Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Road to the Finals - Final Clues to the Mask! / S01.E09: The Finale - One Last Mask!

• Start Topic

I was really disappointed in how it ended. While I was rooting for Maks, I had no idea if it would be him or Tulip. The only thing I was sure of was that Cotton Candy would come in third. I'm still not sure why she won off a gymnastics routine. Maybe, like DWTS has become, people don't want to vote for the professional dancers.

I probably won't watch the show again. I didn't really care for it overall, and the only reason I kept watching this season was because I was enjoying Maks. But I find it REALLY annoying how much of the dance routine you can't even see them dancing because they're going to the fake audience and panel for fake reaction shots. The continuity sucks. And I just don't care for Craig Robinson as the host (still don't know why FOX didn't try to snag Tom and Erin for this gig). I think I'll just stick with Masked Singer.

• Love 2

In this article Maks says, "I don't think anybody expected [the Sloth] to be me." Hahaha, except everyone here who guessed it weeks ago!

Other tidbits:

• the show was filmed while DWTS was filming their bubble season last fall
  • he confirmed that the costumes were really restricting (the heads are built on bicycle helmets)
  • he pulled his shoulder while doing the ribbon dance routine but didn't tell anyone because he was embarrassed
  • for those of you who watch SYTYCD, Kiki from S14 was the choreographer for the Sloth routines and Koine from S14 was the Sloth's dance partner
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I was really disappointed in how it ended. While I was rooting for Maks, I had no idea if it would be him or Tulip. The only thing I was sure of was that Cotton Candy would come in third. I'm still not sure why she won off a gymnastics routine. Maybe, like DWTS has become, people don't want to vote for the professional dancers.

Based off of those final performances, I completely understand how Cotton Candy won. Her routine was exciting (because gymnastics are exciting) and the other two routines were misses. Tulip's was so visually busy. I don't know if what the at home audience sees is the same as what we saw but if it was, you couldn't see the quality of her movement because she's green, her background is green and it all blended together. A sparser stage would have allowed her movement to stand out more.

As for Maks, he knows better. He told me I was about to get a jive and then spent most of the routine "mucking about" knocking over bowling pin dancers. Rolling on the floor was not a good look. Maks or his choreographer, though I have to believe he had a say in what he was doing, was so focused on putting humor into his number that he forgot to dance. And maybe jive isn't the right dance when you're wearing big, costume sloth feet considering how important footwork is in a jive. And again, I don't know what the voters see, but when Maks finally started partnering, they cut to a shot of the judges and fake audience reacting. What? Why?

Cotton Candy had very little distractions on stage, a popular song from a popular movie, went last and did their very best in their field. And I'm sure the show helped push all of this along. It's better for them to have Gabby Douglas, famous Olympian, win this show than one of two professional dancers from smaller TV shows with a more niche audience win.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

Based off of those final performances, I completely understand how Cotton Candy won. Her routine was exciting (because gymnastics are exciting) and the other two routines were misses. Tulip's was so visually busy. I don't know if what the at home audience sees is the same as what we saw but if it was, you couldn't see the quality of her movement because she's green, her background is green and it all blended together. A sparser stage would have allowed her movement to stand out more.

As for Maks, he knows better. He told me I was about to get a jive and then spent most of the routine "mucking about" knocking over bowling pin dancers. Rolling on the floor was not a good look. Maks or his choreographer, though I have to believe he had a say in what he was doing, was so focused on putting humor into his number that he forgot to dance. And maybe jive isn't the right dance when you're wearing big, costume sloth feet considering how important footwork is in a jive. And again, I don't know what the voters see, but when Maks finally started partnering, they cut to a shot of the judges and fake audience reacting. What? Why?

Cotton Candy had very little distractions on stage, a popular song from a popular movie, went last and did their very best in their field. And I'm sure the show helped push all of this along. It's better for them to have Gabby Douglas, famous Olympian, win this show than one of two professional dancers from smaller TV shows with a more niche audience win.

I agree with you.  I think Gabby's choreography/production is what gave her the win even though Maks and MacKenzie are better dancers.   It's similar to how DWTS freestyles are sometimes won by the choreography and production.

Maks routine was better last week.  I agree with you that Maks did too much messing about as Len from DWTS would say.  It's too bad because Maks is a very strong performer and his power and lines show even with the sloth costume.  Besides the clues, Maks mannerisms gave him away.  Just like he used to squeeze Tom's butt, he did the same to Craig.

I'm not sure the audience appreciated MacKenzie's routine.  I think it should have been a more hard hitting hip-hop jazz fusion.  So keep the tricks like her aerial, fouettes, etc. but add in more hip-hop which I think is MacKenzie's strongest dance style.  I like her freestyle on DWTS Juniors.  Here's a link: 

I’m wondering if Maks’ finale routine was dialed down to accommodate his back and shoulder injuries.  During the opening group number I think the male dancers lifted their partners but I don’t think Maks did.  BTW, in a post show interview he said he didn’t do any choreography. He was happy to show up and let someone else have that responsibility. 

