Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 90 Words Per Minute

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Drogo said:

You thought I got paid?  This was just part of the terms of my parole. 

Oh, you're not getting paid?  In that case, I'll triple your salary!  

Anyhoo, sorry to see you go, hopefully you still find time to comment!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Thanks to Christina's suggestion of a Bingo card generator, we have one iteration:  mfbc.us/m/j986u7 (copy and paste this in your address bar).

I wasn't able to put everyone's amazing suggestions on it, but at least we have something for the new season.

Edited by SemiCharmedLife
added info for clarity.
  • Love 1

Chris and Nikki(?),  David Tobo's partner-in-crime and his wife were invited to a Super Bowl party and/or the actual game, I wasn't paying much attention to that conman's life. But then, someone mentioned that Darcey and Angela were also there and linked to a Reddit post as proof.

They were the halftime entertainment!!

• LOL 10
On 11/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, JennyMominFL said:

Are we posting pics? Im posting two because tomorrow is Veteran’s Day. Ive been away for 5 weeks and missed it

After USMC Basic Training in 1988... And in Paris last month.  My husband is silly..Ill be 50 in may

05928F3F-91F1-4C2E-8225-BBFA2449F7FD.jpeg

852DC5A7-2D09-4579-B7C0-D2BDC22D21DD.jpegJust saw this gorgeous, loving the 80s hair too.

• Love 5
On 12/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, mamadrama said:

My husband has a BA and MA from the University of Wales and an MA from Oxford. None of those were sufficient enough for him to sign up as a substitute here in my state (despite our sub and teacher shortage). While you don't have to have a degree at ALL to be a sub, only a certain number of college credit hours in any subject, since none of his degrees were from American universities they didn't qualify. (The qualifications say you have to have X number of hours from an accredited American institution).  In order for him to be a sub here he has to pay a company around $1,000 to take his British degrees and more or less transfer them over to the American system. Meanwhile, a girl down the road is a substitute teacher and all she has are 15 hours from an online for-profit school that was eventually closed down for offering fraudulent diplomas. 

Ironically, he did get a job teaching Anthropology at one of our state's biggest universities. So he can teach college-level courses, he just can't fill in for half a day at our daughter's elementary school. 

I had to pay some outrageous amount to get my degree accredited. I think it was Accra or something similar. If there wasn’t a direct correlation I got ‘electives’.

• Love 2
On 1/17/2020 at 10:25 PM, Frozendiva said:

Thanks for the information!

Canadian rules are similar. Because I spent time in the UK during those years, I am ineligible to donate.

Same here. I wanted to bank my children’s placentas but no one would😮 after 9/11 before we realized there weren’t any survivors I was ready to donate but turned down because of my mad cow blood. Mad cow, explains a lot!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

From Robert & Anny's thread...

I've had a few different television shows approach me over the years because of the books I write.  Several years ago a popular one badgered and badgered my family until we finally relented to do it. I can't publicly say which one it is, but it's a paranormal-themed one. The payment was very small, but they did provide a bunch of perks, and we thought it would be free marketing for me. I watched every episode of every season beforehand, so between that and my 2nd full-time job of watching reality TV (ha) I thought we'd be fine. Like everyone else, I'd spent years making fun of these assholes who blame "editing." 

There were two reasons why we hesitated in the first place: my family/friends and my kid. The thing about this show is that it's not just you who is involved, but your family. I had to get my mom, husband, and a few friends involved as well. The other thing was that we KNEW we'd have to talk about the death of our son and that his "storyline" would be a big part of the show. I was actually okay with this because there's a lot of misinformation out there and I thought this might be a way of opening an honest discussion of SIDS. 

Filming was actually pretty fun. The production company was cool and everyone was very nice. There was no "script". We filmed for quite a while and our meals and stuff were covered. They usually rented AirB&Bs for the people, but my house is very big and there's lots of room for them to set up their equipment. It's also very private. 

Filming wrapped up, we all hugged, and they left. I didn't know when it would air, because the new season hadn't started yet, but everyone in my town was pretty excited. And then I got the email...

People on the show don't get advanced screenings-most see the show the same time the viewers do. I knew that, it being reality TV, I wouldn't have a say in what was shown. I also knew that sometimes things are embellished or exaggerated. And, because of the subject matter, I knew there was a chance that we would all come out looking like complete morons. I was prepared for all of this. 

