Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: There Goes the Neighborhood

jewel21
  • Start Topic

The 118 rush to save a man pinned under a Humvee, and a garage band that rocks out too hard. Enlisting Bobby and Athena's help, Michael installs a new "rear window," and turns into an amateur detective after noticing strange behavior at a nearby apartment. Meanwhile, Hen's mother unexpectedly arrives and announces she is moving to LA, and Buck's re-entry into the dating pool ends in disaster.

Airdate: 03/01/2021

I'm surprised no one had a real issue with Michael essentially being a peeping Tom, heh. I get he's bored, but that's what television is for, dude. I did laugh at Bobby getting into it and then dumpster diving, heh. 

Also, have we ever met Hen's mother before? That was some great casting. I'm not sure how I feel about her living there full time, but I guess time will tell. 

• Love 19

Is there anyone would didn’t guess that Albert and the neighbor would get together?

I wanted a scene with Buck talking to Chim and Maddie where he tells them all about the date.  They both look at him like he’s crazy asking him “you told her that story?”

46 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Michael being a peeping Tom was already over the top, but when he was breaking and entering? I felt like I was watching a show from 50 years ago --like the exploits of Beaver Cleaver or Dennis the Mennace.

I admit to hitting fast forward during all but the denouement scene.  The bonus of watching Rear Window for me is Grace Kelly’s Fashion (with a capital F) and the great Thelma Ritter, who makes everything better.  

1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

I'm surprised no one had a real issue with Michael essentially being a peeping tom, heh. I get he's bored, but that's what television is for, dude. I did laugh at Bobby getting into it and then dumpster diving, heh. Also, have we ever met Hen's mother before? That was some great casting. I'm not how I feel about her living there full time but I guess time will tell. 

Did Athena tell Michael any of legal penalties of spying on people?  How are they going to explain why/how they knew the guy was up to something or to look for the woman?  I did think they were going to go with the plot device that Michael hallucinated the whole thing because he had a brain tumor but quickly remembered all the shenanigans with the others.  That is how much I was paying attention.

They did a great job of casting Hen’s mom.  At first I thought that the styling of the hair and glasses was influencing my perception a bit but during the scene in the car where it was not as noticeable you could better see a mother/daughter resemblance.

Who was the actor playing the neighbor that got hit by the mis-deployed Humvee?  And could anyone identify the patch on Hen’s red jacket?  Baum or Blaum?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Michael being a peeping Tom was already over the top, but when he was breaking and entering? I felt like I was watching a show from 50 years ago --like the exploits of Beaver Cleaver or Dennis the Mennace.

Over 50 years ago since it was the plot to Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window. 

Always a fun plot. I don't get caught up in the logistics of it all. It's tv. 

I've never seen Bobby this animated before. He was gung ho for this real quick. I'm almost feel like he was interested before he got there and was thrilled to go.

Hen's plot got to me. My mom lost her job in 05 and had to spend at least one year with no real place to live. I was able to finally get a small apartment where she lived with me for seven years. Wasn't the greatest for our relationship but I wouldn't change a thing. She had to get a life altering surgery before she got any real assistance. She's ok though. But, seeing Hen's mom sleeping in the car sent me back. They both have short hair too.

The whole theme of neighbors reminded me how much I hate neighbors in apartments and how much I want to punch my neighbors underneath me in the face. Constant stomping around his apartment. Slams and bangs anything he can. His girlfriend, when she visits, is somehow louder. She also is fine with slamming the doors multiple times during arguments and banging on his door to get him to open up which basically means you are banging on my door the way the doors line up.

I don't understand how shitty people can be. And I work 10 to 11 hours a day. He essentially gets the perfect neighbor in me because I'm barely home and I respect my neighbors and try not to make noise. In return, he is the shittiest neighbor I've ever had. Neighbors are often the worst. 

I called Chim's brother being with the tinder date a mile away.

• Love 10
(edited)
41 minutes ago, elle said:

Who was the actor playing the neighbor that got hit by the mis-deployed Humvee?

George Wyner. You may remember him from Spaceballs as second-in-command to Dark Helmet.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I've never seen Bobby this animated before. He was gung ho for this real quick. I'm almost feel like he was interested before he got there and was thrilled to go.

