Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: The Ride

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

Do we all assume that the white car is Kate and her kids?   
Isn’t the scene in the flash-forward when the big three go into dying Rebecca’s room copying the scene when preteen big three enter the hospital room from years earlier? Remember Rebecca reached for some fruit that rolled out of a grocery bag and got into a car accident? 
The one when preteen Kevin flirted with the nurse?

Anyway, first Randall entered, then Kevin and finally Kate. 
The only mysteries are:  are Kate and Toby still together? Where is Madison? How did Kevin get the Oscars? Did Rebecca know about the Oscar (was she lucid)? What’s the deal with Nicky and his ring? Okay, lots of mysteries!

I was surprised they went with alzheimers when it was done so much before. I wondered if that changed. Mandy said she couldn't say what it was but it wasn't that early on. I don't think she would have bothered to say anything to all the guesses. I work with doctor's and there were a lot of neuro things from that accident it could have been, things that weren't in the news as often or in so many shows and movies. I would have fit with the accident and MRI but they decided to use something that is on so many shows and media. Still depressing and awful but doesn't show anything new.

I don't wonder about Kate, she's part of the big 3, but I hope Nicky has a marriage with old flame before the seasons end and the fact Kevin had to ask his kids how "their mother was" says he doesn't live with her to me. I also think (being Italian) he did not get enough food in that bag for all those people ; )

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, debraran said:

I was surprised they went with alzheimers when it was done so much before. I wondered if that changed. Mandy said she couldn't say what it was but it wasn't that early on. I don't think she would have bothered to say anything to all the guesses. I work with doctor's and there were a lot of neuro things from that accident it could have been, things that weren't in the news as often or in so many shows and movies. I would have fit with the accident and MRI but they decided to use something that is on so many shows and media. Still depressing and awful but doesn't show anything new.

I don't wonder about Kate, she's part of the big 3, but I hope Nicky has a marriage with old flame before the seasons end and the fact Kevin had to ask his kids how "their mother was" says he doesn't live with her to me. I also think (being Italian) he did not get enough food in that bag for all those people ; )

My mom (Chinese) and my MIL (Eastern European Jewish) would agree.  But hey, maybe food in 2031 would be like what you saw in Back to the Future 2 - you nuke it and it increases in size.  LOL.

Rebecca could STILL have other dementia-related issues.  Remember her hands shaking back in the last century?  Could she have Parkinson's that was mostly not affecting her health until later in life?  I'm just thinking back to my late grandmother, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's Related Dementia in her 80s.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

My mom (Chinese) and my MIL (Eastern European Jewish) would agree.  But hey, maybe food in 2031 would be like what you saw in Back to the Future 2 - you nuke it and it increases in size.  LOL.

Rebecca could STILL have other dementia-related issues.  Remember her hands shaking back in the last century?  Could she have Parkinson's that was mostly not affecting her health until later in life?  I'm just thinking back to my late grandmother, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's Related Dementia in her 80s.  

Maybe that's it.  Rebecca looks like more is going on than just dementia or Alzheimer's to me, like neuro is going on too.  I was thinking stroke or MS, but muscular dystrophy usually presents itself earlier in life.

• Useful 2
On 2/23/2021 at 11:25 PM, SadieT said:

don’t get Randall’s family tree story that was seemingly supposed to come full circle with Deja being pregnant.

I thought that related back to what he said earlier in the episode about wanting to have a third child. Deja is that third child...by adoption.

I didn't interpret it as being about Jack, Rebecca, Kate, or Kevin.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:58 PM, Boo Boo said:

His adult children seem to have their adult lives hampered by his memory and living up to his legendary parenting.  The episode before last, Kevin was racing to get back to be with Madison because by golly, Jack was always there!  

I wouldn't say "hampered," but I've always thought this show was about the long shadow of parenthood and its effect on children. For Jack and Nicky, we've seen the effect that their father had on them.  For the Big Three, we've seen the effect of Jack's death. For Beth, we've seen how much she adored her father and her much tenser relationship with her mother, We've also seen the story of Randall's birth parents, the aspirations they had when Laurel was pregnant, and the reality of what actually happened.  Now we're moving into the story of the Big Three as parents and everything where that will lead.

