Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E12: Regina King / Nathaniel Rateliff

• Start Topic

I'm honestly very surprised that they cast Black performers in 5 out of the 6 roles in the Gorilla Glue sketch. I get that the woman who went viral for putting it in her hair is Black, but that doesn't mean the other characters had to be. My guess is that it was Kenan's concept - or at least I hope it was his. If someone who isn't Black wrote this, that would be a very bad look. And I won't be too surprised if there's some online anger about this.

Yeah, that was my original take but I decided not to include it in my post upthread. I've seen/heard so many White people--mostly men--on radio and TV this past week yucking it up about that woman and there always seemed to be a condescending air about it. Some of them seemed to be straining not to let loose with their worst Ebonics imitation, and you knew they were dying to lay in on the "gorilla" thing in particular but they couldn't because of the guaranteed racism backlash. I think maybe the reason the entire Black cast had to be in the SNL sketch was to give the show 100% cover if some viewers complained about it. And yep, I'd bet it was Kenan's concept too because he's (IMO) Lorne's boy. 

The only take on it I was okay with was the one on last week's The Read podcast. But that's what they do and Crissle especially was going to have something to say about a Black woman's hair issue. I don't see it as being in SNL's lane, even if this week's host was a Black woman.

• Love 1

Okay, so I actually liked Kate's Qanon witch concept, and I'm actually really glad it did not segue into Colin asking Kate if she was all right like he does when she comes out as Dr. Weknowdis. 

I thought Pelotaunt and the Negotiator were the best sketches. The latter because it was just so out there it just cracked me up. 

But the two sketches after Weekend Update - the 70s diva and the play - felt more theatrical than comedic. Especially the former of the two. Regina was reading those lines so fast and Bowen was totally able to keep up with her, but it seemed more like the theater than an SNL sketch. And then the play with "elbow," while a funny premise, also felt like a bunch of monologues or one-woman shows.

• Love 2

SNL writers very badly want to make fun of politians and people in the news. The problem is that they can't write anything funny for them to say or do. They can mimic makeup, hand gestures, facial gestures and even non-verbal gestures, they just can't write a skit that puts it all together for a laugh. Trying to make fun of people isn't always funny and in this group's case, almost never.

The negotiator skit was hysterical and it has created an earworm courtesy of Pete Davidson. Try to stop singing this:

• Love 1
6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I love Regina King, and thought she was great--it's awesome when actors known more for their dramatic work can shine on this show.

Really?  I thought her most famous work is things like 227, Jerry Maguire, and The Boondocks!  

Also, when she said "White people probably know me from ......." my thoughts finished her sentence with "Miss Congeniality 2."   LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I loved Pelotaunt.  And found Weed Gummies oddly mesmerizing.  There were a few times I laughed, but I couldn't tell you exactly at what.  I thought Regina King was wonderful. 

Honestly, they need new writers. 

Pelotaunt was the only standout for me too. And honestly, sort of a genius idea, I find those "you're killing it, keep going!" types of motivational shouts annoying, but would respond more to personal triggers. The fishbowl lens on the ass was hysterical.

Otherwise, the show felt very flat and the audience response seemed quite muted as well. Waste of Regina King with writing like that.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ahisma said:

I think I’m the only one here who liked the Fliona sketch, thought Gorilla Glue was just okay, and hated Regina’s yellow dress. Overall, though, I liked pretty much every sketch (except the cut-for-time) and loved several. Weekend Update absolutely delivered on the impeachment. And I was skeptical of the QAnon witch but ended up loving it. 

8 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I love Regina King, and thought she was great--it's awesome when actors known more for their dramatic work can shine on this show.

The writing however...yeesh. Unfortunately I don't think this is a problem that will be solved before the end of the season. I think it's a combination of actual writers who had hoped to be off the show and selling pilots by now and cast members who stuck around when their other projects got pushed back just being completely out of steam. Transition periods are always rough on SNL, but they're never this long, and the cracks are really starting to show.

Like the green room sketch--what was the pitch for that? "Regina is a diva who doesn't get anything she wants...also it's the '70s!" All premise with no punchline.