That's what made this episode for me. I found him and David on their trash run really funny ("it was your idea"), and him getting so into the spying with Michael. And the Austin Powers music was just the icing on the cake. Bobby and Michael's relationship is really an unsung jewel in this crown. 

The other funny part that really shouldn't have been was Buck and Eddie with the rooster or whatever that was. 

Aisha Hinds is such a strong actor. She really takes all the material she gets and turns it into shimmering gold.

And yeah, why would Buck tell that story? Just gross. But I wanted chocolate cheesecake after this episode.

• Love 9

Ok, so the Rear Window plot DID bother me more than entertained me. I think it's more because the show didn't make it clear ENOUGH how wrong Michael was in him spying on his neighbours. You wanna people watch? Train the telescope to the street or something, not in people's windows. I figured that Michael would end up being correct about the guy with blood on his hands because it was either teach Michael a lesson or have Michael be right, and this show will always go the route where Athena can get involved.

Despite my hardcore "Don't illegally spy on people in their homes, goddamnit!" feelings, I thoroughly enjoyed Bobby getting into it because he hasn't been actively involved in a plot like this for a while and he looked the most excited he has in a long time. I also thoroughly enjoyed David's side eye and reluctantly becoming an accomplice. 

I figured Buck's Tindr date would end up with Albert. But I would say that it shouldn't matter too much since Buck wasn't interested in her either.

Aisha Hinds is such a treasure. Hen's plot was super strong and I felt bad for her mother by the end. They did a great job setting up that conflict and resolution. The one thing that I love about this show is that it always spreads out major plotlines with all of their major characters. So many ensemble shows seem to favour one or two characters and then leave out another character or two from major plots. This show has never wavered on equal storylines for their characters.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I figured Buck's Tindr date would end up with Albert. But I would say that it shouldn't matter too much since Buck wasn't interested in her either.

To me it was more of a “don’t date where you sleep” kind of thing.  If it goes bad with Albert, they still have the angry girl down the hall they have to see all the time.  Now it’s back to being uncomfortable, but at least it won’t be for Buck.  

• Love 7

Poor Buck. A date from hell. Or in a minefield since that woman found a way to be offended at anything he said. Also, Buck please, poop story it's not a story for a date. 😉

I really don't like the Hen character and now we have two of them. I hope there won't be too much of mama Hen.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

Did the guy not have blinds he could close? Obviously he didn't seem to have a problem with openly displaying his activities to the world.

Yeah, surely he noticed the GIANT WALL OF WINDOWS right across from his apartment (or courtyard, not sure of the arrangement).

I didn't like Hen's mother, and I can't see that her moving in will work out well. Hen has a challenging full time job, she's going to medical school  (at night? or something), she has 2 small kids and a rather clingy wife; add a disruptive old lady living with them, and you've got a looming disaster.

Mom is 64, so she should be able to qualify for some kind of subsidized/elderly housing soon, if she can't find a rent-paying job.

• Love 3

Another fairly light and fun episode. 

I liked the role-reversal of the kid having to go and yell at his mom and her band in the garage.  Not gonna lie, I'd go see Mother Plague at an open mic or something.

I didn't mind Michael's plot or got too caught up in the IRL logistics.  I took it in the spirit of the show wanting to do a pure homage to Rear Window.  Complete with the big villain becoming suspicious because he took out trash.  I head wank they got the set of Michael's apartment and those windows and thought "yeah, we need to do a Rear Window" homage.  Also, Michael's apartment is sweet!

Bobby made the plot for me tho, I love how it took him no time at ALL to get into the spirit of it.  The use of music on this show is always so spot on.  And I thought the use of Soul Bossa Nova as he music for Bobby and David's trash caper was perfect!

The Turkey rescue was also a fun scene.  I liked it because you had no idea was 'Sonny' was until Buck and Eddie turned around.  And the cuts between the different conversations.  And finally the old west stand off between Buck/Eddie and Sonny -- in slo mo.

12 hours ago, elle said:

They did a great job of casting Hen’s mom.  At first I thought that the styling of the hair and glasses was influencing my perception a bit but during the scene in the car where it was not as noticeable you could better see a mother/daughter resemblance.

