Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: A Philosophy Class and Worms That Can Chase You

Bort
  • Start Topic

Sheldon’s first day of college is derailed by his new philosophy teacher. Mary and Brenda live vicariously through Missy’s first day of middle school.

Airdate: 11 February 2021

Please, no discussing spoilers from The Big Bang Theory that have not “happened” yet. 

Wow, even in Texas there’s always a hippie professor. Great to see Melanie Lynskey though!

”I don’t like facial hair, but Spock makes it work!”

Wow, Missy looks older than Sheldon. Girls really do mature faster. Oh they grow up so fast...and I did love Mary and Brenda bonding over her first day.

LOL at Georgie’s rendition of “Cherry Pie.”

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 18
13 minutes ago, Kleav said:

Rose on Two and a Half Men, in case it was driving you crazy.

lol...I just thought "crazy neighbor"...I didn't really watch that show much.

I always think of her as Jacqueline in Ever After. Or Reese Witherspoon's friend in Sweet Home Alabama.

All notes go through Missy. "That's power."

• Love 13

I'm already feeling sorry for Dr. Linkletter. Poor guy. 😂

Also, I'm feeling sorry for Billy. He has gone from slightly dimwitted to so flat-out empty-headed that I'm surprised he even made it to middle school. On a brighter note, I just learned yesterday that Wyatt McClure (Billy) hails from my neck of the woods - Cleveland!! According to the local articles I read, he has an encyclopedic knowledge of all three of our major sports teams. 😊

Not much Georgie in the episode, but his "interactions" in the truck with Dad were priceless - and timeless. I loved his Def Leppard shirt, by the way. 😎

• Love 12

Having majored in Philosophy in college, I really enjoyed this episode.  LOVED his dream with René Descartes and his naive adoption of "I think therefore I am", LOL.  That would be so Sheldon, wouldn't it?  I personally got a kick out of seeing him get put in his place.  I love science but have always had an issue with arrogant scientists.  It's so rare to see any show include philosophical themes, especially a half hour comedy.  Can't wait for next week.

• Love 15
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't enjoy philosophy, so this episode was a drag for me. I did appreciate the visual resemblance of Dream Descartes to the real one.

440px-Frans_Hals_-_Portret_van_Ren%C3%A9

I know it wasn't him, but I did a double-take thinking Descartes was being played by Simon Helberg. Come on, show, give us that!

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
23 minutes ago, highway61 said:
7 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't enjoy philosophy, so this episode was a drag for me. I did appreciate the visual resemblance of Dream Descartes to the real one.

440px-Frans_Hals_-_Portret_van_Ren%C3%A9

Read more  

I know it wasn't him, but I did a double-take thinking Descartes was being played by Simon Helberg. Come on, show, give us that!

I didn't think of that, but it would have been great. And it would have just been an Easter egg (not a scene stealer) since a lot of the Young Sheldon watchers are probably not very familiar with TBBT cast beyond Jim Parsons. And given the pandemic, likely Simon Helberg would've had time, and given the dream sequence, he could have Zoomed it for splicing. Missed opportunity.

• Love 5

Although I found it funny, I was a bit confused with Brenda's sudden fascination with Missy.  I don't recall her ever giving a damn before, so to me, it kind of came out of nowhere, but I'm glad that they're giving her more screen time.  

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

Although I found it funny, I was a bit confused with Brenda's sudden fascination with Missy.  I don't recall her ever giving a damn before, so to me, it kind of came out of nowhere, but I'm glad that they're giving her more screen time though.  

Agreed.  Very uncharacteristic of Brenda to give the time of day to any member of the Cooper family, Meemaw included.  It has been an about-face for her during this season.  Brenda and Hershel have a daughter too: I don't recall seeing her all season.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, highway61 said:

Ooh! He can play any other scientist/philosopher in the future! Feynman and Einstein haven't appeared yet! It would be awesome lol.

• Love 3

Why was a philosophy class open to freshlings? We as science majors had to take a humanities class, usually literature. Philosophy was for more advanced students. Most likely the writers chose philosophy because they could make jokes about it.

Old joke: Descartes was in a bar. Bartender asked if he wanted another drink. Descartes said, "I think not" and vanished.

