Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
David T. Cole

Impractical Jokers

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

• Like 1

I've only started watching this, but comparing earlier shows to this most recent season, I feel the show seems to have really gelled...the humor is funny, but not mean-spirited, because it's not innocent bystanders who are the butt of the jokes - it's the four guys. I'm loving this series so much, and am also amazed that it seems to get away with so much "adult" humor...I suppose the laughter makes it all the more acceptable.

Thank you, tru.tv!

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Like 1

I, too just recently started watching, but I consistently ugly-laugh my way through every single episode! It's just like they say: 4 lifelong friends who dare each other to do crazy things. Such a simple concept, but it plays out hilariously on film!

I'm just so happy there's a forum to discuss it now!!!!

:-)

Thank you, David!!!

And tru.tv ;-)

• Like 3

Sal is my favorite. He has mad game! I can't believe some of the things he has to say, but when he says them, they sound flirtatious. One challenge has him at a singles mixer, and the lines fed to him were pretty funny, but the way the woman reacted to them? Priceless!

• Like 1

Joe reminds me of all the men in my large Italian family; corny sense of humor, very confident, and pretty much fearless when hanging with friends. He seems best at keeping a straight face during his challenges. I also love that he has a Bischon Frise named Canolli. That cracks me up!

• Like 1

Murr appears to be the guy who takes the most teasing. He does a really good job at keeping a straight face and really selling a challenge. I love his evil glare----I could never do that without laughing my face off!

Q seems to have the best sense of humor about himself, his hair, his clothes, his cats, his pronunciation of words. He also seems to have difficulty approaching pretty girls in his challenges, or saying anything questionable to pretty girls, which is endearing.

• Like 1

I started watching with my son and just love these guys. I have to say though that I like the ones where they are in stores or fast food places the best. I never believe the ones where they are supposed to be experts giving lectures or the focus group ones because it always seems like the people are in on those.

Just saw the Ja'Crispy episode last night, as well as the singles mixer (was it the same show?) Anyway, Sal is my favorite as well. He can take a challenge and almost make it logical: he's a guy who knows how to get the crowd/individual on his side.

• Like 1

Joe reminds me of all the men in my large Italian family; corny sense of humor, very confident, and pretty much fearless when hanging with friends. He seems best at keeping a straight face during his challenges. I also love that he has a Bischon Frise named Canolli. That cracks me up!

17wheatthins, I guess I haven't seen the "Larry" episode yet...what is Joe screaming "Larry" all about?

• Like 1

From what I've been able to gather, Larry is a crewman for the show, and in a lot of challenges, Joe has to run around frantically calling out his name, as though he's looking for him...

• Like 1

I totally lost it @ the wedding dress challenge---they all seemed in high spirits and at the top of their game. And the colognes weren't to shabby either, if just for the guys riffing on the possible ad lines they could use.

I've been obsessed with this show since it came out. I love that they're four best friends and because they're also from NYC like me (born and bred, woop woop!) I feel like I "get" their humor (you'd have to be pretty uptight not to, though!). I ALWAYS laugh at this show. Hope it stays on forever <3

• Like 3

The guys are an improv/comedy troup called "The Tenderloins", and they usually tour under that name...however, "Impractical Jokers" may trump that now as far as name recognition.

From what I have gleaned through interviews with the guys, "tenderloin" is one of many slightly awkward/suggestive words Sal thought up when they were trying to decide on a name for themselves, and "impractical jokers" was thought up by tru.tv when they decided to buy the guys' pitch for a candid camera prank show....

eta: durr I swear I can read....it's also their production company name

:-)

Edited by 17wheatthins
  • Like 1

Thanks, 17wheatthins. (I feel I know you so well by now...may I call you 17wt? ;) )  So, the guys were a touring comedy group before the show? Interesting... I wonder whether this was a full time gig for them, or did they have day jobs?

• Like 1

17wt is fine ;-) May I call you Bos? :-D

Yeah, they went to H.S. together, then remained friends though college. Being a recent discovery/obsession of mine, IDK about all of them yet, but I do know Sal has a degree in finance, and was working as a bartender during the first season of Impractical Jokers. I believe they have all given up day jobs now, and focus solely on their show. Tru.tv had ordered another show from them, but I'm not too knowledgeable about it.

I think maybe I'll post links to interviews for your (and hopefully others') perusal.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/questions-with-comedians-get-to-know-the-impractical-jokers-012214

http://pcmworldnews.com/news/2013/10/joe-gatto-talks-about-impractical-jokers-larry-and-the-tenderloins/

Pretty good. I have two more.

