Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E13: Regé-Jean Page / Bad Bunny

• Start Topic

So, I've never seen Bridgerton and most of the swooning over the character RJP plays in it went right by me. The actor does seem very charming though and it's nice that he has a sense of humor about the whole thing. (I am now very intrigued though by whatever happened in episode five, 52 minutes in. Might have to break my "no more Shondaland period dramas" rule and watch the series.)

That British accent sketch reminded me of when Alfred Enoch of Harry Potter and HTGAWM fame was on Wendy Williams' show and she acted so befuddled by his natural British accent that she made him switch to an American accent for most of the interview. He handled it gracefully though and she looked like a complete idiot.

Bad Bunny should release that Loco song. It has a good beat and it's easy to dance to. 😉

I don't get the big deal about "driver's license" either. The first time I heard it I indeed thought it was Billie Eilish making lowkey fun of Taylor Swift. Anyway, what was Kate supposed to be in that sketch, some old Italian guy? What was the joke?

Cecily was giving me Liza Minnelli vibes in that Mr. Chicken Legs sketch.

Not a fan of Pete's fried blond hair. Is that for a role? And I hope he was joking about moving out of his mom's place. Staying with her is probably the main reason why he's not in the clutches of substance abuse. I always notice how clear his eyes are now.

Wow, I think that Krispy Kreme Mars vs Uranus joke could be seen coming down Broadway.

The sea shanty bit was hilarious. I especially liked Bowen as a ginger. But Kate trotting out yet another accent? Yawn.

A prayer- and dance-off with a Soul Train line. Okay. Someone must've been watching Mixed-ish last week because a lot of it was about Black vs. White churches.

"I burn for you" is actually a line from Bridgerton? Heh, they should get Sting to do a cameo.

I thought they were going to have Kenan come out as Idris Elba to be the third hot British actor who plays American.

I did too and was ready to hop on a plane to NYC and cut somebody. 😉 I think even Kenan knew better than to try to pretend like he was the hotness that is Idris Elba.

• Love 1

What happened in Episode 5, 52 minutes in:

Spoiler

He drops trou and we get to see his bare ass

But the "Drivers License" skit reminded me of the time I was teaching and there was a lot of negative energy in the room so I had the whole class sing along to "Someone Like Me" and the boys bawled it out and everyone was in their feelings and I was able to continue with my lesson.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Much like Christopher Walken’s plants? 

My favorite all time SNL skit. Thx! 

My line of the night was Pete Davidson saying Colin lived in Pepperidge Farms.

Edited by Quickbeam
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, helenamonster said:

This is also the second week in a row that they've sorta kinda defended Gina Carano? Look, I'm no fan of Disney as a corporation and definitely don't think they've earned any moral highground, but the woman is trash. Was she supposed to host later this season or something? What are we doing here?

I don't think she's trash.

6 hours ago, laugard said:

Ah, I did think of the cha cha cha sketch, especially when they pulled out the fans lol. I love that one and think it's perhaps under appreciated or somewhat overlooked due to the splashier Broadway sketches John Mulaney has done.

Cha cha slide is my favorite sketch of the last several years. If it shows up in the sidebar on YouTube, I have to click it, every time. 

• Love 7

That LOUD and ANNOYING (continually annoying) audience.  Were they Rege-Jean's fans or Bad Bunny's?

Hope they're never there (together) again.  The teenage shrieking was too much.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:09 PM, GoldenGirl90 said:

I now understand the excitement from the audience tonight lol.

image.png.9b666c96b27db4604df66c3ce44ff02e.png

8 hours ago, laugard said:

Ah, I did think of the cha cha cha sketch, especially when they pulled out the fans lol. I love that one and think it's perhaps under appreciated or somewhat overlooked due to the splashier Broadway sketches John Mulaney has done. But it makes sense if they share some of the same writers as they both had fun "from the culture" moments, but warm ones too. I also thought the sketch might end with an offensive remark or take a mocking tone, and was so pleased it didn't. In addition to Beck's dancing, Chris and Rege-Jean jumping in to join him at the end was great.

Watching Andrew Dismukes more reminds me of what I thought during The Teacher sketch—some of his mannerisms and way of speaking reminds me of a cross between John Mulaney and Andy Samberg. I'm don't think I've seen anything yet where he's really leading the skit, but I'm glad he's getting more opportunities (or writing them for himself).

He does remind me a lot of Mulaney, particularly his reactions. The vagina monologue sketch and the sea shanty sketch were very reminiscent of Mulaney, although not enough to feel like a ripoff. If Andrew is brought back next season, I hope we might get to see more of his own voice. Right now, that probably wouldn't get ono the air. The most I can go by is a few of the sketches he co-wrote in his years as a writer for the show.

8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if part of Pete “inhabiting” his Cuomo impersonation so completely was a bit of type casting —an angry sad sack with a bit of a New Yawk accent?  
Time will tell —if Pete continues to do as well with different types.
Conversely, I have to assume that Aidy’s personality does not in any way mirror that of Cancún Cruz. 

