Type keyword(s) to search

Fast Foodies - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

It's funny though, I've watched all seasons of Top Chef and I didn't remember Jeremy at all. 

I haven't watched all seasons.  I've watched many seasons but not all.  I don't think I saw the season Kristen won but I recognize her from her other appearances.  Jeremy? Who also won?  Don't remember ever seeing him on the show.

I really want to try that maple mornay sauce that made Bobby Lee cry last week.  What can you say about that?  

I don't want to try the fast food but I would love to try their interpretations of the fast food and then their remixing of the fast foods.  I don't know if I need a "punishment" at the end of each episode; although the terrible pizza combos did make me laugh. 

• Love 1

Jeremy was on the season 13 so maybe that’s why no one remembers him! It was the one that was set in various different places in California. It’s more notable contestants were Kwame Onwuachi who came back for the Colorado season, Isaac Toups, and Karen A (something long I do t remember) who was on the recent All Stars season. 

All the seasons are on Peacock and I would definitely recommend watching Kristen’s Seattle season.

I am really enjoying this show. If you can make me tolerate Bobby Lee for 30 minutes you are doing something right. 

I love Kristen so much, she is both a perfectionist but also low key. I even watched her travel show with the soccer player married to Susan Sarandon’s daughter! So I hope she continues to do tv projects.

I wasn't sure about this, as I almost never eat fast food, so I wouldn't have any connection to the things being made, but I love Kristen (don't remember Jeremy and only vaguely recognize Justin), so figured I'd give it a try.  About one minute in to the first episode, when she goes to head for the kitchen after explaining the concept, and says, "I'm stuck.  And I'm drunk," and someone else says "Great start," I figured I'd like it.

It was rather obnoxious, though - too much bro energy and humor.  It was like a frat house.  There's relaxed and then whatever the hell this was.  But I liked the remix round; they seemed to settle down a bit.  And then the disadvantage came along, and that was just stupid.  Seeing what they all did with hot dog flavors/elements in completely different dishes was interesting.  I would have liked to eat all of them.  And then came the consequence, and we were back to stupid.

I think I'll try the next episode tonight after I've had a few drinks; I may be more open to the gimmicky shit.  And at least the next episode will, presumably, not mostly consist of wiener jokes.

I went ahead and watched a couple more, and even without drinks I liked the next episodes better.  (Even though I'd happily eat those hot dogs in the first episode, but would say no thanks to an egg McMuffin or Domino's pizza.)

The remix round in the egg McMuffin episode made me wish I didn't hate egg yolks so much, because those dishes all looked and sounded so interesting, but I wouldn't be able to eat any of them.  I don't like Bobby Lee, but I loved how excited he was by the food.

Kristen blinding GaTa with science in the Hawaiian pizza episode was funny.  I wasn't familiar with him before this, but he's attractive.  Funny, too.  I can surely understand not wanting to make something that tastes like Domino's, but that's what the copycat round is about, so I was on Justin's side in that one and thus loved the "Are you sure you don't work for Domino's?" reaction.

Like the previous two, the remix round in the pizza episode was great - it is just so interesting what they do with the flavors.  It's that round that makes the show watchable despite the cheesy stuff. 

(edited)

I'm all caught up now.

I'm the one person in L.A. who doesn't think In-N-Out is anything to get excited about (the burgers are good but not great and I can't even stomach the fries) and I find James Van Der Beek a bit creepy, but I still loved the remix round.  It is truly astounding the things they can make that readily evoke the taste of one thing while being something completely different.  I enjoy watching the celebrity guests' minds being blown in that round, and am envious of them being able to eat the food - I'm mighty impressed just looking at it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm the one person in L.A. who doesn't think In-N-Out is anything to get excited about

Omg, I had In-N-Out for the first time in 2018 after years of hearing about how good it is and it is ridiculously overhyped. I was just like "This is it?" It was inexpensive and the milkshake was really good, but the food was just average. For my money, Portillo's, Whataburger, and Shake Shack are all way better. Hell, the burger place a few blocks from my apartment is way better (Byron's, for those of you in Chicago). 

• Love 1

I'm not familiar with Amanda Seales, but she was fun.  That taco thing she likes looked rather unappetizing, though.  Because of the beef; I generally don't care for ground beef other than as a cheeseburger, and that definitely didn't look like something that would be an exception.