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

I wish Dr. Linkletter had given Sheldon some useful advice: “You don’t have to believe it or agree with it, you just have to have a working knowledge of its basic theories to round out your general education requirements.” Existential crisis avoided. For an atheist forced to go to church every week, Sheldon got twisted into a pretzel easily enough.

Loved Mary and Brenda bonding over Missy’s popularity. Proximity to power is heady indeed.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Kiddvideo said:

I wish Dr. Linkletter had given Sheldon some useful advice: “You don’t have to believe it or agree with it, you just have to have a working knowledge of its basic theories to round out your general education requirements.” Existential crisis avoided. For an atheist forced to go to church every week, Sheldon got twisted into a pretzel easily enough.

If Mary had been there, she would've known what to say!  I think Sheldon's biggest problem was that each of his arguments with that teacher were being trumped, and we know that he can't handle that!!  I never took a Philosophy class, but just seeing that little bit of it, I don't think I'd like it.  The teacher's rebuttals seemed ridiculous to me.  That's not a blanket dismissal of Philosophy, but like Sheldon, I was screaming "poppycock" at the TV!!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, Driad said:

Why was a philosophy class open to freshlings? We as science majors had to take a humanities class, usually literature. Philosophy was for more advanced students. Most likely the writers chose philosophy because they could make jokes about it.

I took intro to metaphysics and intro to epistemology in my first year. They're intro classes. Nothing she argued or put forth was advanced. I laughed when Sheldon thought he'd master epistemology in a night. It might be an intro class but that doesn't mean it's easy and he's so rigid in his way of thinking. But really, if Sheldon wants to take a philosophy class, Logic might appeal to him. I never took it because my friend who was a philosophy major showed me his notes and it just looked like squiggly math to me.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kiddvideo said:

I wish Dr. Linkletter had given Sheldon some useful advice: “You don’t have to believe it or agree with it, you just have to have a working knowledge of its basic theories to round out your general education requirements.” Existential crisis avoided.

I like to think today's college advisors are actually helpful.
But since this show is set in the 1980s,
and since in the 1970s an advisor signed off without question when I wanted to drop out 3 weeks before the end of the semester when I was about to earn all As, and a dorm RA told me I needed to "learn to share" when I discovered my roommate's boyfriend's boyfriend in my bed,
Dr. Linkletter's failures to advise and support seem realistic.

• Love 1

Sheldon's Descartes experience brought me back to my freshman year Intro to Philosophy class. Supposed to write brief summary of his main idea, but instead of I Think Therefore I Am, I wrote an explanation of I Am I Said. (Better than Sweet Caroline, I guess.)

So glad to see a new episode!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Missy had the best lines last night.  Sometimes I think the actress is not very good, in how she recites her lines in a monotone, but then I realize that is just Missy.  Missy speaks in a bored monotone, because that is her personality.  The actress is doing that on purpose, because she's very, very good with her timing, and allowing that timing to give inflection to her dialogue.  I literally laughed out loud with her line at the dinner table.

I also loved how they're continuing Mary's mom-bonding friendship with Brenda.  They can bond as moms, but be adversaries as neighbors and historical rivals.  They haven't gone into this on the show, but I assume Mary and Brenda likely grew up together, and the animosity there between them and between Meemaw and Brenda is rooted in that history.  Likely Meemaw and Brenda's mom didn't get along in high school--probably someone stole someone else's boyfriend (my money is on Meemaw)--and therefore Mary and Brenda don't get along.  Except as moms.

Brenda has a daughter?  All I know about is Billy.  Who is less the bully that adult Sheldon remembers, and more of a hapless, dull, but well intentioned bigger boy.  His execution of his intentions can certainly be misconstrued.  But I didn't know he had a sister.  Didn't Brenda mention that she was dropping Billy off at school, and she got to walk him in and everything?  If there's a girl, then she must be older or younger and therefore not in the Cooper kid's orbit.

My favorite part was all the drives home from school, and how each kid and adult had a different experience.  I cracked up at George and Georgie.  George's expression just killed me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I like to think today's college advisors are actually helpful.

