Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: In the Room

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As someone who hands out miniature wooden piglets to everybody she meets during the first week of a new year (damn, not this year) I was thoroughly confused by the whole conversation between Toby and the old man. Aren't pigs considered lucky charms in the US? (I'm not Austrian but close enough - maybe that's a central European thing?) I did chuckle a bit at Toby ending on the receiving end of another Pearson soliloquy yet delivered by a stranger.

No, here in the US, the pig is not considered lucky, in general.  A lot of Americans have central and eastern European ancestors though and many of us grew up eating pork on New Year's for luck.  I'm Polish/German and that was the custom in my family. Of course, my Polish grandfather insisted on eating Sulze (head cheese) which my grandmother, of Austrian descent, would make for him.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Good thing it was Miguel and not Randall that was with Rebecca, no way would he have made her a cocktail. Then he would have pulled out a really long and condescending power point presentation out on the dangers of mixing alcohol and meds until everyone has passed out due to sheer boredom. The talk they had about Jack was really nice, it must be hard for Miguel sometimes to talk about Jack even though they were best friends for years. 

I thought for sure we'd see that she had a reaction with her meds and then we'd see Randall making the furious trek to the hospital.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

It's certainly a different world than it was in the mid-sixties when I was adopted, but my mom was quite obese (and 40 years old) with four biological children. I'm glad the Childrens' Aid didn't disqualify her because of her weight. Of course the birth mother didn't have any say in things back then, either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I'm not sure why but I have the impression in my mind that in the flashforward when we met Haley, she was older than Jack, which is why I was sure the birth mother was going to change her mind. But this makes Jack a year(ish) older. Am I completely mis-remembering this?

7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'm not sure why but I have the impression in my mind that in the flashforward when we met Haley, she was older than Jack, which is why I was sure the birth mother was going to change her mind. But this makes Jack a year(ish) older. Am I completely mis-remembering this?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't specified how old they were in the flash forward, but Adelaide Kane is a couple years older than Blake Stadnik...maybe she just seemed older because the actress is older..?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm pretty sure it wasn't specified how old they were in the flash forward, but Adelaide Kane is a couple years older than Blake Stadnik...maybe she just seemed older because the actress is older..?

Maybe. I'll have to rewatch it - I keep thinking there was a line about 'big sister' when she was at the hospital.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The stream of my consciousness...

• Who else started off saying "Am I on the right channel?" during that first scene? Couldn't even decide what decade we might be in.

What I said was, "Ugh. I sat on the remote and changed the channel." Then I realized I didn't and wondered why they were showing something other than This is Us. lol

• LOL 6
2 minutes ago, Mldh598 said:

What I said was, "Ugh. I sat on the remote and changed the channel." Then I realized I didn't and wondered why they were showing something other than This is Us. lol

I knew I was on the right channel and immediately yelled at the screen, "This show. AGAIN with the new people!" 😡  It turned out to be OK, because at least these people were just one-shots.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Maybe. I'll have to rewatch it - I keep thinking there was a line about 'big sister' when she was at the hospital.

I don't remember...I just tried to find a video of that scene but I have failed... maybe I need a good luck pig. 🐷

• LOL 6

Not to discourage anyone from using Rose as a middle name, but when we were considering it for my daughter, my mother-in-law came up with a funny response that I always remember.  "Samantha Rose?  Samantha Rose...to go where?"

• LOL 13
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

Not sure I like the TSA giving special privileges to a movie star.  No matter how much he wore them down with speechifying

In real life, it would not be a surprise to see him outed anonymously on social media, as the first line officers are doing all they can to uphold the regulations and putting up with people like Kevin on a daily basis as a result.

I'm curious as to why they chose Dylan's "Don't Think Twice" as the montage song as, even though it has a pretty melody, it's a song about a rather angry breakup in a relationship.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I did chuckle a bit at Toby ending on the receiving end of another Pearson soliloquy yet delivered by a stranger.

Part of me wanted the old man to get an immediate call after handing over the magic pig that his wife's lifeforce had suddenly decreased, along with a question as to whether he knew why that might be the case. 

I did wish Jack had let Rebecca have her moment of trash talking the kids instead of making her feel guilty. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

IMDB is weird sometimes. Last week when I first looked, it listed Josh Malina but the character name was blank, and a little later it had been updated to car crash victim. 

Birth mom said something to the effect of "so you're the one I gave up cold cuts for 9 months for" and joked that it was a big deal because she lives for pastrami (or something like that). Paraphrasing: When I realized you were real, I knew I had to take care of you, even if you were never meant to be mine, and told her Kate was her mother and then we see a nurse bring her to Kate in the other room. I don't know if we knew the name was Hailey (except from the flash forward) but they reveal the full name when Toby sees her on his phone for the first time and says "Hi, Hailey Rose."

