Type keyword(s) to search

RW Homecoming: New York (2021)

• Start Topic

I wish this was airing on MTV, rather than a streaming service I don't have (and, no, am not signing up for; I can't with all this shit - there are too many), as I'd like to see the OGs together again. 

I love this:

"This is going to sound racist, but-"
"Then don't say it."

• Love 5

I'm so excited about this, I'll start a trial or pay for a month, whatever.  I love that they were able to bring them all back together in the same loft and it's not just some quick reunion. 

The casts in seasons 1-3 are my age, my generation.  They are forever enmeshed in my memories of the early 90s. 

I caught a few episodes of NY on Pluto the other day and couldn't help but notice that like me, poor Julie spent some of her hot years wearing baggy jeans & big button down shirts.  Why did we do that?  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Sister Havana said:

I am ridiculously excited about this. (And I did sign up for Paramount Plus just to watch this.) 

One thing I didn’t know until now is that Eric wasn’t able to go into the loft, even though he was in town. I wonder why. (Apparently we’ll find out on the show.)

I'm interested to find out why... my first thought was "painful memories" but his participation in the challenge made me wipe that idea... as did him saying it wasn't his choice. My guess is something legal involving another cast member?

• Love 1

I'm stupid excited about this. Luckily I never cancelled my CBS All Access soon-to-be-Paramount+ subscription after I got bored of Big Brother last season. I am such a sucker for 'reunion in their original format' shows, so I'm really glad this has them all (except Eric, I guess?) reuniting in the original loft that started all of this shit. I hope it's as much fun as I want it to be.

If they move on to an LA reunion, I wonder if Aaron and Dom would participate. They seemed to cut ties with RW after the season ended. 

• Love 4

I am so excited about this. I had the VHS of this season and the book. I loved Real World so much. I have CBS All Access because I never cancelled it years ago after getting it for the live feeds for Big Brother. I've been using it to rewatch The Challenge and Survivor.

I bet Eric failed a Covid test or refused to take one. I cannot think of another reason why he wouldn't be there.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/26/2021 at 3:39 PM, Bastet said:

I wish this was airing on MTV, rather than a streaming service I don't have (and, no, am not signing up for; I can't with all this shit - there are too many), as I'd like to see the OGs together again. 

I was just ranting about this in another forum...  I am not paying for cable AND all of these streaming apps.  I guess it is time to cut the cord.  Do the cable companies see that the end is near?  I am so happy that the cable companies will be done away with soon to be honest.  

Anyway - I am excited for this!  

I watched that show Andy Cohen hosted on E! last weekend, and they had most of these cast members for a sit down interview.  I love them all together.  I spent most of the interview trying to figure out Eric's hair - is it a comb-up??  Like a comb-over but from the back to the front?

OMG Andre's hair!  He still looks really really really hot!

I want them to do this with the 2nd season (LA) too!  San Francisco I don't really care, but Miami and Boston would be good.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 1

Just found this- for anyone wanting to sign up- the price is kind of high per month for no commercials but I’d pay $50 with this promo:

The service has announced it will feature two subscription plans: a “limited commercials” option for $6 per month ($60 annually), and a premium “no commercials” option for $10 per month ($100 annually).

For a limited time, you can enter the promo code PARAMOUNTPLUS while registering to get a 50% discount on an annual subscription. This option will only be available through March 3, a day before CBS All Access will officially transition into Paramount Plus. When the service switches over, it will carry your subscription with it.

• Love 1

An article about the loft, with before and after pics...well, more the loft in 1992 and how it looks now.

The 6,500-square-foot, four-bedroom apartment with distinctive cast-iron Corinthian columns and a 1,500-square-foot mezzanine is at the corner of Broadway and Prince Street and is currently under contract for $5.5 million after first being put on the market in 2019 for $7.5 million. The most recent owner is the artist Edwina Sandys, a granddaughter of Winston Churchill.