Is he supposed to be his official advisor? I thought he just grudgingly agreed to keep an eye on him since Dr. Sturgis was gone.

53 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Brenda has a daughter?  All I know about is Billy.  Who is less the bully that adult Sheldon remembers, and more of a hapless, dull, but well intentioned bigger boy.  His execution of his intentions can certainly be misconstrued.  But I didn't know he had a sister.  Didn't Brenda mention that she was dropping Billy off at school, and she got to walk him in and everything?  If there's a girl, then she must be older or younger and therefore not in the Cooper kid's orbit.

She was a few years younger; she bullied Sheldon in an earlier episode (not sure which season). He enlists Missy to stand up to her for him but she ends up playing with her instead. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Is he supposed to be his official advisor? I thought he just grudgingly agreed to keep an eye on him since Dr. Sturgis was gone.

That was my take on it too.  I didn't think he was his advisor.  He's just a "babysitter" who doesn't give a crap about Sheldon.  Now if MeeMaw took an interest in him, I'm sure he'd be changing his tune!  

56 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

They haven't gone into this on the show, but I assume Mary and Brenda likely grew up together, and the animosity there between them and between Meemaw and Brenda is rooted in that history. 

I'm not sure on that one.  Didn't Brenda say that if she and Mary were in school together she'd already have put her head in a toilet?  If they grew up near each other, I don't think they were in the same class.  Maybe they'll go into more detail later on.  There are quite a few characters on this show, so it's going to be difficult to really delve into everybody's background.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

Missy had the best lines last night.  Sometimes I think the actress is not very good, in how she recites her lines in a monotone, but then I realize that is just Missy.  Missy speaks in a bored monotone, because that is her personality.  The actress is doing that on purpose, because she's very, very good with her timing, and allowing that timing to give inflection to her dialogue.  I literally laughed out loud with her line at the dinner table.

Agreed - first post here, and I realise we're not to get too much into adult Big Bang versus Young Sheldon, but the adult Missy displays that same sort of humor

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

When they started bringing Brenda into this storyline, I also vaguely thought there had been a daughter - I seem to remember a daughter younger than Billy, maybe answering the door in an episode?........ anyway, if there was a daughter the character disappeared sort of like Richie's older basketballer brother on Happy Days

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Driad said:

I was an accounting major. I took a philosoophy class my first semester.

8 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

When they started bringing Brenda into this storyline, I also vaguely thought there had been a daughter - I seem to remember a daughter younger than Billy, maybe answering the door in an episode?........ anyway, if there was a daughter the character disappeared sort of like Richie's older basketballer brother on Happy Days

I think you're right.  Maybe she ran away and that explains Brenda's sudden need to live vicariously through Missy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Driad said:

At Reed College, we could take Philosophy as a freshman. A lot of science majors did take it their freshmen years, so they could get their social science requirements out of the way. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I'm not sure on that one.  Didn't Brenda say that if she and Mary were in school together she'd already have put her head in a toilet?  If they grew up near each other, I don't think they were in the same class.  Maybe they'll go into more detail later on.  There are quite a few characters on this show, so it's going to be difficult to really delve into everybody's background.  

Ah.  Good point.  I think I'm making an assumption that it is a small Texas town and all the generations grew up together, so old issues and old rivalries define the current relationships.  But the more I think about it--and I am definitely overthinking a sitcom 😆--maybe they moved to that town for George's job.  Or not.  Didn't we see Meemaw at her husband's grave?  Hmmm....  And I'm vaguely recalling from early on in the show, that George had had to move back to that small hometown because of some football scandal at the bigger, better school he had been at?

Definitely overthinking it now....  Darn these sporadic COVID related release schedules!  When we finally get something new, I analyze it to death because there's nothing else new to move on to.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Definitely overthinking it now....  Darn these sporadic COVID related release schedules!  When we finally get something new, I analyze it to death because there's nothing else new to move on to.

There are so many little things thrown into each episode, that it's hard to keep track of it all!  I'm glad that Mary & Brenda are friends now.  They each have their issues to deal with, and it's nice for Mary to have someone other than her Mom to commiserate with.   I loved it when Brenda waved her hand in the air and called it that Missy will be Prom Queen some day!  Oh, and Missy writing her combination on her ankle because writing it on her hand is "so 5th grade!"  I was never as cool as Missy is!  