That was fantastic casting.  Marsha Warfield.  I recognized her by her voice before I recognized her face.

Buck dodged a bullet.  If girlfriend is that sour and takes everything so seriously no wonder her dating life sucks.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
34 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

If girlfriend is that sour and takes everything so seriously no wonder her dating life sucks.

I had a similar thought - I thought "Maybe you're struggling with dating because you're kind of an asshole." She just seemed like a pill.

35 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Bobby made the plot for me tho, I love how it took him no time at ALL to get into the spirit of it.  The use of music on this show is always so spot on.  And I thought the use of Soul Bossa Nova as he music for Bobby and David's trash caper was perfect!

I thought their caper was hilarious. I also liked that the show touched on non-essential workers - like, of course most of the cast of the show remains employed because there will always be emergencies, but there are fields that are shrinking. If Michael works in the commercial space, it stands to reason that he hasn't worked in a while.

12 hours ago, tvgoddess said:

Bobby and Michael's relationship is really an unsung jewel in this crown. 

I love it when they do stuff together. Remember when they were blowing out walls in Bobby and Athena's house? 

The little girl who plays Nia is so cute. Where do I know Hen's mother from? I recognize her face but I can't place her.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, elle said:

Is there anyone would didn’t guess that Albert and the neighbor would get together?

I wanted a scene with Buck talking to Chim and Maddie where he tells them all about the date.  They both look at him like he’s crazy asking him “you told her that story?”

I admit to hitting fast forward during all but the denouement scene.  The bonus of watching Rear Window for me is Grace Kelly’s Fashion (with a capital F) and the great Thelma Ritter, who makes everything better.  

Did Athena tell Michael any of legal penalties of spying on people?  How are they going to explain why/how they knew the guy was up to something or to look for the woman?  I did think they were going to go with the plot device that Michael hallucinated the whole thing because he had a brain tumor but quickly remembered all the shenanigans with the others.  That is how much I was paying attention.

Who was the actor playing the neighbor that got hit by the mis-deployed Humvee?  And could anyone identify the patch on Hen’s red jacket?  Baum or Blaum?

https://wornontv.net/212547/ Hen’s cow print tee and red bomber jacket on 9-1-1

5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I had a similar thought - I thought "Maybe you're struggling with dating because you're kind of an asshole." She just seemed like a pill.

I thought their caper was hilarious. I also liked that the show touched on non-essential workers - like, of course most of the cast of the show remains employed because there will always be emergencies, but there are fields that are shrinking. If Michael works in the commercial space, it stands to reason that he hasn't worked in a while.

I love it when they do stuff together. Remember when they were blowing out walls in Bobby and Athena's house? 

The little girl who plays Nia is so cute. Where do I know Hen's mother from? I recognize her face but I can't place her.

https://www.marshawarfield.com/

(edited)

I am glad we got another fun episode, complete with Rear Window homage and a running theme of wacky neighbor hijinks. My favorite calls were probably the teenager who keeps telling his mom to keep her rock and roll down and the turkey run amok. Especially Buck and Eddy chasing Sonny down in slow motion and how long it took to explain who/what Sonny was. I also laughed at the ending montage where the neighbor who had been complaining about his neighbors play ground was sitting outside in his wheelchair with a measuring stick while the neighbor was giving him a thumbs up. 

The story with Hen was really good, her mom really did look a lot like her the actress did a great job. I can see why Hen gets frustrated with her mom but they also showed how much Hen's mom loves her and tried her best to be the best mom she could, even with their conflicting personalities. Not sure how things will go with Mama Hen living with them, but she at least seems to be good with the kids. 

I kept waiting for Athena to give Michael more of a telling off when she realized that he was spying on his neighbors, which is pretty creepy even if he seems to be only doing innocuous things while he watches. However, I just rolled with it as the show clearly really just wanted to do a Rear Window plot and I love when Bobby and Michael hang out, especially as Bobby got totally onboard. Bobby usually plays straight man/team dad to the hijinks of the rest of the crew, so him getting really into this seemingly silly adventure complete with digging through trash was really fun to see. Bobby and Michael are one of my favorite friendships on the show, and I liked seeing more of David as well. His side eye followed by getting reluctantly dragged into the garbage caper was cracking me up. 

