Type keyword(s) to search

S13: Angela Sum

• Start Topic

The show tells me she's 32, but she looks no older than 17. Granted, I watched on my phone, but forget designing and engineering or whatever it was--she needs to sell whatever makes her look almost half her age.

I think she's a sweetheart, and very beautiful. I loved her audition designs and didn't hate the reviled runway outfit. But she's so fragile I may spend her entire run on the show worrying about her mental state. Not in the way I worried about Ken or Sandro, who were explosive, but worried that it all might be too much for her.

The show tells me she's 32, but she looks no older than 17. Granted, I watched on my phone, but forget designing and engineering or whatever it was--she needs to sell whatever makes her look almost half her age.

You watched on your phone.  Omigod I'm so old.

• Love 4

Oh, trust me, I'm old, but just too cheap for cable. I watched on the Lifetime app on my really not fancy Android phone.

I didn't have a cell phone until I was about 24 because they weren't invented yet.

Oh, trust me, I'm old, but just too cheap for cable. I watched on the Lifetime app on my really not fancy Android phone.

I didn't have a cell phone until I was about 24 because they weren't invented yet.

Does the app enable you to vote on all the online polls?  I'm totally confused as to who votes, or how they do it, are you supposed to use your phone to vote while you watch TV?

I think she's a sweetheart, and very beautiful. I loved her audition designs and didn't hate the reviled runway outfit. But she's so fragile I may spend her entire run on the show worrying about her mental state. Not in the way I worried about Ken or Sandro, who were explosive, but worried that it all might be too much for her.

OK, see, I think that's clearly what Angela puts out, but I'm stuck on the part where she always wanted to be in fashion but the money wasn't there for her to follow her dream so she went to work at an investment bank.

Are we meant to believe that someone who was successful enough working with investment bankers (who as a group don't feel bad about destroying the world economy and getting taxpayer-funded bonuses for it) to quit work and follow her dream in her late twenties or early thirties is too fragile to deal with entry-level fashion designers?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

She's 32! She acts like up until the minute she walked onto the show, she was living with her parents who were literally spoon-feeding her. Either that or "I quit banking" is code for "I had a breakdown", which, hey, I feel you, sister, but maybe an internationally televised clothing design competition shouldn't be your first step outside? Xanax is only so strong.

Edited by bilgistic

That's a lot of chutzpah to stake a claim to the "most denigrated designer ever" crown and makes me wonder how acquainted with the show Angela was.

Two words:  Michael Costello.

OTOH, I don't recall another instance when Heidi or another judge singled one contestant out, seemingly out of nowhere, to berate them for being the worst. 

I feel a little awkward knowing that Angela is posting, to be honest.  It makes me feel like we should be nicer, but I don't want us to feel that way because I enjoy the snark. 

Of course Angela is going to defend herself, but what we've seen vs. what she said about it doesn't quite match up.  She did what she wanted to do, and it led to an early oust.  Somebody has to be eliminated, and only one person is going to win, so it's just a matter of who goes when.  It was her time.

Finally, it always cracks me up when eliminees say the judges didn't get to see what they could do.  I'll give the first person auf'd a pass, because there's a learning curve and I've always felt there shouldn't be an elimination on the first episode, but have a double elimination on the second.  If you haven't brought it by the second episode, that's on you.  The further into the competition, it's completely your fault if the judges haven't seen your best work, regardless of the parameters of the challenges.  It's all well and good to say you would have blown the judges out of the water with your NYFW collection, but if you didn't give them anything to make them want to see what you would do, you didn't do your job.

• Love 4

It's a little bit awkward when the snarkee shows up, but I think it's fine.  PreviouslyTV doesn't have "snark" right in the tagline like TWoP, but it's pretty much understood to be the order of the day. 

And hopefully we'll continue to maintain a nice big gap before we get to cruelty.  Anyone spend time at IMDb?  There are posters over there whose main goal in life must be "Make An Actress Cry."

