Type keyword(s) to search

S09E05: Orchard of Dreams

druzy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, TheRealT said:

I forgot to ask before, does anyone understand what Cate and Ty's thing is about OBVIOUSLY not wanting to have a kid after age 30? Ty's mom agreed that OBVIOUSLY no one would want that and I think I've seen at least one other TM say the same. Obviously, they're idiots, but do they think having kids after 30 is bad for biological reasons, like it will be hard to get/be pregnant? Or for lifestyle reasons, like they'll end up stuck with kids when they're over 50 and want to have a kid-free life? Or that people over 30 don't have the energy to raise young children? I honestly don't get it.

Tyler kept emphasizing OBVIOUSLY,  didnt he,  and rolling his eyes when discussing this. I think they consider 30 as ama, advanced maternal age, which I believe is 35 +, and which I was when expecting my last baby. It wasnt easy, I will admit.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

Maci and Taylor in their stupid TTM shirts are so sanctimonious,  I can barely watch.

I didn't even notice the shirts because I was searching to see if the Big Pile O'Crap was still going strong.   And finally at the last scene - the one where they casually interrogated Bentley about the b-day party under the guise of playing a family game I spotted it in the background. Sure, they moved the scenes this week to 1) Bentley's room and 2) the family room sofa but sure enough it's still there in the background!   I wish I would have thought to try and get a screenshot  but trust me, it's still there.   Maybe bigger.  Heh.  

2 hours ago, TheRealT said:

I forgot to ask before, does anyone understand what Cate and Ty's thing is about OBVIOUSLY not wanting to have a kid after age 30? Ty's mom agreed that OBVIOUSLY no one would want that and I think I've seen at least one other TM say the same. Obviously, they're idiots, but do they think having kids after 30 is bad for biological reasons, like it will be hard to get/be pregnant? Or for lifestyle reasons, like they'll end up stuck with kids when they're over 50 and want to have a kid-free life? Or that people over 30 don't have the energy to raise young children? I honestly don't get it.

Just a guess but since both Tyler's mom and Catelyn's mom were grandmothers in their 30s it probably just seems old to them.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, TheRealT said:

I agree generally about cutting well-meaning young people some slack, but it's hard for me to see Mac as well-meaning. I can't imagine being married to Ryan for a million reasons, but, if I were, I would be horrified by how he treats Bentley and would try to be as nice as possible to Bentley. Or at least do the absolute minimum by saying more than "hi" to him when he came to my kid's b-day party, especially since his dad didn't talk to him any more than that. If I couldn't be assed to talk to Bentley when he came to my kid's b-day party (and was undoubtedly more engaged with my children than their dad), I would at least not talk shit about him and his mom on TV. Mac is trash.

This!  What happened to Mac quitting the show? Remember when she announced that she was quitting? Hmmm...guess that MTV money won out.

1 hour ago, Chris Knight said:

Ok sure, Tyler, you dont watch the show ?!?! He probably turns off his phone, draws the blinds and records and analyzes every episode. 

Well he might be too busy with his 9-5 job to watch...Oh...my bad...I forgot he doesn't work and never has except for that pizzeria job he had years ago for a hot second.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

This!  What happened to Mac quitting the show? Remember when she announced that she was quitting? Hmmm...guess that MTV money won out.

Well, the bills don't pay themselves. Actually, I think even if they didn't pay her, Mac would still want to be on TV. Apart from that, Jen and Larry seem comfortable, but not "rich," and I think they are Ryan and Mac's sole/primary source of financial support apart from MTV. I assume that J&L and Mac's fantasy is that one day Ryan will straighten up and get a job, but does he even have any skills or training? I think he used to have a job (years ago), but I don't know what he was doing. Mac doesn't seem to have any type of profession or career aspirations. It seems like she's never really had a job; she's pretty young and has been a mom since she was in her very early 20's (at least). So it makes sense that she'd want to milk every penny she can out of MTV. That's probably the most sensible thing she's done since she hooked up with Ryan.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Gary doesn't owe her anything...he raised their daughter while she was bedding men, getting high and beating up on people.