Poor Buck really has no luck with women. He probably came in too hot with the poop story, but considering what he deals with every day as a first responder he is probably so jaded that he didn't think that a story like that could be a bit off-putting to someone who isn't used to it. He probably thought that a first date story, especially where it ended up working out, would kill on a first date, but he really misread that one. His date seemed like a real killjoy, he probably dodged a bullet. She seemed like the kind of person who gets really angry and offended at everything anyone says and that just sounds exhausting to deal with, especially for human puppy dog Buck. Its clear that he wasn't trying to cruelly mock this women he helped save OR say anything about your weight, stop being such a pill. Of course she hooks up with Albert though, should have seen that one coming. If they break up, it should really be more awkward for Albert then Buck in the long term. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, stormymac said:

She played Roz, one of the bailiffs on Night Court.

1 hour ago, stormymac said:

Where do I know Hen's mother from? I recognize her face but I can't place her.

According to IMDB she hasn't had a role in over 20 years.

• Love 1

Did the guy not have blinds he could close? Obviously he didn't seem to have a problem with openly displaying his activities to the world. Not that it makes it okay, but just saying.

I can never understand that, when I go to big cities with apartment buildings people don't close their blinds or curtains, I guess they figure nobody cares enough to spy on them. 

That was fantastic casting.  Marsha Warfield.  I recognized her by her voice before I recognized her face.

Wow, I did not recognize her. It's been years.

• Love 5

I really do enjoy Michael and Bobby's friendship. I like how Athena first tried to distract Michael by having May ask him out to dinner and when that didn't work, she knew she had to send Bobby over for a playdate. My only issue with the whole caper is that Harry was staying over and they all but forgot about him.

I like Michael and David's relationship. When Michael said something to the affect of "I had to go ahead and fall in love with a surgeon," I smiled because I'm glad he found someone.

Michael entering the guy's apartment pissed me off. I was yelling at the screen "This kind of behavior gets Black people killed first in horror movies. Do better!"

Buck's date was the worst. I'm glad I'm not out here trying to date because that was painful.

5 hours ago, lorbeer said:

Poor Buck. A date from hell. Or in a minefield since that woman found a way to be offended at anything he said. Also, Buck please, poop story it's not a story for a date. 😉

Not just a date...a DINNER date.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Chardee MacDennis said:

Did anyone notice Michael’s apartment is directly across from the Cecil Hotel?

Yes!! I totally thought they were going to see something strange going on at The Cecil with the Rear Window story (which I loved).  

Marsha Warfield as Hen’s mom was great casting! 

• Love 2

It was great to see Marsha Warfield, but I still felt for Hen.  Having your own mother be jealous of you and undermine your ambition is tough.  I  thought her mom deliberately slept in her car in their neighborhood, so they would find out without her having to tell them.  If she was trying to keep it a secret, she could have parked her vehicle in another place.  Her claim that she was proud of Hen was BS, but hey, it seems Hen has made peace with her, the kids get to spend time with their grandmother, and Hen and Karen get some childcare assistance. 

The Rear Window homage was fun.  I instantly knew Athena would send Bobby over once May's invitation fell flat. Those two have a great friendship.  Poor David getting caught up in the drama! 

The woman on Buck's date was definitely uptight, but Buck also came off immature.  He's a big kid in most ways, so I don't know what kind of woman he'd be compatible with. I guess a woman of equal immaturity? Lid for every pot.      

On 3/2/2021 at 12:26 PM, tvgoddess said:

Did the guy not have blinds he could close? Obviously he didn't seem to have a problem with openly displaying his activities to the world. Not that it makes it okay, but just saying.

Weirdly, I have noticed sometimes that if you live in a high rise you have a false feeling of privacy despite giant windows. 

The caper was fun, but it was hard for me to forget that Athena just went after a guy who was peeping using a drone, so the telescope seemed like the same thing, even though the motive was different.