Amanda's excitement when Justin was going to have to do a shot of mayonnaise amused me, because I love mayonnaise and how much those who dislike it utterly despise it always makes me laugh for some reason.

The remix round continues to blow my mind; how do you make shrimp and grits relate to a cheesy beef taco pita?  "This is some chef shit" indeed.  I watched on the TruTV website, and the video cut off before Amanda announced who won, but all three dishes looked great.

11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jeremy won. 

My recording stopped at the ‘punishments’ for losing.   Wonder what weird thing that was done.  Not a biggie as I enjoy the copycat and remix the most. 

I am enjoying this show.   I really like Kristen, Justin and Jeremy.  

Tonight was the Andy Richter episode with Filet o'Fish.  It was a lot of fun and kind of raunchy.  I think this was the first time we had the same person win both rounds in an episode. 

The funniest thing about the show, though, wasn't even on the episode.  Afterwards, I went looking to see who the producers of the show were because I thought I saw a name I recognized and I ended up on the show's website. 

Did you guys know that they have started to upload the recipes for the remix rounds?  You know...the rounds where they do the fancy chef shit?  It cracks me up because they have recipes for all the little touches they add to their dishes so there are five or six things you have to make for one dish and most of them include a lot of ingredients or a technique you probably don't do daily in a kitchen. 

https://www.trutv.com/fastfoodiesrecipes

Maybe when I have a whole weekend, I'll try and make Kristen's steamed Chilean sea bass.

On 3/21/2021 at 8:21 PM, Irlandesa said:

It was a lot of fun and kind of raunchy.  I

“It’s called pegging and it’s 2020 and it’s a thing!” 

I  think all the food in the second round looks amazing but this show is going to make me go to Austin after I am fully vaccinated and Texas has a decent number of people vaccinated. I feel like I know exactly how Justin and Jeremy’s dishes would taste just by looking at them (and they look amazing) but Kristen’s food and plating just so intrigues me. It is not only gorgeous but I also can’t comprehend how most of it would taste or even feel when eating it and that’s crazy interesting to me. Though if she was there I would make my boyfriend make sure I wasn’t creepily starting at her because even though I am a straight CIS gendered woman I find her to be one of the most startling beautiful humans I have ever seen. 

Also, I just realized that Justin with that beard looks like he is David Cross’s half brother and I don’t think I can ever unsee it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Ron Funches was another celebrity guest I wasn't familiar with, I've never eaten at Wendy's, and that chicken sandwich he called upon is pretty much everything why I would never order one; it's fine, but nothing to get excited about, so I'm not spending the money/calories I allot to eating out on something so basic.

LOL at the one who made the worst chicken sandwich - the dryness, the flatness - winning the first round, because it was the closest to the fast food version.  I am always in favor of that in the first round; if it's going to be about replicating a mass-produced comfort food, then the closest approximation, not the best dish, needs to win - especially when it requires the chefs to cook in a way they would normally not do.

I hate beans, so I wouldn't eat Kristen's remix dish, but, as always, I am impressed by that round.  Like with Justin winning with something that sounds great, yet also somehow evokes the flavors of the fast food dish when I would just throw up my hands and say it's impossible.  "It seems like you're a crazy person, who doesn't know what you're doing, and then I bite it, and you do!"

I don't know the Super Troopers guys either, and I've only had KFC once - it's fried chicken, so how bad can it be, but I didn't get overly excited by the secret recipe of eleven herbs and spices.  And I wouldn't eat those sides (I hate potatoes, and only like a little bit of corn when on or fresh off the cob, not drowned in all that butter).

Hating potatoes, I wasn't as into the remix round as I usually am, but I still appreciated the technical skill.  I'd have tried Justin's and eaten Jeremy's but just skipped the gnocchi.  Kristen's I'd have nibbled at, but I'm glad she won.  Again.  She's fantastic.

I didn't like this week's episode as much as the other episodes. Had no interest in the "model/actress" famous for being naked in a Carl's Junior commercial and making a copycat of a menu item that doesn't exist anymore seemed kind of pointless (plus, I don't like non-veggie burgers so this was really not aimed at me). I still enjoy all three chefs and that they are all in it just to have fun and impress each other, though.

The show has been renewed for season 2/more episodes ordered, I have seen both things stated. So either it will be season 1b or season 2 but there will be more new episodes!