Specifically, beating up on Gary.

I don't know what exactly is motivating Gary--I hope it isn't survivor's guilt--but I admire him and Christina for their parenting, especially for the way they have protected Leah from inappropriate media attention (leg-shaving party, anyone?) and for how the two girls seem to have grown up loving each other, with a sisterly relationship.  It can't have been easy (or imo humanly possible) for Christina to have become such a mom--a real mom--to Leah, given Gary and Amber's relationship and the way she mistreated him over the years, and especially after her own daughter was born. 

Pretty is as pretty does--there's Amber with her carefully polished exterior vs. schlubby Gary and pretty but glamorous Christina, and the tiara clearly goes to Gary and Christina.  They are beautiful.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, TheRealT said:

I agree generally about cutting well-meaning young people some slack, but it's hard for me to see Mac as well-meaning. I can't imagine being married to Ryan for a million reasons, but, if I were, I would be horrified by how he treats Bentley and would try to be as nice as possible to Bentley. Or at least do the absolute minimum by saying more than "hi" to him when he came to my kid's b-day party, especially since his dad didn't talk to him any more than that. If I couldn't be assed to talk to Bentley when he came to my kid's b-day party (and was undoubtedly more engaged with my children than their dad), I would at least not talk shit about him and his mom on TV. Mac is trash.

Yeah, I go back-and-forth regarding Mac and her motivations. Can’t really remember where I heard or read about this (but I swear I read or heard somewhere that) Mac so wanted to be on “16 and Pregnant”  that she purposely got pregnant with her oldest kid as a teenager, and I guess contacted production. She didn’t make the cut, so she purposely sought out Ryan and somehow got him to start dating her so she could be on “Teen Mom OG” as sort of a secondary character. It all grew from there. In this era of reality TV, Instagram, and YouTube being how many young people become famous, it all makes a twisted sort of “sense”. 
  Regarding career goals, I can remember a few seasons ago that Mac was talking about going to nursing school. Not sure if she’s dropped that ambition or what. She’s not terribly likable, but I can never shake a sense of pity/second- hand embarrassment I developed for her while  watching that horrific wedding of hers and Ryan’s.  (Well, they were both horrific but the second one was almost worse.) Ryan was barely able to dredge up even a fake sense of affection for his new bride, and there was Jen palling it up with Maci and Mac’s friend even called out, on camera, how awkward Mac and Ryan’s first dance together had been. She wanted a fun, romantic wedding on camera, and got the exact opposite. So I’ve always felt sorry for her because of that.

Edited by Liamsmom617
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I was just thinking.  They have dropped almost all of Tyler and Caitlyns family from the payroll.

I'm thinking that's pandemic related and that they tried to keep things at a minimum, including anything interesting.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Just a guess but since both Tyler's mom and Catelyn's mom were grandmothers in their 30s it probably just seems old to them.  

Yeah, I agree. I don’t think there’s some big mysterious reason why they don’t want to be having kids in their 30s. It’s just what they think. They both grew up in an environment where people started having kids in their late teens/early 20s and that’s what everyone did. I get the impression that most people they knew had jobs not careers and not much education after High School. Even their knowledge of trade schools seemed really sketchy when they were younger so I’m guessing they just didn’t know many people who purposely built up any kind of career or life. People had kids young and got jobs. I think that happens in most groups. People sort of get married and start families around the same time because that’s what they know. Most of my friends had their 1st kid in their 30s. It wasn’t really because they were building their empire. I mean most did go to college but it wasn’t like everyone was full of well thought out 10 year plans. It was just what they sort of knew and expected.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

And I think she actually thinks she is doing the right thing!  All those years of people patting her on the back really got to her head.

I agree with you here. I feel like she *thinks* what she's doing is helpful, for Bentley as well as viewers who might be in a similar situation. The issue is she doesn't seem to have anyone telling her it's a really bad idea.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, SilverLake0315 said:

I agree with you here. I feel like she *thinks* what she's doing is helpful, for Bentley as well as viewers who might be in a similar situation. The issue is she doesn't seem to have anyone telling her it's a really bad idea.