Done up anew for Homecoming, the loft has familiar Real World touches: black couches with red pillows in the living room, the requisite pool table, and a fish tank (the blue neon trim, alas, was left in 1992). Compared with the original decorating, it looks far more like the multimillion-dollar home it has become, and everything is just all-around nicer with what seems like a fittingly middle-aged furniture budget, rather than the postcollegiate Ikea feel of the original show. “We didn’t have such glamour back then,” cast member Norman said in a tour of the loft. “We did not have the glamour.”

• Love 3
14 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I want them to do this with the 2nd season (LA) too!  San Francisco I don't really care, but Miami and Boston would be good.

I heart Andre SO much.  I was glad to see he has aged well.

Apparently they were going to do this with Hawaii as well but Amaya tweeted about it and she thinks that may be why it was scrapped.  I too would love to see one with Boston.  One of my favorite RW seasons.  I subscribed to CBS All Access/Paramount Plus last week with that 50 percent off offer you mentioned and they have 20 seasons of the RW available but NOT Boston.  (Or New Orleans, another one I'd love to watch again and see a reunion of.)  The Washington Post did a story in the Entertainment section while the Boston season was airing and it featured me and my roommates and our Real World watching dinner parties.  Oh how I loved Jason.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, radiochik said:

Apparently they were going to do this with Hawaii as well but Amaya tweeted about it and she thinks that may be why it was scrapped.  I too would love to see one with Boston.  One of my favorite RW seasons.  I subscribed to CBS All Access/Paramount Plus last week with that 50 percent off offer you mentioned and they have 20 seasons of the RW available but NOT Boston.  (Or New Orleans, another one I'd love to watch again and see a reunion of.)  The Washington Post did a story in the Entertainment section while the Boston season was airing and it featured me and my roommates and our Real World watching dinner parties.  Oh how I loved Jason.

Of course Amaya screwed it up! Lol

I wish they would put all seasons on the app, the best seasons are seasons 5-11.

• Love 2

A few years ago I realize that my office is literally right next to the original loft they filmed in and I was so excited! And then I found out they filmed this show in that same loft and I was so bummed because since Covid, I've been working from home since last March. If it wasn't for this I could have seen them coming and going and maybe be in the background of a street shot, lol.

I loved this cast so much. I was a kid when it aired but I had such a crush on Eric back then and wanted him and Julie to hook up. I'm glad they didn't because once RW became all about cast members hooking up it all went downhill for me.

• Love 4
On 2/27/2021 at 10:17 PM, Giuseppe said:

I'm stupid excited about this. Luckily I never cancelled my CBS All Access soon-to-be-Paramount+ subscription after I got bored of Big Brother last season. I am such a sucker for 'reunion in their original format' shows, so I'm really glad this has them all (except Eric, I guess?) reuniting in the original loft that started all of this shit. I hope it's as much fun as I want it to be.

If they move on to an LA reunion, I wonder if Aaron and Dom would participate. They seemed to cut ties with RW after the season ended. 

Wait, if I have CBS All Access I can get this too? I recently signed back up for that for the old challenges and RW seasons and in pure laziness, forgot to cancel it. 

I saw the promo somewhere else and contemplated how to see it, I'll be so excited if already have the service! 

TBH, Andre and Norm were the two that I found most jarring in the trailer, appearance-wise. Andre with his medium-length white hair and Norm with his gray hair and extra weight were the biggest signs of time passing. Especially cause I just watched the original season on CBS All Access recently.

I would love it if part of this series is interviewing the ones who wanted to make it big in the entertainment business, like Andre, Becky, and Julie. I recall there being some bitterness toward Eric for falling backward into the entertainment business, but I'm endlessly fascinated by the idea of people who came on this show as 19, 20, 20-something people envisioning some fame and fortune and what the reality turned out to be and I'd love to hear someone really discuss how they feel about the different direction their life ending up taking when they've got that video evidence of who they were and what they wanted when they were younger. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Wait, if I have CBS All Access I can get this too? I recently signed back up for that for the old challenges and RW seasons and in pure laziness, forgot to cancel it. 