• Love 5
On 5/19/2021 at 8:37 PM, biakbiak said:

The show has been renewed for season 2/more episodes ordered, I have seen both things stated. So either it will be season 1b or season 2 but there will be more new episodes!

I was checking out Kristen's instagram last night (since she was on Top Chef as a judge and because she is just wonderful in general) and she said it was renewed for season 2. I was so happy-I told many friends to watch it and they did not. Just the other day I told one I blamed her if it did not get renewed. I'll let her know the friendship is safe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, jmcd44 said:

I was checking out Kristen's instagram last night (since she was on Top Chef as a judge and because she is just wonderful in general) and she said it was renewed for season 2.

That's how Justin was advertising it on his Insta as well.

I forgot I still had episodes of this to watch.

I wasn't familiar with Charlotte McKinney, but she strikes me from this as one of those people who thinks being dumb is cute.  The Super Star cheeseburger at Carl's Jr. is the one fast food burger I eat (once every year or two), so when I saw she'd done one of those awful Carl's Jr. commercials, I was hoping that's the burger they'd be making. 

The copycat burgers all looked boring to me.  All the remix dishes looked great, but Kristen's is the only one I could imagine evoking the flavors of the original.  

The McDonald's filet o' fish sandwich in the Andy Richter episode looked awful!  I'm not one of those people who thinks fish and cheese should never meet, but the American cheese on that sandwich was terribly unappetizing to me.

Jeremy putting M's on his burger boxes made me laugh.  Justin's watery tartar sauce made me cringe.  But then he absolutely cracked me up with "It's called pegging, and it's 2020, and it's a thing."

As usual, the remix dishes looked delicious, but since Kristen's also most evoked the original dish I was rooting for her to win.  I'm glad she did, and I like how much she loves intelligence.

I just recently discovered Fortune Feimster via her comedy special on Netflix, and she's hilarious.  The Panda Express orange chicken was one of the few things from this season that I've eaten, but it was quite a long time ago, so I don't remember how it tasted other than quite sweet.

I liked Justin saying of course Jeremy won the copycat round; he took so long, he's the only one with hot food.

Fortune's caution trying the sweetbread in Jeremy's remix dish amused me.  Kristen once again made the dish I most wanted to eat, so I was glad she won. 

The show's website just says "Season 2 coming soon" so I hope it is indeed soon; this show is fun.

27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The show's website just says "Season 2 coming soon" so I hope it is indeed soon; this show is fun.

According to Justin's Instagram, they wrapped season 2 in July so hopefully it will come soon. 

• Useful 2

Twice recently when going around the dial, I came across this show, so I suspected it's close to returning.  I just checked the website, and yep - season two starts January 27.

Once again, I'm not familiar with most of the celebrities, but since I watch for the remix round, to see the incredible things they come up with, it doesn't matter:

Chris Jericho
Nikki Glaser
Reggie Watts
Bobby Moynihan
Jesse Tyler Ferguson
Natasha Leggero
Baron Davis

There's a very short teaser here.

• Love 3

I've never had McDonald's chicken nuggets.  I've never had anything from McDonald's other than the fries and one burger (I don't remember which one) I ordered in high school and threw in the trash because it was that bad.  (And I love burgers; the only other one I've ever declared inedible was hospital food.)  I do not understand that place's popularity at all. 

This was a weird first round - the whole deal is trying to exactly replicate the fast food dish, but here they're challenged to make it totally differently yet taste the same; it's like a hybrid of the first and second rounds.  LOL at Kristen nailing the fries by using frozen and adding sugar.  

Also LOL at her saying she tried to go vegan once, ate nothing but potato chips, and quit.  And at everyone's reaction to the vegannaise.  "That's literally worse than semen."

I'm not into vegan food, because I don't like food masquerading as something else and dislike many of the plant-based proteins (e.g. I hate every single bean I have ever encountered), but the food in the second round looked interesting as always.  That round seemed to go by more quickly than last season, with less explanation of what they made, but that may just be a misperception.

I'm glad this show's back.  Since they like having comedians on, I'd love to see Kathleen Madigan in an episode; she's one of the funniest people on the planet, and has the palate of a toddler (well, of a toddler who loves beer and booze), so she has several favorite fast foods.

• Love 1

I was surprised this morning when I saw it on my DVR. In one of my saner moments I must have remembered to tape the series. 

I have to watch it again tonight.  Have to admit first viewing is for the 3 of them smiling and laughing. 

