Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Door County Cherry

Fast Foodies

"Top Chef" winners Kristen Kish and Jeremy Ford, and "Iron Chef" winner Justin Sutherland compete to re-create and reimagine a celebrity guest's favorite fast food dish.

I love this show.  I want to try all the food, even the original fast food item.  :D  Their cheffy re-interpretations sound incredible.

It's funny though, I've watched all seasons of Top Chef and I didn't remember Jeremy at all. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

It's funny though, I've watched all seasons of Top Chef and I didn't remember Jeremy at all. 

I haven't watched all seasons.  I've watched many seasons but not all.  I don't think I saw the season Kristen won but I recognize her from her other appearances.  Jeremy? Who also won?  Don't remember ever seeing him on the show.

I really want to try that maple mornay sauce that made Bobby Lee cry last week.  What can you say about that?  

I don't want to try the fast food but I would love to try their interpretations of the fast food and then their remixing of the fast foods.  I don't know if I need a "punishment" at the end of each episode; although the terrible pizza combos did make me laugh. 

• Like 1

Jeremy was on the season 13 so maybe that’s why no one remembers him! It was the one that was set in various different places in California. It’s more notable contestants were Kwame Onwuachi who came back for the Colorado season, Isaac Toups, and Karen A (something long I do t remember) who was on the recent All Stars season. 

All the seasons are on Peacock and I would definitely recommend watching Kristen’s Seattle season.

I am really enjoying this show. If you can make me tolerate Bobby Lee for 30 minutes you are doing something right. 

I love Kristen so much, she is both a perfectionist but also low key. I even watched her travel show with the soccer player married to Susan Sarandon’s daughter! So I hope she continues to do tv projects.

I wasn't sure about this, as I almost never eat fast food, so I wouldn't have any connection to the things being made, but I love Kristen (don't remember Jeremy and only vaguely recognize Justin), so figured I'd give it a try.  About one minute in to the first episode, when she goes to head for the kitchen after explaining the concept, and says, "I'm stuck.  And I'm drunk," and someone else says "Great start," I figured I'd like it.

It was rather obnoxious, though - too much bro energy and humor.  It was like a frat house.  There's relaxed and then whatever the hell this was.  But I liked the remix round; they seemed to settle down a bit.  And then the disadvantage came along, and that was just stupid.  Seeing what they all did with hot dog flavors/elements in completely different dishes was interesting.  I would have liked to eat all of them.  And then came the consequence, and we were back to stupid.

I think I'll try the next episode tonight after I've had a few drinks; I may be more open to the gimmicky shit.  And at least the next episode will, presumably, not mostly consist of wiener jokes.

I went ahead and watched a couple more, and even without drinks I liked the next episodes better.  (Even though I'd happily eat those hot dogs in the first episode, but would say no thanks to an egg McMuffin or Domino's pizza.)

The remix round in the egg McMuffin episode made me wish I didn't hate egg yolks so much, because those dishes all looked and sounded so interesting, but I wouldn't be able to eat any of them.  I don't like Bobby Lee, but I loved how excited he was by the food.

Kristen blinding GaTa with science in the Hawaiian pizza episode was funny.  I wasn't familiar with him before this, but he's attractive.  Funny, too.  I can surely understand not wanting to make something that tastes like Domino's, but that's what the copycat round is about, so I was on Justin's side in that one and thus loved the "Are you sure you don't work for Domino's?" reaction.

Like the previous two, the remix round in the pizza episode was great - it is just so interesting what they do with the flavors.  It's that round that makes the show watchable despite the cheesy stuff. 

I'm all caught up now.

I'm the one person in L.A. who doesn't think In-N-Out is anything to get excited about (the burgers are good but not great and I can't even stomach the fries) and I find James Van Der Beek a bit creepy, but I still loved the remix round.  It is truly astounding the things they can make that readily evoke the taste of one thing while being something completely different.  I enjoy watching the celebrity guests' minds being blown in that round, and am envious of them being able to eat the food - I'm mighty impressed just looking at it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm the one person in L.A. who doesn't think In-N-Out is anything to get excited about

Omg, I had In-N-Out for the first time in 2018 after years of hearing about how good it is and it is ridiculously overhyped. I was just like "This is it?" It was inexpensive and the milkshake was really good, but the food was just average. For my money, Portillo's, Whataburger, and Shake Shack are all way better. Hell, the burger place a few blocks from my apartment is way better (Byron's, for those of you in Chicago). 

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Amanda Seales, but she was fun.  That taco thing she likes looked rather unappetizing, though.  Because of the beef; I generally don't care for ground beef other than as a cheeseburger, and that definitely didn't look like something that would be an exception.

Amanda's excitement when Justin was going to have to do a shot of mayonnaise amused me, because I love mayonnaise and how much those who dislike it utterly despise it always makes me laugh for some reason.