Maks has a specific style when he dances Latin. That style and a certain move he does in his style was so evident. I knew it was Maks as when he first danced Latin.

I knew Cotton Candy would win. She won this show early on when she fell from the ring, got up and performed the following day. The win was a lock for her.

2 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I’m wondering if Maks’ finale routine was dialed down to accommodate his back and shoulder injuries.  During the opening group number I think the male dancers lifted their partners but I don’t think Maks did.  BTW, in a post show interview he said he didn’t do any choreography. He was happy to show up and let someone else have that responsibility. 

Maks also said it was a first for him not to be the teacher. Dead give a way it was him.

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Excellent point. I commented on that in previous weeks, that he was going too much for humor and not enough for dancing up to his full capabilities. I've also never been real impressed with Kiki's choreography, though I know he's a close friend and former student of Maks.

29 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I also read that one of his later routines was supposed to be his first routine but the producers wouldn't allow it because it was so advanced compared to the others.

Mackenzie deserves so much credit for doing fouettés, an aerial, and a turning leap with that giant tulip head on. I had to laugh when Ken stuck to his Lucy Hale guess. I agree that having such a dark background was a disadvantage.

Max's routine was fine but I was surprised that for someone with so much dance experience, there wasn't more impressive content in the finale routine. It wasn't bad or anything but I was expecting him to pull out the stops for his last performance.

Gabby, on the other hand, had the kind of routine that I expected for the finale. I can't imagine what a pain in the ass it was to have so much equipment on the stage for that performance and not have anyone run into it accidentally. Maybe I don't know as much about Tara Lipinski as Ashley Tisdale does, but I highly doubt she can do a front tuck.

What I really appreciate about Gabby is that her Cotton Candy persona with the cutesy arm movements throughout the season is that it's so different from her style in gymnastics. That is not the kind of thing we ever saw in her floor or beam routines. I actually found her arm movements and dance elements a bit awkward in a typical gymnast way during her floor and beam routines throughout her career.

My sister was a competitive gymnast so I have watched a lot of gymnastics in my life (and I also know several aerial artists who perform on lyra), and nothing about the way that Gabby fell from the lyra made me think she fell like a gymnast. I don't think there is a specific way that a gymnast would fall from a lyra that's different from the way a non-gymnast would fall from a lyra, so it was driving me crazy all season that Ashley Tisdale kept saying that Cotton Candy fell "like a gymnast" from the lyra, especially since we didn't really get a good look at her hitting the ground.

These were the three best dancers so going into the finale, I wasn't going to be bothered by any of them winning. After seeing all three routines, I was fine with Gabby winning. This isn't like Dancing on Ice where there are required elements for the routine, so I'm not going to complain that Gabby did a punch front. To me, that was the only non-beginner gymnastics skill she did. The other gymnastics moves she did were very basic (front walkover, back walkover, and an aerial which Mackenzie also did).

• Love 1

I don't watch The Masked Singer because I am sure I don't know most of those people. I like dancing and wanted to see the costumes, etc. It really cracked me up when these judges (who IS Ashley Tisdale and why was she wearing those horrible dresses????) kept throwing out names like Hugh Jackman and other real celebrities who would never go on a D-list show like this. (Although the first night, I was sure that Cotton Candy was Kristin Chenowith for many reasons.) I had to wonder if the judges were given clues and suggestions as to who was on the show so that no one would be embarrassed if, when they took off their mask, no one knew who it was? If I hadn't watched Dance Moms, I would never have heard of Mackenzie (or Maddie) and no one I know would know who they are. Most of the other names were more well-established. I think I am one and done if this returns. But, the costumes were amazing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I don't watch The Masked Singer because I am sure I don't know most of those people. I like dancing and wanted to see the costumes, etc. It really cracked me up when these judges (who IS Ashley Tisdale and why was she wearing those horrible dresses????) kept throwing out names like Hugh Jackman and other real celebrities who would never go on a D-list show like this. (Although the first night, I was sure that Cotton Candy was Kristin Chenowith for many reasons.) I had to wonder if the judges were given clues and suggestions as to who was on the show so that no one would be embarrassed if, when they took off their mask, no one knew who it was? If I hadn't watched Dance Moms, I would never have heard of Mackenzie (or Maddie) and no one I know would know who they are. Most of the other names were more well-established. I think I am one and done if this returns. But, the costumes were amazing.

Whether it's Masked Singer or Masked Dancer, I don't know most of them.  I call them "owl celebrities" because even when they are revealed I'm left saying "whoooooo?"