True, but most parents do the best they can with what they know and I think Maci has done pretty well with Bentley especially considering she had him as a teenager.   He seems like a good kid and has a family that loves and cares about him - even if that doesn't include his father. 

Of course she should keep his story off TV but it's what she's known (and Bentley too for that matter) for a decade; after all putting her own stuff (getting knocked up in high school) was what launched her lifestyle.   Except that was her idea and I'm not sure living out his problems on the show is Bentley's idea.  He seems like a pleaser.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5
On 2/23/2021 at 11:01 PM, Liamsmom617 said:

We all say this every week, but FFS Maci, stop having these conversations with Bentley on-camera. Do they really need the money that much to stay on the show? I mean I know they don’t have a storyline otherwise, but damn.

Edit:  Ryan.   I mean Ryan.

More than that, even, stop making Bentley do the dirty work Maci ought to be doing.  As soon as Adam's mom told Maci about the change of venue, *Maci* needed to make the call she had Bentley make.  I guess she would need to ask B. if he still wanted to go if the party were at Adam's house, but then *she* should have been the one to call what's-her-face and told her B. didn't want to go to a party at his dad's house *because his dad never showed one scintilla of interest in seeing him.*  Maci hides behind Bentley all the time in situations like this, I suppose because she wants him to be "responsible," but this stuff isn't Bentley's responsibility.  Maci protects herself because she wants *Bentley* to be the one who has to bad-mouth Adam, and Adam's mom isn't going to open the door to that with Bentley.

Several of the other TMs do this kind of thing, and I suspect they pat themselves on the back for it, for letting their kids "own their feelings" or "take responsibility."  This is the kind of stuff it's a parent's duty to shield a kid from.  And it pisses me off.

Edited by Mothra
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Mothra said:

I don't know what exactly is motivating Gary--I hope it isn't survivor's guilt--but I admire him and Christina for their parenting, especially for the way they have protected Leah from inappropriate media attention (leg-shaving party, anyone?) and for how the two girls seem to have grown up loving each other, with a sisterly relationship.  It can't have been easy (or imo humanly possible) for Christina to have become such a mom--a real mom--to Leah, given Gary and Amber's relationship and the way she mistreated him over the years, and especially after her own daughter was born. 

Pretty is as pretty does--there's Amber with her carefully polished exterior vs. schlubby Gary and pretty but glamorous Christina, and the tiara clearly goes to Gary and Christina.  They are beautiful.

If Gary was truly protecting Leah, he would have quit the show and taken Leah with him. Instead he has continued to exploit her.

• Love 9
On 2/24/2021 at 11:03 AM, Mr. Miner said:

One kid is named Broncs because Josh had dreams of being a rodeo star. He failed and became a mumbling, brain dead POS instead. That family would be better off without him around. But Mac isn't very bright herself so I have to FF through them, too depressing.

With one kid named Broncs (everybody will assume it's supposed to be Bronx and his parents were stupid) and Gannon, the arch-villain of The Legend of Zelda Nintendo game, they need to have their Child Naming Rights revoked, stat.

5 hours ago, Mothra said:

*Un* glamorous.  I meant *unglamorous*.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Mothra said:

More than that, even, stop making Bentley do the dirty work Maci ought to be doing.  As soon as Adam's mom told Maci about the change of venue, *Maci* needed to make the call she had Bentley make.  I guess she would need to ask B. if he still wanted to go if the party were at Adam's house, but then *she* should have been the one to call what's-her-face and told her B. didn't want to go to a party at his dad's house *because his dad never showed one scintilla of interest in seeing him.*  Maci hides behind Bentley all the time in situations like this, I suppose because she wants him to be "responsible," but this stuff isn't Bentley's responsibility.  Maci protects herself because she wants *Bentley* to be the one who has to bad-mouth Adam, and Adam's mom isn't going to open the door to that with Bentley.