So anyway:  Welcome, Angela.  There's a lot of talk about you here--some positive, some negative.  It will be nice to check out your blog and compare it to all the speculation.

Oh, and if you ever bump into Tim Gunn again, you can invite him to drop by or warn him off--your choice.  : )

• Love 4

My cynical, untrusting self says, "How do we know that's really Angela?" That post was riddled with misspellings and such, which seems out of character for a person who is highly educated and worked on Wall Street.

• Love 3

My cynical, untrusting self says, "How do we know that's really Angela?" That post was riddled with misspellings and such, which seems out of character for a person who is highly educated and worked on Wall Street.

Plus, the blog entry was well-written. It could be a fan or family member trying to get hits on her posts which is totally fine, but there's no reason to pretend to actually be Angela. 

I feel a little awkward knowing that Angela is posting, to be honest.  It makes me feel like we should be nicer, but I don't want us to feel that way because I enjoy the snark. 

^^I think this is exactly how she wants you to feel.  To the point where people stop talking negatively about her altogether.

• Love 6

I'm not going to stop saying snarky, which I guess could be also known as unkind, things about her because she's following and posting. I'm actually kind of amazed how so many changed their tunes once she surfaced, which, as some have said, possibly could have been her goal.

IF it's even her, or someone acting on her behalf, which seems less likely, she certainly is going to a lot of trouble to show up on a site where there aren't THAT MANY varied people talking about Project Runway. I totally understand if she wanted to show up on Lifetime and comment there, or I guess, even TLo which is pretty well known in connection to Project Runway, but I don't really get showing up here with us semi-professional snarkers.

I still say her dress wasn't the worst of that night and she shouldn't have gone home for it compared to Sean's and Alexander's, but she isn't the first person that's happened to and won't be the last, even this season. Wondering if there was some behind the scenes stuff that factored into this... I don't know. She also was most certainly NOT the most picked on designer ever in the history of the show. There have been plenty that the judges seemed to dislike right out of the gate.

• Love 3

I'm not going to stop saying snarky, which I guess could be also known as unkind, things about her because she's following and posting. I'm actually kind of amazed how so many changed their tunes once she surfaced, which, as some have said, possibly could have been her goal.

Good for you.  I'll sound like a condescending ass if I say anything more, but I think that is exactly the result I'm hoping for.  Whether or not she is looking for sympathy and for people to just soothe her and be nice instead of just saying what they would naturally say.....if people don't respond to it by changing their behavior than it really doesn't matter.  And I love this snarkfest too much for all of that!

• Love 3

Over in the Restaurant Startup thread, we had one of the participants show up to explain/defend his product.  I was not particularly complimentary about his product before he showed up, but I wholeheartedly stand by my remarks.  He neglected to address an aspect that I was curious about, but I let that go.

I'm not a deliberately cruel person in RL or online and I don't make fun of things people can't change.  However, I will be honest in communicating my personal view.  I think most of us here are the same way.

Angela has to know full well what happens on discussion boards.  "You take the good, you take the bad....." (/Facts of Life themesong) 

• Love 3

PepperMonkey - Angela may be reaching a larger audience than imagined. A lot of Television Without Pity orphans have come here - myself included - and we still bring as much snark as ever.

I still think that Angela is a talented designer with an aesthetic that appeals to me. That being said, while I didn't think her most recent outfit was auf-worthy, (there were at least three I disliked completely), I agree with Tim that it wasn't really the right environment for her. She's said on these boards and in her blog, that she's a much toughher person than what was edited (she does admit she gave them raw material) but what we did see showed someone who was not finding her footing among her competitors. (But thanks again, Amanda, for giving Angela a hug right away).

• Love 1

I'm kind of where i was at the beginning. I don't think shaky people get ahead in investment banking or engineering, and I think the fragile thing was seriously overblown.

• Love 1

IF it's even her, or someone acting on her behalf, which seems less likely, she certainly is going to a lot of trouble to show up on a site where there aren't THAT MANY varied people talking about Project Runway. I totally understand if she wanted to show up on Lifetime and comment there, or I guess, even TLo which is pretty well known in connection to Project Runway, but I don't really get showing up here with us semi-professional snarkers.