Poor Billy!  He doesn't know the difference between 'Home Room,' and his room at home.  😞  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Wow, Missy looks older than Sheldon. Girls really do mature faster. Oh they grow up so fast...

How long are she and Sheldon going to keep sharing a bedroom? She seems to be well past the age where she would need to have more privacy.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Driad said:

Why was a philosophy class open to freshlings? We as science majors had to take a humanities class, usually literature.

My guess is that is a general education/intro type class that is filling a humanities requirement. 

3 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

How long are she and Sheldon going to keep sharing a bedroom? She seems to be well past the age where she would need to have more privacy.

I have wondered this as well, but I can't picture Georgie and Sheldon sharing a room working out well at all for any length of time.

Overall, I liked this episode. Mary doesn't care about how popular Missy is. She wants her daughter to be a good person. That being said, there's no reason her daughter can't be a good person and prom queen. I like that Mary Brenda have become friends. Relationships change overtime, and I think once they realized they had more in common than they realized, that was a major turning point.

Missy was fantastic in this episode. The new more mature hairstyle makes her look more like Mary. I'm torn between wanting to see Missy interact with her friends/classmates on screen (at home or at school), and having them all be off screen characters that we only hear about. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

I was wondering that, too. I get why they do it for story purposes of having the twins interact, but if I were her I'd be lobbying for my own room. Though I'm sure Georgie would object to sharing with Sheldon. So that could be a fun episode. 

(I assume they don't have a spare room and there is no basement (since in the storm episode they were sheltering in the bathroom). Unless they convert the garage or something.)

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

(I assume they don't have a spare room and there is no basement (since in the storm episode they were sheltering in the bathroom). Unless they convert the garage or something.)

Maybe they will find the magical bedroom over the garage that exists in so many sitcoms in a later season: Happy Days, Growing Pains, Sister Sister, and others. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Maybe they will find the magical bedroom over the garage that exists in so many sitcoms in a later season: Happy Days, Growing Pains, Sister Sister, and others. 

Ooh ooh!  Brady Bunch?  Modern Family? (basement for that one, I think).

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Happy Days was the most unrealistic. They would have spent all the years it was vacant paying to keep the heat on to prevent the pipes from freezing in a typical Wisconsin winter. Then again, it was the 1950's, and fuel was cheap. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I had to go back and watch this on Demand because my DVR cut off the last minute.  Even when I extend the recording time, it always cuts if off.  I'm going to have to watch the show in real time, with a pause here and there to avoid those pesky commercials!   Anyway, I didn't realize what an important scene I missed with the last one.  Maybe Missy will come through and say something really intelligent that snaps him back to his own reality and view of life!  She's pretty good about that.   Or, wouldn't it be sweet if Billy were to say something so innocent, but profound, to Sheldon!  Let's give Billy a moment to shine. 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I had to go back and watch this on Demand because my DVR cut off the last minute.  Even when I extend the recording time, it always cuts if off.  I'm going to have to watch the show in real time, with a pause here and there to avoid those pesky commercials!   Anyway, I didn't realize what an important scene I missed with the last one.  Maybe Missy will come through and say something really intelligent that snaps him back to his own reality and view of life!  She's pretty good about that.   Or, wouldn't it be sweet if Billy were to say something so innocent, but profound, to Sheldon!  Let's give Billy a moment to shine. 

I would love either of those scenarios, @ChitChat. Now that you mention it, I'd love an entire episode with various characters giving Sheldon incite, including Missy and Billy, and also maybe Memaw, George, Mary, Dr. Sturgis (by telephone), and Dale.

• Love 2

The thing about Billy is, he takes everything very literally. He surely can tell that his room at home is not the same as his room at school. But calling it "Home Room" is confusing to him. ANd Sheldon can be like that, too, objecting to things based on his very literal interpretation.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, HouseofBeck said:

I love that Missy got her way about watching Fresh Prince. And I was so far from being anywhere close to that savvy about middle school...

I'm glad she did. They can miss half an hour of a football game.

