Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New York (2021)

• Start Topic

When I found out this was happening, I added a calendar reminder so I wouldn't forget. It's probably the first thing I'm excited to watch on CBS All Access, now Paramount +, and I wish they had more of what I consider the good seasons on demand. 

Heather B needs to have a talk show, or a podcast if she doesn't already. I've always loved her for the "they use what you gave 'em" line at the reunion with 3-4 Real World casts, and she was just awesome energy on this episode. I want her suitcase bar. 

As someone said upthread, I'm probably most interested to see Kevin and his interactions, though I hope we also get more general "this has been my life" moments. I need an escape from the real real world, with some meaningful conversation for flavor, not meaningful conversation with a hint of escapism. I also hope that it stays true to the spirit of the first season of the show, without a lot of the modern-day tricks reality producers have to incite drama and emotionally manipulate participants. I'm sure there was some of that the first time, but also they had a great cast. Hopefully they let the cast do the work. 

Also, I feel like Norm was probably one of the first gay people I saw on television. I didn't realize that until seeing him again. That's....crazy. There's probably something interesting in a comparison between him and Kevin, because I don't remember Norm talking about being gay that much, whereas Kevin was an activist talking about race. Which ultimately had more impact on people/pop culture, if either did?

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I need Becky to be among the people who realize how clueless and obnoxious they were back then. Because she was one of the most know-it-all-y 24-year-olds ever and I need her to look back on that and see that it was obnoxious. But something about Becky makes me think she's probably very similar now to how she was then. She's probably a know-it-all 50-something too, lol.

She said she came into the loft very cocky and overly confident, but, yeah, the previews have me wondering about Becky.

4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also, the funniest line of the episode for me was Eric's "why am I so red??" when they took the selfie. I was wondering the same, why WAS he so red? That was some messed up lighting.

I fell out at Heather's response: "Because you have COVID, motherfucker."  Heather had me cracking up practically the whole episode.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She said she came into the loft very cocky and overly confident, but, yeah, the previews have me wondering about Becky.

I fell out at Heather's response: "Because you have COVID, motherfucker."  Heather had me cracking up practically the whole episode.

Yeah, the "some of us have grown up and some of us haven't" was very reminiscent of 1992 Becky's lofty "some of us are adults and you kids (Julie, Heather, Eric) just don't understand what the grownups are going through" speech.

Another thing I'd like to see covered is her affair with the director that got him fired. IIRC, she was quite blasé about it at the time and a bit arrogant with her "he was little too into ME" remarks. 

Because I may just have a problem, I watched it AGAIN today the part where Eric announces he has Covid was kind of interesting. Someone says "you tested positive?" and the phrasing made me reflect on the fact that when they were there the first time, someone saying they'd "tested positive" would have been talking about HIV. It's incredible to think of the strides we've made in that disease, in 1992, it was still considered a death sentence.

As someone said upthread, I'm probably most interested to see Kevin and his interactions, though I hope we also get more general "this has been my life" moments. I need an escape from the real real world, with some meaningful conversation for flavor, not meaningful conversation with a hint of escapism. I also hope that it stays true to the spirit of the first season of the show, without a lot of the modern-day tricks reality producers have to incite drama and emotionally manipulate participants. I'm sure there was some of that the first time, but also they had a great cast. Hopefully they let the cast do the work. 

Agreed. I'm so interested in hearing them talk about what they're doing, more about what they did right after the show, reactions to what their show spawned in terms of the reality TV explosion. I'm less excited to see them argue about real life stuff.

Also, I loved the bits of unseen footage, more of that please. I don't remember them watching the L.A. riots or even discussing them at the time.

I'm interested to hear Kevin's point of view, but I didn't care for his soundbite of "my roommates just had no idea about American history." it was statements like that that made him come across as so intractable in every debate in the original show, so I was disappointed to hear him still painting with such a broad brush after all these years.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Because I may just have a problem, I watched it AGAIN today the part where Eric announces he has Covid was kind of interesting. Someone says "you tested positive?" and the phrasing made me reflect on the fact that when they were there the first time, someone saying they'd "tested positive" would have been talking about HIV. It's incredible to think of the strides we've made in that disease, in 1992, it was still considered a death sentence.