I still say her dress wasn't the worst of that night and she shouldn't have gone home for it compared to Sean's and Alexander's, but she isn't the first person that's happened to and won't be the last, even this season. Wondering if there was some behind the scenes stuff that factored into this... I don't know. She also was most certainly NOT the most picked on designer ever in the history of the show. There have been plenty that the judges seemed to dislike right out of the gate.

Showing up here is the only way she's going to get folks to continue to talk about her because she's off the show now. That's my take.

• Love 5

^^I think this is exactly how she wants you to feel.  To the point where people stop talking negatively about her altogether.

We can't really know what's in her mind, but her words didn't seem to convey that's what she expected.  She thanked people for being nice, but that's not the same thing in my opinion as trying to manipulate everyone into being that way.

I trod the same middleground in response to her that I did before she posted.  That watching her "made my teeth ache' (that it was a chore watching her onscreen due to the angst), but that at the same time I believed that Heidi's method of singling her out was pretty disgusting, and she had my sympathy for that (she does--even still).  If she's smart, she'll realize that she's been garnering more pity than anger against her, and while very few people want pity, it's at the very least the better of the two options. Given that she fed the Reality TV monster a lot of material to use against her, she shouldn't get off scott free, however neither should she dwell on it--she just should move on and not define herself by it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

But it wasn't just "thank you" it was "Thank you" + it was so unfair because I was pushed down even though I had creative ideas and I took risks + I was constantly pushed down which is really why I was an emotional wreck + its the judges fault for me being an emotional wreck because they were the ones that pushed me down in spite of my creative and risk taking designs + but someone else cried so this should make my crying okay.  

And by focusing on the crying she makes it seem like any critique of her has to do with the crying, she did way more than cry, she was shown passive aggressively manipulating her teammates in the unconventional materials challenge.  And then crying when the result of her manipulations brought down her team's score, which I think was a further manipulation.  I thought it was manipulative when Helen got upset with Sandro in the judging room because she was on the bottom in much the same way.  And now I see her using these same passive aggressive "aw shucks" manipulations to get sympathy.  Because honestly, other designers took bigger risks, and had more creative ideas which they were able to successfully execute.  So why would she be shocked to be in the bottom when everyone else has just as many ideas, takes risks and successfully executes.  And other designers have been constantly pushed into the bottom and didn't dissolve into a bucket of emotion.

But, IMO, when you find fault with the judges for pushing you to the bottom in spite of your creative risk taking designs, to me, you're implying that you believe that either no one else took creative design risks, or that your creative design risks were so much better that they shouldn't have put you in the bottom in spite of being wholly unable to execute any of them.  

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 4

Showing up here is the only way she's going to get folks to continue to talk about her because she's off the show now. That's my take.

You are 100% correct, and I'm going to knock it off now - I think agree or disagree with me, I shared my thoughts. And I appreciate that no one got upset or super salty.

• Love 2

hey.. sorry if it bothered anyone i intruded here.  i was working late and stumbled here.. i really wasn't digging, and then thought i could move on or respond.  Thought responding might make me a few new friends ;)  These forums are new to me. social media is new to me :P  I thought i could 'engage'...

The self-glorfying parts--i didnt meant to be that way, but i went on determined to not let the intense competitive environment turn me ugly, turn me into someone i'd regret.  I am kinda awkward, it comes off nervous or stressed or not confident.. and so it bugged me that's all they focused on*.  So was trying to share in response to that.  (*of course, i should know that going into a reality show...)

Sorry anything i say about myself can pretty much seem defensive. what can i say.  At least now i can just watch and discuss/share and leave myself out of the discussion :P  If my comments are unwelcomed.. that's fine.. hate to have intruded.  

• Love 3

Sorry anysthing i say about myself can pretty much seem defensive. what can i say. At least now i can just watch and discuss/share and leave myself out of the discussion :P If my comments are unwelcomed.. that's fine.. hate to have intruded.

