Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 90 Words Per Minute

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Bill Bryson (travel writer) wrote about Australia, basically he said that there were 100 things on land that could kill you and same about what was in the ocean, it was more literary than that and I am paraphrasing but still...scared me from wanting walk barefoot anywhere on your continent, lol.  

I read that one just last year! And followed it with a few others, he's a good travel writer. I don't think about it too much,  but I have always tended to watch my feet when I walk. Mostly the venomous stuff here is fairly shy and retiring. We at least don't have brown snakes, which are vindictive and come after you. I kid you not. Pretty much everything else only bites you by accident. Or if it 'feels threatened'. Like if it's on your laundry floor and you step on it. I've got pictorial evidence of this stuff, believe me.

• Love 2

Copied from Statistical outlier

Holy cow, that's a hell of a deal.  But I think along those lines.  I had a coworker who was in a car wreck and the tips of some of her fingers were severed, and she sued and got a very nice sum.  The rest of us were looking at our hands and thinking, "What would I take to give up the tips of these fingers?"

In the case of the military, if you're going to get cancer anyway, you'd be WELL advised to get the diagnosis while on active duty.  Of course you don't know you'll get cancer, and there are other considerations when it comes to being in the military, but with the health insurance situation these days, they should have that front and center, instead of relying on participants in forums about trash TV to educate/recruit people.

Your comments about Eric's eight years do make me wonder.  He looks like hell for someone who's 40, and obviously being sick can do that to a person.  So you might be on to something.

(And if I can ask just one more question--does the sickness or injury have to prevent you from ever performing your job again, or can it just be that you can't perform it because you're undergoing cancer treatment]

I dont know how to quote from one thread to another.

To answer the last question... Im not 100% sure of this answer, but Ill use myself as an example. I was diagnosed as HIV pos while on active duty in 1991. I was offered a full retirement as well,  it was AIDS.... in 1991.  If it had beem cancer it would have been different. It would have depended on the diagnosis and maybe even what that person wanted to do. If it looked terminal or hard to fight, it would probably get you a full medical retirement. If it was a treatable cancer and you wanted to try and stay in, you could try. I knew people who got cancer while in, got treatment and stayed. If their health deteriorated, they would be retired. So its a case by case situation.  Basically if its a treatable, temporary illness, they will try to keep you in.

Unless, they discover you are sick while in basic training. They can discharge you with nothing. We had a girl in basic discover she had cervical cancer. She was immediately discharged, same with the girl with narcolepsy. 

I must remind people though, that when one joins the military, one agrees to poternitally die for their country and as such, the government offers you things in return. Its also why  medical tests are so very very involved when you join. If you get sick or injured, they may have to cover you for life. The best way to get immediately discharged is for thm to discover you did not disclose an illness or injury.

Sadly, one more common  that you would think reason for a medical discharge for women in MST...... Military Sexual Trauma, rape or repeated sexual harrasment, usually of women.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 8
On 11/8/2018 at 5:24 PM, queenjen said:

I read that one just last year! And followed it with a few others, he's a good travel writer. I don't think about it too much,  but I have always tended to watch my feet when I walk. Mostly the venomous stuff here is fairly shy and retiring. We at least don't have brown snakes, which are vindictive and come after you. I kid you not. Pretty much everything else only bites you by accident. Or if it 'feels threatened'. Like if it's on your laundry floor and you step on it. I've got pictorial evidence of this stuff, believe me.

I know the nature is beautiful on your continent but what I really loved was The Prefects.  Effing awesome.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Owwwww ma leg said:

Being a Melbourne gal the first time I ever saw a snake was in Florida, Howevs spiders are a different story. You have never known fear until a huntsman has crawled on your lap whilst driving.

Florida is the Australia of America. Everything here is trying to kill you.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 11/7/2018 at 5:41 AM, queenjen said:

Canned laughter has become a special kind of hell for me!

Me, too.  It could be the missing reel from The Magnificent Ambersons, and if it had a laugh track, I'd say, "Nope."  And I used to watch shows with laugh tracks, but something flipped one day and I just can't do it any more. 

Thanks for the military info, @JennyMominFL.  The JAG Corps came recruiting when I was in law school, and I added up the commitment and thought, "I'll be 30 when I get out!  No, thanks."  What I failed to acknowledge was that I was going to become 30 anyway.  Oh well.  A friend of mine decided she wasn't interested because she didn't think she looked good in a hat.