I don't know anything, but it won't surprise me if the series ends with Rebecca's death. She's the parent of the Big Three.  This episode was all about parenthood.

And, unrelated to anything, but I'm also Team Madison/Kevin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Randall was even annoying way back when kid #2 was born. Shocking. Not! Jeez! Beth is out of the hospital about an hour and he’s talking about a #3 and it being a boy. I would have dumped the Blizzard over his head. Flash forward I’m confused about the mystery driver & why it’s a big deal but the show always sucks me in. It was nice to see the girls all grown up but I was hoping that Deja would have left town years earlier so I wouldn’t have to see her again. Tess & Annie can stay though. It’s nice see Kevin happy & Madison understanding how he works. She seems happy. Which means nothing good can come from this. LOL!!!

• Love 8

Whoever is in charge of casting for this show needs an Emmy. The casting of Randall's three adult daughters is perfection. I could absolutely pick out who each of them were when I first saw them on screen, they look so similar to the actressses playing them now. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, himela said:

It seems that everyone knows this but I'm not sure so I have got to ask: Who is sick in the future and they gather at the house to see them? Rebecca or Beth?

The flashforward to 2030 has the Pearsons gathering around Rebecca's deathbed.  So far we have seen Randall and his family, Toby by himself, Kevin and his twins, and Uncle Nicky.  Jack is on his way with an indeterminate amount of people.  Who is driving the car with Jack has yet to be seen, but at this point he is 12 and Hailey is 10, so it's definitely an adult or two.  

We are still waiting to see Kate, Kevin's wife and Nicky's wife. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

Am I the only one who just can't get into this season? Last week's episode was just another example of an hour of nothingness. My wife and I have been completely into the show until this season, but it just feels like something is missing.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, JayDub1987 said:

Am I the only one who just can't get into this season? Last week's episode was just another example of an hour of nothingness. My wife and I have been completely into the show until this season, but it just feels like something is missing.

I think Covid really threw the creators for a loop, and they have had difficulty course correcting.  It appears that this season was always going to be a set up season.  The writers need each of the characters to get to a certain point to wrap up the show next season, but they lost all of their finesse.  XYZ all need to happen this season, and the writers are going to be sure they all happen even if the finished product is lacking.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think Covid really threw the creators for a loop, and they have had difficulty course correcting.  It appears that this season was always going to be a set up season.  The writers need each of the characters to get to a certain point to wrap up the show next season, but they lost all of their finesse.  XYZ all need to happen this season, and the writers are going to be sure they all happen even if the finished product is lacking.  

That may very well be true. I know we're having to get a setup for everything that has to happen next season, but this one has just been so bland. I mean, we literally spent an hour last week watching people drive home from the hospital. The most exciting thing that happened was Jack wanting to fight a guy at the gas station who never got out of his car. 

I'm also so incredibly sick of Randall's self-indulgence. I used to really like him, but he seems like a total ass this season.

• Love 8
On 2/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, tennisgurl said:

Randall's obsession with his biological family, including him apparently never being able to understand himself and find peace until he learns about his bio family, is starting to send a sort of uncomfortable message about adoption at times. 

This just made me wonder: what if Kate and Toby had been chosen by a black birth mother? Would Randall have discouraged the adoption and been upset if they went through with it? Maybe he'd have been the uncle who could help the baby understand who they are as they grow up? That's probably not something the show wanted to deal with.

• Love 5
On 2/25/2021 at 2:39 PM, PRgal said:

What is with the Big 3 (or at least the guys) seeing ghosts of their parents?  We've had Randall seeing his birth mom and this past episode, Kevin saw Jack.  I suppose it won't be long before Kate sees someone.  Unless the urn counts.  

At least Kevin's was a dream. Randall's experience was... a hallucination... I guess? He was awake right? I still don't get what it was. Kate saw Jack during her ivf, but again, anesthesia. Yeah, it's weird they're all seeing ghosts.

• Love 3
On 2/28/2021 at 1:56 AM, Leeds said:

There's nothing complimentary in American health care.