If you're new to this, you're probably just running into metacommentary, where everyone chews all the possible ramifications of everything over for a week until the new content comes. As long as you and TV narrative you are different people, I wouldn't take it too personally.

Edited by Julia

I think it's nice to have you, Angela.  It's always interesting to get a behind-the-scenes view!  I know I would enjoy hearing your comments on future episodes.  Is it true that the elminated designers have to come along on all the field trips but say out of camera range?  I'd love to hear those stories.

• Love 2

hey.. sorry if it bothered anyone i intruded here.  i was working late and stumbled here.. i really wasn't digging, and then thought i could move on or respond.  Thought responding might make me a few new friends ;)  These forums are new to me. social media is new to me :P  I thought i could 'engage'...

The self-glorfying parts--i didnt meant to be that way, but i went on determined to not let the intense competitive environment turn me ugly, turn me into someone i'd regret.  I am kinda awkward, it comes off nervous or stressed or not confident.. and so it bugged me that's all they focused on*.  So was trying to share in response to that.  (*of course, i should know that going into a reality show...)

Sorry anything i say about myself can pretty much seem defensive. what can i say.  At least now i can just watch and discuss/share and leave myself out of the discussion :P  If my comments are unwelcomed.. that's fine.. hate to have intruded.  

FWIW, you are my favorite from a personality standpoint thus far this season after Amanda (who has carryover from Season 11). I also like Fade, Char, Emily and Kristine, but they're all a lot more low-key and thus haven't had as much impact over 3 episodes as you did. Everybody else has started to veer into "annoying".

thx for the kindness.

@KimberStormer I can't share so much about what happens after i'm auf'd or production of it.  But truly tho, they were gracious and considerate.  (not sure about past seasons).  I'm not saying that cuz of any contract or i'm trying to suck up to anyone, I truly felt that.  I'm sure others felt the same too.

@Oholibamah Personality-wise... everyone is in a certain box.  Some are luckier and get to be in the more positive lighting, others less.  (I wish i could filter out my odd nerves some what.. like my habit of playing wiht my hair when i talk.. lol).  I'm very surprised when ppl can pick up on certain things.. like somethings said in the TLO blogs.  Cant agree w all of them.  Like for example, Korina was very quickly to be described as bitchy--I think maybe she appears strong and confident, but I would more so say she's sweeter than she may appear.  i'm not particularly close to her, this is just truly what I think.

Edited by angelasum
  • Love 1

again, no worries about the negative comments.  You are all watching tv, I signed up for this.  If anything, i'm growing thicker skin ;)

So nice to hear from you, Angela, and what a great attitude to have! I appreciated your work and look forward to seeing more from you. 

If you don't mind, I would be interested in learning your thoughts on the judges. Specifically, who do you think provided the most thoughtful feedback on your work? Was Zac as mean as he appears? And how did you feel about Tim pressuring the judges to eliminate you during the deliberation ("this look needs to be euthanized!") A few of us thought that was very inappropriate coming from a mentor. 

@ThatsDarling I heard Zac was tough on other designers at the audition.  All 3 of them had a lot of nice things to say at my audition, other than i needed to pump up the volume at the end for tv (vs. boutique)--which was very valid constructive criticism, not at all hurtful.  So getting to the first round in bottom 3, with the 'slut' slits comments and such really threw me (as you all saw).  At the moment, in the intensity, the little sleep, it was harsh, but in hind sight, its a tv show.  I don't know how many moments I LOL'd to MK's comments.  There's truth to their critiques.. like the last one with the flight attendant comment--i agreed.  So I'd say its exaggerated, funny-harsh criticism.  it's not the way teachers would give constructive criticism I think, but thinking about it a bit, I'm sure the newspapers and fashion blogs could be just as harsh.  Like movie reviews, or restaurant reviews (see 'Chef'--great movie).  They actually said nicer things too that weren't shown to try to encourage me, like we really liked what you showed at the audition, what you are wearing (they knew I made), the environment perhaps wasn't right for me--what i mean is they were trying to encourage me to go forward as a designer despite all the harsh comments, they weren't telling me to quit or something.  I felt they were very intentionally encouraging me forward, they didn't have to do that.