Probably best we didn't join.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I was on TWOP too, but I can't remember my screen name even though I posted a lot. I got in trouble with the mods because of Kate Gosselin, sort of. I couldn't stand that woman and still can't.

My screen name is a little throwback to a fun time in my youth. At my age, there are a lot of memories. Glad to be here in the present with you all!

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Me, too.  It could be the missing reel from The Magnificent Ambersons, and if it had a laugh track, I'd say, "Nope."  And I used to watch shows with laugh tracks, but something flipped one day and I just can't do it any more. 

Thanks for the military info, @JennyMominFL.  The JAG Corps came recruiting when I was in law school, and I added up the commitment and thought, "I'll be 30 when I get out!  No, thanks."  What I failed to acknowledge was that I was going to become 30 anyway.  Oh well.  A friend of mine decided she wasn't interested because she didn't think she looked good in a hat.

Probably best we didn't join.

Hey, I excluded the Navy because I thought thy had the worst uniforms and I was told the Marines would not make me cut my hair. They were my only reasons for my choice, but they were memorable ones.

• Love 7

Watching too much tv... reminds me of an old Mad Magazine bit about sports on tv. They had a gallery of characters representing viewers and one was "Bronco the Gaper," a football fan who much resembled Mr. Renatae at the time. That would be a good screen name for him if only he would deign to watch 90D along with his just about 24/7 obsession with History Channel. Well, what else can I expect from a history/poli sci major?

• Love 1
On 11/7/2018 at 4:48 AM, Trackdawg said:

I was a TWoP addict going all the way back to '99, when it was still MBTV. Never got any mod warnings...though I did fall in love with Pamie on the Making The Band board and Jacob during the first couple seasons of his hilarious-yet-somehow-moving American Idol coverage. No BS: I used to copy/paste their recaps into Word and print them out on a laser printer to read at lunch or on the Stairmaster. Not sure if that makes me more ancient or pathetic.

Anyway, I was devastated when TWoP was shut down, slightly relieved when I discovered much of it saved on the Wayback Machine, and thrilled to find y'all here on PTV.

Oh yeah: same handle that I had for a decade+ over there...I guess because I've been called a dawg and I make tracks for a living, 

I discovered TWoP in 99 or 2000, when it was MBTV, too! Survivor brought me in to the fold, then there was Making the Band, American Idol, The Real World, Road Rules, The Amazing Race, Showbiz Moms and Dads, Sports Kids Moms and Dads, original recipe Queer Eye, Project Runway....so many!

On 11/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, OoogleEyes said:

I was on TWoP back in the day. I started with Showbiz Moms and Dads, and was a big fan of the Semi-Ho forum.

My name comes from watching too much TV ?

OH MY GOD the Semi-Ho forum gave me life! "Because she's drunk, honey". I would love to see some of those discussions again. That woman was a menace.

I've always had the same handle. Waving to all my old TWoP mates!

• Love 4

LOLOLOLLLL. I sautéd some canned side vegetables in BBQ sauce for supper because I didn’t like the way they looked out of the can and I figured it would loook tastier if it browned it up a bit because I make terrible life decisions like that...

2BEAD785-7193-4467-A53E-A512B593C75B.thumb.jpeg.441dbbd3c798eecc5dd8ccbe385244fd.jpeg

bUT NOW IT LOOKS LIKE DEBBIE’S BEEF STEW!!!! 😂😂🤣🤣🤣💛💛😂😂

B02AB27F-4B02-49CA-80D1-4F365EB8FDE7.thumb.jpeg.1d97862ebbcd3100ed29e04618c31a7a.jpeg

BF1006C9-8AF1-4019-877D-CE70759E3BB9.thumb.jpeg.03735d1b15ce2cb35ecfc2b65515c4bf.jpeg

59197153-E399-4C20-AC45-5E9070243EBB.thumb.jpeg.94761334de63baa5df7aa545a08acded.jpeg

Edited by CSS.MD
*THE can! 🥫
  • Love 3
On 11/7/2018 at 1:48 AM, Trackdawg said:

Did you happen to go to high school with Brett Kav....never mind. 

On 11/7/2018 at 3:31 AM, renatae said:

I have to confess ignorance to the reference?

Damn, it only took me two months to reply. Sorry! 