I didn't even catch this parallel on the first viewing! It's so interesting how the pressing social issues of their formative years can dictate the way the use language and process social issues 30 years later. (Honestly, it will be interesting in the future to see what aftermath from this pandemic echos past pandemics, and what else mirrors our last major infection crisis in the US)

• Love 4

Just caught the first episode on Youtube and was transfixed. I must have watched the original season in its entirety at least a dozen times, back when MTV had it in heavy rotation. It felt oddly personal to watch this; it made me think of my own old friends that I haven't seen for a couple of decades or more. It's good to see that most of these people have had some emotional growth but are also still recognizable as themselves. Becky was and is fabulous. Eric seems like he's shed the superficiality. Julie is the one I'm not sure of yet... she seemed tense, which is so different from how she was at 19. I don't know if she has some hesitancy about this experience or if there's something else going on. We shall see. I'm in!

• Love 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, shantown said:

MTV doesn’t have to - did you see that suitcase full of bottles Heather B showed up with?!

I believe I heard one of them say that they were there for “another six days” so a week in total. That seems like a good amount of time - short enough for people to get away for a “vacation” but long enough to get into a little bit of drama. 

They were only filming for a week?  No wonder Eric never made it into the loft.  Poor guy was still sick and in quarantine when the rest of them were on their way back home.

I truly enjoyed this first episode.  Brought back so many memories for me.  My son was a toddler at the time and I would hand over the night time parenting routine to my husband and settle in to watch “my show”.   I was a fan of The Real World and faithfully watched until the end of the first Las Vegas season when it lost its luster.  

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also, I loved the bits of unseen footage, more of that please. I don't remember them watching the L.A. riots or even discussing them at the time.

I'm such a nerd - I bought the Real World New York dvds like 10 or 15 years ago. Jonathan Murray (the co creator/executive producer) has commentary on them that discusses the fact that they didn't want the show to seem dated so they cut out anything that time stamped it too much.  Julie and Kevin's argument happened right after Rodney King and he said that Kevin always felt that the producers should have included that for context - and in retrospect he agrees. Emotions were high.

Edited by Miss Slay
  • Useful 8
  • Love 7

I am most interested in and impressed by Eric and Andre. Both seem so mature and content with their lives.

Eric was smokin' hot in 1992, and still looks very good, a testament to clean living. His career may not have gone as planned, but really, whose has ? 

I thought Andre was high in 1992 but he may have been shy, preoccupied with his music, and possibly portrayed as the easygoing mellow musician. He looks great too. I like it when men go gray naturally, and I bet he's a great dad.

I couldn't stand Becki in 1992 and still don't care for her. I am about the same age and knew lots of allegedly tortured soul coffeehouse girls like her. Whatever. 

I think Kevin is intelligent but his message gets lost in his anger, even now. He generalizes and makes assumptions about everyone. He has a right to speak his mind but doesn't want to hear what others have to say. 

I would love to hang out with Julie and Heather. I think Heather is a super cool person. 

• Love 8

Andre’s mannerisms are so gentle and quiet.  I admit, when I was 14, Eric was smokin; however seeing Andre in those flashbacks...what was I thinking!  Andre was gorgeous.  I’m from the Pacific Northwest and and it was probably another year after the airing of RW, that Nirvana and Pearl Jam took over our lives.  Had that occurred at the time of the original airing of RW, I’d likely have paid more attention to Andre.  

I would not have recognized Kevin in a million years.  He looks so different to me.

Julie is definitely more reserved than she was back then.  She’s still very pretty.  

Norm & Heather are just love, light, and laughter to me.  There is nothing not to like about those two!

Mad props to Eric for being clean all these years.  He looks amazing and I completely cried when he started to get emotional.  

• Love 13

I am way too young to have watched the original season when it first aired, but have seen it multiple times. It is by far my favorite season Heather/Julie are my favorite cast members and I loved their friendship. I am so glad that they kept in touch. It was interesting to see Eric he was very likable this episode it seems like his annoying appearance on Battle of the Sexes 2 happened right around the time he got sober. Becky was annoying just like she was during the original season. 

