Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: In the Room

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, PRgal said:

The first thing that I think of when I hear the name “Frances” is “Bread and Jam for Frances,” the book about a picky eating badger.  

I loved that book!

I thought of Baby in Dirty Dancing. Hope nobody puts her in a corner!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ohmo said:

Something about Kate wanting Chloe, but there was a reason that Chloe was out.  Think it had something to do with the birth mother.  I don't remember the reason, but Chloe became Hailey.

Kate let it accidentally slip that she was thinking of the baby as Chloe, or as giving the baby that name, when Ellie, who was in the hospital getting a sonogram with Kate accompanying her, came up with a long-ass story about some girl in her grade school who BULLIED her (Ellie, the birth mother) and made Kate feel uncomfortable about it.  Hence, the name change to Hayley. Hailey Rose Damon.  Just looked it up.  Anyone remember Hayley Mills?  I thought it was that spelling.

Edited by CrystalBlue
Hailey not Hayley.
  • Love 7
On 2/16/2021 at 10:13 PM, ams1001 said:

That's where my "uh-oh" in my first comment comes in.

Though assuming the law hasn't changed, I believe she would have 72 hours in PA to change her mind. (My old boss adopted; the baby was born in PA and their first birth mom changed her mind before the window was up. Their second match worked out.) Don't know if CA is different.

I feel for your boss. Glad it worked out with the 2nd adoption. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I loved that book!

I thought of Baby in Dirty Dancing. Hope nobody puts her in a corner!

I thought of my women's history class.  The first day we had a list of names and the teacher would say, "Okay from this list who was the first woman who...."  And one of the early ones was "first woman in the cabinet" and I was the only person who knew the answer.  She was super impressed because nobody ever got that one.  And how I'd gotten it?  I'd searched the list for women name Frances because Baby Houseman was named for the first woman in the cabinet!   And then, to her credit, the teacher was impressed I'd used that bit of trivia to infer the name from the list.    Frances Perkins Secretary of Labor.  

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Calvada said:

I like the name Frances and didn't really care for Randall acting like it was such a strange name.  A lot of people are going back to those traditional names that were popular a couple generations back.  I have one of those names myself.  Plus I think it's a bad idea to appear to be critical of a name someone has decided on - that's their kid you're talking about!   

I'm scratching my head as to what could possibly be wrong with Frances.

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I know two people with sons named Henry, both early teens. And yeah, whatever you think of a baby's name, you don't say it to the parents!

Don't tell people intended names or the sex (if you know it) until after the child is born.  If you do, you'll get all sorts of unwanted advice/opinions.

The traditional Jewish eight days also gives you time to change your mind about the name (though not the sex . . . ).

Edited by Leeds
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I'm scratching my head as to what could possibly be wrong with Frances.

I don't really have an opinion on people's names for their kids, to me it makes no difference but Frances does't ring stranger than Harper of Naveah, for example. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Calvada said:

And what a TV trope (I should be posting in a different thread) that someone about to have a baby will meet a person in the hospital who has such an impression on them that the person's name will be suggested for the newborn - it happened on Growing Pains, NCIS, and probably some other show(s) I'm forgetting about. 

They almost used that trope on this show already! Randall was about to name Tess after the wise employee in the hardware store, but didn’t like the guy’s name. The guy even commented on the fact that he almost was going to have a baby named after him. So instead Tess is named after the ceiling fan itself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Probably just that it's a bit "old fashioned" (and hasn't come back into style).

Or Randall’s just a jerk about everything having to do with Kevin.

I think Frances is coming back. I’ve definitely heard it used recently, as well as other variations like Francesca and Francine.

• Love 6

Probably just that it's a bit "old fashioned" (and hasn't come back into style). 

According to the US Social Security website, Frances is more in style than Tess.

Randall named his daughter after a ceiling fan, perhaps he thought there was an interesting story behind Frances? He might have been happier with the following response to "Frances?" "Yes, there is a story behind it. After I talked to the guy who I saved from a fire, he calmed me about missing the birth of my children. As I looked over at him to thank him, I noticed a La Crueset storefront behind him which proudly declared 'Made in France'. I knew then I would name my child after that store. I was going to go with Crueset, but I decided that reminded me too much of Cruela which I lost the part for, so I went with 'France', but tweaked it to 'Frances' when Madison looked like she was going to throw up. But, on second thoughts, she's named after the capital of Wisconsin, so why can't I name our daughter after a country. Do you think I should give her a 'Pearson' speech until she relents?"

• LOL 15
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Jeddah said:

I think Frances is coming back. I’ve definitely heard it used recently, as well as other variations like Francesca and Francine.

One of Jimmie Fallon's daughters is named Frannie.

• Love 4
On 2/17/2021 at 10:09 AM, GeorgiaRai said:

As the mother of my own Hayley Rose (age 29), I gave this episode two thumbs up!

I am the mom of a 28 year Old Hayley with her own 8 month old daughter, Rose.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, MBayGal said:

One of Jimmie Fallon's daughters is named Frannie.

I knew I'd heard that name recently; I went on a "Hashtags" binge on youtube last week and some of the videos included bits with his kids while he was filming at home. 

• Love 2
On 2/19/2021 at 9:18 AM, doodlebug said:

No, it's not.  I was saying that women in labor do not get epidurals unless they want them and, generally, even sign a consent before it is given.  If Madison didn't want an epidural and agree to it, she wouldn't have had it.  Informed consent is a real thing in medical care.  If Madison was given an epidural without her consent, that is assault and she can file charges.