The team challenge when I got called out, which I really didn't expect (I thought we were safe, did well)--like I saw how they did that again to Amanda, so had I seen that I'd probably taken it less hard.

Tim's comment didn't really bother me at all..it didnt even register... so.. it was only after that others pointed it out that i even knew.  I don't know.. doesn't he just say things in a certain way.. like certain words he use?  I didnt think i did that great (the whole cast is quite competent--its the third challenge and most of us had a 2-3 piece outfit.. in the past I feel like designers don't do that till later episodes).  So they can euthanize it ;P

I didn't really get to know him so I can't comment on much.  One of the reasons I wanted to try PR was the desire for that mentor-student relationship; I always loved my FIT professors.  I recalled designers had really special teary moments at the reunion with Tim, but perhaps its cause those designers got a lot further.  I didn't really get to know or talk to him much, but my stay was short.  I appreciated his encouragements at the audition though.

(I think how i got to this forum was actually seeing some threads about Tim on UTG.. cant comment on that tho)

I would be remiss if I didn't say something.  I feel that if you have to stones to say something about someone, you should have the stones to say it to them as well.  I feel like your interaction on this board thus far has been intended to garner sympathy.  That is my personal feeling in reading your posts.  I respect you attempting to mold your own image, although I find it hard to believe that social media is new to you, as you've worked in wall street and describe yourself as a techie.  But, I enjoy having this forum as a place for honest feelings and above average snark.  If someone sullies that by trying to get sympathy so that people are nicer to them, it sort of, IMO hurts the flow of the board, and the honesty of the participants, many of whom are going to curb their responses so as not to hurt your feelings.

Having said all of that, I do hope you continue to post, and to make friends, but I hope, even though you are under no obligation to me, that you come to enlighten us about the process, the rest of the competition, to give us the inside 411 on the other contestants (is Fade as adorably wacky as I think he is?), and other inside commentary, and even to snark with us.  There is no need at this point to really defend yourself, you are off of the show, and it was what it was.  

I think this can be a great place for you to enlighten people, and find true fans of fashion, design and the show, people who are passionate about the same things as you are, and to have a great forum to discuss those things with them, but if thats the point of being here, I'm not sure I understand why there has been a need to defend yourself.  I barely remember the two people let go before you, or what I really felt about them, so whatever your "show personality" was, for a lot of people that will fade before the show ends.  And through different forums, and having your own blog, you have the chance to re-mold your imagine as a PR insider, because a lot of people will forget about whatever "personality" you had on the show.  But IMO, if you keep just defending yourself, then everyone keeps remembering exactly the personality you had on the show because you aren't giving them the chance to forget it.

• Love 3

@RealityGal I don't know what to say about defensive, i'm sharing what i honestly think and know and feel.  I tell you I am new to social media--my instagram has 64 posts, most of which started after PR. I haven't tweeted except since i did a competition in 2012 when it was encouraged. I haven't went on a blog like this before. I'm a techie cuz i code for work, i'm not into gadgets or new stuff. I'm not trying to defend myself telling you this, cause it's not really important.. I'm just responding cause you made a reference to it.  I only blogged actually after friends that do more social media encouraged me to as a way to connect.  I don't deny wanting to share my point of view.. I said at the start.  it started there.. but now it doesnt have to be anymore.  (I also believe in connecting with people, my pastor has always taught me that.  So if i can open more doors to connect, even just a little, its a positive thing to me, even tho i'm naturally an introvert).

There's always two sides to a coin and I'm just trying to share that.  Maybe I am generally a sympathetic person, i like to consider both sides of things, not condemn it one way or not.  I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to gather sympathy.  You make a good point... I do feel like any comments i make, even not about me, someone can always roll their eyes and assume I am not being genuine with my thoughts, and i have some ulterior motives, like I want ppl to change their views on me--tv me or real me.