Several of the other TMs do this kind of thing, and I suspect they pat themselves on the back for it, for letting their kids "own their feelings" or "take responsibility."  This is the kind of stuff it's a parent's duty to shield a kid from.  And it pisses me off.

Maci can't win. She gets blamed for keeping Bentley from Ryan and his family so she allows him to make his own decision and is still criticized.

In my opinion, Bentley is old enough to express his feelings and maintain his own relationship with his grandparents.  If he didn't feel comfortable calling Jen, he would've said so.  If Maci had made that phone call to Jen, everyone would've blamed her for him skipping the party at Ryan's. 

Heck, he told Jen & Larry that he wasn't comfortable being around Ryan and they continually choose to ignore his wishes.  I'm sorry, but they're the problem, not Maci.

Edited by snarts
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I was just thinking.  They have dropped almost all of Tyler and Caitlyns family from the payroll.

I was wondering what the hell happened to Butch? Is he OK or is he strung out again...I think it's weird that someone who was an integral part of the story line for as long as the show has been on is no longer on or even mentioned.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Maci can't win. She gets blamed for keeping Bentley from Ryan and his family so she allows him to make his own decision and is still criticized.

In my opinion, Bentley is old enough to express his feelings and maintain his own relationship with his grandparents.  If he didn't feel comfortable calling Jen, he would've said so.  If Maci had made that phone call to Jen, everyone would've blamed her for him skipping the party at Ryan's. 

Heck, he told Jen & Larry that he wasn't comfortable being around Ryan and they continually choose to ignore his wishes.  I'm sorry, but they're the problem, not Maci.

But he's not making his own decisions.  Maci is a control freak and she "leads" Bentley to every decision. 

A few episodes ago, Maci tells Taylor that Bentley NEVER asks to see his dad. 

Later in the episode Bentley says, "Will I get to see my dad?" 

She says, "remember how you said you don't want to see him unless he goes to therapy????"

Bentley was like, "oh yeah."

The kid just wants to see his dad.  Bentley wanted to go to the friday party, no matter that it was at Ryan's house.  Maci led him to the decision that he should call and tell Mimi Jen that he didn't want to go.

It is very clear that Bentley doesn't want to be on the show, he is uncomfortable on camera and is trying to please his mom.  Bentley doesn't care that Ryan is a loser, he just wants to see him.  He wants a relationship with his dad and he really really wants a relationship with his brother and sister (Ryan's kids).  

It is hard for me to understand, I would think he would be like - whatever my dad sucks.  I can't understand why he wants to see him.  Personally, I grew up with an amazing family, but my husband has a mother that is awful and he still wants to see her.  Boggles my mind but I guess some people still want that connection even when the parents are losers who CLEARLY don't gaf.

I maintain that what she is doing is abusive.  She is an adult, and she chose the show and the pros and cons that come with it.  Like someone pointed out upthread - Bentley didn't choose to do the show and even if he did, he is 11 years old, he cannot make these decisions!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Liamsmom617 said:

Yeah, I go back-and-forth regarding Mac and her motivations. Can’t really remember where I heard or read about this (but I swear I read or heard somewhere that) Mac so wanted to be on “16 and Pregnant”  that she purposely got pregnant with her oldest kid as a teenager, and I guess contacted production. She didn’t make the cut, so she purposely sought out Ryan and somehow got him to start dating her so she could be on “Teen Mom OG” as sort of a secondary character. It all grew from there. In this era of reality TV, Instagram, and YouTube being how many young people become famous, it all makes a twisted sort of “sense”. 
  Regarding career goals, I can remember a few seasons ago that Mac was talking about going to nursing school. Not sure if she’s dropped that ambition or what. She’s not terribly likable, but I can never shake a sense of pity/second- hand embarrassment I developed for her while  watching that horrific wedding of hers and Ryan’s.  (Well, they were both horrific but the second one was almost worse.) Ryan was barely able to dredge up even a fake sense of affection for his new bride, and there was Jen palling it up with Maci and Mac’s friend even called out, on camera, how awkward Mac and Ryan’s first dance together had been. She wanted a fun, romantic wedding on camera, and got the exact opposite. So I’ve always felt sorry for her because of that.

