Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Buried

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

As the SWAT team helps the LAPD search for the prime suspect in a woman’s disappearance, they’re joined in the field by a new team member. The personal strain between Chris and Street comes to a head as both await Hicks’ decision on who the winner is of a prestigious leadership competition.

letter-f.jpg

I could write a long, in-depth review of everything that went wrong...but I feel it could be summed up in one sentence.

Heck, just one word.

Fishing.

The past few episodes have seen this show abandon just about everything that made it good and started to try everything- anything- in some kind of bid to experiment for some reason.

I know I said last season this show felt like it needed something to punch it up. Even earlier this season I said the same thing.

I just didn't think they'd abandon their principles and their characterizations to do it. I had hoped they'd stay true to the stories and the characters and what they did before.

Not whatever...this...is.

• Love 2

I'm confused. They ditched Erika to bring in a Molly clone?

At first I thought that was her doing the shooting.

And Street...

Well, it was a big surprise that Chris won the competition. So, I guess the death of Erika was totally worth it.

• Love 3

To be fair, I don't think Norma Kuhling- the Chicago Med. alum who played the new SWAT member, Nora Fowler- did that badly in this episode. I don't think she was given a whole lot to do except brood over being cast to the sidelines by Hondo.

I felt the writing and direction for her was- no surprise here- pretty terrible. I find it hard to believe Hicks couldn't find someone more qualified to take Erika's place, and you'd think he'd at least ask Hondo and Rocker what their opinions on new candidates would be before thrusting someone new on to them.

I also really don't know how many times you're going to need a "SWAT medic" in the field. The few times we've seen people need medical attention- like when Deacon took care of the fallen firefighter- the team has shown they're more than capable of fulfilling the job.

What the team really needs- and I've been saying this for years now- is someone with investigative expertise and someone who's job it is to interview witnesses and suspects. A "SWAT detective" if you will. Yeah, in real life, SWAT and detective work are separate, but if we are to believe that, in this world, that SWAT also conducts investigations then let's have at least one SWAT member who's actually trained in that field and whose role it is to fulfill that role.

At least in C.S.I. Police Captain Jim Brass was actually a member of the unit. S.W.A.T. doesn't employ a similar team member.

Which I think would be a better use of Kuhling's skill set. She seems to me like she's the expressive type, like Shemar Moore is (and the guy we badly need back, Kenny Johnson), but she was held back in this episode. I don't know if it was the directing or the coaching that made her do it, but Kuhling just didn't feel like...herself in this episode.

I guess we'll see how it goes in the coming weeks.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

I also really don't know how many times you're going to need a "SWAT medic" in the field. The few times we've seen people need medical attention- like when Deacon took care of the fallen firefighter- the team has shown they're more than capable of fulfilling the job.

What the team really needs- and I've been saying this for years now- is someone with investigative expertise and someone who's job it is to interview witnesses and suspects. A "SWAT detective" if you will. Yeah, in real life, SWAT and detective work are separate, but if we are to believe that, in this world, that SWAT also conducts investigations then let's have at least one SWAT member who's actually trained in that field and whose role it is to fulfill that role.

At least in C.S.I. Police Captain Jim Brass was actually a member of the unit. S.W.A.T. doesn't employ a similar team member.

So we now know a plot is coming where it is not safe for Fire Department paramedics to move in

In the legacy show Luca was an ex undercover officer. Here  he is now like third generation S.W.A.T. The producers seem willing to wait on Kenny Johnson's recovery. Alonso came from Metro dog handlers platoon, Street from Long Beach S.W.A.T. To be something beyond Asian I think Tan could be the candidate for a member with investigative experience beyond patrol.

If I remember the CSI pilot correctly Captain Brass commanded the lab before he was relieved of his command  after one of his CSI's was killed when she went in alone. The lab command was turned over to a criminalist, first Grissom then others for the rest of the series. But as a homicide detective supervisor he and sometimes other detectives worked with the CSI's

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 2:14 AM, Sweet Tooth said:

I'm confused. They ditched Erika to bring in a Molly clone?

That's what I thought. The producers seem to have a type.

I have never seen Norma Kuhling before, but I thought she did a good job establishing her character.  She made the character likeable in my opinion.  

I really dislike Molly, but not because of her relationship with Street.  The actress just does nothing for me.  Her attempt to emote over the break-up with Street was painful.  She's easily the worst actor on the show.

