes ago, roctavia said:

Wasn't it more pieces of his ship/ his device falling off as he passed over Colorado? And then he was able to land the rest of the ship in NM but had to travel back to CO to find the parts of his ship and his device so he could fly home. 

Like part of the engine fell off, but not all of it, so he was able to get to the ground somewhere, just not where the pieces had fallen off. 

It would make sense that the device was mounted to the outside of his ship somewhere so he could use it to destroy life on earth from the atmosphere...

Thanks - this makes sense. 

One thing not explained in the show is where Patience is within Colorado.  If it's closer to the New Mexico line, another part of the ship being in (northern) New Mexico would make more sense.

Other than that, when there's what seems like a plot hole, I follow the advice of another great program, and repeat to myself it's just a show, and I should really just relax.

• Love 5
On 3/4/2021 at 3:29 PM, iMonrey said:

I keep getting mixed-up, too.  But alien Harry didn't take over human Harry's body, since isn't that the body in the freezer?  So he TRANSFORMED and projects HH, and kid sees AH's actual form?  

On 3/5/2021 at 11:32 AM, tennisgurl said:

What if it turns into the classic Twilight Zone episode "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up" where Harry reveals himself to be an alien to the new doctor, only for the new doctor to reveal himself to be an alien as well, of some other species, and his people are already colonizing Earth and tells Harry to beat it? 

😆

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, momo said:

So he TRANSFORMED and projects HH, and kid sees AH's actual form?  

Don't forget that Harry also sees his true alien self when he looks in the mirror.  Yet he was able to make love to human Harry's wife.  So sometimes it's more Quantum Leap and other times it's more Starman.  This is one aspect of the show that requires major hand-waving. 

Regarding Harry's crash, I think the writers have worked out the logical details of what happened where, but because we're seeing it in bits of Harry's flashbacks mixed with bits of real humans' encounters with the debris, it doesn't make sense to us yet. 

I keep getting mixed-up, too.  But alien Harry didn't take over human Harry's body, since isn't that the body in the freezer?  So he TRANSFORMED and projects HH, and kid sees AH's actual form

If he physically transformed into human shape why does he need to project? He obviously has human body parts, as evidenced by his repeated references to his penis (and it's "bad design").

This is one aspect of the show that requires major hand-waving. 

Agreed. It almost seems like there was an earlier version of how this would work and then there was a re-write and they're trying to reconcile two different concepts.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 9:39 AM, UnknownK said:

If the insulin was filled with poison wouldn't it still be in the cabinet being used by other people at the facility (more deaths)?

Presumably the insulin was Sam's personal use and so no longer on the shelf by others. It also could be the case that after Sam died, the killer destroyed or hid the tainted bottle. 

It's easier for me to believe that someone might not realize during sex that the partner is acting differently than all the other time. First, because of the estrangement it might have been a while and the break might make things seem different. But second, you might not be using your big brain during the act.  Whereas the difference between real!Harry in the flashback and alien!Harry seemed pretty pronounced.

The way the show seems to be explaining it is that the process is "molecular reconstruction." So it is more than a mere projection that he is human, and presumably fools the other senses of people as well. 

• Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 3:42 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Jimmy is Asta’s abusive ex, right? And she pretty openly accused him of it at the bowling alley. Seems pretty likely, but it could be a red herring. Real Harry being the murderer would be an interesting twist. 

This would be interesting because I want to like Not Harry, but he did kill Real Harry...

On 3/6/2021 at 9:51 AM, marketdoctor said:

Other than that, when there's what seems like a plot hole, I follow the advice of another great program, and repeat to myself it's just a show, and I should really just relax.

Alien Harry just wants to get into his underwear and watch Jerry Orbach at night.

I just want to get into my pajamas and watch MST3k.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I cannot believe that no one noticed Dr Ethan sounds just like (and looks a lot like) William Hurt, circa Altered States. I had to look up the actor to see if they are related.