Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Food and Drink

• Start Topic

On 2/14/2021 at 11:59 AM, Beeyago said:

My only complaint was that the segments were too short.

Definitely too short.  Overall, it felt a little choppy, and I would have liked to have seen more.  It was fun, though, and gorgeously shot.  

Also, WTF did Sam find on the boat?  What creature was that?

• Love 2
On 2/14/2021 at 8:17 AM, cardigirl said:

It's a really great episode. I enjoyed it very much. Starz continues their practice of dropping episodes at midnight onto the on demand app. 

I really want to revisit Scotland now.

I have always wanted to visit! 

3 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Definitely too short.  Overall, it felt a little choppy, and I would have liked to have seen more.  It was fun, though, and gorgeously shot.  

I assume they filmed a bunch of stuff & then had to fit the bits into the appropriate theme with time restraints. 

Sam was adorable, but I thought all the quippy bits felt quite scripted! 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Cdh20 said:

I assume they filmed a bunch of stuff & then had to fit the bits into the appropriate theme with time restraints. 

Sam was adorable, but I thought all the quippy bits felt quite scripted! 

Yes, the layout of the show wasn't quite what I had anticipated.  I thought it would be less about theme and more about place.  For instance, it would be like today Sam and Graham go to X place and tell us all about it.  I think trying to parse out all of the various locations into themes made it seem a bit disjointed.  

Also yes, the jokes seemed a bit rehearsed.  Maybe they were organic initially, but by the 5th time the joke was filmed it had lost its spontaneity.  

I feel like I'm being too critical, because I did really like it.  Graham has a certain charm to him.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Completely agree. That’s exactly what I thought. The guys were fun, it was very beautiful scenery but felt very choppy - that’s the perfect word. It will be interesting to see if the other episodes have a similar feel or if it was just this first one. 

And Diana Gabaldon said on Twitter she thinks what Sam threw back into the water was a closed-up anemone. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Yes, the layout of the show wasn't quite what I had anticipated.  I thought it would be less about theme and more about place.  For instance, it would be like today Sam and Graham go to X place and tell us all about it.  I think trying to parse out all of the various locations into themes made it seem a bit disjointed.  

Me too!!  That’s exactly what I was expecting!!  That they would spend the episode in one place exploring that area.  In general I’m surprised STARZ didn’t push for hourlong episodes, a 30 min show doesn’t even seem like it would fit their platform. But yes, I too don’t want to be too critical. It was fun and different and it was Sam’s first attempt at a tv show, doing everything start to finish.  And he’s an actor not a travel show host so I had to remind myself just to enjoy the entertainment factor. Lol

Edited by Beeyago
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Beeyago said:

In general I’m surprised STARZ didn’t push for hourlong episodes, a 30 min show doesn’t even seem like it would fit their platform.

Could and should have definitely been a full hour.  

5 minutes ago, Cdh20 said:

My guess is the "theme" theme came from Starz when they bought the show! 

This makes a lot of sense.  I haven't read the book yet, but I do recall you saying it was quite funny.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SassAndSnacks said:

Could and should have definitely been a full hour.  

This makes a lot of sense.  I haven't read the book yet, but I do recall you saying it was quite funny.  

The book is amusing. It’s an unusual mix of history lessons, mixed with personal & professional tidbits from the actors. The chapters go back & forth with POV. The book seemed more personal than the show ( I noted only Sam threw in a ‘ I lived in Edinburgh as a teen”, nothing from Graham). I’ve always felt Sam has kept his life very private, so I did enjoy finding out about his life in the book. ( and Graham’s too). 

We do watch a lot of travel shows & they are usually 1/2 hour long. 

I bought both the hard copy and audio versions and have yet to read/listen to them. Lol. I started listening to the audiobook but kept getting distracted. I need to restart it. But I agree, it seemed really interesting to hear about their adventures and also their back-stories. I know more about Sam than Graham. 

Here’s something Sam posted on Twitter. Didn’t make the show’s cut I guess. Lol. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2021 at 11:36 PM, isalicat said:

Exactly - too short but otherwise delightful! I've been to Scotland twice and wish I was there now....eating scallops!

Been there a couple of times. Stunning in person.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I've only been to Scotland once, but this show definitely makes me want to go back!!

I have been to Scotland once (April 2019) and I fell in love. The air is so CLEAN, and the smell. It smells like WI air only better! (Im a Chicagoan) 

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have been to Scotland once (April 2019) and I fell in love. The air is so CLEAN, and the smell. It smells like WI air only better! (Im a Chicagoan) 

I went before I discovered Outlander, maybe in 2016?  I can't remember the exact year (that's sad), but I didn't know much about it.  But yes, it was all so beautiful!  We stayed in Edinburgh for a few days and then to Inverness and Glasgow... I would move there in a heartbeat if I could!

• Love 1