The audience also felt more sedate than normal, even compared to other audiences this season, which have all been reduced in size.

I thought Weed Gummies, Gorilla Glue, and the birthday sketch were probably the strongest. I see those types of signs in Home Goods and don't understand who they're for. I wouldn't buy them for myself or as a gift, even if the person I was giving them to did like a good drink. Something about it just feels so backhanded, and I thought the sketch captured that.

The green room/Fliona sketch washed right over me last night, as the episode sort of drained me (mainly after Update), but when I rewatched on Youtube I found it more enjoyable. I liked the period styles (of course they were OTT compared to real life but the cast all looked pretty good and Regina was gorgeous), but in terms of the writing, I thought the way they kept speaking in lists ("did they have ___, ____, ___") was fun. Regina seemed to be into that sketch as well, maybe because it's not something she does very often. Even the comedy slaps were amusing at times. This was one of the sketches where the sloppy feel of the show in recent years (especially the last ten years or so) got in the way - the looking at cards was so blatant and you could tell everyone had to rush. It just looked amateurish. 

I know that many problems were there before the current headwriters, but I do think the show will benefit when Michael Che and Colin Jost leave (I just wish they could take Kent Sublette with them). I also think the show needs a new director, as some elements, especially the blatant card reading, started to become more noticeable when he took over. 

If they would commit to dialing back the airtime of the longest-running cast members who are (presumably) leaving, that wouldn't help fix the writing and direction issues, but it would make the episodes fresher for me. I think the newer people are by and large doing a better job at adding some life to even shaky material (Ego in particular), whereas some of the people who have been there much longer are too in their own bubble at this point to be able to connect to anything beyond their own performance. 

5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I'm honestly very surprised that they cast Black performers in 5 out of the 6 roles in the Gorilla Glue sketch. I get that the woman who went viral for putting it in her hair is Black, but that doesn't mean the other characters had to be. My guess is that it was Kenan's concept - or at least I hope it was his. If someone who isn't Black wrote this, that would be a very bad look. And I won't be too surprised if there's some online anger about this.

It was written by Michael Che and Will Stephen. 

I've seen some anger, including some viewers who were disappointed in Regina (I guess they had no real expectations for SNL). I can understand why people may see it as a racist sketch, although I didn't take it that way. I thought it was just another variation on the types of "making fun of stupid people via lawyers" sketches they used to do a lot in the '00s. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Agreed. It's not a sketch I would feel comfortable forwarding to someone,  although the premise was certainly ripe for ridicule.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Some of them seemed to be straining not to let loose with their worst Ebonics imitation, and you knew they were dying to lay in on the "gorilla" thing in particular but they couldn't because of the guaranteed racism backlash.

That seems to be a terrible "take" to assume people wanted to say. 

5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Really?  I thought her most famous work is things like 227, Jerry Maguire, and The Boondocks!  

Also, when she said "White people probably know me from ......." my thoughts finished her sentence with "Miss Congeniality 2."   LOL

I thought she'd say "Cinderella Story" because that's what my white friends know her from. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Loved Regina.  Loved Pelotaunt.  Loved Weed Gummies.

I have loved Kate McKinnon through the years and think she'll go down as one of the all-time greats.

She is ruining Weekend Update.  They let her drag whatever mugging carcass she wants out there, when they should get her off until she comes up with something truly good.   It's like De Niro diluting his career with Fokker movies.

Edited by JZL
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

I love Regina but this ep was a miss for me.  (And I usually find more to enjoy than most each week.)  The only thing I liked were the monologue, because I like Regina, and Pelotaunt.

22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Has anyone heard of this musical performer?

At first I couldn't figure out who they were even though the name sounded kind of familiar.  But then I remembered they put out this song which I think did pretty well a few years ago.  I'd always stop and listed if it was on the radio even if that meant sitting in my car for a few minutes.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

That seems to be a terrible "take" to assume people wanted to say.

In context, from people whose type of unfortunate "humor" I was already familiar with, it was neither terrible nor an assumption.

