Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Revelations

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I don't think the fact she dated Nolan means she has daddy issues.  John is a nice, funny, nice-looking man who is honest and sweet.  When I was younger, more than once I was attracted to and dated men that were older than me.  It wasn't about daddy issues, it was about a level of maturity that guys my age didn't seem to possess.  And, both she and John needed it explained about why it wasn't a good idea.  It's also not like she has continued to date older men.  Come to think of it, wasn't she dating an EMT or something last season?

I'm curious to see how the post-rookie careers play out.  John will continue to be on patrol because his goal is now to be a training officer, so that takes care of him.  What about Chen and West?  Will they just move into normal patrol duty while Bradford and Nyla get new boots?  Will some of the cast be leaving?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mrs. Stanwyck said:

I'm curious to see how the post-rookie careers play out.  John will continue to be on patrol because his goal is now to be a training officer, so that takes care of him.  What about Chen and West?  Will they just move into normal patrol duty while Bradford and Nyla get new boots?  Will some of the cast be leaving?

Well Officer Bradford already turned down being bumped above others for a Sergeant's position to finish training Officer Chin. Just like Commander Riker on Star Trek TNG.

And real life you would think in working some other detective assignment than undercover or homicide that as a detective Harper could have a better Monday through Friday golden ticket than traded shifts so a boot gets day and night training 

• Love 2
On 2/21/2021 at 11:14 PM, LadyNebula said:

As soon as LA Mountie showed up, I called that he'd be the new love interest. 

I actually really enjoyed this episode.  Was it realistic?  Of course not. But it held my attention throughout, and I already like LA Mountie better than the actor boyfriend. 

I have to wonder, is this some kind of inside joke? Because, wink wink, Daniel Lissing used to play a Mountie...

On 3/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, ctlady said:

What a bunch of insistent, self-righteous little snots.  Nolan owes NO ONE an explanation as to his identity.  But now that they know I can't tell if they're going to tone down or amp up the anti-police rhetoric.

I agree that they were annoying, but I think that the show was trying to depict the voices of a lot of real life young people these days. (To me, they basically sounded like they were parroting what they read on Twitter, but if you really asked them for explanations of their thoughts or engaged them in more back and forth, they likely would be at a loss.)

(That said, I'm not saying there aren't important issues that need tackling in the police department; I just also think that - like with many other current hot topics - some people like to be mouthpieces of what they think is the "right" thing to say versus giving the issue any real thought.)

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

(That said, I'm not saying there aren't important issues that need tackling in the police department; I just also think that - like with many other current hot topics - some people like to be mouthpieces of what they think is the "right" thing to say versus giving the issue any real thought.)

Yes.  So much this.  Dealt with exactly this today with two people regarding masks.  

On 2/23/2021 at 7:16 AM, Moose135 said:

The hat really threw me, maybe it is an LA thing. The mounted units I'm most familiar with - NYPD and Nassau County on Long Island - always wore helmets while riding.

Wasn't the sign outside something like "Women in uncover"? I took it as a session geared towards female officers interested in undercover work to give them a look at some of the unique issues they could find themselves facing, so I would expect it to be all women in the audience.

When Nolan asked Sgt. Grey (I think) about it, he said he needed 4 years on the job, or 2 years if he had a college degree, which is why Nolan is going back to school. That does seem like a fairly low amount of experience to start training other new officers. And wasn't it just a few episodes ago when Grey told Nolan to forget about becoming a detective because of his reprimand, how every senior officer in the department would know and remember it? If that was such a serious offense, wouldn't that also preclude his becoming a TO?

I don't live in the US so this seems really strange to me. Can you actually get s college degree in less than 2 years in only evening classes in the US? That seems crazy. Here it is a minimum of 3 years full time. And even if he had let's say 2 years from a prior colledge and could transfere some credits, I can't see how he could transfere all of them as I suspect he has to follow specific courses in any cases. If he did art and history, I can't see that those credits will be transferrable. So why is he doing a night class rather than 4 years on the job where he would at least get real experience?

On 4/12/2021 at 10:19 AM, Rorosi said:

I don't live in the US so this seems really strange to me. Can you actually get s college degree in less than 2 years in only evening classes in the US? 