The word itself has been around for a while: "Geek was originally an early 20th-century term for a carnival worker who was so unskilled that the only thing the worker could do at the carnival to entice an audience was to bite off the heads of live animals. Essentially, a geek was a socially undesirable person who lacked any skill or ability." (from brittanica.com) According to Merriam-Webster, "geek became synonymous with 'nerd' in the 1950s."

his name was definitely in the credits last week.  I was a little excited when I saw it.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

his name was definitely in the credits last week.  I was a little excited when I saw it.  

I rarely watch TV without also messing around on my computer or something at the same time; I often miss the credits.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

it was the opening credits - while the show is on.  

I think since most shows have gone this route, with no real 'opening' and the credits over the actual scenes*, I tend to tune them out. Sometimes I do it intentionally so as not to be spoiled by a guest appearance, and invariably have to either go back (if it's still on the PVR) or hit up IMDb to get a name.

*I admit it, I miss cheesy tv theme songs, and it's not like we get more show without a regular opening, just more time for commercials.

• Love 7

I don't remember...I just tried to find a video of that scene but I have failed... maybe I need a good luck pig

Is this the scene you are looking for (Hailey meets Hope from Strangers Part Two). Jack just says, 'my sister'.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, kili said:

Is this the scene you are looking for (Hailey meets Hope from Strangers Part Two). Jack just says, 'my sister'.

Yes, I was just looking at it myself, lol. I think maybe I assumed she was older because it was older kids that Toby and Kate were looking at (on the phone).

• Love 1

I don't know what year the conversation Nasir and Esther had about him being three hours late was supposed to take place, but I assume it was in the 70s some time.  Question is:  was the term "video" in regular use back then?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I think since most shows have gone this route, with no real 'opening' and the credits over the actual scenes*, I tend to tune them out. Sometimes I do it intentionally so as not to be spoiled by a guest appearance, and invariably have to either go back (if it's still on the PVR) or hit up IMDb to get a name.

*I admit it, I miss cheesy tv theme songs, and it's not like we get more show without a regular opening, just more time for commercials.

That Joel McHale show Community did a spoof on law and order and they rolled credits throughout the whole show, in the same font and style and L&O.  

I was born in 64......don't tell me about cheesy tv theme songs. lol those were the best.  🙂

36 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I don't know what year the conversation Nasir and Esther had about him being three hours late was supposed to take place, but I assume it was in the 70s some time.  Question is:  was the term "video" in regular use back then?

my grade school in the early 70's had an AV club (audio/video)  They would roll in the movie projector or overhead projector and screen for the teachers.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Immediately called it that Rose would be the middle name as soon as the man said it.  On the new show Kenan that premiered before this one, there as a joke on how someone gambles on This Is Us plot twists.  This would have been an easy bet to make. 

"If it turned out Rebecca was schizophrenic or Randall adopted Kevin's babies, I would have won big." 

Kenan, please don't give them ideas...

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I'm curious as to why they chose Dylan's "Don't Think Twice" as the montage song as, even though it has a pretty melody, it's a song about a rather angry breakup in a relationship.

That bothered me too.  Very odd song choice. 

I also find it hard to believe that someone would give a healthy newborn to someone as obese as Kate who also has a special needs toddler.  A birth mother would have many choices and generally would want someone not only loving and fond of the same TV shows, but also able to keep up with a newborn and a toddler.  I don't see how Kate could bend over to pick up a child or a toy from the floor.  I had 4 children in a few years and I know what that was like. But it's TV and she is a Pearson, and their lives are run by magic.  It's basically just a soap opera at this point.

Edited by MBayGal
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I don't know why Rose's husband couldn't have said, "Excuse me, I see that you are all set up and everything, could I ask a huge favor of you and have you move so I can have that spot? It's numbered a lucky number and my wife is so sick and I've been sitting in it every day and night while she's on the ventilator. It would mean a lot to both of us."  I'm sure Toby would have moved for that.  But no, the guy has to come across as a jackass first so we then get the backstory and Toby backing down.  There really was no need for Rose's husband to act like that, tired/stressed/scared as he was. That part of the episode bothered me.

I think people on this show are incapable of having conversations that don't lead to the revelation of one's life story.  And just so I understand, Toby was never going to get to go into the hospital, correct?  They were essentially paying a babysitter to watch Jack so Toby could sit in a parking lot for however many hours and offer moral support by phone?  That seems somewhat counterproductive. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

I think people on this show are incapable of having conversations that don't lead to the revelation of one's life story.  And just so I understand, Toby was never going to get to go into the hospital, correct?  They were essentially paying a babysitter to watch Jack so Toby could sit in a parking lot for however many hours and offer moral support by phone?  That seems somewhat counterproductive. 