However, I was NOT prepared when one of the production assistants sneaked me an advanced copy (because they felt guilty, the said) and I watched them use the death of my son for over-the-top entertainment. SIDS was not mentioned. His premature birth and the seizures leading up to this death were ignored. Instead, a demon sneaked into his room in the middle of the night and killed him. Not only that, they took snippets of approximately 5 conversations between me, my mom, and my husband, and strung them altogether to make it sound like WE were the ones telling the story. I watched it, appalled, and was like, "I don't even remember saying the word 'demon'." Then we remembered during one of our lunches I had jokingly said, "I'm glad our toddler is out of the terrible twos. He was a complete demon." That's when I learned that if you're filming reality TV, you NEVER put your back to the camera. They use that opportunity for "frankenbites." This whole thing played out like a bad 80's horror movie, complete with stock music. It was awful.

There's a little bit more to it,it wasn't just that one scene but I really can't say more about it, but in the end our attorney came through and we were able to get our entire part cut out. Turns out I had a big case for defamation of character. I didn't want money, I just didn't want people sitting back and laughing about the worst thing that ever happened to us. And they would have. I know this because if I'd been watching the show, I would've laughed, too. We all would have.  We'd have loved making fun of those superstitious morons (because that's what we looked like) on this forum. 

Turns out I'm not the only person who got their part removed from the show. I did some research afterwards and found several blogs and videos about other families who said it was the worst decision they'd ever made. Wish I'd seen those first. 

• Useful 3

I've been trying to raise SIDS awareness for years and I don't mind talking about my son's death at all. I made a YT video about it and I meet new people almost every day who are searching for information and find my confessional. Talking about it helps and raising awareness is one of the things I'm most proud of. But even though our livelihood depends on my book sales, I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to see the worst time in my life played out for schlocky entertainment purposes on the _______channel. He deserves way more respect than that. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

I've had a few different television shows approach me over the years because of the books I write.  Several years ago a popular one badgered and badgered my family until we finally relented to do it. I can't publicly say which one it is, but it's a paranormal-themed one. The payment was very small, but they did provide a bunch of perks, and we thought it would be free marketing for me. I watched every episode of every season beforehand, so between that and my 2nd full-time job of watching reality TV (ha) I thought we'd be fine. Like everyone else, I'd spent years making fun of these assholes who blame "editing." 

There were two reasons why we hesitated in the first place: my family/friends and my kid. The thing about this show is that it's not just you who is involved, but your family. I had to get my mom, husband, and a few friends involved as well. The other thing was that we KNEW we'd have to talk about the death of our son and that his "storyline" would be a big part of the show. I was actually okay with this because there's a lot of misinformation out there and I thought this might be a way of opening an honest discussion of SIDS. 

Filming was actually pretty fun. The production company was cool and everyone was very nice. There was no "script". We filmed for quite a while and our meals and stuff were covered. They usually rented AirB&Bs for the people, but my house is very big and there's lots of room for them to set up their equipment. It's also very private. 

Filming wrapped up, we all hugged, and they left. I didn't know when it would air, because the new season hadn't started yet, but everyone in my town was pretty excited. And then I got the email...

People on the show don't get advanced screenings-most see the show the same time the viewers do. I knew that, it being reality TV, I wouldn't have a say in what was shown. I also knew that sometimes things are embellished or exaggerated. And, because of the subject matter, I knew there was a chance that we would all come out looking like complete morons. I was prepared for all of this. 

However, I was NOT prepared when one of the production assistants sneaked me an advanced copy (because they felt guilty, the said) and I watched them use the death of my son for over-the-top entertainment. SIDS was not mentioned. His premature birth and the seizures leading up to this death were ignored. Instead, a demon sneaked into his room in the middle of the night and killed him. Not only that, they took snippets of approximately 5 conversations between me, my mom, and my husband, and strung them altogether to make it sound like WE were the ones telling the story. I watched it, appalled, and was like, "I don't even remember saying the word 'demon'." Then we remembered during one of our lunches I had jokingly said, "I'm glad our toddler is out of the terrible twos. He was a complete demon." That's when I learned that if you're filming reality TV, you NEVER put your back to the camera. They use that opportunity for "frankenbites." This whole thing played out like a bad 80's horror movie, complete with stock music. It was awful.