That depends on if he is going for an Associate's Degree or a Bachelor's Degree. Did they say on the show which one was necessary? 

1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

That depends on if he is going for an Associate's Degree or a Bachelor's Degree. Did they say on the show which one was necessary? 

I think Nolan had a couple of years of college under his belt (though I'm not sure). I think he was told he needed a bachelor's. Though from my college experience, a small class like that was more community college sized than university sized. Of course, he can always transfer credits.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, Clanstarling said:

I think Nolan had a couple of years of college under his belt (though I'm not sure). I think he was told he needed a bachelor's. Though from my college experience, a small class like that was more community college sized than university sized. Of course, he can always transfer credits.

I know with the colleges I went to, they all said that you must complete a degree within 10 years or else credits do not count.

Most of them had a caveat for, I think an NJ specific rule, where if the credits were taken pre-1988, they had to be counted no matter how long it took for you to go back to college. However, Nolan's kid is... 19? Let's say the show is in 2019 - so a year after it premiered, that would make Henry's year of birth 1999.

• Useful 1
19 hours ago, bros402 said:

I know with the colleges I went to, they all said that you must complete a degree within 10 years or else credits do not count.

Most of them had a caveat for, I think an NJ specific rule, where if the credits were taken pre-1988, they had to be counted no matter how long it took for you to go back to college. However, Nolan's kid is... 19? Let's say the show is in 2019 - so a year after it premiered, that would make Henry's year of birth 1999.

This is very true. My assumption is that the show is ignoring that.

• Love 2
On 4/14/2021 at 12:43 PM, eel21788 said:

FWIW-- life experience.

When my sister went to university for a Bachelor of Science /Nursing degree at 37, she was given all of her Grade Thirteen (equivalent to first year university) credits except Chemistry and Biology as Life Experience. As it was explained to her, "You have three sons. You are not going to faint at the sight of blood or puke at changing a shitty diaper."
She got her degree in two years and spent the next 25 years as a nurse, nurse manager, case manager, and supervised the building of a palliative care ward as well as working for Veterans' Affairs.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

FWIW-- life experience.

When my sister went to university for a Bachelor of Science /Nursing degree at 37, she was given all of her Grade Thirteen (equivalent to first year university) credits except Chemistry and Biology as Life Experience. As it was explained to her, "You have three sons. You are not going to faint at the sight of blood or puke at changing a shitty diaper."
She got her degree in two years and spent the next 25 years as a nurse, nurse manager, case manager, and supervised the building of a palliative care ward as well as working for Veterans' Affairs.

I was going to ask where that was, but then I realized it was 25+ years ago and might not still be permitted at that institution. 
It varies quite a bit, I'm sure.
Actually, I know. 
My oldest daughter never completed the one class she needed to get her Bachelor's degree in 2001, so I looked into it a couple of times. 
Plus, I went back and finished my degree 20 years after I dropped out my sophomore year.
And then I wound up working for 19 years at the college my sister dropped out of after 2 years, so she had me inquire whether she could get a degree based on "life experience." I went through the motions of asking even though I knew that was going to be a firm "no," because they only allow a few transfer credits from 2-year colleges, and not many more from 4-year schools, which is more restrictive than most.

But I do think these days I've seen some online colleges offering "life experience" credits, which might work for my daughter, since she could get a salary bump if she gets the degree --but it would have to not cost more to get the degree than her salary bump would give her between now and when she retires in order for her to consider it. 

Anyway, with all that college degree baggage in my family (oh, and my mom also dropped out her sophomore year to get married and have kids and never stopped talking about it to us) I do like relate to this plot arc. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 4/14/2021 at 5:23 PM, Clanstarling said:

IIRC, he and his wife/then girlfriend had been in college when she unexpectedly became pregnant with Henry. So it seems that perhaps he dropped out at that time in order to go to work and support her and the baby.

• Love 3
On 3/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, Raja said:

Well Officer Bradford already turned down being bumped above others for a Sergeant's position to finish training Officer Chin. Just like Commander Riker on Star Trek TNG.

And real life you would think in working some other detective assignment than undercover or homicide that as a detective Harper could have a better Monday through Friday golden ticket than traded shifts so a boot gets day and night training 

IIRC, Harper chose to be a Training Officer because it was better paid and would help her in her custody battle. 

• Love 3