Loved her explanation of who he was.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, eel21788 said:

At Reed College, we could take Philosophy as a freshman. A lot of science majors did take it their freshmen years, so they could get their social science requirements out of the way. 

Small nitpick from a Psych major: Philosophy falls under Humanities not Social Sciences. 
I too, took a Philosophy course as a freshman, although it was second semester.

Missy was the best thing about the episode for me.
I did enjoy the guest appearance by Melanie Lynsky. While I've seen her in many roles over the years, every time I see her in something new, in my mind I hear Reese Witherspoon saying, "Look at you, you have a baby... In a bar." 😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ooh ooh!  Brady Bunch?  Modern Family? (basement for that one, I think).

Brady Bunch was technically the attic, but it's absolutely the same principle. I never watched Modern Family, so I can't comment on that one.   I said apartment over the garage but clearly it needs to be expanded to, "the extra bedroom/apartment in the house that magically appears in a later season."  

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

The thing about Billy is, he takes everything very literally. He surely can tell that his room at home is not the same as his room at school. But calling it "Home Room" is confusing to him. ANd Sheldon can be like that, too, objecting to things based on his very literal interpretation.

This is the exact reason Mary and Brenda are friends. They are both going raising children who have some strong similarities, even though on the surface and at first glance it appears that the two boys are completely different. The question both mothers are dealing with is "how do you raise a child who is very clearly far outside the range of normal in terms of academic and social development." The moment they realized that, is the moment they started to become friends, because no one else even remotely understands what they are dealing with/going through. 

This is slightly off topic and at the same time related to this episode. Missy mentioned an 8th grade boy talking to her, so how long before she starts to go on actual dates? She's had crushes, but I don't think she's had a first date yet, and I know 6th grade seems a little young to start dating, but it's going to happen sooner or later. Who is going to have a harder time dealing with her first date: Mary or George?

• Love 7
10 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

My favorite part was all the drives home from school, and how each kid and adult had a different experience.  I cracked up at George and Georgie.  George's expression just killed me.

I loved that scene as well. George's face kept cracking me up as Georgie sat beside him listening to music and completely ignoring him, heh. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Although I found it funny, I was a bit confused with Brenda's sudden fascination with Missy.  I don't recall her ever giving a damn before, so to me, it kind of came out of nowhere, but I'm glad that they're giving her more screen time.  

Me too. I think her abrupt disposition works well in the mix and since her husband basically disappeared, it’s nice to see her getting more screen time. Maybe she had a good agent lobbying the show on her behalf. LOL 😆 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:
23 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Although I found it funny, I was a bit confused with Brenda's sudden fascination with Missy.  I don't recall her ever giving a damn before, so to me, it kind of came out of nowhere, but I'm glad that they're giving her more screen time though.  

Agreed.  Very uncharacteristic of Brenda to give the time of day to any member of the Cooper family, Meemaw included.  It has been an about-face for her during this season.  Brenda and Hershel have a daughter too: I don't recall seeing her all season

I agree that the B plot of Next Door Brenda’s interest in Missy is pointedly new.

It begins with Mary’s offer to have Missy act as an ally for Billy, but which Brenda convinces Mary is not in Missy’s best interests (e.g., becoming prom queen). We then hear Missy recounting her first day including becoming a gossip queen and attracting the attention of an older boy. 

Trust me, all y’all. None of that can end well. 
Becoming Billy’s ally is not only the nobler pursuit, but much more likely to lead to college application essay material and not to a teen pregnancy. 

Should we take bets on how many episodes before this becomes apparent to Mary?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Becoming Billy’s ally is not only the nobler pursuit, but much more likely to lead to college application essay material and not to a teen pregnancy. 

Spoiler

If they stick to the BBT timeline Missy takes (I think) 6 years to finish high school, does not go to college but also does not end up with a teen pregnancy (so yay for that).  It will be interesting to see, should the show stay on the air long enough) just how they decide to handle Missy as she gets older.  

I wasn't surpised that Mary wants Missy to be popular at school, we all want our kids to have friends and be happy of course, but I wonder if part of this is because she acknowledges that Missy is probably only going to go as far as high school.  College is likely not in Missy's future.

Edited by WinnieWinkle