Type keyword(s) to search

College Bowl - General Discussion

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

from NBC: Some of the greatest rivalries among the nation's universities are being moved from the playing field to the quiz show space as NBC has given a series order to the iconic program "College Bowl," hosted by two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback Peyton Manning, with his brother Cooper Manning as sideline reporter. Participating teams will be selected from schools of all sizes with the individuals receiving a significant scholarship for participating in "College Bowl." The winning team members will have a chance to take home even bigger scholarships, in addition to bragging rights as the "College Bowl" champions.

47 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Are they required to start every answer with "Peyton..."?

That was super annoying.  And I don't particularly care for Peyton Manning as the host.  With his drawl, he says everything a fraction too slow and not quite as crisp as I expect from a game show host, especially one who has to ask a lot questions very quickly.  But I can understand him and he's tolerable.

Other than that, this was super enjoyable, and a great way to keep the brain neurons firing.  I knew a lot, hardly all of the answers.  And during the 2 minute drills the responses frequently came before the question was finished, and I couldn't make out the answer.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

That was super annoying.  And I don't particularly care for Peyton Manning as the host.  With his drawl, he says everything a fraction too slow and not quite as crisp as I expect from a game show host, especially one who has to ask a lot questions very quickly.  But I can understand him and he's tolerable.

I know nothing about Peyton Manning except he played football and he has a brother Eli who also played football, and he's been in commercials for something I don't remember, so I wouldn't have expected to see him as a trivia game host. Not sure the purpose of Cooper (I did not know he had another brother until I started seeing ads for this recently) on the show, but he was entertaining enough and not obnoxious so I'm okay with him.

Peyton pronouncing Cooper's name as "Cupper" is already annoying.

As someone who participated in formal College Bowl tournaments in the 90s, I can only say that I wish we could have picked the categories. (Also, wrong answers cost you points.)

• Love 1

I love this show!  But then, I'm a Peyton Manning fan, and enjoy his sense of humor and delivery. If you're not familiar with his history or that of the family, than you will be missing out on some subtle stuff, but I think the show is well done. Looking forward to more episodes. 

(Really enjoyed when Tom Brady made an appearance to psych up the Michigan team. 😄)

• Love 1

I like Peyton too; his appearance on SNL is one of my favorite episodes. I do wonder how the players are chosen though. Those universities have zillions of students, how are three picked. Is College Bowl still a thing IRL? Maybe those three are the best CB players from those schools? Anyone know?

While I'm not invested in any of the competing universities, I pick one before each round and, without fail, my choice doesn't win. Such is life I guess.

• Love 1

Wow, Morehouse was doing so well in the regular rounds but blew it in the 2 minute drill.  Their captain was passing on questions way too quickly, and then they still had to wait for Peyton to tell them what the correct answer is.  The captain of Ole Miss was awesome, I think she was answering most of the questions herself in the 2 minute drill. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I still want to know if there's some rule that they have to say Peyton's name with every response and if so, whose idea was that......?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I still want to know if there's some rule that they have to say Peyton's name with every response and if so, whose idea was that......?

I don't know if there's a written rule, but it seems to take the place of the phrase "Our final, official answer is...."

I'm fin with this show but I prefer Cooper to Peyton.  I'm not sure what the point of Cooper is on this show but I'd like the show more if he were the host.  I'm a southerner and I have been known to drawl as have pretty much everybody who has ever been related to me but there is something about Peyton's voice or accent or stiffness?  I don't know.   I find him off putting.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the round where they went through the Olympic cities, but I thought it went a bit long just for the purpose of eliminating a player in the final round. There should have been a points reward too.

I agree Cooper would be a better host. Maybe next season? (If there is one)

Does Peyton Manning have a speech impediment?  He pronounces his "S" sounds not in a sibilant "Sssss" way but in a "sh" way.  Like Jimmy Stewart used to.  Where "yes" comes out like "yesh."  Something about making the "S" sound in the middle of your throat instead of the front.  Is that considered an impediment?  I'm not trying to be mean.  I know he had a cleft palate so I sympathize, but either way it seems strange to pick him as a host for a rapid-fire trivia game where pronunciation is key.

Also, this is a contest of intellect and trivia.  Can't they leave the sports analogies out of it?  "We got a ball game now, Coop!"  Ugh.  Boys and their stupid sports.

And lastly, the word is "VERSUS," Cooper and Peyton, not "VERSE."  Drives me insane.

I forgot this was on until I saw it last night.

One of the episodes I saw had Michigan Minnesota Alabama Auburn.  The Alabama captain with the wavy hair was ultra annoying because he kept waving his hand in a circular motion as if to tell Peyton to speak faster so as to waste less time with the question.  Peyton reads a the same speed for everyone.  He's not going to speed up just because you make a rolling let's go motion with your hand.  Michigan got one round of PreMed questions that seemed like high school biology questions.

Agree that you shouldn't let the teams pick their major.  Would have loved to see a team pick Sports and Fitness, since as a fan of all sports I'd rock it.  But there was one team that picked History and it was really hard.  Not sure why they would choose that.

There needs to be a countdown light timer or something when you buzz in.  Frequently teams would stutter and stall until Peyton said "I need an answer".

I'll have to pay more attention, but when somebody buzzes in, are they allowed to get advice and confirmation from their teammates, or do they have to answer?  Seems like if you buzz in, you should have to answer.  I think in the team rounds, they can talk and that's why they all crowd a little closer to the captain.

I also don't understand the point of Cooper.  He's sort of like a moderator and sidekick who is there just to make corny jokes.  He serves no purpose.  Maybe it was part of the deal of Peyton taking the job.  Trying to help out his brother.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:21 PM, greyhorse said:

I also don't understand the point of Cooper.  He's sort of like a moderator and sidekick who is there just to make corny jokes.