And I see what you are saying about the forum tho.  That's why I apologized and said I didn't mean to intrude, i meant that and wasn't going to say more til others encouraged.  but again, I understand what you are saying too ...so I won't intrude.  I hope I have not disrespected the forum here, if I did, I didn't mean to, sorry.  (at least now you will start a new one for next episode)

How about this.. if you have questions.. feel free to msg me on my fb page.  some ppl have done that about various fashion/pr stuff, I'll answer you if i can.  i can only share what i can.  (not production details~)

Enjoy the rest of the season ;)

--And yes, Fade is really a cool person... I've never met someone like him before.  He's quiet and thoughtful in a way, but also really funny and dramatic in another.  He's a fun person to be around.  He's such a cool character.

@RealityGal I don't know what to say about defensive, i'm sharing what i honestly think and know and feel.  I tell you I am new to social media--my instagram has 64 posts, most of which started after PR. I haven't tweeted except since i did a competition in 2012 when it was encouraged. I haven't went on a blog like this before. I'm a techie cuz i code for work, i'm not into gadgets or new stuff. I'm not trying to defend myself telling you this, cause it's not really important.. I'm just responding cause you made a reference to it.  I only blogged actually after friends that do more social media encouraged me to as a way to connect.  I don't deny wanting to share my point of view.. I said at the start.  it started there.. but now it doesnt have to be anymore.  (I also believe in connecting with people, my pastor has always taught me that.  So if i can open more doors to connect, even just a little, its a positive thing to me, even tho i'm naturally an introvert).

There's always two sides to a coin and I'm just trying to share that.  Maybe I am generally a sympathetic person, i like to consider both sides of things, not condemn it one way or not.  I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to gather sympathy.  You make a good point... I do feel like any comments i make, even not about me, someone can always roll their eyes and assume I am not being genuine with my thoughts, and i have some ulterior motives, like I want ppl to change their views on me--tv me or real me.

And I see what you are saying about the forum tho.  That's why I apologized and said I didn't mean to intrude, i meant that and wasn't going to say more til others encouraged.  but again, I understand what you are saying too ...so I won't intrude.  I hope I have not disrespected the forum here, if I did, I didn't mean to, sorry.  (at least now you will start a new one for next episode)

How about this.. if you have questions.. feel free to msg me on my fb page.  some ppl have done that about various fashion/pr stuff, I'll answer you if i can.  i can only share what i can.  (not production details~)

Enjoy the rest of the season ;)

--And yes, Fade is really a cool person... I've never met someone like him before.  He's quiet and thoughtful in a way, but also really funny and dramatic in another.  He's a fun person to be around.  He's such a cool character.

So then...to be fair, social media isn't exactly new to you.  Although, I don't think that a person's savvy or knowledge of social media requires their specific participation.  I know about both instagram and snapchat, but participate in neither.  As someone involved in an industry that thrives on, and a career that was a component of social media, I would have thought you would still have knowledge of it.  But you know what you know, and I don't so I'll take your word on that.

However, your post to me, supports I think most of what I've said.  I never once said that you intruded per se.  I said that your posts have been about garnering sympathy, and I said that I hoped you would continue to post and comment, but not doing that, because there was little point in defending yourself, which I believe you said you weren't here to do, but continue to do.  If you don't like the way you were perceived on the show, then the best thing to do is let it go, because, as I've said, I forgot the two people before you and how they were portrayed.  I would forget how you were portrayed too, but you keep bringing it up.