Yep, CBS All Access is morphing into Paramount +, so you won't have to sign up for a different streaming service, your subscription will automatically switch with no change in price (for now).

On 3/2/2021 at 4:01 PM, heatherchandler said:

You know, it took me several viewings when this show was originally on to realize that I thought Andre was the most handsome dude of the bunch. I think it was the episode where the girls went to Jamaica leaving the boys behind, and Andre was kind of pouting around the loft. I also remember thinking he was the same dude from Blind Melon at first, lol.

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, radiochik said:

Sorry for the double post, but why would they scrap it because of publicity? I mean, I'm a RW freak, but that season was in 1999 (omg, how is that over 20 years ago??), so who is really that tuned into Amaya whateverherlastnameis' tweets at this point? 

This is the program that genuinely launched the reality TV phenomenon, how do they not realize how much people want to see that early content PLUS how much people would love to see those earlier cast members again? 

There are umpteen adjacent programs where people can go for the more current stuff, but those of us who watched for the original premise (and even a bit after it got kinda gross) would be right there for reunions or reairings of the original seasons/casting specials/challenges. 

Who do we talk to about that, lol?!?

ETA: 

@snarts I caught a few episodes of NY on Pluto the other day and couldn't help but notice that like me, poor Julie spent some of her hot years wearing baggy jeans & big button down shirts.  Why did we do that?  

YES!! The early 90's were so [relatively] kind to women with the baggy clothes, Doc Martens (aka no heels), flannel shirts. But considering that it took until the dance audition (or Jamaica?) episode for me to realize that Julie had a super flat stomach, it does seem a shame, lol. 

Edited by ljenkins782
  • Love 8

I guess they’re trying to tap into the demographic which watched the original airing?

Maybe figure they’d pony up for a subscription?

But The RW was a mess by the end, just to ply fame whores with booze at venues willing to let them film in them.

I’ll just follow along and see if it turns out good.

• Love 4

I don't know if it was nostalgia or what, but I cried about three different times watching this episode! When they kept doing the side-by-side shots with  1992 vs 2021 I was amazed how much everyone still looked like themselves, while everything else (clothes, cars, skylines, etc) had changed so much. It was weirdly overwhelming seeing these people again, I can't imagine what if must have been like for them to be seeing each other in person after so long!

• Love 14
4 hours ago, docmatt said:

Is it bad that I got up extra early to watch the episode before work?

Nope, I did the exact same thing, lol.

1 hour ago, shantown said:

I don't know if it was nostalgia or what, but I cried about three different times watching this episode! When they kept doing the side-by-side shots with  1992 vs 2021 I was amazed how much everyone still looked like themselves, while everything else (clothes, cars, skylines, etc) had changed so much. It was weirdly overwhelming seeing these people again, I can't imagine what if must have been like for them to be seeing each other in person after so long!

I felt almost the exact same way, even down to the crying, lol.  Julie's daughter talking to Kevin really got to me, for some reason. I feel like I really know these guys, probably due to how much MTV used to re-run these episodes back in the day (and I would watch every one of them!), so watching them all get back together almost felt like a family reunion. Sucks about Eric, because this first ep was almost perfect! Really looking forward to watching the rest, though from the previews, it looks like things are gonna get uncomfortable pretty quick.

• Love 12

Aside from the few moments that brought me to tears, I watched the entire episode with a smile on my face.  When they found out Eric couldn't join them & he teared up, and when Julie's daughter was talking to Kevin were emotional highlights for me. 

Heather B continues to be my favorite. Her comedic timing is vastly underrated. 

While I appreciate the political/cultural discussions, I want to know more about their current lives.  I wish they were all sharing more about themselves.  Hopeful that will come in the ensuing episodes.