• Love 7

I am very excited about this reunion. I have the first few seasons of the show on VHS tapes in the basement.

I will have re watch the season before I subscribe to Paramount+. Hopefully, The Real World would be available on Paramount + Canada.

I wonder if they would consider doing a series on Real World couples like Sean & Rachel Campos Duffy & Pam Ling & Judd Winick.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 5:04 PM, shantown said:

I didn't even catch this parallel on the first viewing! It's so interesting how the pressing social issues of their formative years can dictate the way the use language and process social issues 30 years later. (Honestly, it will be interesting in the future to see what aftermath from this pandemic echos past pandemics, and what else mirrors our last major infection crisis in the US)

I literally pointed this out to a friend a few weeks ago. 

While he had a week off from work he found out that his girlfriends little brother caught covid-19 from his basketball team. They basically all had it. Why the fuck are we trying to do organized sports during a pandemic? Anyway, he told how the parents called him to give him the news and that he to get tested.

I was like, this is some HIV ish or STD thing. Like when you find out your status is positive, the first thing you should do is call your partners and tell them what you have and that they should be tested. He told me how hard it was for them to tell him because they thought he would be mad.

Possibly giving some covid-19 is just like giving someone an STD at this point.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 6
On 3/6/2021 at 2:17 AM, Miss Slay said:

I'm such a nerd - I bought the Real World New York dvds like 10 or 15 years ago. Jonathan Murray (the co creator/executive producer) has commentary on them that discusses the fact that they didn't want the show to seem dated so they cut out anything that time stamped it too much.  Julie and Kevin's argument happened right after Rodney King and he said that Kevin always felt that the producers should have included that for context - and in retrospect he agrees. Emotions were high.

That's interesting and it does tie into the show they envisioned vs the show that happened. I think they did make a mistake in the sense of thinking that worrying about seeming "dated" in a show that was based on a group of people living together, had they known what the show would end up being, they would have (and should have) leaned entirely into the time they were living in. For example, watching the 9/11 attacks in the Chicago season marked the date, but it makes sense to do so. 

However, I'm rewatching the RWNY1 season again with this new knowledge that the LA riots were happening at this time and I'm still not on Kevin's side on this one. The way he approached her on camera was menacing and apparently, the original fight was somehow without cameras, so I have no doubt that was worse. 

What really irked me about him then (and based on the previews, it may persist) was the way he switched conversational styles when he was re-enacting the scenes of the fights. He was screaming in Julie's face, calling Becky a whore, etc., but when he retold the stories, it was always in a very calm, "I was merely trying to explain..." tone of voice. 

• Love 9

I like that they're doing this - it's heartwarming to see them all still get on so well, and this cast actually had some meaningful stuff to relive, unlike after season 14 or so when every season was just an extended drunken hot-tub orgy.

Only thing I would have changed would have been to include more 1992 music, just for nostalgia's sake, and also (as you mentioned) not have them actually spend a week in the loft. It's nice to hear them talk about having lived together, but making these middle-aged adults actually do it again is kinda silly.

Does anyone know why Paramount+ would have seasons 1-4 and 15-26 but not the ones in between? Seems arbitrary...

• Love 3

I watched the original NY RW crew back in the day when it was on,  in real time.  So in a weird I way I feel like I am one of them.

That said, I was curiously reluctant to revisit this.  In the fog of time the only thing I had really remembered was the Kevin-Julie argument (I was so infuriated by Julie's cluelessness and Kevin's inability to communicate why his POV was relevant), what a vapid pretty boy Eric was, how completely insufferable Becky was, what great hair Andre had and how sweet Norm seemed.  Heather B, was my most vivid memory because I identified so hard with her at the time and of course, of all of them she has the most visibility post Real World for me -- her being on Sway's radio show. 