There's a little bit more to it,it wasn't just that one scene but I really can't say more about it, but in the end our attorney came through and we were able to get our entire part cut out. Turns out I had a big case for defamation of character. I didn't want money, I just didn't want people sitting back and laughing about the worst thing that ever happened to us. And they would have. I know this because if I'd been watching the show, I would've laughed, too. We all would have.  We'd have loved making fun of those superstitious morons (because that's what we looked like) on this forum. 

Turns out I'm not the only person who got their part removed from the show. I did some research afterwards and found several blogs and videos about other families who said it was the worst decision they'd ever made. Wish I'd seen those first. 

That's despicable.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

That sucks

And I'm so very sorry about your sons death 😞

I want to ask this but I really hope you aren't offended.  If it is offensive I apologize in advance.  

but, it sounds like you may have known the show was about the paranormal.  What did you think the discussion was going to be surrounding your sons death?  I'm mostly curious.  

no matter what, making light-hearted entertainment out of a child's death is so....icky.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

That sucks

And I'm so very sorry about your sons death 😞

I want to ask this but I really hope you aren't offended.  If it is offensive I apologize in advance.  

but, it sounds like you may have known the show was about the paranormal.  What did you think the discussion was going to be surrounding your sons death?  I'm mostly curious.  

no matter what, making light-hearted entertainment out of a child's death is so....icky.  

Oh, no, it's a totally valid question and I realize now that I may not have been clear. 

I knew it was a paranormal-themed show before I agreed to be on it. The fact that it was paranormal was the reason they'd contacted me in the first place. However, when we went through the first few rounds of interviews (we had at least 3 before we even agreed to appear), my son wasn't mentioned at all. They told me what they were interested in out of me and we discussed a narrative that was true, but also condensed and interesting for an audience. His death wasn't even on the table because it really didn't have anything to do with the "storyline" (or whatever you want to call it). There was more than enough material for them to work with without him.

When they started filming, however, one of the producers said that they'd read one of my books where I'd talked about my son and this is how it was presented to me: "We'd like to include his death in the show. We realize that SIDS affects many parents, and that it's something that isn't often discussed on television. Would you be open to talking about it on camera? We think people would really relate to your grief and it would help make you three-dimensional."

Since there was nothing paranormal about my son's death, and the production team appeared very sympathetic and respectful, I agreed. They filmed me talking about the day he died and they took video of his little clothes and stuff. They interviewed our coroner and he referenced statistics and other "official" kinds of things. I was also told that they were going to offer a website address for SIDS information at the end. Nothing in the way of how it was presented, or how it was filmed, gave me cause for concern. 

Instead,they made it a freak show. 

The reason my stuff never aired is because my attorney threatened to sue for getting me to film under false pretenses. One of the producers stepped forward and said that they'd known his death was going to be a part of the show before they even contacted me (I've written a book about what happened) and that they never had any intentions of mentioning SIDS or the website-before I'd even signed on they knew they were going to embellish it and create a demon baby killer. It was a loophole that got me out of my contract. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

The other bad thing is that if it had aired, per my contract I wouldn't have been allowed to get on social media or anything to set people straight. I wouldn't have been able to get on FB and be like, "Okay, I never said any of that, the show's just trying for drama," etc. It was basically a gag order. So not only could my story be manipulated to be something it wasn't, but I couldn't complain about it either. I thought I'd covered every conceivable angle before I signed on. I missed one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Oh, no, it's a totally valid question and I realize now that I may not have been clear. 

I knew it was a paranormal-themed show before I agreed to be on it. The fact that it was paranormal was the reason they'd contacted me in the first place. However, when we went through the first few rounds of interviews (we had at least 3 before we even agreed to appear), my son wasn't mentioned at all. They told me what they were interested in out of me and we discussed a narrative that was true, but also condensed and interesting for an audience. His death wasn't even on the table because it really didn't have anything to do with the "storyline" (or whatever you want to call it). There was more than enough material for them to work with without him.

When they started filming, however, one of the producers said that they'd read one of my books where I'd talked about my son and this is how it was presented to me: "We'd like to include his death in the show. We realize that SIDS affects many parents, and that it's something that isn't often discussed on television. Would you be open to talking about it on camera? We think people would really relate to your grief and it would help make you three-dimensional."

Since there was nothing paranormal about my son's death, and the production team appeared very sympathetic and respectful, I agreed. They filmed me talking about the day he died and they took video of his little clothes and stuff. They interviewed our coroner and he referenced statistics and other "official" kinds of things. I was also told that they were going to offer a website address for SIDS information at the end. Nothing in the way of how it was presented, or how it was filmed, gave me cause for concern. 