I forget how long they had to drive when they first met Ellie (I feel like they had a bit of a drive, at least, but don't quote me on that). I assume the hospital was near where she lives. I can see how Toby would want to be nearby, but tailgating in the parking lot? He probably could have gotten a hotel room nearby and been a lot more comfortable.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

It must have before Nasir's team finalized the Discrete Cosine Transform in 1972, and no earlier than 1968 because Esther mentioned that their son was four. Nasir and Esther met in 1963, so the earliest their son could have been born was in 1964.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, Blakeston said:

We were supposed to believe that the birth mom chose them because she and Kate have a lot in common, pop-culture-wise.

I have to agree with those who say that everything working out the way it did was hard to swallow.

It's unusual for anyone, aside from celebrities, to be chosen for adoption by a birth mother as quickly as Kate and Toby were. I know it's happened in real life, but it's got to be rare.

Then add in that this was the perfect birth mother. She knew from the get-go that she wanted to give the baby away, and she never wavered. She had a stable life, and no apparent health problems, and she was knocked up by some guy who's completely out of the picture and won't interfere, and she'd already given birth before, so she knew what she was getting into! She was a unicorn among birth mothers.

That alone is extraordinary luck on Kate and Toby's part.

Add in that Kate is super-obese (the level above morbidly obese) in a society where prejudice against fat people runs deep. And that it's common knowledge that someone as heavy as Kate is disproportionately likely to end up with debilitating health problems. And that Toby has depression issues and heart problems. And that Kate and Toby got into an argument in front of the birth mother immediately after meeting her, and she chose them anyway!

Suspending disbelief on this is pretty hard, even on a show where lots of crazy things happen.

Yes to all of this.  I remember thinking that perfect birth mother story was dumb from the get go.  

What I'm surprised by is they didn't have a storyline where Kate and Toby were rejected precisely for her weight issues by multiple birth moms  and then they meet with Ellie and she is concerned about her health.  Then  Kate gives the Pearson speech on why her weight isn't an issue, then voila -- gets chosen as the adoptive mom.  At least it would've seemed more realistic.

And zero concerns about a blind infant (how old is Jack supposed to be now?).

Edited by Boo Boo
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I forget how long they had to drive when they first met Ellie (I feel like they had a bit of a drive, at least, but don't quote me on that). I assume the hospital was near where she lives. I can see how Toby would want to be nearby, but tailgating in the parking lot? He probably could have gotten a hotel room nearby and been a lot more comfortable.

But tailgating is free of charge, plus he got he a free pig figurine to boot!

The hotel clerk would have had to engage in a reverse Pearson story to inspire the middle name of Rose, or Hilton...

Edited by CrystalBlue
Second thought.
  • LOL 12
19 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Interesting how freaked out about needles people can get. Madison is about to push two babies out of her body and she's freaked out over a needle! I'd want that needle stuck in me as fast as possible if I was about to feel that pain. I know needles are a thing for a lot of people though.

Epidural needles are big honking needles!!!

I’m glad they didn’t put Griffin Dunne’s name in the opening credits. I would have been satisfied knowing the baby was named after Uncle Nicky and knowing he would be glad about that. Seeing him and the “how about that!” was extra special.

• Love 15
56 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I guess they'd be taking Hailey home within a few hours of her birth and they didn't want to worry about waking Jack at whatever time that may be, but both wanted that experience? I can't think of any other reason they did that. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

Interesting how freaked out about needles people can get. Madison is about to push two babies out of her body and she's freaked out over a needle! I'd want that needle stuck in me as fast as possible if I was about to feel that pain. I know needles are a thing for a lot of people though.

Ha!  I’m with you. When I gave birth, the anesthetist had to try a couple of times to get the needle in the right place because of a slight curvature of my spine. My husband freaked and told him to stop. I, on the other hand, yelled at the doctor to keep going and at my husband to shut up. That blessed, blessed epidural!

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
39 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Ha!  I’m with you. When I gave birth, the anesthetist had to try a couple of times to get the needle in the right place because of a slight curvature of my spine. My husband freaked and told him to stop. I, on the other hand, yelled at the doctor to keep going and at my husband to shut up. That blessed, blessed epidural!

My theory on needles: just don't look! (Oddly enough, I don't mind watching the vial fill with my blood, but I won't watch the needle go in.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Epidural needles are big honking needles!!!

I’m glad they didn’t put Griffin Dunne’s name in the opening credits. I would have been satisfied knowing the baby was named after Uncle Nicky and knowing he would be glad about that. Seeing him and the “how about that!” was extra special.