But my husband turned it on and I was caught.  I am really glad to see how glad they were to see each other and how they just felt so nostalgic about it all.  And how they have grown up so.  Some things haven't changed:  Andre's hair is still great, Norm seems so sweet still, Becky is still kinds giving me Becky vibes but not so much, And Heather --- man I still identify so hard with her.  Her charisma is off the charts on this.  But other have changed for the better:  Eric seems all Zen and centered now.  Kevin seems so very reflective and mature.  And Julie looks like a suburban mom.  She looks great, too.  Also she was raised a woke daughter.  The conversation between Kevin and Julie's daughter is quite a counterpoint to the famous Julie/Kev argument. 

Heather was the MVP, between her complaints about all the organic expensive stuff she bought especially for Eric, How bummed she was going to be not to be able to rub the what-ever oils on him or give him the 'good herbal tea', telling him "that's because you got COVID motherfucker', and her traveling top shelf bar... she brought the funny.

I am hoping the scenes of extra drama drama for upcoming eps is exaggerated.  I just want them to hang for a week.  But I guess that doesn't make for great tv.

• Love 14

And...we are off.

Becky seems like she is the one that's going to conjure up the majority of issues in the house.

Not just with Kevin but her taking a whole room with its own bath for herself. Umm, who made you queen?

Kevin/Becky part 2 was rough.

I'll just say I understand where Becky was coming from. She was just trying to defend herself as a individual.

But, what Kevin is trying to express is that not acknowledging the benefits you have just because your race is bad in itself. Also, sometimes it's okay to just listen. 

Kevin can be overbearing at times but his message makes sense.

For those that didn't watch, they did go into what more of the housemates have been up to.

Everything about Becky is something else. 

• Love 10

I love this show so much. I got the free month of Paramount and will probably have to pay for a month to finish it out, but it will be worth it. I watched in real time in ‘92 as a teen and watching them again is wonderful. I love what they’re doing mixing in past clips. It’s good to see Kevin has grown so much in his activism, understanding he has to embrace all parts of equality including women. It was rough to watch his arguments back in the day because of him throwing around derogatory words against the women. I felt it even as a teen before I knew anything.

I’m glad Eric is getting along ok, what a bummer of a situation for him. It’s so great to hear what everyone has been up to. I pretty much still like all of them, though I agree that Becky might end up being the center of the drama. She seems a little bull headed and unable to really listen.

• Love 5

It felt a little wrong to see Norman naked in the shower.  He may not care (and I understand he called them over to see the shower issue) but that felt like a little too much of an invasion of privacy.  I just hope they told everyone that if the camera caught them naked there would be no pixelating. 

I'm not quite sure what to say about Becky and her talks with the ghost of John Lennon.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Becky was the one who says that some have grown up and some haven’t, right?  The lack of self awareness is painful to watch. I did like everyone else’s reactions to her. 

Between John Lennon’s ghost, knowing more about medicine than doctors and the white privilege checklist she’s making the producer’s job easy. 

Edited by Guest

Becky and Kevin redux. I found myself wishing she'd just be quiet. She seems like she thinks she's been enlightened on these matters but still can't listen. Lack of self-awareness is right.

And then there was the John Lennon story. That was certainly...something. I have no idea what to think about that, and I felt like the others didn't, either. I mean, it's one thing to feel in tune with the spirits, but a whole other thing to say a famous musician you never met talked to you off and on for over a decade. Hmm...interesting.

I did enjoy getting more insight into what some of them have been up to the past 29 years. I had no idea Heather B was staying so busy on the air. I may have to look up her cooking channel. 

I felt so bad for Eric when he took that Covid test with everyone watching and it came back positive again. The way they keep focusing on testing him makes me hopeful (probably wishful thinking, though) that one day he'll test negative and will be able to get into the loft, even if it's on the last day. 

• Love 9

Oof, Becky. Between not letting anyone use her private bathroom, that talking head about not legally being able to call what she does medicine, the "I have been visited by the ghost of John Lennon" story... it was all too much. Like Norm, I was giving her the side eye the whole time. She didn't come off looking good in the rehashed argument with Kevin either. I give him credit for managing to keep calm. And everyone else just being like "WTF?" And Heather B in the confessional! "I ain't saying no names... but BECKY and NORMAN!"