I took t as a joke considering the natural birth movement. But, maybe not.

5 hours ago, kili said:

According to the US Social Security website, Frances is more in style than Tess.

Randall named his daughter after a ceiling fan, perhaps he thought there was an interesting story behind Frances? He might have been happier with the following response to "Frances?" "Yes, there is a story behind it. After I talked to the guy who I saved from a fire, he calmed me about missing the birth of my children. As I looked over at him to thank him, I noticed a La Crueset storefront behind him which proudly declared 'Made in France'. I knew then I would name my child after that store. I was going to go with Crueset, but I decided that reminded me too much of Cruela which I lost the part for, so I went with 'France', but tweaked it to 'Frances' when Madison looked like she was going to throw up. But, on second thoughts, she's named after the capital of Wisconsin, so why can't I name our daughter after a country. Do you think I should give her a 'Pearson' speech until she relents?"

😄  You should be writing for this show!  We could then have a few laughs which were promised from TPTB a long tme ago.  😃

31 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love named their daughter Frances in 1993.

Frances Bean Cobain.  👩

• Love 4
On 2/20/2021 at 8:27 PM, Ohmo said:

Something about Kate wanting Chloe, but there was a reason that Chloe was out.  Think it had something to do with the birth mother.  I don't remember the reason, but Chloe became Hailey.

We couldn't get a story about Kate and Toby naming this baby Hailey, because we already know from the flash forward that they end up with a daughter named Hailey. If we knew they wanted to name this baby Hailey, it would take any drama about if the birth mother was going to change their mind. We have plenty of time to get a story moving forward if the writers want.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

When my niece was born my grandfather was in a huff because her mom picked such an old fashioned name.  My niece is named Sofia which then turned out to be super trendy the year she was born but we didn't know that at the time (with a ph... poor kid nobody spells her name right, ever)

• Love 2
On 2/16/2021 at 10:18 PM, ams1001 said:

lol...I noticed we hardly saw the twins' faces. I guess they figured there's no amount of suspension of disbelief that will make the audience buy old-enough-to-be-infant-actors as six-week-early twins. (Were they even real babies?)

Seriously! Six week early twins?! I had 4 week early twins & they were in the hospital for 2 weeks on feeding tubes because they couldn't eat on their own. Their weight was meticulously reported every day as we waited to see if they gained weight yet. Leaving the hospital without them was the worst experience of my life. 

My first was 13 weeks early, kdawg, and my second was five weeks early so I know exactly what you are talking about.  My husband gave me a teddy bear for each one that I held and cried into as we drove home.  I actually get huffy when people joke about preemies or when shows decide it’s a good dramatic twist and they then screw up all the details.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, Kdawg82 said:

Seriously! Six week early twins?! I had 4 week early twins & they were in the hospital for 2 weeks on feeding tubes because they couldn't eat on their own. Their weight was meticulously reported every day as we waited to see if they gained weight yet. Leaving the hospital without them was the worst experience of my life. 

Same, but my guy was five weeks early, "big" for a preemie (6 lb, 3 oz).  Couldn't eat on his own, so he was there for 11 days.  He's almost 2 1/2 now, loves most foods (ESPECIALLY carbs and cheese.  And anything with sauce) but skinny for his height/age.  It's amazing how much they can change.  

• Love 3

yeah, I was born at 25 weeks and I am still skinny - i'm 5'7" 125 lbs. Preemies tend to not go home immediately. I get that they didn't want another NICU storyline etc etc, but at least be like "oh yeah Kevin used his money to hire nurses to monitor the twins 24/7 and has a helicopter just sitting there to fly the twins to the hospital if they need it"

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm glad they didn't do another  NICU episode and it would have been hard and unbelievable during Covid. One of my twins was 4.6 and the other 5 something and they were healthy born in July instead of August.   It's their apgar scores. If high enough, they are small but okay. The little one had no fat at all, my mom was overjoyed when her thighs started to fill out and her face (Italian) but I didn't find it as unbelievable because of that.

What I found unbelievable is her energy and size 6 a few days after birth. I was thinking of my twin milk supply busting at the seams, me in the shower trying to soften breasts and express and how sore I felt still. I wasn't running after paperazzi and trying to keep up my skinny jeans. lol

Edited by debraran
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, Kimboweena said:

Frances was my mom's name, so I got teary-eyed when I heard the name they picked for their daughter.  She passed in October, 2019, still pretty recent for me.

Frances was my mother's name too. She also passed in October, though 2016. She lived to be 92. We gave my second daughter Frances as her middle name. 

• Love 3
On 2/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, debraran said:

Nice compilation of the "future scenes" all at once. (absent is the last one with Randall and Deja)

This show is going to wreck me at the end, just like Parenthood, isn't it? Damn you, Fogelman!

• Love 2
On 2/17/2021 at 3:55 AM, Haleth said:

Not sure I like the TSA giving special privileges to a movie star.  No matter how much he wore them down with speechifying.

It wasn't special privileges because he's famous -- the TSA will in fact allow you to board a flight even though you've lost your ID. Learned this from my old boss whose wife was able to board a flight without ID. I don't know the details, but my understanding is you go into a room and they try to verify your identity through other methods.

• Love 4