@Bastet, you're not wrong in the lopsided feel. I think they had to spend more time in the first round this time since they showed each chef's chosen preparation of the vegan nuggets. They've never had to do as much "re-imagining" in the copycat round before. 

The vagannaise was hilarious. They all looked like they were going to puke. 😂

• Love 1

I forgot about this the past two weeks, so got caught up online tonight.

First up: Chris Jericho.  I'm not familiar with him, as I have no interest in wrestling, and I've never eaten at Cracker Barrel, but I do love pancakes and sausage (I haven't made them in eons, but that's what I ordered pretty much every time we went out to breakfast when I was a kid - and if the pancakes came with only two links/patties of sausage, I ordered a side of sausage).  LOL at "underseasoned" being CB's flavor profile; the food sure did sound bland.

America's Test Kitchen did an If you must used a boxed pancake mix, use this one taste test and I think Hungry Jack was the winner, so I wonder which mix Kristen and Justin used.

Kristen messing up cracking eggs was fun to see, since it's kind of hard to imagine her messing up anything.  Then again, Jeremy is a great chef and he served raw pancakes.  Yikes.

The disadvantage segments are so unbearably stupid I try to ignore them, but the discrepancy between Justin and Jeremy's mouth openings kept distracting me.

Kristen's pasta in the remix round looked so interesting; I wouldn't have liked the dish as a whole - which is true of all of them, as I hate egg yolk - but the pasta itself looked terrific.

Natasha Leggero I know of, and I'm hit and miss with her comedy.  I didn't find her funny here (but not un-funny, either, just sort of there) and I could do without all of them whooping it up about how you kill lobster.  I'm an omnivore, but I have rules about the care, feeding, and slaughter of the animals I eat; whatever anyone's guidelines, it should never be a laughing matter that a life was sacrificed to become your dinner. 

This was another one where I don't know, and in fact wouldn't like, the inspiration dish - I've never had Chipotle, and I don't eat burritos because I hate beans and don't much care for rice.  And I definitely wouldn't want one with tofu as the protein.  But it's nice to hear the restaurant uses fresh ingredients and makes things in on site.

Were there no disadvantage shenanigans in this one, or did I just successfully block it out?  I do remember the consequence at the end, and wasting all that food bothered me.

It's funny two of them went for crab risotto in the remix round.  I don't love or really even like risotto (too starchy!), but both dishes looked quite interesting, especially Justin's with the uni butter and chile oil.  And Kristen's dessert take was crazy innovative!  "Willy Wonka ain't got shit on you" was fantastic.  No surprise she won.

I keep forgetting this is on, so just got caught up again.

The Schlotzky's sandwich seemed liked it would be quite salty, and I don't think I'd like the bread (it sounded sweet, and I am in the bread is not cake camp).  That was a weird copycat round where someone used a pre-made element from the restaurant in question; gee, what a surprise Jeremy won, using the weird-ass bread that apparently makes this sandwich distinctive.

As usual, the remix round food was impressive.  I love seeing the celebrities' reactions, like Jesse Tyler Ferguson saying "I didn't know this was possible".  Because I'm still blown away by how they make such different ingredients and presentations evoke the original.  I wish they spent more time on that round.

I've never had anything from Shake Shack, but those fries looked terrible - so pale!  I also find the combination of a breaded piece of chicken plus a bun unappealing.  So, as usual, I was very much in it for the remix round.

And, as usual, they nailed it.  I wanted Kristen's spring roll most, but they all looked good.

I didn't think I knew Jillian Bell until she mentioned Brittany Runs a Marathon, and then I thought, "Duh, how did I not recognize her?"  I enjoyed that film.

• Love 1

Kristin is really killing it this season.  I think Justin's win in the Remix round was maybe the only one she hadn't won this season.  Maybe Jeremy won one early on too. 

Justin did a thing in Atlanta last night as a second half hour of Fast Foodies even though it didn't have anything to do with the show.  I enjoyed it.

• Love 1

I didn't think I was familiar with Reggie Watts, but after a minute I realized he's the guy who did Fuck Shit Stack (very much NSFW, and warning for the use of n***a) back in the day, because a then co-worker and I used to recite the section on the objectification of women in music videos ("I like women / I like the concept of a woman / I like to take that concept and reduce it to an object / I like to take those objects and put them in my videos and have them shake their jiggly bits so they look like hos") practically daily -- as well as randomly asking "Where my gerunds at?". 