It seems like some of them came to reconnect and just enjoy a little reunion and others came there thinking this was an actual season of the show. I wonder how much producer influence people are getting on trying to create ~*drama*~. I would much rather just see them reconnect and share about their lives since the show and their reactions to having kicked off 30 years of reality tv (or even just RW spinoffs). 

I get why Andre didn't want to share a room with Becky, but is he really still sleeping on the floor in the workout room or whatever? There should be at least one extra bed somewhere since Eric didn't show? Really hoping he gets a chance to see everyone at least once before this is over. It's gotta be near impossible to find 1-2 weeks where everyone could take a vacation to stay in the loft again, but it really stinks that it's not a true reunion when he's not there.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, Becky is insufferable. Let the damn man finish a sentence before you tell him he’s wrong.

She was terrible. If this had been scripted drama, I would've criticized it as overwritten. "Nobody who has half a brain would talk over him every time like that while accusing him of not letting her finish," "No thoughtful, reflecting human who lived through last year in this country would be this obviously clueless," etc. But nope, she was just a caricature of the white chick who "doesn't see color." I'm sure the editing made it even worse than it was but she didn't let him get a word out and sounded like a person who's never done any reflection.

Andre was really the MVP. First, he was trying so hard to disrupt the tension of her John Lennon nonsense with his "hey sure I mean obviously it wasn't really him but I get what you're saying, it's like someone writes the song through you" and she did not take his gift and just dug in. "Nope, John Lennon was a man, having conversations with me." And then later in his confessional when he was like "if John Lennon's ghost were going to appear to someone, why the hell does she think it would be her ass?"

I love Norm, but what? He was trying to give himself diarrhea so he could go in Becky's toilet? No.

• Love 14

I think current Kevin could have apologized for not cutting her a bit of slack way back then for not understanding where he was coming from. It doesn’t make current Becky less insufferable, but considering that he admitted that he himself didn't understand sexism and misogyny very well back then, you’d think he could equate that to back-then Becky not understanding his point of view in the original season. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

Becky....uh Energy Medicine?  A long term spiritual conversation with John Lennon?  Uh...ok girl.

Becky: I don't mean to interrupt you (after interrupting him 10 times)

Jesus that was the most frustrating conversation because Becky would never let Kevin finish a thought and she was literally enacting in real time the very thing that Kevin was trying to illustrate.  There was a lot of similarity between how she was reacting and how Sharon Osborne was reacted to the WOC on her show this week.  And you could tell everyone else was frustrated as well because she would not stop and listen.

I actually think Kevin has grown so much.  Talk about someone who has really learned what it is to be an activist and understands intersectionality in a way he would not have recognized back in the day.

I think my favorite part was his and Heather's conversation about their background and family and getting the glimpse of what he did professionally.  I have no idea about Kevin's post-show successes.  I think I vaguley knew he wrote articles but hadn't really clued into how rarefied the circles were he ran in.

Funny parts:

Heather: Dig it deeper, Daddy.

Drunk Julie: Dissing other MTV RW cast cities

Heather: I ain't naming no names but Becky told Norman...

Eric in his Dr. Seuss hat: My god, you have no idea...

• Love 12
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

I have no idea about Kevin's post-show successes.  I think I vaguley knew he wrote articles but hadn't really clued into how rarefied the circles were he ran in.

Funny parts:

Drunk Julie: Dissing other MTV RW cast cities

Heather: I ain't naming no names but Becky told Norman...

It's so funny because I see Kevin all the time as a talking head on news/opinion shows and every time I do a double take. "Kevin Powell, like Real World? Nah. But yeah?" and it always takes me a few minutes to remember the last time I thought the same thing and then googled it to find out it really was him. Maybe this time I'll actually retain the information!! He's awesome.

And yes! Julie and Heather were both cracking me up. I love how Julie's still starry-eyed about the city even though she could be just as jaded as anyone who had the time there that she did. And Heather is just all joy and love. I love that they genuinely aren't used to the confessionals, that wasn't a thing. So it feels less staged when they realize they're being filmed.