I would say that's probably the case (about Pete), although his energy and delivery were what really sold it. 

That's true about Cruz. I don't think anyone on the show has ever known what to do with the impression of him, but I get that this week they pretty much had to cover him.

• Love 4

Gina Carano is a terrible actress. You have to remember that she was a female MMA fighter before Star Wars. I don't get the defense of Gina on SNL.....

I hardly doubt she would have been a good host for SNL.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
On 2/21/2021 at 12:39 AM, GoldenGirl90 said:

Lol the skits have been so silly tonight and I’m enjoying it.

Also this is the least amount of skits Kate has been in in awhile it seems.

That's why the show seemed more enjoyable to me.  And she didn't even need to be in the Driver's License sketch . . .

• Love 3
22 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Yes Pete was MVP for sure.  His Jack Skellington dancing!  

@Peace 47 what is your avatar?  A ball and a chair?

The writing was still pretty bad, but it felt like improv with the silliness going over the top in many of the sketches.  I think that’s why it was funny, to me.

Same- I have heard of bad bunny so I gave him a chance but the girl’s nail were so gross.  Ffwd.  And someone mentioned that she’s famous, I have not heard of her, and I hope to never hear her again.

They used to have great musical guests.  When did it change?

speaking for myself - they didn't change, I did....I got older.  🙂

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Yeah, that shrieking was terrible from the audience. It's like when Justin Timberlake was there during his hosting years and everyone was screaming their lungs out at every little thing. It does get annoying quick and I am worried about this week with....NICK JONAS!!! Prepare another round of screaming fans because it's not over till we say it's over.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

Yeah, that shrieking was terrible from the audience. It's like when Justin Timberlake was there during his hosting years and everyone was screaming their lungs out at every little thing. It does get annoying quick and I am worried about this week with....NICK JONAS!!! Prepare another round of screaming fans because it's not over till we say it's over.

Jonas has been a name since the mid '00s so I think the reaction may not be as loud, but I don't mind the hooting and hollering unless it gets in the way of sketches or unless I feel like the host is pandering and desperate (as Timberlake often was to me). Considering the quieter audiences this season and how demoralized several in the cast have seemed to be over that, I think of it is as something of a brief boost for their enthusiasm. I doubt it was the only reason, but the performances seemed to be a bit fresher acrossthe board this week.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Jonas has been a name since the mid '00s so I think the reaction may not be as loud, but I don't mind the hooting and hollering unless it gets in the way of sketches or unless I feel like the host is pandering and desperate (as Timberlake often was to me). Considering the quieter audiences this season and how demoralized several in the cast have seemed to be over that, I think of it is as something of a brief boost for their enthusiasm. I doubt it was the only reason, but the performances seemed to be a bit fresher acrossthe board this week.

I like that, except perhaps for the monologue (where the screaming was sort of expected and solicited), the cast and host powered through the screaming without letting it go on very long. They just kept right on with their next line. So the screaming wasn't too irritating for me.

I think part of why I enjoyed this episode so much was how good-natured it was. A lot of the sketches seemed primed for conflict (saying grace, the job interview, intimacy coordinator, and Driver's License) but ended up subverting it or avoiding it entirely. Even the sea shanty one, aside from Andrew's growing dismay, was a bunch of cheerful guys thoroughly enjoying themselves (against all logical evidence lol).

Not that any episodes are usually full of laughs for me but this is the first time I can recall that I didn't find anything funny, not even during "Weekend Update," which I can at least always count on. Maybe it's because I ended up fast-forwarding through about half of the sketches but that wasn't until I'd watched at least a 1/3 of a skit and it wasn't getting any better. Also annoyed by screaming/swooning from the audience (he did nothing for me) and, even worse, no Melissa. 😒 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1

Pretty nice of CBS to lend them the "2 Broke Girls" audience I guess.

Drunk Bachelorette energy in the audience aside, this was one of the best episodes of recent years for me. I knew nothing about the host but enjoyed him, and the whole show. Similar to how I felt about Josh Hutcherson when he hosted. In both cases they embraced the weird and I appreciated it.

Normally each week, there's a sketch and the cold open I see get shared around in the coming days. This week I've seen at least 5 sketches get shared, which is pretty remarkable. 

• Love 3

Funny episode!! 

And Pete is actually very funny! I really didn't understand that until now.

The show was very male-heavy, I thought. Except for "Britney" and Loco, it felt like a lot of dude energy with a few slight female glimmers sprinkled in. Though I will also say that I loved Aidy as Cruz this week. 

I didn't even get that they were defending what's her name in the "apology" talk show sketch. I mean, this week "not being as bad as Ted Cruz" is hardly a full-throated endorsement.  

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Gina Carano is a terrible actress. You have to remember that she was a female MMA fighter before Star Wars. I don't get the defense of Gina on SNL.....