She is ruining Weekend Update. 

I agree. It seems to me like they use her to fill up time. Or maybe she gets paid by the minute.😉

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I'm honestly very surprised that they cast Black performers in 5 out of the 6 roles in the Gorilla Glue sketch. I get that the woman who went viral for putting it in her hair is Black, but that doesn't mean the other characters had to be.

They kind of have to be if the sketch reveals they are all members of the same stupid family.

• Love 4

I still think they should have done a 227 sketch. I guess they thought nobody would remember it. What a shame.

Watching the episode over, I still think it was the weakest material I have seen in a long time. I totally agree it's time to move on from Che and Jost as the head writers.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2021 at 12:22 AM, ebk57 said:

I loved her yellow dress in the monologue.

On 2/14/2021 at 1:27 AM, possibilities said:

I find Regina King's monologue dress mesmerizing. I also liked her jewelry and of course her hair. Basically, she's distractingly gorgeous.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, Fostersmom said:

The yellow dress was cute, but I LOVED the white/silver wrap dress she wore to introduce the second song. It's a sad state of affairs when the dresses get more attention than the sketches. 

23 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

On a slightly tangential note, I think Regina King must have one of the best stylists in the business. She rarely makes a fashion misstep when she attends show biz events. Brava.

23 hours ago, possibilities said:

I agree that RK looked fantastic in every single outfit. At first, I was: ANOTHER costume change? Then, I was: SHE LOOKS GREAT IN THIS! every time. 

https://tomandlorenzo.com/2021/02/regina-king-on-saturday-night-live/?fbclid=IwAR08tSEyTu9NYZiXXRywmSsNkWRowCW-jHdg6nIwr_NcuZGsycB3IVrNPzE

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Kate as Lindsey Graham was awful.  If SNL had a male cast member playing a bunch of different female roles there would be a social media reckoning.

I remember Regina King from Boyz n The Hood.  I'm old.

Kate has also Played Guliani And Jeff Sessions and other Men !

I remember Regina King from Boyz n The Hood.  I'm old.

And Friday!!!!!

Regina's body is freaking amazing.   She doesn't look that much different than the Jerry Maguire days!  She looks great.  She looked really hot in the Filona sketch.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

If SNL had a male cast member playing a bunch of different female roles there would be a social media reckoning.

Before SNL had Black female cast members, Kenan used to play all those roles - until he refused to.

John Goodman played Linda Tripp, and it wasn't nice.

• Love 2

The only sketch I thought was funny--but I did think it was very funny--was the one where Aidy was receiving birthday gift "sayings" from her friends.

Enjoyed Kate as the witch in WU. I don't understand the point of her continuing to do male drag as hated politicians, though. It seems like we're supposed to think, "Oh look, a woman is playing Lindsay Graham, and you know, he's in the closet--oh, he's going to hate that!" It's actually quite regressive.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

The only sketch I thought was funny--but I did think it was very funny--was the one where Aidy was receiving birthday gift "sayings" from her friends.

Enjoyed Kate as the witch in WU. I don't understand the point of her continuing to do male drag as hated politicians, though. It seems like we're supposed to think, "Oh look, a woman is playing Lindsay Graham, and you know, he's in the closet--oh, he's going to hate that!" It's actually quite regressive.

I had actually forgotten until recently that Kate first played Lindsey back in early 2016, long before he became as infamous as he is currently is. I am not sure if that is down to all the other men being tapped to play the other candidates (it was a GOP primary debate sketch). Then after Melissa McCarthy and SNL garnered so much attention for the Spicer impression, and claims went around that Trump hated women playing male associates or members of his Cabinet, we've had this trope ever since. 

It's a fine line, because they do have a few jokes, but I don't know how much is intended as a jab at him for possibly being closeted. However, it does come off that way, or has the potential to - particularly when (in my opinion) there just isn't anything funny about the impression. There's just too much of an assumption that all we need to do is see a woman dressed as a man and we'll be amazed or proud of the daring.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Jody said:

Kate as Lindsey Graham was awful.  If SNL had a male cast member playing a bunch of different female roles there would be a social media reckoning.

