Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Crappy Frozen Ice Cream and an Organ Grinder’s Monkey

jewel21
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

If Mary was the kind of Baptist that frowned on dancing, she wouldn't drink beer either.

Mary Cooper is turning out to be quite the hypocrite. Don't forget the smoking, too. In fairness, her concern for Missy probably comes from her own experience that resulted in Georgie, Godsend though he is even now.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ChitChat said:

She has a certain image to uphold since she works at the church.  That's why George wouldn't let Georgie keep the shaggin' wagon.

I thought George's concern was less about image and more that he didn't want his 17-year-old son knocking up his 17-year-old girlfriend.

Besides,

Spoiler

On TBBT, we saw that Mary was still a hypocrite, even if she had mellowed.

• Love 10
(edited)

Mary shouldn't worry too much about Missy dancing at a middle school dance. At most middle school dances, the night will consist of boys standing on one side and girls on the other. There is probably more dancing on the bus on the morning or in the line for the bathroom. 

I liked having a George and Sheldon plot, and that George handled things with Sheldon quite well.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
On 2/26/2021 at 4:37 PM, Gimmick Genius said:

The old joke: Baptists do not drink or smoke ... in front of each other. 

Or, the differences between religions: "Jews do not recognize the divinity of Jesus; Protestants do not recognize the Primacy of the Pope; and Baptists do not recognize one another in the line at the liquor store."

I thought they made Wendy Malick look a lot like Annette Bening.

The joke I remember from my upbringing:

Why don't Baptists have sex standing up?  Someone might think they're dancing.

• LOL 10
On 2/27/2021 at 2:13 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I thought George's concern was less about image and more that he didn't want his 17-year-old son knocking up his 17-year-old girlfriend.

I think it was both!  George said something along the lines of "Your mother works for the Church.  How's that going to look?"   

• Love 2
On 2/25/2021 at 8:47 PM, Grizzly said:

Sheldon's crack about how he closed his eyes and thought of science on his honeymoon was totally uncalled for.

He is supposed to be heterosexual on the show, so are they saying that people on the spectrum or not sexual? Whatever it was insulting to his wife. We have to remember this is a Chuck Lorre show and his disgustingness  comes out every now and then. 

• Love 2
Just now, chediavolo said:

He is supposed to be heterosexual on the show, so are they saying that people on the spectrum or not sexual? Whatever it was insulting to his wife. We have to remember this is a Chuck Lorre show and his disgustingness  comes out every now and then. 

They're not saying he's on the spectrum at all.  They're probably more saying that he's asexual.  What's wrong with that?

• Love 1
On 2/26/2021 at 7:33 AM, GussieK said:

I confused  Baranski and Malick for a minute too and thought it was stunt casting until I realized it was the blonde wig that did it. 

I did not recognize Dave Foley at all. 

Speaking of wigs, what the hell was that on Reba McEntire‘s head? Holy ****, that was a disaster!!

12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

They're not saying he's on the spectrum at all.  They're probably more saying that he's asexual.  What's wrong with that?

Not a thing wrong with it,you don’t have to have a partner and you can live your life as you see fit ! But Do asexual  people usually get married and have children? And isn’t it confirmed that  Sheldon is on the spectrum? Otherwise his characters mannerisms  make no sense. 

Edited by chediavolo
1 minute ago, chediavolo said:

Not a thing wrong with it,you don’t have to have a partner and you can live your life as you see fit ! But Do asexual  people usually get married and have children?

Sometimes.  Being asexual doesn't mean that you don't have romantic and relational love.  Just that you don't enjoy sex.  So, if you find that special someone you get married and grin and bear the sex.

• Love 4

I get the need for the University to solicit donations, but did the President really think putting Sheldon in front of donors was a good idea? OK, it worked out, but it seemed much more likely he’d be offended than donate.

You really can see how Georgie could make a good dad. (And “Nature documentaries"?...Sure)

On 2/26/2021 at 1:37 AM, Spartan Girl said:

”Why can’t we have a fun religion?”

”I don’t think there is one.”

Reminded me of The Simpsons take on Catholic v Protestant Heaven

On 2/26/2021 at 1:37 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Dammit I liked Connie bring friends with Dale’s ex. Stupid sexist tropes.

I did too. I thought their conversation was going to go something like:

Connie: So you brought that kid along just to annoy Dale?

June: Well, not just to annoy him, but yeah...

Connie: Well it worked!

• Love 1
On 2/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, ChitChat said:

Maybe there are Baptist churches that frown on school dances, but I was brought up in a Baptist church and that was never an issue.  I don't recall ever hearing anyone in authority at the church having an opinion on it one way or the other.  

It's actually quite common for Baptist churches to forbid dancing.  In my experience, it's far more unusual for Baptists to allow dancing.  My aunt's family are Baptists.  Dancing is definitely verboten; might lead to sex, I guess.   Not that it stopped her eldest daughter from getting pregnant out of wedlock.  And her granddaughter specifically didn't have her wedding reception at the church hall so that she could have a dj and dancing.  Of course, that granddaughter isn't that great a Baptist.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:28 PM, anna0852 said:

I would bet that only Mary and Pastor Jeff have issues with the dancing.

It's definitely a more general Baptist thing, although it does vary from church to church.  There's a reason the "Why don't Baptists have sex standing up?  Because God might think they're dancing." exists.  

On 2/26/2021 at 11:15 AM, shapeshifter said:

@ChitChat, do you know* if in rural Texas in the 1980s the frowning on dancing by Baptists might have been a thing? Or, maybe in the 1950s or 60s?
Writers often project the previous generational norms into the present, which, on this show, would mean the 60s to the 80s.
And then there's the rural and geographic settings being perhaps another generation behind the culture, so maybe even 1950s.

*Maybe you've had grandparents who talked about dancing taboos?

Still a thing at my aunt's Baptist church in 2015.