I hardly doubt she would have been a good host for SNL.

In fairness, Dwayne Johnson also started in the ring, but then again, he's got a few things she doesn't, like charm, personality, star quality and especially talent, which is the difference between being a member of the Five-Timers Club and just another punchline.

When it comes to potential SNL hosts from The Mandalorian, IMO, they're not picking Gina Carano over Pedro Pascal, aka the star of the show who's not named Grogu.

As for the rest of the Cold Open, "The Britney Spears Show" was funny, as were the draggings of Ted Cruz and Gov. Cuomo.

(BTW, with all due respect, I think you meant "highly" doubt, not "hardly" doubt.)

• Love 4
On 2/22/2021 at 3:18 AM, Pete Martell said:

I would say that's probably the case (about Pete), although his energy and delivery were what really sold it. 

That's true about Cruz. I don't think anyone on the show has ever known what to do with the impression of him, but I get that this week they pretty much had to cover him.

Ted Cruz is deceptively hard. Aidy did what she could with it, but it's hard to really capture the Ick factor. Sadly he does seem universally disliked. It's even a running joke how unpopular he is in the Senate. Just saying.  It's going to take a completely committed performance and a willingness to go there to get it right.

I'll have to watch Pete again as Cuomo. I thought it was merely adequate at the time and nothing really to write home about. I think I was stunned they gave him another political impression. But it really does show how he's grown on the show and is a total team player now. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

This is also the second week in a row that they've sorta kinda defended Gina Carano? Look, I'm no fan of Disney as a corporation and definitely don't think they've earned any moral highground, but the woman is trash. Was she supposed to host later this season or something? What are we doing here?

I think her skills are limited enough for her to work well enough in her role on The Mandalorian, but good enough to host this show? Not bloody likely. Granted, if people like Justin Timberlake can...

But yeah, she is trash.

Have you seen the people coming in from Mexico these days? *shows image of Ted Cruz*

Bwahahahahaha!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DollEyes said:

In fairness, Dwayne Johnson also started in the ring, but then again, he's got a few things she doesn't, like charm, personality, star quality and especially talent, which is the difference between being a member of the Five-Timers Club and just another punchline.

When it comes to potential SNL hosts from The Mandalorian, IMO, they're not picking Gina Carano over Pedro Pascal, aka the star of the show who's not named Grogu.

As for the rest of the Cold Open, "The Britney Spears Show" was funny, as were the draggings of Ted Cruz and Gov. Cuomo.

(BTW, with all due respect, I think you meant "highly" doubt, not "hardly" doubt.)

I did. Minor mistake.

• Love 2
On 2/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, tracyscott76 said:

I like that, except perhaps for the monologue (where the screaming was sort of expected and solicited), the cast and host powered through the screaming without letting it go on very long. They just kept right on with their next line. So the screaming wasn't too irritating for me.

If I prayed, I'd pray that you're in a vast minority; otherwise, we'll be subjected to that shrieking more often...just so Lorne Michaels can prove he has really appreciative audiences.  (Bolding above is mine)

19 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder if the SNL costume department custom makes some of the clothes used on the show, and that's why it's hard to find them elsewhere?

I Thought I Would Let You Know That That Is The Wardrobe Department !

• Useful 1
On 2/20/2021 at 11:35 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wow, I'm only like, 3 sketches deep but I'm really impressed with the show and Regé-Jean so far.  I don't even watch "Bridgerton".

I thought they were going to have Kenan come out as Idris Elba to be the third hot British actor who plays American.  😄

I think that the audience is full of SNL, Regé-Jean and Bad Bunny fangirls which is really good for the energy.

Also, it feels like Pete is really killing it the past couple of episodes.  First Weed Gummy, now this???

I'm rewinding to watch the "Driver's License" sketch again.  I don't even like that song!  😁

Are you guys witnessing Regé-Jean in the "Driver's License" sketch?!?!?!  He looks like he doesn't even use cue cards.  He acts like one of the cast, not even like the host.  I'm kind of blown away.

First, Pete Was The Weed Gummy ! Then, Pete Was The Grinch ! Now, Pete is Mr. Chicken Legs And Andrew Cuomo And Being The Relationship Expert !

On 2/20/2021 at 11:39 PM, GoldenGirl90 said:

Lol the skits have been so silly tonight and I’m enjoying it.

Also this is the least amount of skits Kate has been in in awhile it seems.

I Think Kate Was In More Sketches Than Cecily ! I Think Kate Was In Maybe Three Sketches And Cecily May Have Only Done Mr. Chicken Legs So Kate Was In 3 And Cecily 1 Sketch ! ! 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, Fostersmom said:

Has Not Aidy been in any sketches tonight? I think I've seen everyone else but her. 

Was Melissa In The Cold Opening With The Black Wig ? I Thought That Was Cecily, But , I Didn't Think That Looked Quite Like Cecily !