Part of it is trolling the right wing. Either Trump or someone who is Trump adjacent mentioned how much they hated it so I think they decided to run with it.  As far as I know the only non-Republican male played by a woman recently has been Anthony Fauci and that was after he was done by Brad Pitt.  The rest (Graham, Giuliani, Cruz, Sessions, Spicer) are favorite targets. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Part of it is trolling the right wing. Either Trump or someone who is Trump adjacent mentioned how much they hated it so I think they decided to run with it.  As far as I know the only non-Republican male played by a woman recently has been Anthony Fauci and that was after he was done by Brad Pitt.  The rest (Graham, Giuliani, Cruz, Sessions, Spicer) are favorite targets. 

I have no issue with the trolling aspect.  My first issue is that, for example, if Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney had played all of the female Trumps plus the two press secretaries, SNL would have been pilloried. My second issue is that Kate's impressions aren't very good.

Come to think of it, it would have been funny to see Beck or Bowen do Sarah Sanders or Pete do Kayleigh McEnany . . .

• Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 11:47 PM, JZL said:

Loved Regina.  Loved Pelotaunt.  Loved Weed Gummies.

I have loved Kate McKinnon through the years and think she'll go down as one of the all-time greats.

She is ruining Weekend Update.  They let her drag whatever mugging carcass she wants out there, when they should get her off until she comes up with something truly good.   It's like De Niro diluting his career with Fokker movies.

Yeah, Kate McKinnon is either at or perilously close to the tipping point where the overexposure and lazy characters overshadow the great work she has done in the past. 

The writing is also playing a part though, the material just isn't there and her worst tendencies (the mugging, the laughing at herself) seem to come out when there's not much to mine from the written word.

Regina's body is freaking amazing.   She doesn't look that much different than the Jerry Maguire days!  She looks great.  She looked really hot in the Filona sketch.  

That was my first thought when she walked out, she really hasn't changed since Jerry Maguire and that was a longer time ago than I want to even think about. Also, her monologue dress had long sleeves and I thought it was a shame to cover up those amazing arms, but she had many wardrobe changes to address that, lol.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Before SNL had Black female cast members, Kenan used to play all those roles - until he refused to.

To be fair, Linda Tripp herself wasn't nice

Let's see... Terry Sweeney (SNL's first openly gay actor) played Nancy Reagan; Phil Hartman played Barbara Bush; Will Ferrell played Janet Reno;  Dan Aykroyd famously played Julia Child; and Jimmy Fallon played Hilary Swank on Celebrity Jeopardy! (think 'Boys Don't Cry' era).

Edited by Gimmick Genius
Spelling Aykroyd
  • Love 3
On 2/15/2021 at 11:46 AM, vb68 said:

I still think they should have done a 227 sketch. I guess they thought nobody would remember it. What a shame.

Watching the episode over, I still think it was the weakest material I have seen in a long time. I totally agree it's time to move on from Che and Jost as the head writers.

I loved 227, it was must see tv for me.  Regina is good with comedy and drama.

This episode was really really bad, and it was all writing.  The cast and guest showed up and did their best.  It was just not funny.

On 2/15/2021 at 2:36 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It wasn't nice!

But it was kinda funny.

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Why? 

Unless adopted/foster, family members are of the same race.  

Edited by heatherchandler
On 2/14/2021 at 12:59 AM, Galileo908 said:

But Beck was great as Drunk Tom Brady.

I thought Beck was a terrible casting choice.  He looked absolutely nothing like Brady...they could at least have given him a wig.  And his acting didn't make up for it...he just seemed like a drunk Beck.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:38 AM, ahisma said:

And I was skeptical of the QAnon witch but ended up loving it. 

Me too!  There are pretty much no Kate WU characters that I like (other than RBG,,,RIP).  But I really liked this because it was relatively toned down and I thought she used some subtlety in how she played the character.

On 2/14/2021 at 11:11 AM, helenamonster said:

I don't know Regina King at all, and while I did think she was game, I was always conscious that she was acting, in every skit.

