Type keyword(s) to search

Buried By The Bernards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm in love with this sweet show! Maybe 10 years ago, there was another candid reality about a funeral home, but it didn't have the heart this does. There's no such thing as a "real" reality show anymore, but this doesn't seem heavily scripted. I love everyone on this show, but Kevin and Deja are probably my favorites. The apprentice, Tavion, is a doll! Such a kind heart!

Here's an article from Oprah Magazine about what the sisters have been up to since the show was shot (mildly spoilery).

My hometown also has a funeral home with a drive-through window. It's been there for decades!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 10:22 PM, bilgistic said:

I'm in love with this sweet show! Maybe 10 years ago, there was another candid reality about a funeral home, but it didn't have the heart this does.

Best Funeral Ever. That show irked me so much I had to look it up to double check that it wasn't the same family or company when I saw this on Netflix. Good to know Buried By the Bernards is different.

• Love 2

The one I'm thinking about had white people in a very traditional funeral home. I particularly remember one of the funeral directors, who had a distinct Dwight Schrute vibe, making a "thing" out of eating "dinner" food for breakfast.

I just found it. It was called Family Plots.

Though I admit I also watched Best Funeral Ever and I'm now watching The Casketeers, because I apparently can't get enough of shows about funeral homes. Not to mention Six Feet Under.

• Love 2

As a funeral director I always check out any shows that are about the business. Six Feet Under was one of my favorites since it was mostly realistic about the day-to-day life. Family Plots was silly to me-just a bunch of people arguing all the time. Best Funeral Ever was not my jam but I watched all of The Casketeers and was fascinated by how people in different countries take care of their dead. Plus Francis seems to be so kind and has a great eye for detail. Now I started to watch Buried by the Bernards and after 20 minutes had to turn it off because it turned ME off- if this is how their business is run I would not release my loved one into their care. The daughters are sulky and obviously don't want to be there or go into the business, the Grandma(?) is too bossy and I hope they are just in it for the money because they are no way professional. Our industry has a hard enough time garnering respect from the public since many people think we are just in it for the money. Shows like this do nothing to change the public's mind on who we are or what we do-that is to care for the dead in a respectful manner and try to help the grieving families through a very hard time in their lives. Of course, seeing the real thing would be boring, I'm sure, but this show is not for me.

• Love 2

Aw, I wish you had watched more. They sell a basic funeral package for under $1900, and one episode had Debbie (Ryan's mother/Deja and Reagan's grandmother) seriously discounting services for a family in need...which led to some manufactured drama about who the "boss" is in the business and who is "allowed" to discount services, but still. Ryan especially seems to really care about his business—as do Uncle Kevin and some other behind-the-scenes staff—and it seems that they fill a very needed service for a lower-income clientele in Memphis. There's such a dearth of positive media about Black families, so I relished this. The father-daughter relationship between Ryan and Deja was especially touching.

Younger daughter Reagan was still in high school at the time this was filmed, so I'm sure this was her part-time job, and she established that she wasn't at all interested in inheriting the business. Per the Oprah Magazine article, she's currently 18 and going to nursing school. Deja, 25, has been working in the business longer. She is planning to get her funeral director license while also pursuing a journalism degree. She had a baby while the show was filmed and also has a four-year-old daughter, so she has a lot going on.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

There is also a show about a funeral home in New Zealand called the Casketeers. It has primarily Maori funerals. It is also very good and has a lot of heart. It's on netflix as well.

I think this show is so sweet, I love the Grandma and Uncle Kevin!

• Love 2

While I'm sure they're amping up the drama for tv, there's something really warm and endearing about the Bernards . . . so far. Of course, with my luck,  they'll get another season and Flanderize themselves into obnoxiousness. Until then, I'll enjoy seeing the family bicker good-naturedly.

• Love 2

I love this show. I just want to hug Tavion. I love that both daughters hover close to the line of being spoiled without actually being disrespectful or unpleasant. Deja's boyfriend seemed like a really nice guy too.

It's so funny how they treat Ryan being a "player" back in the day as scandalous.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, bilgistic said:

The one I'm thinking about had white people in a very traditional funeral home. I particularly remember one of the funeral directors, who had a distinct Dwight Schrute vibe, making a "thing" out of eating "dinner" food for breakfast.

I just found it. It was called Family Plots.

Though I admit I also watched Best Funeral Ever and I'm now watching The Casketeers, because I apparently can't get enough of shows about funeral homes. Not to mention Six Feet Under.

Oh wow, I didn't realize there were so many family funeral business shows out there. I did take a look at the Bernards; they seem much more charming than the Best Funeral folks.

• Love 1