The remix round continues to blow my mind; how do you make shrimp and grits relate to a cheesy beef taco pita?  "This is some chef shit" indeed.  I watched on the TruTV website, and the video cut off before Amanda announced who won, but all three dishes looked great.

11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jeremy won. 

My recording stopped at the ‘punishments’ for losing.   Wonder what weird thing that was done.  Not a biggie as I enjoy the copycat and remix the most. 

I am enjoying this show.   I really like Kristen, Justin and Jeremy.  

Tonight was the Andy Richter episode with Filet o'Fish.  It was a lot of fun and kind of raunchy.  I think this was the first time we had the same person win both rounds in an episode. 

The funniest thing about the show, though, wasn't even on the episode.  Afterwards, I went looking to see who the producers of the show were because I thought I saw a name I recognized and I ended up on the show's website. 

Did you guys know that they have started to upload the recipes for the remix rounds?  You know...the rounds where they do the fancy chef shit?  It cracks me up because they have recipes for all the little touches they add to their dishes so there are five or six things you have to make for one dish and most of them include a lot of ingredients or a technique you probably don't do daily in a kitchen. 

https://www.trutv.com/fastfoodiesrecipes

Maybe when I have a whole weekend, I'll try and make Kristen's steamed Chilean sea bass.

• Surprise 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, Irlandesa said:

It was a lot of fun and kind of raunchy.  I

“It’s called pegging and it’s 2020 and it’s a thing!” 

I  think all the food in the second round looks amazing but this show is going to make me go to Austin after I am fully vaccinated and Texas has a decent number of people vaccinated. I feel like I know exactly how Justin and Jeremy’s dishes would taste just by looking at them (and they look amazing) but Kristen’s food and plating just so intrigues me. It is not only gorgeous but I also can’t comprehend how most of it would taste or even feel when eating it and that’s crazy interesting to me. Though if she was there I would make my boyfriend make sure I wasn’t creepily starting at her because even though I am a straight CIS gendered woman I find her to be one of the most startling beautiful humans I have ever seen. 

Also, I just realized that Justin with that beard looks like he is David Cross’s half brother and I don’t think I can ever unsee it. 

• Like 1

Lol...I enjoy this show.  It’s too short but by being short it stops producers from ‘writing the storyline’ they want and the chefs are themselves. 

• Like 2

Ron Funches was another celebrity guest I wasn't familiar with, I've never eaten at Wendy's, and that chicken sandwich he called upon is pretty much everything why I would never order one; it's fine, but nothing to get excited about, so I'm not spending the money/calories I allot to eating out on something so basic.

LOL at the one who made the worst chicken sandwich - the dryness, the flatness - winning the first round, because it was the closest to the fast food version.  I am always in favor of that in the first round; if it's going to be about replicating a mass-produced comfort food, then the closest approximation, not the best dish, needs to win - especially when it requires the chefs to cook in a way they would normally not do.

I hate beans, so I wouldn't eat Kristen's remix dish, but, as always, I am impressed by that round.  Like with Justin winning with something that sounds great, yet also somehow evokes the flavors of the fast food dish when I would just throw up my hands and say it's impossible.  "It seems like you're a crazy person, who doesn't know what you're doing, and then I bite it, and you do!"

I don't know the Super Troopers guys either, and I've only had KFC once - it's fried chicken, so how bad can it be, but I didn't get overly excited by the secret recipe of eleven herbs and spices.  And I wouldn't eat those sides (I hate potatoes, and only like a little bit of corn when on or fresh off the cob, not drowned in all that butter).

Hating potatoes, I wasn't as into the remix round as I usually am, but I still appreciated the technical skill.  I'd have tried Justin's and eaten Jeremy's but just skipped the gnocchi.  Kristen's I'd have nibbled at, but I'm glad she won.  Again.  She's fantastic.

I didn't like this week's episode as much as the other episodes. Had no interest in the "model/actress" famous for being naked in a Carl's Junior commercial and making a copycat of a menu item that doesn't exist anymore seemed kind of pointless (plus, I don't like non-veggie burgers so this was really not aimed at me). I still enjoy all three chefs and that they are all in it just to have fun and impress each other, though.

The show has been renewed for season 2/more episodes ordered, I have seen both things stated. So either it will be season 1b or season 2 but there will be more new episodes!

• Like 5

On 5/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, biakbiak said:

The show has been renewed for season 2/more episodes ordered, I have seen both things stated. So either it will be season 1b or season 2 but there will be more new episodes!

I was checking out Kristen's instagram last night (since she was on Top Chef as a judge and because she is just wonderful in general) and she said it was renewed for season 2. I was so happy-I told many friends to watch it and they did not. Just the other day I told one I blamed her if it did not get renewed. I'll let her know the friendship is safe.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

43 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

I was checking out Kristen's instagram last night (since she was on Top Chef as a judge and because she is just wonderful in general) and she said it was renewed for season 2.

That's how Justin was advertising it on his Insta as well.