I don't know Ashley Tisdale other than from this show, but I find her a slight upgrade over Nicole Scherzinger on Masked Singer whose constant comment is "What just happened?!?!" like someone just cured cancer instead of singing a cover song.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2021 at 5:02 PM, Retired at last said:

(who IS Ashley Tisdale and why was she wearing those horrible dresses????)

On 2/18/2021 at 7:12 PM, eyelash said:

I don't know Ashley Tisdale other than from this show

Her claim to fame is playing Sharpay in High School Musical back in 2006 (before that, she was on The Suite Life of Zack & Cody). She managed to parlay that into releasing an album the following year and doing a mall tour. I laughed every time Craig introduced her as an award winning performer. The awards she has won:

2006 Billboard Music Awards Soundtrack Album of the Year - High School Musical
2007 Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Awards Best TV Actress - The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
2007 American Music Awards Soundtrack Favorite Album - High School Musical 2
2009 MTV Movie Awards Breakthrough Performance Female - High School Musical 3: Senior Year
2009 Choice: Movie Music/DanceTeen Choice Awards - High School Musical 3: Senior Year
2014 Young Hollywood Awards Social Media Superstar

I mean, technically they ARE awards and she has won them so he wasn't lying, but describing someone as an award winning performer usually means something more prestigious than a Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Award.

I get that you want to be comfortable but cute when you're pregnant, and I get that there are double standards for what men and women wear, but it was crazy to see Ashley in those sequined maternity dresses every week while Ken Jeong was wearing zip up hoodies. I had no real feelings about Ashley TIsdale before this show but now that I know she's a WOO girl, she annoys me.

On the other hand, she's still more qualified to be a judge than Brian Austin Green. His presence on this show is still baffling to me.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On the other hand, she's still more qualified to be a judge than Brian Austin Green. His presence on this show is still baffling to me.

I thought it was just me. I had no idea what he was doing there, other than having just competed on Masked Singer. But then again, so did many others.

Also, BAG is now dating Sharna Burgess so he's been spending a lot of time with Maks. You're going to tell me he had no clue it was him?

11 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I thought it was just me. I had no idea what he was doing there, other than having just competed on Masked Singer. But then again, so did many others.

If the show gets renewed, I hope they replace him. His comments add nothing to the show and he doesn't seem to interact with the other judges. I don't need the panel to be BFFs but he seems so separate from them. His awkward dancing is embarrassing to watch too. I thought his David Silver dancing was awkward to watch on 90210 but somehow his adult dancing is even more embarrassing to witness.

• Love 4
On 2/19/2021 at 4:56 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Her claim to fame is playing Sharpay in High School Musical back in 2006 (before that, she was on The Suite Life of Zack & Cody). She managed to parlay that into releasing an album the following year and doing a mall tour. I laughed every time Craig introduced her as an award winning performer. The awards she has won:

2006 Billboard Music Awards Soundtrack Album of the Year - High School Musical
2007 Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Awards Best TV Actress - The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
2007 American Music Awards Soundtrack Favorite Album - High School Musical 2
2009 MTV Movie Awards Breakthrough Performance Female - High School Musical 3: Senior Year
2009 Choice: Movie Music/DanceTeen Choice Awards - High School Musical 3: Senior Year

I mean, technically they ARE awards and she has won them so he wasn't lying, but describing someone as an award winning performer usually means something more prestigious than a Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Award.

I get that you want to be comfortable but cute when you're pregnant, and I get that there are double standards for what men and women wear, but it was crazy to see Ashley in those sequined maternity dresses every week while Ken Jeong was wearing zip up hoodies. I had no real feelings about Ashley TIsdale before this show but now that I know she's a WOO girl, she annoys me.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT ASHLEY TISDALE

Nah, not even HSM stars can make me watch this show.

• LOL 2

Thanks, @ElectricBoogaloo for telling me who that Ashley is. No wonder I never heard if her. I didn't realize she was pregnant at first and just noticed her top half smashed into little girl dresses and it looked stupid. And you are all right about Brian Austin Green, but at least I had heard his name. I still think the judges must have gotten tips about who the performers are because their guesses were so outrageous, and again, who (over the age of 12) knows who Mackenzie is (unless you watched Dance Moms- I confess former guilty pleasure)?

I only know MacKenzie and Ashley because my daughters like dance and they're the right age to have watch the HSM movies, Dance Moms, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, etc.  Also since the HSM movies were filmed in Utah, my older daughter was going to audition as a background dancer except she had prior obligations.

I'll watch another season since it seems like this show will occur during off seasons.  Maybe, it will be on the same night as SYTYCD in the summer if the latter comes back.  Plus, I can't get upset at the results since the three best dancers made it to the finals.  That's better than the popularity contest that DWTS has become so that somebody like Bobby Bones can win.

• Love 1