Actually, if I remember correctly the issue with the drone was video/photos, not just looking. I can't speak for LA but most places if you leave your blinds open, you have no expectation of privacy. You're just assuming no one is looking. I know in NYC people mostly assume no one is looking or caring, but it's not illegal to look in open windows. Yet another reason I don't want to live on the ground floor! I know it's an homage, but the only part I had an issue with was him going into the apartment since he didn't see the woman until he was inside. It was trespassing and he could have gotten in trouble. But it worked out and we got some awesome Michael/Bobby time and David showed up as the third Musketeer and I love their friendship. And how even Athena knows bringing in Bobby was the big guns for Michael's situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Actually, if I remember correctly the issue with the drone was video/photos, not just looking. I can't speak for LA but most places if you leave your blinds open, you have no expectation of privacy. You're just assuming no one is looking. I know in NYC people mostly assume no one is looking or caring, but it's not illegal to look in open windows. Yet another reason I don't want to live on the ground floor! I know it's an homage, but the only part I had an issue with was him going into the apartment since he didn't see the woman until he was inside. It was trespassing and he could have gotten in trouble. But it worked out and we got some awesome Michael/Bobby time and David showed up as the third Musketeer and I love their friendship. And how even Athena knows bringing in Bobby was the big guns for Michael's situation.

Yes, I think it depends on what the legal definition of the Peeping Tom laws are in the specific jurisdiction.  Some make the distinction of being illegal if the peeper is either on the person's property and looking into their windows, or if you are looking into spaces where the person has an expectation of privacy -- specifically bedrooms, bathrooms, or dressing rooms -- for purposes prurient or sexual in nature.  It may be that a living space where there are no curtains and the activities of the person(s) are clearly visible to anyone looking, may not rise to the level of expectation of privacy.

WRT to the drone guy, his drone was flying onto other people's properties so he was actually trespassing and operating the drone without a license, that is what got his drone confiscated and him arrested.  But then Athena saw the pictures and videos were of women in their bedrooms, usually undressing.  So he clearly fit the broad definition.

Michael watching people through their big no-curtain windows may simply not have been illegal depending on the strict definition of the law.  But him going into the guys apartment was flat out trespassing, so that was crossing a very clear line.

• Love 2

I will admit that I visited my girlfriend in Manhattan one summer, and we were staying at an apartment sitting situation with huge windows. It was summer, it was hot, we were walking around the apartment naked. Glance up and see across the street a man standing in his window, naked, waving at us. No telescope needed! I don't think the place had curtains OR air conditioning. And the windows didn't open, either.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, possibilities said:

I will admit that I visited my girlfriend in Manhattan one summer, and we were staying at an apartment sitting situation with huge windows. It was summer, it was hot, we were walking around the apartment naked. Glance up and see across the street a man standing in his window, naked, waving at us. No telescope needed! I don't think the place had curtains OR air conditioning. And the windows didn't open, either.

I think I would die of embarrassment lol. Sometimes I go around my apartment between rooms not completely dressed but it's far back from the windows so you would really have to be looking.

• Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, possibilities said:

Well, he sounds friendly.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 10:37 PM, tvgoddess said:

The other funny part that really shouldn't have been was Buck and Eddie with the rooster or whatever that was.

We have wild turkeys in our neighborhood often. But there's one person on the corner who likes to feed them. Which creates a traffic hazard. Very annoying. I haven't seen any of them get aggressive - it's usually a whole flock. It is kind of fun to see the males strutting with their tail feathers fanned - but not when they're in my way.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:27 AM, DearEvette said:

I didn't recognize her! It's been a long time since Night Court and I was paying more attention to how she looked like Hen.

• Love 2

I've only seen a wild turkey get aggressive when it has babies it's defending. But I imagine that a turkey who spends time in a highly populated by humans neighborhood might have had some unpleasant encounters, such as humans throwing rocks at it, yelling at it, trying to scare it, so might have developed a defensive posture. 

• Love 1
On 3/15/2021 at 9:20 AM, Clanstarling said:

We have wild turkeys in our neighborhood often.

They are also endemic in Staten Island...enough so that they will also attack/get in the way. Between them and the deer (which swam over from New Jersey), Staten Island has a fair amount of urban wildlife.

• Love 1