Case in point - you said you watched previous seasons, but were surprised to be called out as bringing your team down, although if you had seen it done to amanda you might have handled it differently, but as others have pointed out, they did the same thing to Patricia, so you should have seen it before if you had watched previous seasons.  Heidi has also called out other designers in previous seasons, in the exactly same way she did to Amanda for being lucky that they had immunity because if they didn't they would be going home.   Amanda was called out for being lucky to have immunity in an individual challenge.  That has happened in previous seasons, someone getting called out for bringing down what could have been a winning team has also happened in previous season.  So if you've watched previous seasons you would have seen this happen.  So just own it, not a "well I handled it poorly + but I didn't see anyone else called out for bringing their team down + but  if I had seen what they did to Amanda beforehand I would have been better able to cope" but just "hey, I didn't handle that well."  However, every admission of you not behaving in a way that makes you happy is almost always followed by an actual or an implied "but...." 

But your response to my post was basically to imply that I was an unsympathetic person because I wasn't seeing things from your perspective.   Or giving your perspective equal consideration.  It was, the same as a vegetarian who tells everyone in a steakhouse  "well I love animals because I won't eat them" which basically implies that I don't love animals because I'm ready to tuck into this filet mignon covered in bleu cheese.  But when your posts are in line with how you were shown on PR, its hard for me to form any other opinion.   To imply that I said you intruded, even though I was clear that I welcomed your continued posting, and while I understood you didn't owe it to me, that you should stop trying to garner sympathy through your posts.  Especially since you said from the start that you weren't here to defend yourself.  And that because apparently i said you intruded you would simply leave the forum altogether thereby making me the bad guy (which, BTW, is totally fine with me, I'm not going to be passive aggressively guilted into changing my point of view)

• Love 3

apologies @RealityGal, I had not meant at all you were unsympathetic and that you were made feel like I intruded.  I felt like I might have intruded on my own.  The sympathetic part was about myself, not you.  Sorry.

@RealityGal @AKraven I see what you mean with the 'buts'.  I didn't realize it comes off as gathering sympathy, I didn't mean to do that. I usually give two sides of the story.  Apologies.  You are right, I didn't handle it well getting called out. I am emotional. I didn't do that well either design-wise.  I wasn't exactly proud of my work.

Again, feel free to ask for my opinion or thoughts via fb page messaging.  Thx for inviting me to share my thoughts here, but I think for me, it'd be best I don't post directly here.

thx, angela

But, I enjoy having this forum as a place for honest feelings and above average snark.  If someone sullies that by trying to get sympathy so that people are nicer to them, it sort of, IMO hurts the flow of the board, and the honesty of the participants, many of whom are going to curb their responses so as not to hurt your feelings.

I think this is frankly overblown.  This is a board on the Internet for talking about a TV show.  Who cares if it's completely honest or not?  Who cares if the "flow" is hurt?  Especially since Angela is out of the game.  By the time she showed up, the conversation about her was basically done.  Imagine the loss to the world if we couldn't all share our honest snarky thoughts on Carmen from Season 4!  What an unbearable burden if we had to consider Emily's feelings for a minute before making fun of her NYC dress in Season 5!

I just don't understand why anyone would make such a big deal of this.  You want to say Angela sucks, nobody's stopping you, nobody's stopping anybody.  Now you've had a chance to say at length that she extra-sucks because she violated the sanctity of our austere monastery of TV snark, and again nobody's stopping you.  I don't think you're the 'bad guy' but I do think you're taking this stuff a bit too seriously, especially because the entire lifetime of the topic is one week.  On Thursday night we will all be talking about some other ridiculous game show contestant and as you said we'll all have completely forgotten Angela even existed.  It could not possibly matter less if our stated opinions on her behavior on TV was not 100% candid and accurate.

image.png

Edited by yeswedo
removed Pembleton reference
  • Love 7

Hey Angela, I hope you reconsider your decision not to post anymore because I have a question for you on the episode that aired today, Aug. 14.  But I am going to ask it in that episode's thread.

I think this is frankly overblown.  This is a board on the Internet for talking about a TV show.  Who cares if it's completely honest or not?  Who cares if the "flow" is hurt?  Especially since Angela is out of the game.  By the time she showed up, the conversation about her was basically done.  Imagine the loss to the world if we couldn't all share our honest snarky thoughts on Carmen from Season 4!  What an unbearable burden if we had to consider Emily's feelings for a minute before making fun of her NYC dress in Season 5!

