Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

S01.E07: Happy Sweet Sixteen, Jerk

On Ginny's 16th birthday, Georgia tries to smooth things over by organizing a surprise party for her — but Ginny and her friends have other big plans.

Nick starting out as the tough campaign manager, migrating to gay friend and going full Avril drag for Ginny's birthday? Andrew from The Bold Type anyone?

The tap dancing? The serenading a few episodes back. They packed a lot into this show and its getting a bit much for me. At least Georga came clear to Ginny.

• Like 5

On 2/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, Aulty said:

Nick starting out as the tough campaign manager, migrating to gay friend and going full Avril drag for Ginny's birthday? Andrew from The Bold Type anyone?

The tap dancing? The serenading a few episodes back. They packed a lot into this show and its getting a bit much for me. At least Georga came clear to Ginny.

Yeah, that was a lot, in a short time. I haven't finished this episode yet. 

The birthday tap dance lost me. I’m also kind of over all of Ginny’s totally cool friends and especially Maxie. I would much rather see realistic not such wise ass TV kids and every episode seems like an after school special. I’m told that this will get better towards the end of the season so I’m sticking with it.

• Like 2

Ginny and Hunter's talk about being biracial was a really nice moment between them. The show seems to be leaning towards her getting with Marcus, but he annoys me too much to want him with Ginny. He's basically a cheap Jess from Gilmore Girls knock off, way more than any of the other characters are obvious counterparts for GG characters. He's that brooding quasi intellectual jerk who thinks he's too cool and smart to do anything but lean on things who has nothing but disdain for pretty much anyone and is only nice to the lead female character, and even then only sometimes. He's also a jerk to his kind of girlfriend Padma, who seems perfectly nice, who doesn't say much for how he would treat Ginny. 

This show is so, SO much. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, Caseysgirl said:

The birthday tap dance lost me.

That cracked me up. It was such a TV thing. And it's yet another thing Hunter can do. What's next, we learn he rescues animals from disaster areas?

• Like 3

Starting to hate Ginny and her sanctimonious attitude

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, mytmo said:

Starting to hate Ginny and her sanctimonious attitude

This didn't bother me as much on my first viewing, because the show had so much going on, and it had been so long since I'd watched any kind of soapy multi-generational thing. 

On second viewing, Ginny already has a bad attitude towards her mom from the pilot onwards, and they rarely share any scenes without Ginny having a major case of stinkface. 

NOW, there's the possibility that Ginny's attitude is earned because Georgia has been so flaky, jumping from man to man, failing to provide any sense of stability, etc. But they really can't do the 'Gilmore Girls' shoutout if we get almost ZERO scenes of Ginny and Georgia actually enjoying each other's company because Ginny is perpetually pissy. 

• Like 2

For a moment there, I thought I was the only one who can't stand Ginny.  I find her rude and disrespectful to her mother.  She acts as though they are on the same level.  Ingrate!

23 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

She acts as though they are on the same level. 

That goes both ways, IMO. Georgia definitely revels in being the "cool" mom.

• Like 2

So are the Hunter haters won over yet?  I smiled through that whole tap dance routine.

The Mayor and Hunter are too perfect.  They're like Manic Pixie Dream Boys.  Not that I mind.

It was funny when the Mayor said "Both Millennials AND Boomer want walkable communities".  LOL.  Poor Gen X.  

God, Ginny really thinks she's the shit now and it's wearing thin for me.  

Why does Hunter hang out with the worst guys alive?  It suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

• Like 1

I hated, hated hated hated hated hated Scott Porter on The Good Wife so it's nice for me to kind of like him here now.

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well after reading the thread, people hate Hunter more than ever. LOL.  

Aw, I don't think there's much actual Hunter hate. I think the tap-dancing just put some of us into an unwanted Glee flashback. Maybe just me. :)

I don't think the writers served the Hunter character particularly well (honestly, they kind of f'd up the whole love triangle). I like the actor, though. And I like some stuff we see from Hunter in later episodes. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Poor Gen X.  

I feel this. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I hated, hated hated hated hated hated Scott Porter on The Good Wife so it's nice for me to kind of like him here now.

I kind of liked his edge on The Good Wife... he typically plays do gooders... 

20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was funny when the Mayor said "Both Millennials AND Boomer want walkable communities".  LOL.  Poor Gen X.

Right. I get so annoyed by this. It’s like do people not realize there’s a whole group of people born in between you? I watched “My So Called Life” (which I find this show to be a poor man’s version of) while in my senior year of high school. Angela Chase, Ricky and Jordan Catalano are fellow Gen-Xers. 

• Like 1

Then there are those of us like me who were born at the very tail end of the boomer era but are considered too old for Gen X. It's rough being on the cusp!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Then there are those of us like me who were born at the very tail end of the boomer era but are considered too old for Gen X. It's rough being on the cusp!

I totally agree. I’m a tail-end Gen-Xer. Took them years to even decide what we were. Someone wrote a piece about us “Carter Babies” about 10 years ago and decided to name us, what else of course, Generation Catalano lol.

• Like 1