• Love 7

Julie dissing on the other RW cities made my night. I loved Heather and Julie just gossiping in the confessional like two old friends. 

Becky was insufferable. I loved Andre this episode. I still can't believe the John Lennon ghost and Julie sitting there taking the whole story in.

It's awesome to see Kevin reflect back 29 years. I guess they will have Kevin/Julie revisit their argument since that one is 10x more famous than the Becky/Kevin one. 

• Love 8

Becky's endless 'John Lennon's ghost visited me' story was unbearable, and not how I expected the episode to go.  I kind of wish the production had started to play one of those clips in order to break it up. And then she wouldn't stop talking when it was time to revisit her argument with Kevin either.  Ugh.   The updates were interesting.  I don't get why so many of them are sleeping on couches.  Norm's uncensored shower scene wasn't necessary, especailly when Eric got his own bathing scene later on.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 3

Becky really is insufferable. I will say though that Kevin’s approach is a little abrupt. But then it’s not his job to worry about a rich white lady’s feelings when trying to battle centuries of racism. However, I will also say that the conversation reminded me of talks with family members where they just don’t get it and at a certain point you have to stop because it’s pointless. If I were Kevin I would be like “this lady is a fake cult doctor and thinks she talked to the ghost of John Lennon for decades so I’m going to bow out of this talk.”

The videos of her doing her talks for her job were reminiscent of NXIVM for me.

• Love 17
On 3/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, gesundheit said:

I love that they genuinely aren't used to the confessionals, that wasn't a thing. 

Confessionals were definitely a thing in their original season. Although, yea, I guess they never were allowed to go in together back then because one of them (maybe Julie) commented about how they could do them together during the first ep.

4 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

The videos of her doing her talks for her job were reminiscent of NXIVM for me.

That's what I was thinking, too!

• Love 2

I’m loving this so far—and really loved seeing everyone again, especially Heather and Norm! I was surprised to find myself getting emotional when Julie and Eric did. Part of it is definitely nostalgia remembering where I was when this first aired—in high school, looking at colleges and getting ready to “take on the world.” Also remembering watching with my mom—who has since passed—and how much she loved this show. She even wanted me to try out for subsequent seasons! 

Really interesting watching back some of the conversations back then and seeing how they are just as—if not more—relevant than they are today. I assume there are going to revisit the infamous fight between Kevin and Julie.

Julie is still so cute, and her family seems very sweet. Heather is still hilarious. Becky is ... out there. Eric, even though he probably has some ideas that are a bit left of center, seems more grounded than her. Becky seems like she’s still searching for something. Maybe herself? 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:39 PM, Bastet said:

I wish this was airing on MTV, rather than a streaming service I don't have (and, no, am not signing up for; I can't with all this shit - there are too many), as I'd like to see the OGs together again. 

I love this:

"This is going to sound racist, but-"
"Then don't say it."

You can get a free trial month of Paramount—commercial free! 

On 3/4/2021 at 3:36 PM, UniqueHandle said:

I just finished watching and like most others I watched with a smile on my face and a couple of times, a tear in my eye. So good. I was glued to it the entire time and I want to watch it again before the next one drops. 

Totally same—mostly smiling but a few tears. Can’t wait for more. 

• Love 3

According to the Extra Hot Great* podcast they filmed for 6 days and have 10 episodes. That seems like it should be the other way around, unless they are going to have one memorable moment/argument per episode moving forward.

*Not sure how reliable of a source it is, but there are some Primetimer writers on the pod so... thought it was worth mentioning!

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, shantown said:

According to the Extra Hot Great* podcast they filmed for 6 days and have 10 episodes. That seems like it should be the other way around, unless they are going to have one memorable moment/argument per episode moving forward.

*Not sure how reliable of a source it is, but there are some Primetimer writers on the pod so... thought it was worth mentioning!

I suspected it was something like that.

Unless they were willing to pay them a lot of money, no way they were going to do more than a week.

10 episodes is enough for 3 months of subscriptions but I doubt they will stay with it unless there the other RR/RW shows come on right afterwards.