I had a son and twin girls and never had an epidural . I never knew the needle was that big! I know a godsend for some but glad I could skip it.

I wish Kate and Toby seemed a little more concerned about Jack especially with his disability. I'll assume they knew her well.  I was an over anxious mom I guess. My best friend had my son and I wasn't worried but wanted to keep him in the loop. I couldn't wait to tell them my girls were born.

I assume will see Hailey's new bedroom and some funny and not so funny scenes with the kids but by the time Covid ends, they might be walking!

I love Nicky and I hope him and Miguel have some bonding later.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My theory on needles: just don't look! (Oddly enough, I don't mind watching the vial fill with my blood, but I won't watch the needle go in.)

My daughter freaks about needles.  I keep telling her DO NOT LOOK.  But she always does and fainted the last time.  

• Love 2

I assumed Toby was waiting in the parking lot so he’d be able to see the baby in person at the first possible opportunity.

There was also the very real possibility that they wouldn't get the baby. I'm sure Toby and Kate wanted to be close to each other in case everything went south.

I'm sure they had a qualified baby sitter. I think it is okay for the parents to leave him for a short while so that they can support each other and meet their new baby.

Rebecca should have put the wet papers she really wanted to save in the freezer. The paper will freeze and the ice will sublimate out without the paper wrinkling.  Less running of the ink as well. Although, maybe those pictures were too far gone already (and the damage of that picture was part of its charm). 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
56 minutes ago, kili said:

I think it is okay for the parents to leave him for a short while so that they can support each other and meet their new baby.

Especially since he's really too young to know what's going on, anyway.

• Love 7

Two comments by 90s Jack & Rebecca at the cabin: 

Jack: "We only have a few more years together...under the same roof" and Rebecca: "Our family is not ending anytime soon." were heavy handed but really a gigantic bummer. 

Then the foreshadowing of her future sheltering with Miguel at the cabin instead of Jack because of the pandemic as old people living in a cabin in the woods...sigh. That all got me. 

The whole episode was great. Like an "ah, there's my show" kind of episode. I'm so glad no one died. Long live Madison and Kate, I hope. 

Edited by HollyGoLitely333
clarity
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

In real life, it would not be a surprise to see him outed anonymously on social media, as the first line officers are doing all they can to uphold the regulations and putting up with people like Kevin on a daily basis as a result.

But even for a random joe there are procedures for people who don't have ID for whatever reason (a couple people mentioned they or someone they know having done this in the thread for the last episode), and it wouldn't necessarily take a whole day like the TSA lady initially said. Since he clearly said he spoke to the head of TSA, I assume that's what happened here. Maybe they expedited for him given his flight was leaving soon and he had a good reason for not wanting to miss that particular flight. I could see this happening even for someone in his situation who's not a celebrity. Doesn't seem all that out of line to me.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I'm interested to see if it becomes an issue that Kevin and Kate have a new Big Three that entirely excludes Randall and his children.   

Also a point to consider: Kate and Toby have one child that is part of the Big Three 2.0 (the female, presumably healthy one) and one child that is not (the older, special needs child.) If Hayley Rose is favored or presumed to be favored because of her Big Three-ness, the show is going to have to work very hard to show that Kate, Kevin, etc. aren't favoring the healthy child over the special needs child.

• Love 2

Perhaps the TSA agent recognized Kevin and googled and approved his boarding the plane as a US citizen and not a threat.

I loved it when Nasir asked her husband years later basically to tell her what he did  as if she was a four year old. And he did. And she saw the future.

Jack could never give up being his kids hero or center of their universe even when they were teens and had lives of their own. A flaw in parenthood.  He should be involved in their teen years but not make it all family.

Good grief - Mandy had 1 cocktail which was unusual but not the end of the world. If she had asked for another - perhaps concerning. But she didn't.

Hopefully Randall will settle down a little.

But the drama is around the corner for the next episode.

Edited by maggiemae
21 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Also a point to consider: Kate and Toby have one child that is part of the Big Three 2.0 (the female, presumably healthy one) and one child that is not (the older, special needs child.) If Hayley Rose is favored or presumed to be favored because of her Big Three-ness, the show is going to have to work very hard to show that Kate, Kevin, etc. aren't favoring the healthy child over the special needs child.

We know from the 2050 flash-forward that Baby Jack and Hailey are close as adults; she's the first visitor when his wife gives birth to their daughter. So whatever rivalries they may have had growing up didn't seem to carry into adulthood. We've also seen flash-forwards of Baby Jack playing music at various ages, and since Kate also loves music, I'm sure they'll share a special bond over it - unless she dies young as has been speculated.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5