It was a really dumb joke. During the Supreme Court Senate confirmation hearings, it came out that Judge (now-Justice) Kavanaugh had a mysterious listing on his yearbook page that said he was a "Renate Alumnius", referencing a former classmate (in a very sophomoric sexual way, though he denies it and claimed it was innocent admiration). She pronounces it "Renata", and I guess the first few times I saw your handle, I thought of that.

• Love 2

In case no one knows about it yet, the best podcast EVER that covers this show (along with “Love After Lockup”) is called 90 Day Fiancé Cray Cray. 

The hosts, Kim & Kyle, are both equal parts intelligent, articulate and snarky.

Kyle is hysterical with his impressions, snark, zero tolerance for stupidity and is the standout host for me. (Kyle’s also an software engineer and his insight about Coltee’s disposition/personality is fascinating.)

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Bridget said:

In case no one knows about it yet, the best podcast EVER that covers this show (along with “Love After Lockup”) is called 90 Day Fiancé Cray Cray. 

Kyle is hysterical with his impressions, snark, zero tolerance for stupidity and is the standout host for me. (Kyle’s also an software engineer and his insight about Coltee’s disposition/personality is fascinating.)

Thanks for this!  I haven't heard of this, but appreciate it.....just subscribed!

• Love 2
On 12/29/2018 at 2:08 AM, Bridget said:

Everyone her needs to go watch Love After Lockup.. And Drogo moderates the forum too

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 3

I hope this hasn't been discussed before, but I took it upon myself to do some research on our beloved Sgt. Baker, whose water heater leak rocked his world. We've missed him during commercial time. Anyway, I think this is the same guy: https://www.instagram.com/richbakerrealestate/ The name is the same, the marine photos are there, the hairline and the slightly wonky right ear match, and the New York accent is right. Is selling high-priced properties Sgt. Baker's day job?

Here's another photo: https://www.instagram.com/nodonutshere/p/BpmcWE4nkoH/

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

I hope this hasn't been discussed before, but I took it upon myself to do some research on our beloved Sgt. Baker, whose water heater leak rocked his world. We've missed him during commercial time. Anyway, I think this is the same guy: https://www.instagram.com/richbakerrealestate/ The name is the same, the marine photos are there, the hairline and the slightly wonky right ear match, and the New York accent is right. Is selling high-priced properties Sgt. Baker's day job?

Here's another photo: https://www.instagram.com/nodonutshere/p/BpmcWE4nkoH/

YES! That's him!  Well done, @BradandJanet!!!!  I'll admit, I was scrolling looking for pics of the busted water heater. 

• Love 3

@renatae -- that's so funny, I had a friend years back and sometimes she would just randomly go stand in the corner of a room.

We had no idea what she was doing, but apparently she was standing in a corner to pass gas unnoticed.

4 hours ago, magemaud said:

Don’t forget TLC thinks we stupidly believe everything they show us as the truth and don’t question anything. The Tell All was filmed in November and much of the BS producer driven manipulation came to light after that. We only know what really happened through spoilers  

On another topic, WHAT AM I GOING TO DO TOMORROW NIGHT WITHOUT MY FAVORITE SNARKATHON? 

What’s everybody else doing? 

Right now I'm watching the fyre festival documentary, but I want to find that love after lockup show.  I know that reality TV only documents the worse situations but I do enjoy some trainwreck TV.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RealReality10 said:

Right now I'm watching the fyre festival documentary, but I want to find that love after lockup show.  I know that reality TV only documents the worse situations but I do enjoy some trainwreck TV.

I saw a little bit of Love After Lockup on Demand last night when I couldn't find anything else to watch. Definite potential to replace the 90 Day void in my life. (How sad is that!) 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, magemaud said:

I saw a little bit of Love After Lockup on Demand last night when I couldn't find anything else to watch. Definite potential to replace the 90 Day void in my life. (How sad is that!) 

Anything but that awful looking Sister Wives. That guy Cole or whatever looks like a brute.

I'm definitely already missing the 90 Day Wonders and live chat.

• Love 5
On 1/19/2019 at 6:58 PM, magemaud said:

The Love after Lockup crew welcome you. 

44007377.png

• Love 5
56 minutes ago, renatae said:

I'm definitely already missing the 90 Day Wonders and live chat.