• Love 1

I have a CBS All Access subscription, so I guess I can watch this on Paramount Plus, which makes me happy! In 1992, I was 19/20, so I am the demographic this season was targeted to. I LOVED the inaugural season of this show and the cast.

Probably because it was new and Julie, Norman, Kevin, Eric, Heather, Becky, and Andre did just come across as real people having their lives taped. I so wanted Eric/Julie to get together. Looking back now, though, I'm glad they never went there. Because...

Once MTV meddled and needed "business ideas", overwrought arguments, and hookups and drunken frat party antics, that was it for me with the series. I only watched up to San Francisco with the Puck drama. After that season, I was just done.

But the first season? I'm so excited to see how these people changed/remained the same after all these years!

Still, I am with everyone else that thinks it should have aired on MTV, but since that channel is now complete crap, I'm not surprised it isn't.

• Love 5
On 3/13/2021 at 1:32 AM, Hiyo said:

Heather and Julie need some type of spin-off together. Not a permanent show, just a short one season. I'm glad they are still friends.

I would totally watch that. Their friendship was one of my favorite things about their original season and it continues to be one of my favorite things. 

The Color Factory looks like so much fun! I want to go there sometime.

• Love 5

I really wasn’t sure what to expect from Julie because she just completely dropped off the radar.  She was so reserved in her first episode but I don’t think she could stay that way for long with Heather around.  Their relationship is just the best thing to come out of the Real World and it so easily could never have happened, but for Heather giving Julie a chance after the beeper/drug dealer conversation. 
There is no way that Kevin from 30 years ago would’ve been able to hold back in the conversation with Becky in this past episode,  Becky still shows she doesn’t get it.  And she’s not going to.  She was annoying 30 years ago and quite possibly even more annoying now.

• Love 11
On 3/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Confessionals were definitely a thing in their original season. Although, yea, I guess they never were allowed to go in together back then because one of them (maybe Julie) commented about how they could do them together during the first ep.

Oh interesting, I thought they said they didn't have them at all. I'm not surprised I have no memory of it, though! Only saw the original season right when it aired and then maybe one marathon of it the next year over a weekend or something.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:29 PM, Sister Havana said:

The Color Factory looks like so much fun! I want to go there sometime.

That must've been specially opened for the cast, definitely doesn't seem like the type of establishment that would've been open back when they shot this season!

Eric seems maybe a bit nutty but in a sweet, harmless way. While Becky seems a similar flavor of nutty but with a totally opposite effect.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, gesundheit said:

Oh interesting, I thought they said they didn't have them at all.

Same here, and I just double-checked -- When Becky and Kevin, being the first to arrive, came across it while touring the loft as it is now, Becky said, "Look, here's the confessional; we didn't have one," and Kevin asked, "You can actually come in by yourself?"  She replied, "You can come in by yourself, just sit down, and talk."

That was in line with my memories -- I only remember the one-on-one interviews where they answered producers' (unheard [or at least mostly unheard; I don't recall]) questions, shot up on the roof, in a park, etc; I don't remember them having a confessional to go in and vent unprompted whenever (and, as @gesundheit noted, at some point, it became a requirement for each roommate to record a confessional at least [#] per [time period]).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Same here, and I just double-checked -- When Becky and Kevin, being the first to arrive, came across it while touring the loft as it is now, Becky said, "Look, here's the confessional; we didn't have one," and Kevin asked, "You can actually come in by yourself?"  She replied, "You can come in by yourself, just sit down, and just talk."

That was in line with my memories -- I only remember the one-on-one interviews where they answered producers' (unheard) questions, shot up on the roof, in a park, etc; I don't remember them having a confessional to go in and vent unprompted.

That's how I remembered it -- that they did have talking heads, one-on-one interviews, etc. But not that confessional room to just stop by anytime (or on a mandated schedule, however they work that per show) alone. 

52 minutes ago, moonchild81 said:

i thought they did in the basement when some of them were watching norman talk during the last episode

That wasn't a confessional, that was the production room, which they invaded on their last day.

• Love 2