I don't feel sorry for her...there is no love there. She basically stalked him at his gym and "bumped" into him. She wanted fame and fortune and she got it. She just didn't realize she was going to be stuck with a sustance abuser who is an entitled, spoiled enabled mama's boy.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

But he's not making his own decisions.  Maci is a control freak and she "leads" Bentley to every decision. 

A few episodes ago, Maci tells Taylor that Bentley NEVER asks to see his dad. 

Later in the episode Bentley says, "Will I get to see my dad?" 

She says, "remember how you said you don't want to see him unless he goes to therapy????"

Bentley was like, "oh yeah."

The kid just wants to see his dad.  Bentley wanted to go to the friday party, no matter that it was at Ryan's house.  Maci led him to the decision that he should call and tell Mimi Jen that he didn't want to go.

It is very clear that Bentley doesn't want to be on the show, he is uncomfortable on camera and is trying to please his mom.  Bentley doesn't care that Ryan is a loser, he just wants to see him.  He wants a relationship with his dad and he really really wants a relationship with his brother and sister (Ryan's kids).  

It is hard for me to understand, I would think he would be like - whatever my dad sucks.  I can't understand why he wants to see him.  Personally, I grew up with an amazing family, but my husband has a mother that is awful and he still wants to see her.  Boggles my mind but I guess some people still want that connection even when the parents are losers who CLEARLY don't gaf.

I maintain that what she is doing is abusive.  She is an adult, and she chose the show and the pros and cons that come with it.  Like someone pointed out upthread - Bentley didn't choose to do the show and even if he did, he is 11 years old, he cannot make these decisions!

I feel like I watched a different show.  Bentley is clearly uncomfortable around Ryan, and Ryan either ignores him or picks on him.  In the scene you described, I recall Bentley asking if his Dad will be there, not in a hopeful manner but rather with dread.  

Yeah, he probably wishes his dad would make an effort but I do not see him wanting to spend any time with him in his current state.  Jen/Larry have always force those interactions.  Bentley was clear & articulate in telling Jen why he didn't want to go to Ryan's house.  11 is old enough to know & express how you feel.

As for participation on the show, I don't know any preteen who'd voluntarily sign up for it.  I just find it amusing that those who are so appalled that these kids are forced to be on TV willingly watch every week.  My opinion is that pros ($$/college fund) likely outweighs the embarrassment. And again, the entire family lives off the show, so laying the blame entirely at Maci's feet seems a bit unfair.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, snarts said:

Needless to say, I disagree, except for one thing, bolded above.

Actually, the fact that Jen and Larry *ignore* what Bentley says about his dad indicates even more strongly that Bentley needs help from Maci in talking to them about this.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, snarts said:

I feel like I watched a different show.  Bentley is clearly uncomfortable around Ryan, and Ryan either ignores him or picks on him.  In the scene you described, I recall Bentley asking if his Dad will be there, not in a hopeful manner but rather with dread.  

Yeah, he probably wishes his dad would make an effort but I do not see him wanting to spend any time with him in his current state.  Jen/Larry have always force those interactions.  Bentley was clear & articulate in telling Jen why he didn't want to go to Ryan's house.  11 is old enough to know & express how you feel.

As for participation on the show, I don't know any preteen who'd voluntarily sign up for it.  I just find it amusing that those who are so appalled that these kids are forced to be on TV willingly watch every week.  My opinion is that pros ($$/college fund) likely outweighs the embarrassment. And again, the entire family lives off the show, so laying the blame entirely at Maci's feet seems a bit unfair.

I am one who is appalled and thinks these kids are being exploited. I do NOT watch the show for that reason.

3 hours ago, snarts said:

College fund? Maci should he working to provide that for him, instead of exploiting him. She is the adult and needs to take care of his expenses. 