• Love 7

Just watched the first episode.  I feel like Kevin is the one I'm interested to hear about the most.  It was probably really surreal for him to talk about all that racial issues (Rodney King), only for it to completely circle around now (BLM).  Also probably the weight of having the argument of him and Julie being repeated over and over again.  It was interesting to hear him reflect about how he wished he had the emotional maturity to handle a lot of those debates.

Also curious to know more about Andre, as he's probably the one I felt that was probably the most invisible of the entire cast (both during the season and afterwards).  I think majority of the cast went to do challenges/ MTV reunions etc.  But Andre dropped off the face of the earth.

• Love 5

I was just able to watch the premiere on YouTube for those who don't have Paramount+ (I'm sure I'll sign up eventually if they don't continue posting episodes here.)

I alternated between smiling and getting weepy for the entire episode. It is amazing to me how I can remember some of these scenes from 30 years ago like I saw them yesterday but if you ask me what I had for lunch yesterday, 🤷‍♀️.

I'm looking forward to them diving into some of the discussions they had way back when and seeing how they've evolved over the past 30 years. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

I was just able to watch the premiere on YouTube for those who don't have Paramount+ (I'm sure I'll sign up eventually if they don't continue posting episodes here.)

Thanks for posting that.  They're probably just going to make the first one available to try to get fans hooked enough to sign up for the streaming service.  It's not going to work on me, so this will probably be the only episode I see, but I've just downloaded it so I can watch later - thank you again, as I wouldn't have thought to look for it on YouTube.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

For those of us who haven’t seen it yet and don’t mind spoilers, can someone spoiler tag why Eric isn’t in the house? 

Spoiler

He tested positive for Covid during the interviews before moving into the loft

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I just finished watching and like most others I watched with a smile on my face and a couple of times, a tear in my eye. So good. I was glued to it the entire time and I want to watch it again before the next one drops. 

• Love 5

Poor Eric not being able to share this with everyone; nearly 30 years in the making, and then at the last minute he gets sick.  When they told him they were back in the loft (I didn't know they hadn't been told that's where the reunion was going to be) and he got even more bummed about not being there, I felt bad for him.

I like Heather and Kevin's talk about how, at this age, if they keep letting years go by, they may call someone's phone one day and find out they're not alive anymore.

Kevin tripping out at seeing and talking to Julie's 17-year-old daughter, because it reminded him of meeting 19-year-old Julie, was moving, too.

As was Kevin's reaction to Heather saying she didn't want to hear what he had to say back then, because it was too serious and she just wanted to have fun, but as the years went on she realized he was right.  And Kevin regretting he didn't have the emotional maturity to have handled some of those conversations better. 

I really enjoyed this; these folks are my generation, and I can't imagine revisiting my early 20s in the way they're doing.  I love all the comments about how clueless and obnoxious they were back then.

• Love 18

Are Julie & Andre the only parents out of the seven?  That's interesting.

Kevin always had good points. His message got lost when he got frustrated and misogynist. He called both Becky & Julie stupid bitches and spoke to them very condescendingly especially when compared to the similar conversation he had with Andre.  So far, he seems to have matured and gained some self-awareness, which is appreciated.

• Love 9

Yeah, Kevin has written extensively about confronting his toxic masculinity and misogyny.  He said when he was first confronted, as a student activist, by Black women about his sexist and condescending attitude, he dismissed it as ridiculous, and was one of those men who wrote it off as them being lesbians or having "issues".  But he later woke up to male privilege, and how men listen to men differently than they listen to women.  He committed his activism to dismantling the patriarchy as well as racism.  Yet he's the first to admit it wasn't a smooth, uphill trajectory in his thoughts and behavior; he fell back into his old destructive ways sometimes.  So it will be interesting to see how those changes reveal themselves in his interactions with the women in the house.

• Love 16

I'm a little salty that the episodes aren't released all at once because I want nothing more than to binge this whole season. But I suppose that's part of the 1992-ness of it all, making us wait a week between episodes!