That last scene of Chris and her one night stand was surprising.  I laughed when Chris told the guy there wouldn't be an in case.  That was cold.  Bender!Chris looks like a real mess.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 3

I thought the rescue scene was ridiculous..  Hondo was a 'medic' so he goes instead of a fully  trained medical professional? Its  not like they were in any danger of getting shot or something, it was totally a rescue mission.  Her abductor wasn't in that well/mineshaft/whatever with her.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I really dislike Molly, but not because of her relationship with Street.  The actress just does nothing for me.  Her attempt to emote over the break-up with Street was painful.  She's easily the worst actor on the show.

She's gotten only slightly better than when we first met her, but yeah, when she first came on the scene I thought she was wooden. Then when she got with Street, I was like, "Crap. We're going to be seeing a lot more of her." 

And like with most female characters on the show, they didn't flesh her out much beyond "Street's girlfriend. Hicks' daughter." 

I thought Kuhling was great, and if they hadn't gotten rid of Erika for her, I would have been totally happy to see her. BTW, who thinks something is up with her son? Like she lost custody or something? She keeps looking at his picture.

1 hour ago, jabRI said:

I thought the rescue scene was ridiculous..  Hondo was a 'medic' so he goes instead of a fully  trained medical professional? Its  not like they were in any danger of getting shot or something, it was totally a rescue mission.  Her abductor wasn't in that well/mineshaft/whatever with her.

That seemed like it was done purely for plot purposes. He doubted her shooting skills, not her medical ones. Him wanting to keep her out of danger, so he didn't have to worry about her messing up an operation she hasn't trained for, made sense. Him not letting her into that hole was pure nonsense. He should have said, "Okay, now you can do your thing." Like, the whole show he kept saying if someone was injured, he'd call for her. Finally, when there was ABSOLUTELY NO DANGER, and an injured person on the brink of death, he's going to say she can't come down? Even after she said the woman wouldn't survive being pulled up? Nope.

17 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I felt the writing and direction for her was- no surprise here- pretty terrible. I find it hard to believe Hicks couldn't find someone more qualified to take Erika's place, and you'd think he'd at least ask Hondo and Rocker what their opinions on new candidates would be before thrusting someone new on to them.

Hicks is someone who understands the importance of team dynamic. To just throw her out there after she's barely met the team and go into dangerous situations at the beginning, before they know if anyone is injured, made no sense. 

It was because of the way Hicks handled it that she got the cold shoulder from Hondo in the first place, rather than integrating her organically.

@Raja

So we now know a plot is coming where it is not safe for Fire Department paramedics to move in

When there's an active shooter, they won't enter, so I assume that will be what happens.

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, momo said:

I liked Norma Kuhling so much more on SWAT than Chicago Med- she must be a good actress!

Do remember though, when her character first started on Med, she was strong and only cared about being the best. And then the writers tried to put her with Colin Donnell's character, and she devolved into only existing to be drama for him, going from top surgeon, to loving Rhodes, to being obsessed with him, to murdering his father, to committing suicide. It was really pathetic what they turned her character into.

• Love 1
On 3/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, jabRI said:

damn that was cold street, then 'say something' like she owes you anything

And all because he loves someone who is unobtainable. He threw away a good relationship over a pipe dream. It's pathetic, IMO. And this type of relationship drama is not what this show needs, and is not what it was about when it first began. It's pointless. I can't root for Street anymore because of what the writers have turned him into. I watched the show for action and the cases. Not for another forced relationship that doesn't need to happen. I used to really look forward to this show, but it's becoming a chore to watch. Hondo's scenes, as well as the action scenes, are the only good things about this show anymore.

• Love 1

What is Kenny Johnson’s situation? I thought Luka’s injury was just the character and his weird absence for the leadership thing was maybe a cost cutting measure, but was Kenny really injured?

I mostly liked the episode and the new team member, but I agree that she should have gone in the hole first to treat the victim, not Honda. That made no sense. And I don’t like that they have Chris spiraling, including one night stands. Molly should be thankful Street is no longer dating the boss’s daughter. That was just awkward, especially given how protective Hicks is

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

Do remember though, when her character first started on Med, she was strong and only cared about being the best. And then the writers tried to put her with Colin Donnell's character, and she devolved into only existing to be drama for him, going from top surgeon, to loving Rhodes, to being obsessed with him, to murdering his father, to committing suicide. It was really pathetic what they turned her character into.

I think you were just talking about this character. Weird that the actress turned up here, right?

16 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

And all because he loves someone who is unobtainable. He threw away a good relationship over a pipe dream. It's pathetic, IMO.

Chris turned him down point-blank, so I'm guessing it's that now he knows what real looooooove feels like, and he doesn't have it with Molly. 