On 2/16/2021 at 3:44 PM, heatherchandler said:

Unless adopted/foster, family members are of the same race.  

!!! Mixed race families are fairly common, and have been for a long time. People date, hook up, marry, have kids, across all kinds of lines. Even if you don't personally know any mixed-race families, they do exist! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

!!! Mixed race families are fairly common, and have been for a long time. People date, hook up, marry, have kids, across all kinds of lines. Even if you don't personally know any mixed-race families, they do exist! 

Yeah my point was that kids are the same race as their parents, unless adopted/foster.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 1:52 AM, vb68 said:

This is the one I wanted someone to explain to me what was funny about it? Maybe it was like an intervention.  It just seemed awkward more than anything. I was thinking it was one of one those situations in real life where you start to stare at your shoes.

As the signs got less and less joke-y I thought it was going to turn out to be a deliberate intervention but it seemed to settle on her friends being oblivious idiots. I was disappointed that it didn't really go anywhere when I thought there were a lot of possibilities. On the other hand I thought everyone's look was top notch, especially the hair for Aidy, Heidi, and Chloe.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 12:02 AM, freddi said:

Has any other market been getting Billy Graham commercials right before the first appearance of the musical guest?  I saw it last week and didn't think much about it, but saw the same commercial at the same time again this week.  It is not a commercial I have seen anyplace else.  

Hey Freddi.Where Do You Live ? I Did Not See That Tonight, But I Have seen These Religious Commercials About Bible Verses  When Saturday Night Live Is On ! I Live In North West Alabama !

On 2/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, Bachibawlz said:

Where was Petey Davidson last night in SNL?? He’s the main reason I tune into the show.  Love that kid, hope he’s all right 

Pete Was The Gummy Weed On The Roof ! Also, I Think He Was In AT Least Another Sketch Maybe The Stationary Bike, But That Might Not Be Right !

On 2/14/2021 at 8:11 AM, Ottis said:

When you just throw cast members out there with fake beards and suits who don’t look or sound like the people they are impersonating, is it still an impersonation?

Didn’t laugh until the opening moments of Gorilla Glue, and then it felt wrong the rest of the skit.

The “mom signs” skit had possibilities, but didn’t go far enough. Also, Geico did it better.

”Oh look, I’m high” humor is the laziest humor.

I don’t know what genre the musical artist was, but it was nice to see someone who wasn’t a 25yo with no life experience. I kind of liked the first song, which was sort of gospel. The second one reminded me of the Blues Brothers. 

Every character Kate McKinnon does sounds like an offshoot of her Guliani.

“Jets level.” Heh.

I like the SNL Tom Brady more than actual Tom Brady.

I did not understand the joke of the Fliona skit. Like, not even the structure or the punchline.

“Elbows.” None of them have printers? What? I have to say, Melissa always looks so fun in a skit. There should be more that feature her.

ALL Kate's Characters Are NOT Like Guiliani ! We Know Dis, Ruth Bader, Jeff Sessions And Even The Woman In The Vagina Monologues  And NONE OF Them Are Like Guiliani ! ! 1 That Fliona Sketch Is That She Was A Diva So She Has Her Agent I Guess Is Who He Is Slap The Other People  Who Did Not Have What She Wanted ! ! !

On 2/14/2021 at 1:08 PM, tracyscott76 said:

The Fliona sketch wasn't a gut-buster or anything, but for some reason I found it totally charming and it was one of my favorites. It was just so silly. And agreed on the QAnon witch; once they settled into what the joke was, I enjoyed it a lot.

There was a YouTube comment on Lauren's weekend update bit that said she did too good a job making the audience empathize with her character, which just made the sketch seem sad. I kind of agree, but I still think there was promise there.

I  Did Not Know What Was Charming OR Silly About Fliona Where She Did Not Get What She Wanted So She Had Her Agent Slap The Other People! ! Now, IF You Happened To Have Laughed AT That Or IF You Know People Like That And Thought They Did A Good Job, That Would Be Different ! !