• Love 5

We've seen some REALLY weird stuff on this show but Cate's obsession with being pregnant was up there.  She was just going to get her period and there was no faint positive line.   That behavior was bizarre.  Also, saying you have a hard time taking care of your kids but you want another.  They have the most unhealthy relationship with pregnancy and parenting.  Adopting Carly really done fucked them up good.

I don't understand Mackenzie's timeline with Josh.  First she says he is going hunting when they are supposed to leave and then she has to call him and ask again when he is leaving.  Didn't he already say?  Why is she asking him the day before she leaves if he wants to go?  She already decided she didn't want him to go.  I don't get any of this!!!  Why is she asking him if he wants to be married?  She asked 4 episodes ago.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

I am one who is appalled and thinks these kids are being exploited. I do NOT watch the show for that reason.

College fund? Maci should he working to provide that for him, instead of exploiting him. She is the adult and needs to take care of his expenses. 

So you comment on a show you don't watch? (Generally curious, how do you even know what's going on, just reading other people's comments?) 

And again, what about his father? There are a number of adults in his life reaping the financial benefits of being on the show yet Maci is the only one people seem to blame. Ryan doesn't pay child support. He hasn't done one damn thing to raise Bentley. He can't even be bothered to come out of his room to talk to him but somehow everything is Maci's fault. 

Maci & Taylor have a business,  which is more than I can say for most of the other folks on the show. I think their t-shirts are stupid but it's been a few years and they're still at it so I'd guess they're making some money from it. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

Tyler, don't pretend you don't watch yourself on this show.  You're too in love with yourself not to tune in.

He is always made up. Hair done, clean clothes and he obviously works out . He likes being on camera.

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, snarts said:

So you comment on a show you don't watch? (Generally curious, how do you even know what's going on, just reading other people's comments?) 

And again, what about his father? There are a number of adults in his life reaping the financial benefits of being on the show yet Maci is the only one people seem to blame. Ryan doesn't pay child support. He hasn't done one damn thing to raise Bentley. He can't even be bothered to come out of his room to talk to him but somehow everything is Maci's fault. 

Maci & Taylor have a business,  which is more than I can say for most of the other folks on the show. I think their t-shirts are stupid but it's been a few years and they're still at it so I'd guess they're making some money from it. 

I don’t comment here a lot, but yes, I hear about the show on this forum and on social media. I do agree that Maci should not be the only one responsible for their son. How do we know Ryan doesn’t pay child support?

• Love 3

Cate, I have taken a few pregnancy tests in my life and they all looked like yours. You know why? Because I wasn't pregnant!!! I couldn't believe she was going on and on about seeing "faint positives". Even Tyler and the producer were telling her she was seeing things.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 2/25/2021 at 9:06 PM, iwantcookies said:

He is always made up. Hair done, clean clothes and he obviously works out . He likes being on camera.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. We snark on them if they're frumpy, too.

Edited by abracadabra
Spelling
8 hours ago, abracadabra said:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. We snark on them if they're frumpy, too.

I think the point was that Tyler loves being on camera so much that he makes sure he looks his best, and isn't fooling anyone by pretending to be so above it all that he doesn't take an hour out of his busy schedule a few weeks a year to watch his own television series.

• Love 10
On 2/25/2021 at 7:44 AM, Mothra said:

the tiara clearly goes to Gary and Christina.  They are beautiful.

I agree!

Cheyenne should not buy a house with/for her boyfriend.  Great way to put the child through misery.  I think Corey and Cheyenne co-parent very well.

• Love 5
On 2/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, jumper sage said:

I agree!

Cheyenne should not buy a house with/for her boyfriend.  Great way to put the child through misery.  I think Corey and Cheyenne co-parent very well.

I’m pretty sure Cheyenne and Zack announced they are expecting a baby. I’m guessing they already knew, hence moving in together.

Is it me or did Chey look preggers in the segment when Cory called to speak to Ryder?? Maybe it was the way she was standing or holding her arm but i wouldn’t put it past MTV for doing some filming after the fact. Reality tv my ass lol. Chey also spoke about Cory coming back to all these “changes”. Hmmm 🧐 ok girl