Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Decrypt

• Start Topic

(edited)

Those discussion about what characters should have and shouldn’t have done are somewhat for naught.

Of course, it is important to discuss the legal implications and the ethical framework a character is acting in. Yet, this is only the first step in the run. This is a drama, not a law seminar.

The next and way more important step is to ask what the characters’ actions and choices say about the characters themselves.

Take Alex Park for example. When the character was introduced in episode 1x15 Heartfelt, he opposed the idea of a convict donating a liver to a boy. Though, the ex-cop’s ethics were flexible enough to talk the killer into taking a gun to his own head. The “assisted” suicide of a hired gun made it possible to save several lives thanks to the following organ harvest.

In 4x10 “Decrypt”, Park not only accepts the organ donation of another murderer, but he is also the one initiating it. The character has evolved, Park is less prejudiced against criminals. Though, he still adheres to utilitarian ethics and thus silently watches Jordan lying to the patient – a doctor who stresses to be a devout Christian but has no problems with breaking the 8th commandment if it suits her needs.

These characters are no shining role models of perfection on Instagram. They are broken, they are even hypocrites, they are trying to do what they think is just while their actions and deeds collide with their jobs, other individuals and society at large.

That is what drama is about.

Edited by Power-Aspie
grammar
  • Love 3
On 2/24/2021 at 7:54 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Bite me, Insurance Guy with your sexist comments! I’m a female software engineer and that sort of thing annoys the hell out of me. (And don’t even get me started on ageism in tech, which we’ll probably never see portrayed here or on any other show.)

Am I the only one who thought Insurance Guy was behind the hacking? He insisted the hackers were amateurs and said he could negotiate the ransom down, only to offend the hackers and get the ransom doubled. He was *that close* to getting the money from Glassman. I was hoping Leah would somehow link the attack to him.

• Love 1

As lovely as Claire and Lims friendship is I wish they could manage to go an episode without referring to how selfless and saintly Claire is. It’s so annoying. She’s not the only doctor who cares about patients. Morgan literally spent the episode trying to organise a liver transplant for her patient yet as usual someone has to drop in the obligatory how much Claire cares line.

• Love 1

One thing that really bothered me is no one, not even the dicky insurance guy, mentioned that it was Leah's fault the hack even happened.  If she's in charge the buck stops with her and she knew the network was vulnerable as she got her job by smugly hacking it.  They didn't talk at all about how the intrusion happened and what was done to harden things so there wasn't another attack immediately after she booted everything back up off her implausible recovered drive.  Getting everything back up means nothing if the door is still wide open.  I don't think she should have gotten in trouble for it, depending on how the breach happened, but she probably shouldn't have been treated like a hero either.

• Love 4

I like when shows hire disabled actors to portray disabled characters but this sow is pure fantasy - or maybe there is a hospital in Silicon Valley that treats only the billionaires who flocked there because all treatments and procedures seem to be paid for, somehow.

Like every other show on TV, all identities have been listed and waiting for the check mark - sexual orientation, gender identification, disability, race, the list goes on. It is important for pop culture to address those issues. But when it comes to disabilities, it still fails. There is a palpable bias against intellectually disabled people when it comes to transplant. They will simply be denied to be on the list. That is just a fact. Even when a family member is donating the organ, hospitals still deny the service. It happens all the time. The woman with Down Syndrome would be waiting and would have to fight for the right to be put on the list, and she would never be a priority, even if a donation circle were to be established. 

Like I said, this hospital must be one of the ideations of what Zuck would do if he had any morals -  to build sometning like a hospital that is so great it does all the things for all the people all the time and has no budget woes. It is one of those "never going to happen in the US, ever" ideas.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, circumvent said:

I like when shows hire disabled actors to portray disabled characters but this sow is pure fantasy - or maybe there is a hospital in Silicon Valley that treats only the billionaires who flocked there because all treatments and procedures seem to be paid for, somehow.

Like every other show on TV, all identities have been listed and waiting for the check mark - sexual orientation, gender identification, disability, race, the list goes on. It is important for pop culture to address those issues. But when it comes to disabilities, it still fails. There is a palpable bias against intellectually disabled people when it comes to transplant. They will simply be denied to be on the list. That is just a fact. Even when a family member is donating the organ, hospitals still deny the service. It happens all the time. The woman with Down Syndrome would be waiting and would have to fight for the right to be put on the list, and she would never be a priority, even if a donation circle were to be established. 

Like I said, this hospital must be one of the ideations of what Zuck would do if he had any morals -  to build sometning like a hospital that is so great it does all the things for all the people all the time and has no budget woes. It is one of those "never going to happen in the US, ever" ideas.

You must've missed the show Pure Genius back in 2016 - it was a libertarian's wet dream in hospital form

• Love 1
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

I never even heard of it

oh man, it was hilarious - on that show they were like "WELL IF WE MAKE THIS AND DON'T TELL THE FDA ABOUT IT AND IT WORKS, THAT'S FINE, THEY'LL BE HAPPY WHEN THEY SEE OUR RESULTS!"