Here it is a few minutes before 8:00 and I'm totally LOST without a new episode of 90 Day Madness and the live chat! I feel like my best friend has moved away and left me behind. I refuse to waste any brain cells on those awful Sister Wife shows, so I guess I'll go back to PBS and "Victoria", a lovely show but nothing that people are going to tear apart and snark about. 

What are the rest of you guys doing/watching tonight? 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, magemaud said:

Here it is a few minutes before 8:00 and I'm totally LOST without a new episode of 90 Day Madness and the live chat! I feel like my best friend has moved away and left me behind. I refuse to waste any brain cells on those awful Sister Wife shows, so I guess I'll go back to PBS and "Victoria", a lovely show but nothing that people are going to tear apart and snark about. 

What are the rest of you guys doing/watching tonight? 

Victoria is a beautiful show, but yeah you're not going to get the juicy snark on a show about beautiful people who rule a country.  

I saw about two seconds of a guys crusty foot on Dr. Pimple popper and I don't think I can do that show.  

Ive been watching narcos Mexico.

Edited by RealReality10
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, RealReality10 said:

I saw about two seconds of a guys crusty foot on Dr. Pimple popper and I don't think I can do that show. 

I might get so desperate I’ll tune in for Jazz’s long anticipated “bottom surgery.” 

I did see an article on my iPad newsfeed that Darcey is in NYC filming the new “90 Days the Other Way” spin-off with her latest European love interest. NOT going to watch that one! 

Edited to add: I swore I wouldn’t do this, but while I was channel surfing I caught a few minutes of “Seeking Sister Wife.” There’s a family with a rather creepy husband who speaks very slowly and calmly. I was stunned when he introduced himself as “Colton.” 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4

I had no idea what to do last night.  I caught up on Grace & Frankie S4, and next weekend I'll dive into S5.   By then, we should be seeing promo for 90DF - Tell All about the Tell All ft. Shaun Robinson where it's just her staring into the camera while they replay previous season's clips on repeat.  

(I just made that show up but I'd bet the idea for it was somehow kicked around the TLC tables because why not milk it for all they can)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ALittleShelfish said:

I had no idea what to do last night.  I caught up on Grace & Frankie S4, and next weekend I'll dive into S5.   By then, we should be seeing promo for 90DF - Tell All about the Tell All ft. Shaun Robinson where it's just her staring into the camera while they replay previous season's clips on repeat.  

(I just made that show up but I'd bet the idea for it was somehow kicked around the TLC tables because why not milk it for all they can)

Great idea! Maybe they could do a Tell All with the giantess asking Shaun what she was thinking while they show clips.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

90DF - Tell All about the Tell Al

or 90DF - Tell Nothing about the Tell Nothing

I finished watching the 3rd season of "Man in the High Castle" last night, then I had nightmares! 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, magemaud said:

I did see an article on my iPad newsfeed that Darcey is in NYC filming the new “90 Days the Other Way” spin-off with her latest European love interest. NOT going to watch that one! 

I'll be front row center for that, I hope Jesse makes a guest appearance! (I need to work on myself, babe.)

• Love 2

Part of my wonderful retiree life involves playing Microsoft solitaire games every morning while I drink my coffee and catch up with you.

Yesterday and today, there is a recurring advertisement that shows up on the screen.  Big Brother is watching me and knows I read this board and watch the show.  Fortunately, I don't need the services of this company.

Capture.JPG

• LOL 5
On 7/3/2019 at 9:39 AM, AZChristian said:

Part of my wonderful retiree life involves playing Microsoft solitaire games every morning while I drink my coffee and catch up with you.

Yesterday and today, there is a recurring advertisement that shows up on the screen.  Big Brother is watching me and knows I read this board and watch the show.  Fortunately, I don't need the services of this company.

Capture.JPG

I used to get a lot of ads for gay cruises on this forum. Not sure what to make of that.

• LOL 5

I think the most recent episode crossed the line from wacky entertainment to unacceptable for me.  It's been fun chatting with you all, but I'm out . . . and deleting it from my list of shows I follow.

Had to do this a few months back for Twitney Thore, and have survived without her.  Now I just have a whole new bunch of free time, and will add to that by quitting the 90-Day franchise shows as well.

The original premise was interesting - couples who met and fell in love with someone from another country on vacation, and the transition of lifestyle for folks who moved here.  Now it's just "If I'm outrageous, I'll get more screen time."

Nope.  Done.

But I still love you all!

• Love 5