Not getting all the sweet snark would be a great loss to me because I enjoy it so much.  

• Love 2

I think fans of the show should be free to post their opinions - positive or negative - in this forum (as long as they don't violate the forum rules).  Anyone coming here knows the risks of being disagreed with or having what you post criticized.  By going on a TV reality show, Angela - like every other designer on Project Runway - has voluntarily exposed herself to public criticism.  

That being said, I feel compelled to point out that Angela (if that is indeed her posting messages here) is the only one who is posting here with her real identity revealed.  Everyone else is posting here anonymously.  So I think she deserves credit for that.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

RealityTV rejects read message boards every single day. I don't see any need to distinguish between the ones who introduce themselves and the ones who don't. If anybody is concerned about their comments hurting somebody's feelings, then they're naive to think that these comments only "count" if the person they're saying it about stays out of sight.

TBH, I feel like Angela has been put on the defensive by this question surrounding her intention in posting here. Otherwise she has basically just been fulfilling a Reality TV Mantra as ubiquitous as "I'm not here to make friends": "It was the editing". Which is pretty part-and-parcel with the Reality TV experience.

I've never quite understood the "boards on boards" rule at TWoP until now. What's actually staunching conversation is this inquisition into Angela's intentions in being here and picking apart her explanation for everything.

I hope she doesn't feel turned off the experience, because by this point I would be pretty firmly in the "fuck this shit" camp.

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 4

I agree, & that's why I believe it's her. She's acting exactly the way she was portrayed on the show, all "poor me, why are you being mean to me?" & I'm not buying it. As @Julia already posted, it's doubtful that someone who was in the investment industry (and my opinion is based on the fact that I come from the investment industry) was such a delicate little flower, or was so unable to work on a team. I think she's just another passive/aggressive contestant.

• Love 1

RealityTV rejects read message boards every single day. I don't see any need to distinguish between the ones who introduce themselves and the ones who don't. If anybody is concerned about their comments hurting somebody's feelings, then they're naive to think that these comments only "count" if the person they're saying it about stays out of sight.

TBH, I feel like Angela has been put on the defensive by this question surrounding her intention in posting here. Otherwise she has basically just been fulfilling a Reality TV Mantra as ubiquitous as "I'm not here to make friends": "It was the editing". Which is pretty part-and-parcel with the Reality TV experience.

I've never quite understood the "boards on boards" rule at TWoP until now. What's actually staunching conversation is this inquisition into Angela's intentions in being here and picking apart her explanation for everything.

I hope she doesn't feel turned off the experience, because by this point I would be pretty firmly in the "fuck this shit" camp.

I noticed the defensive attitude I spoke of from her first post. Before I had said a word to her.  She said she wasn't here to defend herself and then immediately started to defend herself.  She seemed perfectly happy to post as long as the responding comments were "I agree Angela, you totally got an unfair edit!" or "Heidi was so mean!"  But when the comments were even a little critical of her intentions (which according to her, wasn't to defend herself, but to make friends) or of what she said, suddenly it was that people don't have sympathy, and she simply shouldn't post anymore.  Even though every person who was even a little critical of her intentions encouraged her to continue posting, but not to continue to defend herself (which she said she didn't want to do).  But she had made her personality the subject of her posts, so I don't think its unreasonable to question her personality or her intentions.  And so,  if what Angela wants is a place where she can simply say what she wants without any potential criticism, then I can agree with her, that this may not be the right place for her.  Mostly because a forum, while not the final frontier of First Amendment values, does seem more designed for a free flow of ideas and thoughts, positive and negative.

Edited by RealityGal

Just to clarify, there is no expectation that people change how they post because a contestant is also posting or may be reading the posts. 

This is not a fan site but it's also not a hater site. We expect all posters to follow the social contract. If you see a post that crosses a line use the report button instead of responding. And remember the ignore feature is always an option.

Let's move on from the discussion about why she posted here. PM me with any questions.

Thanks

• Love 4