Sorry, it is an obsession of mine right now.

:-}

http://pcm-tv.com/2011/Impractical-Jokers.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-heisler/dont-call-me-clown-mousta_b_3210657.html

eta: Damn, 17wt, groupie much? LOL

Edited by 17wheatthins
  • Like 1

I love Cannoli! She has an instagram that I looked at out of curiosity (@cannoligatto) and she has a new sibling named Biscotti :)

My favorite Joe moment was his gymnastics punishment...saying "thanks, I can do it better" as his pants came off while he was being pulled out of the pit.

• Like 1

Yes! Cannoli and Biscotti are THE CUTEST EVER.

And just thinking about "I can do it better" makes me laugh at work, much to the bemusement of my coworkers....

Joe does so much of what I consider physical humor, using his face and body in amusing ways. The optometrist challenge, him pushing his belly out during the gymnastic punishment, when he speeds through the aisles of stores----I crack up every time, and continue to do so when rewatching the episodes.

And, when he seems to pop up behind taller guys---I've only seen that twice, but I go into fits of laughter...

• Like 1

Yeah, he forfeits a lot....it's disappointing, because we know how intelligent he is, and from what alive been able to gather, he was the lead in many of his H.S. plays, so he could just approach the challenges "in character" instead of as Q....

The spa day challenge was really good! They all appeared to be having a good, awkward time. I especially enjoyed "Can you massage my bald"....too funny! And the punishment w/Joe in the dress thinking he would be modeling but really conducting a seminar? I found it hard to breathe....so much fun.

• Like 1

Loved the slot machine challenge, but wish there hadn't been so many "wild cards", as it led it to being more of the usual "three guys pick a scenario."   Also: either the make-up was especially bad, or Joe makes the ugliest drag queen that's ever been.

• Like 1

And the punishment w/Joe in the dress thinking he would be modeling but really conducting a seminar? I found it hard to breathe....so much fun.

That's the best--the moment he realizes it's not what he thought it would be, like when he jumped out of the cake!

I've been binging on this show for the last few days, can't get enough.

Edited by chewycandy
  • Like 2

Murr can be convincingly childlike. The woman who took him by the hand when he yelled out "Mommy" in the store--too cute. His toy store tantrum (from a never-before-seen clip show) was amazing. (So was Sal's!)

• Like 2

I know, he came out that door with a model strut, and went to put his hand on his hip, looked out at the room, realized he'd been had, and dropped his hand in a manner of seconds. I've been laughing about that for days now!

• Like 1

Sal is my favorite. He can be so clever on the spot! What episode was the Ja Crispy? I have them all taped, but I didn't see that one. Thanks if you know!

I loved the one where Sal laid on that woman's beach blanket and took a nap and she liked him! That was so funny!

• Like 1

I believe it's season 3 episode 7 that has Ja'Crispy, but I may be mistaken. I adore Sal because of his ability to read people & approach them in the best possible way....also, the episode when they're working at the dentist has my absolute most favorite Sal moment, hands down. Laughing while raising and tilting the chair? Fantastic!

He's my favorite too. Those thigh high boots, classic. I would fall on the floor at most everything they do as well and I love when he pulls someone down with him, lol!

• Like 1

Joe is great but I am a bit worried about his body shape. He is fat and in the way that is dangerous with it right in his middle. He needs to lose weight. I think he is very talented and amazing ad-libber/improv actor. He can also do so many funny noises. After Sal he is my second fave. Of course I love them all. 

• Like 1

Well what were they doing when he said Ja crispy? I've seen them all so i don't remember this. What challenge was it? Like were they at a fast food?

• Like 1

I think it was one at the park, something about Sal being out front, and the guys writing things on big pads of paper that he had to say...Sal had to introduce himself as "Ja'Crispy".

@17wheatthins , is this right?

• Like 1

The first time I saw It was an "I need to use your cellphone" challenge, Sal was reading what the guys wrote on cue cards. He had to say he needed to call "A white guy named Ja'Crispy" to tell him it was "cuddle o'clock" and he couldn't use his phone because it "converted to Judaism"

I think he liked it so much that he uses it a lot now.

But these guys hav been together for 25 years, as friends and an improv troupe...they may have used it before...

• Like 2

I dvr'd one called Bonus Material last night, and just finished watching it....the scenes nearly caused a laughing fit. I don't want to spoil any of it, but please, try to shh this one ASAP!

I also enjoy the relationship between the guys, you can see how close they really are, and that makes their shenanigans even more funny.