I think you answered your own question!

I enjoyed the episode where Columbia won. Not as many wrong answers/passes as the episode before.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, mojoween said:

Both teams who lost a player to the dropout round had their female player sit out.  Nice optics, boys.

I doubt they considered the "optics".  In both cases, the female player had been the weakest up to that point in that particular show, either by providing wrong answers or not have any answer.  

• Love 2
On 7/22/2021 at 2:06 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I doubt they considered the "optics".  In both cases, the female player had been the weakest up to that point in that particular show, either by providing wrong answers or not have any answer.  

Agree.  And I don't think 18-21 year olds are really thinking of "optics".  I think a better option would be to allow the other team to knock out a non-captain on the losing team.

I noticed much more of the "Peyton, we'll take...", "Peyton <this>..."

2 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I noticed much more of the "Peyton, we'll take...", "Peyton <this>..."

I wonder if they say that, or are told to say that, to make it clear that what is said next is THE answer. That would avoid any controversy if a player said something then tried to retract it, "That wasn't our REAL answer."

So I'm not letting it bother me, even though I do notice it because of comments here.

On 7/22/2021 at 5:06 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

You also have to keep in mind that the contestants have picked their final category before they have to eliminate someone, so they may be considering who might be stronger in the final round. I noticed in the show before the Columbia one, the team that had to eliminate a player had picked Business as the final category and kept the business major on the team.

• Love 2

I'm glad this is back, I very much like that the show is giving the players college-fund money. Maybe I wasn't in such a good mood though since Cooper Manning never bothered me before, but last night, wow, he couldn't have been any more irritating ... and stupid. He really bugged. Maybe if he had a better writer ...

I can’t help it, I love Cooper always.  

Good on Columbia for the comeback, they were so far down I didn’t think it was going to be possible.

Next week I think Alabama is going to get through because that tall floppy-haired kid knows a lot about a lot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

I can’t help it, I love Cooper always.  

Good on Columbia for the comeback, they were so far down I didn’t think it was going to be possible.

Next week I think Alabama is going to get through because that tall floppy-haired kid knows a lot about a lot.

That made me smile.  He does tower over smallish dude with the wave that wants Peyton to speed up the questions.  Yea he does know a lot about a lot .That being said they are really good.  Was hoping for the Alabama Roll Tide vs Auburn.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2021 at 11:37 PM, Diana Berry said:

Going to miss roll tide.

Right?  I can’t believe I ever rooted for any team from Alabama.

I blame Alec, I feel like he was locking them out of the buzzer.  USC was a force though.  Will USC steamroll Columbia, or do they have another comeback in their bones?

• Love 1

[Climbs on soapbox}

I need to stop watching this because I'm getting angry, and getting flashbacks.  😆

Seriously, though, the difficulty here is a fucking joke.  The vast majority of these questions were 9th-10th grade level at best.   "Advanced Astronomy" and the answer is Earth? Do the creators even know what college-level trivia is??

[Off soapbox]

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

[Climbs on soapbox}

I need to stop watching this because I'm getting angry, and getting flashbacks.  😆

Seriously, though, the difficulty here is a fucking joke.  The vast majority of these questions were 9th-10th grade level at best.   "Advanced Astronomy" and the answer is Earth? Do the creators even know what college-level trivia is??

[Off soapbox]

I believe you’re right lol.  I’m an old timer college graduate and I’m getting slot of them right.  These whippersnappers shouldn’t miss any of these questions.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

[Climbs on soapbox}

[Off soapbox]

I agree about the difficulty, but starting with using a famous ex football player as host, I think the point of the show is to entertain average viewers who can play along at home, not challenge the knowledge of the competitors.

it would be interesting to figure out how they picked these schools and contestants to begin with.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I agree about the difficulty, but starting with using a famous ex football player as host, I think the point of the show is to entertain average viewers who can play along at home, not challenge the knowledge of the competitors.

it would be interesting to figure out how they picked these schools and contestants to begin with.

I see your point, but these kids have the possibility of winning a serious benefit.  I'm sure there are kids from 100 different schools throwing shit at their televisions.

• Love 1

I was excited for this show because I was a kiddo and didn't know any of the answers back when Allen Ludden was hosting.  Those serious bespectacled competitors represented to me, I suppose, "the intelligence to be gleaned from higher education."

I must have overshot the mark because I'm embarrassed for most of this current bunch.

The season premiere is 8 p.m. September 9 and the competing schools are (spoilered in case you like to be surprised)

Syracuse , Albany State (Georgia), BYU, Duke, Morehouse College, (the) OSU, Penn State, Spelman College, UCSB, Florida, UGA, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, UTAustin, Washington and returning champs Columbia

• Love 1

The College Bowl was fine the way it was.  Steve Whatshisname brings nothing to the proceedings.

I cannot get over how hideous the BYU mascot is.  That face is terrifying!  For that alone I was rooting for Washington.

Aidan from Georgia is a lot to handle, but I can’t deny the kid his brains.

Well, at least Notre Dame has the College Bowl to look forward to.

I enjoyed the season 2 premiere. I don’t mind the audience or the mascots.  Thought the questions were alot tougher which was good.

Aiden from Georgia was a hoot.  I’m a Gator but his attitude was fun.  No love loss between the schools but have to give him a Go Dawgs for his performance.

Spelman has GOT to pick it up in the two minute drill.  Pass if you don’t know, ladies!

Geographically I’m rooting for Cuse but I’m not liking their chances going forward.

Loved that snippet of Ada from last season and what she did with her winnings.

No matter what I do in my life, I cannot get away from Duke vs. Syracuse.  Since it wasn’t basketball, I can’t be mad at the hometown kids taking the victory.

That feels like it was the closest final so far.