He made me laugh when he put his glove and imitated the Hamburger Helper hand.

I had a Whopper once in college, and it was fine, but I don't remember anything distinctive about it.  I have not had their onion rings, but I cracked up at Kristen's description:  "Oddly terrible, but so good at the same time.  Is there an onion in it?"  LOL again when she had the best copycat of them because they were bland AF.

Justin had the remix round dish I most wanted to try, so I'm glad he won (I'd love to be able to taste the others as well, I was just particularly interested in his). 

• Love 1

I don't know Bobby Moynihan, and I've never had anything from Wendy's, but that burger is a cardiac event waiting to happen.  I don't think it would taste bad, certainly - bacon and cheese! - but I can't imagine it would taste good enough to be remotely worth it.  It seemed like bacon overkill.

I'm Team Kristen and Justin in the Mushroom War - I think maitakes are much more flavorful than portobellos and Jeremy was talking out of his ass on that one. 

I was eating dinner while watching, and it was quite good - chuleta valluna - yet I still found myself wishing I was eating the remix dishes.

Edited by Bastet

I've never in my life wanted to try scallops but I did when I saw Justin's remix dish.  I did laugh, though, when I saw him puree the peas.  I am pretty sure he had 2 sticks of butter in the puree.  Aah, the secret as to why restaurant food tastes so darn good.

I like bacon but there was too much bacon on that burger.

*waves to Bastet -- nice to see you here!*

I didn't realize there was a board for this, so I never read it before.  Got myself caught up and noticed that someone else said they didn't remember Jeremy from Top Chef.  Glad I'm not the only one.  I've watched every season of TP and for the life of me, I just don't remember him.

This show is fun filler -- it's not too taxing, it runs past my eyes when I'm tired without requiring much from me, and sometimes it's funny.  I mostly don't know their guests but I don't care.  I've never eaten most of the fast foods they're replicating but I know what a burger/taco/chicken sandwich tastes like, so it's all good.  What I'd like to know is how much time they get to do their Remix Round -- on other competition shows, there's a set amount of time, but they seem to be coming up with things that must take hours.  Any ideas? 

• Love 1

This time I've at least heard of the celebrity, but the fast food dish looked awful -- even without the tarantula.  I've had those nachos with just the chips and that "cheese" sauce, though, not gonna lie -- a couple of times way back in the day when our drunken "run for the border" was inexplicably to Taco Bell instead of a great local late-night taco place, I remember the chicken soft taco (not bad when drunk) and the basic nachos (awful yet strangely edible [again, with the being drunk]).

Damn, I wanted to taste the remix round as usual.  I often most want Kristen's dish, and I'd have loved to eat this one, but tonight I was most drawn to Jeremy's, so even without tasting I'm not surprised he won.

• Love 1

I had no clue who the Lucas brothers were, until their movie was mentioned, and then duh (I still haven't seen it, but I certainly know about it).  I'm pretty sure I've tasted the shitshow that is sweet-sauced Domino's pizza, so I loved The Shining twins presenting it as something creepy -- funny.

As usual, I wanted to eat the hell out of the remix round, and, as is common, I most wanted Kristen's dish.  Her hatred of lamb amused me, because I love it (it's the gamiest met I like) but if I'm cooking for a group, I always have to ask if anyone hates it, because so many do, and I can't keep track.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The way Kristen nibbled at the corner of her lamb cracked me up. I'm glad Justin won; he never wins. 

I just added up wins.  Kristin has the most with 7 (4 copycat/3 remix), Justin is next with 6 wins (2 copycat/4 remix) and Jeremy is third with 5 (3 copycat/2 remix).

That's just for this season.  They're pretty evenly matched.

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I just added up wins.  Kristin has the most with 7 (4 copycat/3 remix), Justin is next with 6 wins (2 copycat/4 remix) and Jeremy is third with 5 (3 copycat/2 remix).

That's just for this season.  They're pretty evenly matched.

This can't be right. There's only 10 episodes per season, and I think Dominos was #9. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 🙂

Edited by emmawoodhouse
(edited)
22 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

This can't be right. There's only 10 episodes per season, and I think Dominos was #9. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 🙂

This is for the second season only. I couldn't find info about the first.  It includes the copycat and remix rounds which makes it 2 "winners" per episode for 9 episodes=18.   Still, if we only include the remix round, Justin has the most wins there with 4.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I'd never previously seen tonight's celebrities, nor have I had either McCrap sandwich they combined (I know I shouldn't judge the entirety of McDonald's on the one burger [I don't know which one, maybe the Big Mac] I had 30 years ago, but that burger was so fucking bad, I can't stop myself; I love burgers so much [the only way I'll eat ground beef], literally the only other one in my whole life I've found inedible was one served by a hospital).  So, as is typical, I wasn't much into the copycat round.