Instead,they made it a freak show. 

The reason my stuff never aired is because my attorney threatened to sue for getting me to film under false pretenses. One of the producers stepped forward and said that they'd known his death was going to be a part of the show before they even contacted me (I've written a book about what happened) and that they never had any intentions of mentioning SIDS or the website-before I'd even signed on they knew they were going to embellish it and create a demon baby killer. It was a loophole that got me out of my contract. 

Wow 😞 That's awful. What an awful thing to trick someone on that subject.  

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Angry Moldovan said:

Has Drogo left and if so do we have a new moderator to welcome to the gang?

I'm here, I'm weird and I'm your mod for all the 90 Days....

...what a blow you all have suffered. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, RealReality said:

Wow 😞 That's awful. What an awful thing to trick someone on that subject.  

Remember how on the old show TRADING SPACES they used to take people's nice piece of furniture and cut it up, paint it, etc? Then people got smart and thought that if they hid that piece they loved in their garage or in another room then it would be safe? Only it wasn't, because then the decorators just started pulling stuff out of other rooms. It's the same with reality shows. If you have ANYTHING that you don't want on the show then don't do the show-cause those fuckers WILL pull it out of the garage and glue fake grass to it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, OnceSane said:

I'm here, I'm weird and I'm your mod for all the 90 Days....

...what a blow you all have suffered. 

LIAR! You never loved me! Stay out of my life! 

(I know, I need to workonmyselfbabe.)

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2020 at 1:57 AM, mamadrama said:

The other bad thing is that if it had aired, per my contract I wouldn't have been allowed to get on social media or anything to set people straight. I wouldn't have been able to get on FB and be like, "Okay, I never said any of that, the show's just trying for drama," etc. It was basically a gag order. So not only could my story be manipulated to be something it wasn't, but I couldn't complain about it either. I thought I'd covered every conceivable angle before I signed on. I missed one.

@mamadrama that's soo awful. Not sure what you knew about the show or what you didn't before signing. But really in comparison with the 90 day current cast, I don't think they should complain if they have been manipulated on camera or shown in a bad light. There has been alot of press out there and all you need is to google about 90 day fiance and find out information on that aspect. Or just watch the show. You can tell. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

@mamadrama that's soo awful. Not sure what you knew about the show or what you didn't before signing. But really in comparison with the 90 day current cast, I don't think they should complain if they have been manipulated on camera or shown in a bad light. There has been alot of press out there and all you need is to google about 90 day fiance and find out information on that aspect. Or just watch the show. You can tell. 

At the time I was approached, that show had only aired one season and the press and reactions were ultimately positive. I Googled some of the people on it, and by and large they had very positive things to say. The forum posts were all positive and there was very little to be snarky about. That later changed, but at the time it felt "safe." It wasn't until I pulled out and started REALLY investigating over the course of the next year that I found people who were ultimately unhappy about their experience. Some of those stories aired, and some are like mine and are still on ice. 

I wasn't really comparing my experience to the 90 Day people. Completely different kind of show, set up, and time period. "My" show was several years ago.  Just saying that things CAN be manipulated, not that they are. From what we've seen of some of these people off air, doesn't look like Sharp had to stretch much at all. In fact, when it comes to people like Laura, it looks like some of them got a better edit than they deserved. 

• Love 5

Shaun is 57-years-old and this photo was taken on day three of her hospitalization, I don't know for what, and she looks decades younger than a lot of these cast members who are much younger than her. Clearly, she has a painting hanging upside down in her attic and will bound back from whatever is going on in no time, since she avoids drinking, drugs, crappy plastic surgery and bees. 

On a much lighter note, here is a slideshow of the 90DF cast at the Oscars

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Just so y'all aren't wondering where I am during the live chat: I'm on the west coast and have a kid much too young to watch this show.  I'll be able to watch live once in a blue moon, but otherwise I'm SOL. 🙂 

• Love 4

@OnceSane, is there a way to open the live chat a couple of minutes earlier than just when the show starts? There have been a number of times when there have been some technical issues affecting people who participate. Many thanks if you can.

I am in the west too, but out cable provider gets the east coast feed so the show starts at 6 pm my time.

Hi everyone, thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions last night, as I tried, (vainly, as it turns out!) to get to TLC in real time. I just got You Tube TV and I will be at live chat next week with bells on! I missed you all!

• Love 7