Yep. All those diapers and baby shampoos Jack and Rebecca took home were charged to them too. They and the nurse acted like it was free treasure, ha! Nope, plus it's marked up too.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, nixgirl28 said:

Yep. All those diapers and baby shampoos Jack and Rebecca took home were charged to them too. They and the nurse acted like it was free treasure, ha! Nope, plus it's marked up too.

Not necessarily.  Hospitals will get free samples of various products to give to new mothers.  The products are not full sized, but samples do happen.  The hospital in my town got a huge shipment of little boxes of Dreft to give out to patients.  They received so much that they had to put cases into storage.  Then that storage facility was cleaned out, and all those little boxes of Dreft ended up in the dumpster.  But not for long, because my dad's company also used that particular storage facility and he was a dumpster diver.  He and his buddy loaded up and my mom had enough laundry detergent for my family of 6 for almost a year.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Not necessarily.  Hospitals will get free samples of various products to give to new mothers.  The products are not full sized, but samples do happen.  The hospital in my town got a huge shipment of little boxes of Dreft to give out to patients.  They received so much that they had to put cases into storage.  Then that storage facility was cleaned out, and all those little boxes of Dreft ended up in the dumpster.  But not for long, because my dad's company also used that particular storage facility and he was a dumpster diver.  He and his buddy loaded up and my mom had enough laundry detergent for my family of 6 for almost a year.

Some samples, sure, but the packages of diapers and wipes, etc are charged (even if insurance pays for it), at least I always have been.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Who is driving the car with Jack has yet to be seen, but at this point he is 12 and Hailey is 10, so it's definitely an adult or two.  

Also, Jack is blind, so no driving for him!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The flashforward to 2030 has the Pearsons gathering around Rebecca's deathbed.  So far we have seen Randall and his family, Toby by himself, Kevin and his twins, and Uncle Nicky.  Jack is on his way with an indeterminate amount of people.  Who is driving the car with Jack has yet to be seen, but at this point he is 12 and Hailey is 10, so it's definitely an adult or two.  

We are still waiting to see Kate, Kevin's wife and Nicky's wife. 

Plus Toby is not wearing his wedding ring when he answers the phone when he's in bed by himself in the flashforward.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, nixgirl28 said:

Some samples, sure, but the packages of diapers and wipes, etc are charged (even if insurance pays for it), at least I always have been.

Nothing is ever really "free" unless you get diapers from a diaper bank or charity. They had triplets, I would think the hospital would help.

When I had my son in the 80's, I got newborn diapers and some formula if I wanted to supplement later, a pacifer (should have gotten 2) and of course the blankets and cap. I realized when I got home the cans of formula were all expired. They apologized but I wondered how many tired mom don't look (I am OCD with exp dates) They offered more but I asked for another pacifier since my son loved only that one.

Re Toby, having them break up isn't a big deal and since Jack and Hailey are older, it might have happened when they were more teens than children.

Edited by debraran
8 hours ago, nixgirl28 said:

At least Kevin's was a dream. Randall's experience was... a hallucination... I guess? He was awake right? I still don't get what it was. Kate saw Jack during her ivf, but again, anesthesia. Yeah, it's weird they're all seeing ghosts.

They just want to give the adult Big Three actors a chance to act with Milo. I think one of the writers even said in an interview they liked finding ways to do that.

7 hours ago, nixgirl28 said:

I think in that case the nurse was basically just letting them get away with stealing diapers and stuff.  That's why she told them to wait until she left the room.

• Love 2
On 2/28/2021 at 2:56 AM, Leeds said:

There's nothing complimentary in American health care.

It is law in many states that a nurse inspects the car seat installation.

• Useful 2
On 2/28/2021 at 10:03 AM, JudyObscure said:

Heh! We just got the bill for my 2 days in hospital with Covid.  Because we have really good insurance we were able to laugh at the four, 8 x 10,fine print pages of detailed charges.  If they charge for cotton balls ...

They don't itemize nursing care. That is what you are paying for.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LoveLeigh said:

Is there no new episode tonight?

No. 2 hour The Voice premiere followed by season premiere of New Amsterdam. 

I think because of COVID they are spreading the season out and we may not even get 18 episodes at this rate. 