But, holy cow, the remix round in this one -- I wasn't as wowed overall as I often am, but Jeremy's dish looked utterly fantastic.

• Love 1

Horatio Sanz + the White Castle burger = another episode where I'm totally unfamiliar with everyone and everything (other than the three chefs) in the first round.  The burger looked not at all like something I'd like to eat, for how much bun there was versus meat, cheese, and other goodies.  So I liked Kristen's "Where is the burger?" like the new version of "Where's the beef?"  And, I'd certainly try the finished product if handed to me, because why not, but a steamed burger?  That whole thing was a big ball of WTF? for me, especially because I was appalled by how much unmelted cheese was shown.

Kristen and Justin revealing the weirdness behind perfectly symmetrical frozen onion rings was interesting.  A little disturbing, but interesting.

"I think I've done 16 sliders and an order of onion rings. ... Oh yeah, marijuana is a hell of a drug" made me laugh, at least.

The remix round was great as always.  Jeremy's dish was number three in my ranking of what I most wanted to try, so I was a little surprised to see him win, but all three looked great.

Horatio Sanz was on SNL. It was a little awkward to see him because there have been rumors that he assaulted some underage SNL fans back in the day.

I'm excited about next week because it looks like they shake up the formula a bit.  After Sanz brought out the burger, I wondered if they'd eventually have to do that.  There are only so many fast food types they can have these chefs make. I don't know how many burgers we've seen already.

With them calling this the "grand finale", the blinged out trophy, going all Bizarro World with the format, and all three winning, was this return of Joel McHale episode the final episode of the series, not just the season?

On one hand, I enjoyed this switcheroo format more, since the first round included more food I'd actually want to eat, but I rather like the traditional copycat round, where these fantastic chefs have to go against every culinary instinct they have in order to make something that best replicates the fast food dish.

"I've never wrapped a hot dog in pre-cooked spaghetti, nor should anybody."  Ha!  That did not remotely appeal, but was probably good based on reactions.

I got a good laugh out of Kristen saying this is a "mind mess-up" and explaining her mom says she needs to stop saying the F-word -- cut to a montage of bleeped "fuck"s.

Kristen's remix round dish was the mind-blowing thing that makes me love this show for how brilliant and innovative these chefs are, so I'm sad if it's done, but Justin thanked Joel for "wrapping up season two" and Jeremy made a similar reference after the pasta cannon, so hopefully that means there may be more.

• Love 1
On 4/30/2022 at 10:17 PM, Bastet said:

Kristen's remix round dish was the mind-blowing thing that makes me love this show for how brilliant and innovative these chefs are, so I'm sad if it's done, but Justin thanked Joel for "wrapping up season two" and Jeremy made a similar reference after the pasta cannon, so hopefully that means there may be more.

Season 3 renewal hasn't been announced yet, based on what I'm seeing online.  We'll see.

Justin was in a massive boating accident over the holiday weekend and is now in the hospital. While it looks like he'll make a full recovery, he doesn't have health insurance, and his family has started a GoFundMe:

Justin Sutherland GoFundMe

From the site:

On Sunday, July 3rd, like many Minnesotans, Justin was enjoying a day off, boating on the water with friends. Of course, he was the "Captain" and of course, he had to wear an official captain's hat.

While piloting his boat, Justin’s hat blew off. He tried to grab it, hit a wave, and was knocked off the boat. He fell into the water near the motor, and the propeller did a number on his head and left arm. His arm is broken, but his grip remains strong and there appears to be no nerve damage. His jaw is severely broken, but doctors are optimistic that with several more surgeries he will be grinning in no time. In addition to his broken bones, he sustained many lacerations, but with plastic surgery, they will become a reminder of his survival story.

The great news is, he is going to be fine. With some time, he will possibly be better than fine. He is adding more character to the face we know and love, and the most important news, his beard is intact.

Justin is currently in the hospital and set to be there for some time, having had many surgeries so far and facing many more to come. 

• Sad 2