• Love 13
52 minutes ago, snarts said:

Are Julie & Andre the only parents out of the seven?  That's interesting.

Eric has at least one child, and I think there was a mention that Heather has a child too.

This episode felt like a big warm hug to me. I'm so looking forward to the rest of the episodes! 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

Eric has at least one child, and I think there was a mention that Heather has a child too.

I'd be surprised if Becky does not have any children, if only because she looks like she should be someone's mom. 

I enjoyed it.  It will be interesting to see how things get once everyone gets over their initial excitement.   

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Sister Havana said:

This episode felt like a big warm hug to me. I'm so looking forward to the rest of the episodes! 

Yes! I got the warm and fuzzies within the first few minutes. I really love this concept, and in the spirit of reboots and reunions, this is great. However, I feel like this wouldn't work as well - or at least be as interesting - with the later seasons of the RW that were more shallow and drunken-party focused. The earlier incarnations had more depth, all things considered. 

In any case, I'm loving this already. Such a bummer that Eric tested positive and couldn't make it into the loft to get the full experience. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Sister Havana said:

So if it goes like other RW seasons or reality shows in general, they will be at each other's throats about 4 weeks in.

Will MTV ply them with booze to draw out the angry drunks among them?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, aghst said:

So if it goes like other RW seasons or reality shows in general, they will be at each other's throats about 4 weeks in.

Will MTV ply them with booze to draw out the angry drunks among them?

MTV doesn’t have to - did you see that suitcase full of bottles Heather B showed up with?!

I believe I heard one of them say that they were there for “another six days” so a week in total. That seems like a good amount of time - short enough for people to get away for a “vacation” but long enough to get into a little bit of drama. 

• Love 3

So they only filmed for a week and made what, a dozen or so episodes out of it?

I would demand to be put up in a hotel and just fake shoot them sleeping there.

It's one thing to live with a bunch of stranger in your 20s but they're too old to put up with that now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, aghst said:

It's one thing to live with a bunch of stranger in your 20s but they're too old to put up with that now.

They all obviously wanted to come back to do this. Any one of them could have refused.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, aghst said:

I would demand to be put up in a hotel and just fake shoot them sleeping there.

They're not living with strangers, they're going on a week-long reunion with former roommates.  It would have really lost something, given the original (groundbreaking) concept, for them to have just hung out by day and retired to their own hotel rooms at night.  

I think it will be interesting to see how the logistics of living together for just a week are different when everyone is long used to living alone or with a partner/family, compared to when they spent a few months living as roommates back when such random cohabitation - albeit on a smaller scale - was common out of economic necessity at that age.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I thought I was going to be able to binge. I'm not used to watching TV then waiting in anticipation of the next episode for a whole week anymore.

This was fun to watch. Brought back memories. I was a senior in high school when this premiered.  I remember randomly yelling "could you get the phone", thinking that I wanted to live in a loft, and just falling in love with reality TV when it really was real. 

I remember thinking thar Eric was so cheesy and full of himself back in the day. I was shocked but not really shocked to see he's gone super zen and straight laced. So sorry we won't get to see him really interact with everyone. Hoe he recovered well.

I'm nervous for th upcoming episodes. I want them to keep this feel good tone but the previews all but guarantee that won't happen.

I so want them to do LA but Tami Roman was a handful the first time around. She is a reality TV professional now. I don't think anyone would be able to keep up with her.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

They're probably just going to make the first one available to try to get fans hooked enough to sign up for the streaming service.  It's not going to work on me, so this will probably be the only episode I see, but I've just downloaded it so I can watch later - thank you again, as I wouldn't have thought to look for it on YouTube.

It will most definitely work on me, unfortunately. If they don't continue posting the episodes to YouTube, I'll likely just wait until all of the episodes have aired and then sign up for a free trial. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, funnygirl said:

Yes! I got the warm and fuzzies within the first few minutes. I really love this concept, and in the spirit of reboots and reunions, this is great. However, I feel like this wouldn't work as well - or at least be as interesting - with the later seasons of the RW that were more shallow and drunken-party focused. The earlier incarnations had more depth, all things considered. 