On 2/26/2021 at 1:54 PM, txhorns79 said:

Please, it's obviously the child of someone who once bumped into Jack while riding a bus with William after being sold heroin by Laurel.  I'm sure we'll get a three or four part episode about them at some point.

But Ellie is a west coast girl and all those people were in the greater Pittsburgh-Philadelphia-New Jersey zone.

No, the daddy is the son of Josh Molina's character so we'll get a three or four part episode about them and how the daddy moved to LA to fulfill his dreams because he was being stifled by his dreadful father in Washington state.  Maybe he's one of the characters at Disneyland.  Yes, the bio father of Kate and Toby's baby girl is Goofy.

• LOL 3

As much as I hate watch this show sometimes I read an article about how this show isn't going to go on forever and they have that ending planned already and I got the sads!  

Something tells me spinoff is a distinct possibility though!

• Love 2
On 2/27/2021 at 3:48 AM, Leeds said:

Herons are known to have deadly beaks.

image.png.8c27b0766c28a1f68a2450f7b315afc8.png

You killed me. People are asking why am I laughing at a picture of a murder bird.

I wonder if Toby getting laid off will actually cause a Pearson to go through real financial hardship. All financial issues are easily overcome and everyone always seems to have bottomless pits of money in this world.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, meep.meep said:

No, the daddy is the son of Josh Molina's character so we'll get a three or four part episode about them and how the daddy moved to LA to fulfill his dreams because he was being stifled by his dreadful father in Washington state.  Maybe he's one of the characters at Disneyland.  Yes, the bio father of Kate and Toby's baby girl is Goofy.

Gawrsh!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, Crs97 said:

I had four c-sections.  If my husband had told me I would need to drive home from the hospital, we would not have gotten to my needing four c-sections.  My doctors didn’t want me to drive for a month after each one.  Jack once again is the worst, and the worship of him irks me no end.  

Jack used absolutely terrible judgment.   Rebecca was having difficulty turning around in the car, so what if she had said it was too difficult & painful for her to drive?  He would have had to drive.  Drunk.  With newborn babies and his wife in the car.  I don't understand the worship of him either.  Telling her he had that shot does not make him honorable.   If he really felt he needed a drink, he could have waited until they got home.  He put the lives of all of them in danger, and seemed to think "problem solved" when she ended up driving and he then confessed.  If I were Rebecca, I would be furious.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:33 AM, ProudMary said:

You are not.
I would have been fine if the episode had concentrated on the present-day Pearson newborns getting home. 
I have absolutely had it with Jack. Dear writers, the character has been dead for more than two decades. ENOUGH ALREADY!

I'm truly not sure why I'm still watching this show. Most of the time, it just annoys me now.

Agree with you re Jack.  He's not interesting, and I'd far prefer to see more present-day than a constant rehashing of the early days of Jack & Rebecca.  For me, they're the weak link in this show.

• Love 11
(edited)
25 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

Jack used absolutely terrible judgment.   Rebecca was having difficulty turning around in the car, so what if she had said it was too difficult & painful for her to drive?  He would have had to drive.  Drunk.  With newborn babies and his wife in the car.  I don't understand the worship of him either.  Telling her he had that shot does not make him honorable.   If he really felt he needed a drink, he could have waited until they got home.  He put the lives of all of them in danger, and seemed to think "problem solved" when she ended up driving and he then confessed.  If I were Rebecca, I would be furious.

Agree with you re Jack.  He's not interesting, and I'd far prefer to see more present-day than a constant rehashing of the early days of Jack & Rebecca.  For me, they're the weak link in this show.

I think post Covid writing changed, maybe they had to write quickly or something. I am so tired of young Jack and Rebecca, the kids no, they are cute but the same stuff over and over with a little more thrown in. I thought THIS time they will talk about Kyle, mention a memorial or something. No they just leave with another baby who's name was going to be their dead son's. Thankfully William had some sense. No real extra in those scenes except the bottle. We all knew he drank a few times during their marriage and didn't always tell the truth. Having Rebecca drive, the drinking, the sitting in the car, that had to be because of covid, but just felt "off" If this was TIU in the beginning I think I might have not been as sucked in.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4
On 2/28/2021 at 9:54 AM, LeighLeigh said:

Remember Rebecca reached for some fruit that rolled out of a grocery bag and got into a car accident? 