It's crazy, and you know this ship is going to turn around, and he and Chris will be a thing. But if he hounds her while on the job, that will be putting Street into a whole new category. Because she didn't just say no, she said HELL NO.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, DanaK said:

What is Kenny Johnson’s situation? I thought Luka’s injury was just the character and his weird absence for the leadership thing was maybe a cost cutting measure, but was Kenny really injured?

I mostly liked the episode and the new team member, but I agree that she should have gone in the hole first to treat the victim, not Honda. That made no sense. And I don’t like that they have Chris spiraling, including one night stands. Molly should be thankful Street is no longer dating the boss’s daughter. That was just awkward, especially given how protective Hicks is

Hicks was fine with Street dating his daughter. Street actually told him last season, and Hicks said, as captain, he didn't mind him dating his daughter. As a father, he advised Street he would be protective if he broke his daughter's heart. That's why it would have been nice to see their relationship workout, as Jim goes from the screw-up to winning the heart of his boss' daughter. I remember saying that with Jim dating Molly, he can't screw that up, just because of who her father is. That's a better storyline than seeing the repeated trope on all shows these days where a man and woman who work together must fall in love with each other.

And it hasn't been reported, but I do think Kenny Johnson really had some kind of health crisis last season, when you consider the number of episodes he missed last year. And it's probably something that makes him more susceptible to COVID-19, which is why none of his scenes this season have been on set with other actors. He's probably doing the virtual scenes from his own home.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, WinJet0819 said:

It hasn't been reported, but I do think Kenny Johnson really had some kind of health crisis last season, when you consider the number of episodes he missed last year. And it's probably something that makes him more susceptible to COVID-19, which is why none of his scenes this season have been on set with other actors. He's probably doing the virtual scenes from his own home.

Kenny wrote on Twitter that he will be back in action- and not behind a screen- in Episode 412. So not this upcoming week (according to The Futon Critic) but next week. To bolster his statement, he posted pictures of himself alongside the cast and crew on location.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, momo said:

I liked Norma Kuhling so much more on SWAT than Chicago Med- she must be a good actress!

That's where I knew her from! Thanks. I didn't really like her character there, but I liked her here

• Love 1

Count me in the camp that thought Medic was Molly.  I get Hondo was put in a weird situation, but her constant complaining at the beginning was really annoying.  He put her on the side the first time she went out with them and she was like “that’s it, I quit”.  Whatever.

Chris’s new gig is overseas, that’s what I heard?  Why on earth would they do that?  Show, just have the damn team together saving people.

A Chevy Impala outran two Dodge Chargers with supercharged engines.  Gotta love it, go Chevy!

The not-actually bad guy was played by Haywire from Prison Break, I believe, so it’s no wonder no one trusted him.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

Chris’s new gig is overseas, that’s what I heard?  Why on earth would they do that?  Show, just have the damn team together saving people.

The TLI competition isn't a permanent gig. Christina explained what it was earlier in the season. The winner goes over to Europe to run security exercises with other anti-terrorist groups. It's a chance to show leadership ability which will set them up for a promotion down the road. Though if the writer's chose to make this show SWAT Anatomy, Christina's spiral storyline because of Erica's death will cause her to lose the opportunity, or she'll let it go so she can smooch with Street. That's how little faith I have in the writers for this show.

• LOL 3

I really hate the way Chris’ character being written now, she becomes so unlikeable & messy. I wish they kill her instead of Erica. 
I don’t hate or like Molly, but I like her relationship wt Street, they can be normal together after what Street have gone thru. And now Street has thrown that away just because he has stronger feeling for a greasy hair lady wt lots of emotional baggage?? Come on man!

I love seeing how happy Tan was for Chris, he seems genuine. I used to love the dynamic between Street/Tan/Chris, why the writers have to mess this up, ughhh!

15 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I really hate the way Chris’ character being written now, she becomes so unlikeable & messy. 

Yeah, she's fucked up alright.  When I saw the preview for this episode I thought Tan's visit to her house was the day after her one night stand.  But, apparently she recovered from that night and went out drinking again and got into a fight. My question is when would Tan have to tell someone what he knows about Chris. 

I thought Street seemed weirdly disengaged about her injury.  Of course she didn't drop a blender on her face.  Come on, Street.  Use your brain.

I thought there should have been a conversation between Street and Tan regarding Chris.  

I liked Tan being supportive and helpful, even though I think he should be sounding the alarm on Chris.

I liked the storyline with Peter Onorati.  I can't remember the character name.  It was cool that Hicks saw his need to be involved and gave him something to do.

Edited by nittany cougar