In any case, I'm loving this already. Such a bummer that Eric tested positive and couldn't make it into the loft to get the full experience. 

Honestly, I don't think this would even work with the very next few seasons. The LA cast hated each other even then, I doubt they'd get all of them back. It'd be a Jon/Tami/Beth reunion, probably. And for SF, Pedro is gone and spending a week with Puck probably isn't high on anyone else's list.

Back to this season, this first episode was just so great. I had to watch it twice.

I remember thinking thar Eric was so cheesy and full of himself back in the day. I was shocked but not really shocked to see he's gone super zen and straight laced. So sorry we won't get to see him really interact with everyone. Hoe he recovered well.

I knew about Eric's straight edge directional shift from some of his previous challenge appearances, but this was far and away the most likable version of Eric. First, he looks great, so clean living does great stuff for your skin, but he also seemed so genuinely warm, so unlike the poseur he was back in the day. 

It was funny to see how much Andre and Heather seemed to genuinely love Eric, considering how much they hated him back in the day (and rightfully so, he was pretty damn irritating at 20). Heather having packed all that food for him was so sweet. 

I loved the well-placed cuts and callbacks, like Kevin plugging his cell phone in and them reminiscing about actually having a phone with a cord back in the day. 

Poor Eric not being able to share this with everyone; nearly 30 years in the making, and then at the last minute he gets sick.  When they told him they were back in the loft (I didn't know they hadn't been told that's where the reunion was going to be) and he got even more bummed about not being there, I felt bad for him.

I like Heather and Kevin's talk about how, at this age, if they keep letting years go by, they may call someone's phone one day and find out they're not alive anymore.

Kevin tripping out at seeing and talking to Julie's 17-year-old daughter, because it reminded him of meeting 19-year-old Julie, was moving, too.

As was Kevin's reaction to Heather saying she didn't want to hear what he had to say back then, because it was too serious and she just wanted to have fun, but as the years went on she realized he was right.  And Kevin regretting he didn't have the emotional maturity to have handled some of those conversations better. 

I really enjoyed this; these folks are my generation, and I can't imagine revisiting my early 20s in the way they're doing.  I love all the comments about how clueless and obnoxious they were back then.

Yes, it was very sad when Eric got even more teary-eyed when he realized they were all back in the old loft. That's a really special moment to be missing out.

Also, the funniest line of the episode for me was Eric's "why am I so red??" when they took the selfie. I was wondering the same, why WAS he so red? That was some messed up lighting.

I need Becky to be among the people who realize how clueless and obnoxious they were back then. Because she was one of the most know-it-all-y 24-year-olds ever and I need her to look back on that and see that it was obnoxious. But something about Becky makes me think she's probably very similar now to how she was then. She's probably a know-it-all 50-something too, lol.

Heather was the best part of this first episode, both the comedic moments and the introspective. I always have the same thoughts that she expressed, when I see an old TV show that reminds me of a specific time in my own life, I always reflect on the people who have since passed on, but were alive at that time. And some of the nostalgia about the clueless freedom they had back then.

Overall, such a great start, I kinda don't want to see the drama, this was so warm and entertaining.

• Love 11

There really is something special about this group coming back together because they really were reality TV before there was reality TV. (There was An American Family some years before this, but The Real World really kicked off the reality genre) I don't know if this same sort of "30 years later" thing would work with other reality shows. Specifically in the Real World, LA and SF are probably out for the reasons @ljenkins782 mentioned. I doubt most of London would be willing. Boston might, minus Sean Duffy (though wouldn't THAT be interesting). It would be interesting in a few years to see a Back to New York or Chicago reunion. Those were the last couple "classic" seasons in terms of the show, but also the last pre-9/11, where there was a large cultural shift that trickled down to the show. 

• Love 3