I love the idea of a piece of fruit getting into a car accident.  An entire episode based on that would be much more interesting than the current dreck.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 3/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, Boo Boo said:

Something tells me spinoff is a distinct possibility though!

On 3/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, Dowel Jones said:

That Was Us?

On 3/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, qtpye said:

This Isn't Us?

20 hours ago, Leeds said:

This Is Another Grammatically Awkward Show Title.

It will be called The Pearson Correlation Coefficient. An exceptionally nerdy person (like me, but fictional) is going to come across Randall's viral strip video and figure out that Jack Pearson is a descendant of Karl Pearson, famous statistician and infamous eugenicist. That will trigger another crisis for Randall, and he's going to travel to England to commune with Karl Pearson's ghost in a murky body of water. While there, he will happen to inherit another vacation home.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 2:27 AM, chocolatine said:

It will be called The Pearson Correlation Coefficient. An exceptionally nerdy person (like me, but fictional) is going to come across Randall's viral strip video and figure out that Jack Pearson is a descendant of Karl Pearson, famous statistician and infamous eugenicist. That will trigger another crisis for Randall, and he's going to travel to England to commune with Karl Pearson's ghost in a murky body of water. While there, he will happen to inherit another vacation home.

An English country house!!  Where Beth can pretend she’s on Downton or Bridgerton!  😝 

• LOL 2

I enjoyed this episode overall. There were some pieces I didn't enjoy...like:

People carrying newborns around like they're footballs. Apart from the old carseats of the 70s or 80s, the click-in ones need to be in the hospital for you to put baby in and the staff needs to see you insert baby to carseat & buckle them. Then, get to the car, snap the seat into base & go. I felt like there was so much carrying around of infants but maybe it was just me. Also, Madison wearing a turtleneck didn't jive. Skin-to-skin contact between mom & newborn is key and if breastfeeding, you go for breastfeeding-friendly clothing options that open easily or are wrap-tops. Idk why but those details just get to me. Even first-time moms know this in the age of internet.  Nevermind "celebrity" moms-to-be. 

Glad that they touched on how pivotal and emotional it can be for adopted children to one day have their own biological child(ren). I always wondered when they'd touch on that with Randall. As Randall-saturated this show is, I waited for that to be taken on. Interesting however at the end, when Deja was the one that seemed closest to Randall for that extra hug than even his own bio daughters. At first, I thought that the woman driving Deja home from residency was Malik's daughter all grown up instead of Annie. I'm not going to hate on Randall for wanting a 3rd child immediately either.  

Jack's ride home from hospital was cringey. It most closely paralelled Kevin's. I think they try to point out constantly that unbeknownst to Kevin or any of them, Jack & Kev share the most in common personality-wise. That's the thing- no one may ever really know.  It can be the case with any one of us in real life. 

On 2/24/2021 at 2:12 AM, Leeds said:

Am I the only person who hated 99% of this episode?

(Including the brand new baby that looked like a kielbasa inexpertly wrapped in a blanket.)

No.   These writers love to infuse deep meaning into the minutiae of life.  They could create an episode called "Trash Day" and give us three generations of Pearsons bonding over taking the trash cans out to the curb every week.   All parents drive their babies home from the hospital.   Most parents aren't as neurotic or dramatic as the Pearsons, so "the ride" is generally nothing anyone would want to see on a TV show.   But this is the Pearsons, so whatever they're doing, whether driving home from the hospital or taking out the trash, must be special.

Disliking Madison more each week.

The portrayals of the husbands/fathers was less than flattering.   What are the writers trying to say?   That new fathers turn into angry cavemen when they have to bring the baby home and it dawns on them that life as they knew it is over?  Except of course for Randall who regards a new baby as a fresh set of ears to fill with his self-pitying sob stories.   No wonder he wants Beth to have another.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Did the Big 3 make an arrangement where they take possession of jack's urn for four months of each year?

And they fight over who gets to wear it on their head.  Miguel is still waiting for it to be his turn.

• LOL 1